ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

As I said, true insiders. Phil still thinks we're hiring Al Golden.

giphy.gif

Johnson, Isaac, Harrison and one other recruit were having good laughs together Saturday. I have a photo from north end zone, but can't identify the recruit wearing the stocking cap.
Nice trifecta of the three I know. :cool:
Apologies for not posting the photo.

OL
The other one was likely Mazi Smith. He was wearing a blue and white striped stocking cap. He is from Michigan and has been trending toward UM.

Rodas Johnson is very interesting: from Columbus, no OSU offer. #207 player in the country.

DL recruiting now may be becoming as interesting as DB recruiting in so far as lots of great options, who pulls the trigger first? How many can we fit in the class?
Harrison, Alfano, M. Smith, Faucheux, R. Johnson, Isaac, Ojabo, Harrison-Hunte

Nobody seems to think PSU has a shot in the Ford sweepstakes, especially after the canceled OSU visit.

Right now, I just can't fathom a top flight RB turning PSU down for VTech of all schools.
While I wouldn't count Penn State out on Ford just yet, it's ridiculous to believe that Va Tech wouldn't be an attractive program for Ford at this point. They have a young, innovative coach, great tradition, and they are in state for Ford. Also, there may not be as many stud RBs ahead of Ford if he goes to Va Tech.

While I wouldn't count Penn State out on Ford just yet, it's ridiculous to believe that Va Tech wouldn't be an attractive program for Ford at this point. They have a young, innovative coach, great tradition, and they are in state for Ford. Also, there may not be as many stud RBs ahead of Ford if he goes to Va Tech.

Very true. But I do like CJF's strategy to target top RB talent and it seems he brings in a smaller number overall (1 each class) than some other programs such as oh-high-ya. That has to be attractive to top talent in that they have a great chance to come in and play early. Is this by design, or just how things have worked out so far, who knows. Only class that he brought in multiple RB talent was with SB and Robinson, so far. And so far injuries have not hit the RB position to the point that the small numbers has had any negative impact.

Will CJF take 2 RB's in 2019? Interesting to see how it goes, as always.

Not directed at you, but all this opining before we have an OV report is bemusing. He said he'd like to play in the same backfield as Ricky Slade, and made a point of how important Na Na's influence is. As for VT's "tradition", Frank Beamer raised their profile considerably. Other than that, it pretty much comes down to the Vicks.

Great tradition? What have they EVER accomplished? What great backs have they produced ever?

I think a lot of people give Fuente too much credit, he'll be a 7-5, 8-4 coach as long as he's coaching at Tech. FSU, Clemson, and Miami will always be top dogs in the ACC. And to call him innovative seems like a bit of a stretch - I mean, c'mon, they almost lost to PITT at home last year if it wasn't for Narduzzi being Narduzzi on the one yard line.

I can understand the in-state pull and Tech provides a great education. But when it comes down to football and having a chance of playing in the league, PSU vs. Tech is a no-brainer IMO. We'll see how it plays out though, I can respect the kid for doing his due-diligence and what he thinks is best for him.

Great tradition? What have they EVER accomplished? What great backs have they produced ever?

I think a lot of people give Fuente too much credit, he'll be a 7-5, 8-4 coach as long as he's coaching at Tech. FSU, Clemson, and Miami will always be top dogs in the ACC. And to call him innovative seems like a bit of a stretch - I mean, c'mon, they almost lost to PITT at home last year if it wasn't for Narduzzi being Narduzzi on the one yard line.

I can understand the in-state pull and Tech provides a great education. But when it comes down to football and having a chance of playing in the league, PSU vs. Tech is a no-brainer IMO. We'll see how it plays out though, I can respect the kid for doing his due-diligence and what he thinks is best for him.
totally agree. I love VT but, traditionally, haven't been a top tier player when compared to places like Clemson, FSU, FL, Miami, PSU, Michigan, tOSU, etc. They do have a good, young coach and a good QB so who knows what the future brings....having said that, the ugliest uniforms on college football, IMHO>

It's only a 15 minutes drive difference. Beyond in state loyalty, kid likely grew up a Lion no more or less than he did a Hokie.
Let’s hope. VPI didn’t have a scandal during that same period when he could have grown up a fan of either.

So glad that’s getting further and further in rearview mirror.

Oh... Right.... Thanks HBO!

Reactions: ELDADDY

Ok, but Ford is VT elite. That has to count for something.

totally agree. I love VT but, traditionally, haven't been a top tier player when compared to places like Clemson, FSU, FL, Miami, PSU, Michigan, tOSU, etc. They do have a good, young coach and a good QB so who knows what the future brings....having said that, the ugliest uniforms on college football, IMHO>

Wyoming’s and South Dakota’s uniforms are pretty bad. I’d take VPI’s over Rutgers’ too.... just sayin...

David Wilson and Ryan Williams were both early draft picks at RB from VT.

Both got off to good starts in the NFL - then suffered career ending injuries very early in their pro career.

Evan Royster - a late round pick - was the only PSU RB drafted in the last 10 years.

I doubt if any of that will have much effect on the kid you'all are talking about (and I think PSU presents a lot of positives for a regional kid who wants to play TB at a big-time program - and SBarkley is a great "PR Piece")...... but to think that a lack of history at the position hurts VT, is kind of silly.

That's an eye opener to realize that it's been a while since a PSU RB has even been drafted.

I looked up Silas Redd for an update, according to Wiki, he "is currently signed to play rugby league for the Ipswich Jets in the Australian Intrust Super Cup."

That's an eye opener to realize that it's been a while since a PSU RB has even been drafted.

I looked up Silas Redd for an update, according to Wiki, he "is currently signed to play rugby league for the Ipswich Jets in the Australian Intrust Super Cup."
Agreed...however we also have to consider that "the last five years" includes five years from 2011 to 2018. (probably more like 2012 ~ 2017). In addition, #26 dominated the position those years. So, you are really looking at 2007~2017. With that, there aren't that many RB's to chose from. Redd, Bill Belton, Zack Zwinak, Akeel Lynch, etc.

PSU hasn't have very many players drafted in the first three rounds for several years.

Looking good for Alfano, especially after his trip to Alabama and their level of confidence that they moved ahead of PSU.

Alfano is an absolute freak. Mustipher at 1 tech and Alfano at 3 tech and you're looking at the best DT combo in the country. His sparq rating for a DT is unheard of. Then he went on at that Open regional and just WHIPPED ASS on every blue chip OL he lined up across from.

Free (for now).

Also, looks like a CB for Jakai Moore to PSU. Helluvan offer sheet.
"This visit to Penn State was different because it was my mom’s first time up there," Alfano said. "My cousin and best friend came up too. I don’t really think she really understood the magnitude and seriousness of what goes into college football. She actually broke down and started cry because she was in awe. She didn’t know it was that serious and that Penn State had all of those things. This is the first college she’s ever visited with me so she didn’t understand everything that goes into this. That was the biggest difference with this visit compared to the other ones."

"This visit to Penn State was different because it was my mom’s first time up there," Alfano said. "My cousin and best friend came up too. I don’t really think she really understood the magnitude and seriousness of what goes into college football. She actually broke down and started cry because she was in awe. She didn’t know it was that serious and that Penn State had all of those things. This is the first college she’s ever visited with me so she didn’t understand everything that goes into this. That was the biggest difference with this visit compared to the other ones."

Hmmmm..... PSU is the only trip Mom has made. Have to like that!

Reactions: T J

Wow, was just thinking the same thing and trying to analyze their great tradition. They are usually ranked higher than they deserve to be in pre-season, lose when they shouldn't and finish middle of the pack. Plus they have never really won a big game that mattered. I hear it's a nice campus and area, and kids enjoy going to school there, but I don't think VT and great tradition are synonymous.

Wow, was just thinking the same thing and trying to analyze their great tradition. They are usually ranked higher than they deserve to be in pre-season, lose when they shouldn't and finish middle of the pack. Plus they have never really won a big game that mattered. I hear it's a nice campus and area, and kids enjoy going to school there, but I don't think VT and great tradition are synonymous.
I work with a few VT grads, and one of them mentioned the school has never won a national championship. Not just in football, but in all sports. I had to pick my jaw off the floor after I stopped rolling on the floor laughing.

yiolley2q3zyjxc2ph3v

ANTONIO ALFANO
DEFENSIVE TACKLE

6'4'' | 285 LBS
CLASS OF 2019

COLONIA, NJ COLONIA

4-STAR

NATIONAL 124
POSITION 4
STATE 3

In summary...

"I plan on committing no later than August 1st," he said. "The only official visit I’ll take is to the school that I commit to. I’ll take that official visit during the season. I don’t plan on signing in December."

RIVALS' REACTION…

Alfano has really been laying low until the last few weeks and now the end of his recruitment is in sight.

It's hard not to see Penn State as the leader at this point but Alabama and Georgia will not [be] easy to beat.

Alfano's situation is an interesting one to follow as all three head coaches are excellent recruiters.

Last edited:
In summary...

"I plan on committing no later than August 1st," he said. "The only official visit I’ll take is to the school that I commit to. I’ll take that official visit during the season. I don’t plan on signing in December."

RIVALS' REACTION…

Alfano has really been laying low until the last few weeks and now the end of his recruitment is in sight.

It's hard not to see Penn State as the leader at this point but Alabama and Georgia will not [be] easy to beat.

Alfano's situation is an interesting one to follow as all three head coaches are excellent recruiters.

4_7773326.jpg

ANTONIO ALFANO

4-Star

• DT
  • 6-4
  • 40 4.82
  • CLASS OF 19
COLONIA, NJ (COLONIA)

— 247SPORTS COMPOSITE —

Not directed at you, but all this opining before we have an OV report is bemusing. He said he'd like to play in the same backfield as Ricky Slade, and made a point of how important Na Na's influence is. As for VT's "tradition", Frank Beamer raised their profile considerably. Other than that, it pretty much comes down to the Vicks.
I'm not saying that we have no chance, but you are foolish to think that there aren't other programs that may have equal or even superior selling points to a given recruit. It's not like he's supposed to be a heavy lean to Va Commonwealth over Penn State. Va Tech is a legitimate P5 program. The good news is that our opinions don't count, but we would be setting ourselves up for a pretty big fall if we thought that we'd get every recruit that we wanted.

Feeling all kinds of good about our standing with Alfano after reading that and for multiple reasons. WE ARE!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT