ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Anyone else surprised about the Porter announcement? He didn't seem to be that near on the radar, at least of the conversational kind. Whatever, he looks like a real good prospect. It may signal the end to defensive back recruitment.

Not a lot of chatter on him but the article I read made it sound as if he was 100% PSU very early. Also didn't sound like he was waiting for a green light, but recruits rarely discuss that. He is a very good get IMO ability and measurement wise. There's a market for tall CBs and he could be a pick-monster at safety with his size and wingspan. You get the Steelers/Pittsburgh stuff and it would seem that he will be very coachable because of the family trade.

Maybe a spot left open for Cine?

Not a lot of chatter on him but the article I read made it sound as if he was 100% PSU very early. Also didn't sound like he was waiting for a green light, but recruits rarely discuss that. He is a very good get IMO ability and measurement wise. There's a market for tall CBs and he could be a pick-monster at safety with his size and wingspan. You get the Steelers/Pittsburgh stuff and it would seem that he will be very coachable because of the family trade.

There will be a spot left for Cine. Porter could easily grow out of CB.

Will Porter enroll early?
I could see him coming in early getting good weight room time for a fullredshirt year and being in the mix as a RSFR at least on special teams.
Hope the best for him.

There will be a spot left for Cine. Porter could easily grow out of CB.
Yeah, just checked out some bio info on his dad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Porter

Played RB and WR in high school, began as an H-back at Colorado State, and moved to the D-line as a pass rusher by his junior season and finished with a 15-sack season. Drafted in the 3rd round and had an outstanding pro career with 98 sacks total.

Based on family history, plus recent growth for Joey, Jr., yes, could definitely see him grow into another position. I really like his potential based on what I read about him.

Anyone else surprised about the Porter announcement? He didn't seem to be that near on the radar, at least of the conversational kind. Whatever, he looks like a real good prospect. It may signal the end to defensive back recruitment.

i believe he is a Safety or Linebacker recruit. Kids got the frame, Anxious to see what Dwight Galt and Porter Jr can create together.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
Pulling in Porter is cool for many reasons. Among them is the continuing trend of our ability to pull in the children of former NFL players. Humphries, Hawkins, Cullpepper, Porter... the beat goes on. It really goes against the narrative of Franklin as a carnival barker. Players who know what it takes to play at the highest level trust Franklin enough to entrust their children to him. It’s a great sign.

Pulling in Porter is cool for many reasons. Among them is the continuing trend of our ability to pull in the children of former NFL players. Humphries, Hawkins, Cullpepper, Porter... the beat goes on. It really goes against the narrative of Franklin as a carnival barker. Players who know what it takes to play at the highest level trust Franklin enough to entrust their children to him. It’s a great sign.
Add in Michael Johnson, Jr. whose father is another P5 coach - another indication that people with an eye for these types of things believe our staff is doing something right for their children.

Deja Joe!

Not to mention Michael Johnson Jr., a P5 College Coaches son.

Reactions: TheGLOV

IMO, Franklin set all this up after reading the articles and Porter knowing he was coming to PSU CJF just wanted to rub Add to rub Nardawgs nose in it, by having Porter Jr take in the PSU/Pitt game on Pitts dime and then immediately after the beat down announce publically his commitment to PSU. That way the story gets more pub since he was just visiting Pitt, PSU continues its DOMINATE THE STATE motto by getting the #1 recruit in Pennsylvania and Pitt is left looking ridiculous yet again! CJF is always working his Psychology degree to the max, IMO and it usually works out well for PSU!

IMO, Franklin set all this up after reading the articles and Porter knowing he was coming to PSU CJF just wanted to rub Add to rub Nardawgs nose in it, by having Porter Jr take in the PSU/Pitt game on Pitts dime and then immediately after the beat down announce publically his commitment to PSU. That way the story gets more pub since he was just visiting Pitt, PSU continues its DOMINATE THE STATE motto by getting the #1 recruit in Pennsylvania and Pitt is left looking ridiculous yet again! CJF is always working his Psychology degree to the max, IMO and it usually works out well for PSU!
Perhaps. On the other hand, committing to PSU is a momentous occasion in a young man’s life, and for his family as well. Knowing CJF’s efforts to foster a family vibe for his players and his recruits, I find it incrogrous that CJF would use such an opportunity to play mind games on someone who we all know isn’t worth the effort. You may be right, and, yeah, it’s funny to think how he may have played CPN, but, IMO, CJF has always been a big picture guy and this doesn’t fit my profile of him.

I dont believe CJF would use psychology here for Duzzi. The only way he would use psychology is if he felt another coach was a threat to him in the recruiting trail. Duzzi isnt a threat to him on the recruiting trail, not as a coach and not as anything of importance. He doesnt need to use any tactic against Pitt or Duzzi.

Perhaps. On the other hand, committing to PSU is a momentous occasion in a young man’s life, and for his family as well. Knowing CJF’s efforts to foster a family vibe for his players and his recruits, I find it incrogrous that CJF would use such an opportunity to play mind games on someone who we all know isn’t worth the effort. You may be right, and, yeah, it’s funny to think how he may have played CPN, but, IMO, CJF has always been a big picture guy and this doesn’t fit my profile of him.
I guess I’m saying is that if CPN got played then it was the Porters who played him. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I dont believe CJF would use psychology here for Duzzi. The only way he would use psychology is if he felt another coach was a threat to him in the recruiting trail. Duzzi isnt a threat to him on the recruiting trail, not as a coach and not as anything of importance. He doesnt need to use any tactic against Pitt or Duzzi.
51-6 is tactic enough.

I seriously doubt Franklin would involve a high school kid in metaphorically bitch slapping another coach.

We've broken the Pitt fans. Like a wild horse that now docilely accepts the saddle. Kind of sad.

We have 4 senior starters, they have 13. Next year is going to be worse for them.

Sean Miller Fan
Board of Trustee
Gold Member

"Joey Porter to PSU. The Pine Richland kids going elsewhere. Sanders, Wade and others."

Narduzzi isnt going to beat Franklin for another recruit that Franklin truly wants. Period.

PittPoker
Assistant Coach
Gold Member

"HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY FOUR STARS COMMITTED YET FROM anywhere!"

Right. He's now getting commits that have no P5 offers, or choosing us over MAC schools. It's a joke.

Last edited:
We've broken the Pitt fans. Like a wild horse that now docilely accepts the saddle. Kind of sad.

We have 4 senior starters, they have 13. Next year is going to be worse for them.

Sean Miller Fan
Board of Trustee
Gold Member

"Joey Porter to PSU. The Pine Richland kids going elsewhere. Sanders, Wade and others."

Narduzzi isnt going to beat Franklin for another recruit that Franklin truly wants. Period.

PittPoker
Assistant Coach
Gold Member

"HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY FOUR STARS COMMITTED YET FROM anywhere!"

Right. He's now getting commits that have no P5 offers, or choosing us over MAC schools. It's a joke.

Judge, I said the same thing to a Pitt fan semi-friend of mine about next year. SHE is dreading it already!!!!!

JARED HUNTE

n3rpbf240oxhcraxphi0

-

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION
JARED
HUNTE

RANK
6'4" | 285 LBS | DT
CHRIST THE KING
MIDDLE VILLAGE, NY
CLASS OF 2019
UNDECIDED
Top contenders: Penn State, Ohio State, Georgia and Clemson

Breakdown: Penn State seems like it is in the driver's seat for Hunte. He's visited multiple times and has developed a strong relationship with the coaches, but he has held off on a commitment because of the interest from other schools. Ohio State has been a major contender for Hunte almost since the beginning of his recruitment, but it seems Penn State has surpassed the Buckeyes. Georgia and Clemson feel like wildcards here. They could become bigger factors in this race as the recruiting process rolls on.

Prediction: Penn State

JARED HUNTE

n3rpbf240oxhcraxphi0

-

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION
JARED
HUNTE

RANK
6'4" | 285 LBS | DT
CHRIST THE KING
MIDDLE VILLAGE, NY
CLASS OF 2019
UNDECIDED
Top contenders: Penn State, Ohio State, Georgia and Clemson

Breakdown: Penn State seems like it is in the driver's seat for Hunte. He's visited multiple times and has developed a strong relationship with the coaches, but he has held off on a commitment because of the interest from other schools. Ohio State has been a major contender for Hunte almost since the beginning of his recruitment, but it seems Penn State has surpassed the Buckeyes. Georgia and Clemson feel like wildcards here. They could become bigger factors in this race as the recruiting process rolls on.

Prediction: Penn State

Someone should ask Friedman why Hunte is a 3 star if his final 4 is PSU, OSU, UGA and Clemson

I don't see Young going to Rutgers. If it was so simple, he'd already have verbaled.

Rutgres is having some major issues. Bunch of kids who got arrested etc, so his brother being there isn’t the slam dunk it should be. He’s not a take here until Cain or another plan A decides.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT