ADVERTISEMENT

2019 NFL combine thread

Except of course the NFL disagrees with you. If you are not a sure fire 1st or 2nd round pick like a SB, they think you should stay in school so out of our guys who declared who is that? So other than that guy they should have come back to school. They can get insurance against injury and PSU can pay for it.

Again the NFL disagrees with you. I’ll rephrase, if you have eligibility left and are not a first or second sure pick you should come back. Another year practicing your craft is the way to go
Not my opinion the NFLs opinion

Of the guys that stay for another year who is a sure fire 1st or 2nd pick?

Your point goes out the window once admit the fact that most of them won't go in the 1st/2nd round, won't get drafted anywhere and won't even end up in the NFL. Not my opinion, NFL stats.

According to SI, 80% of NFL players will end up bankrupt. I could make the argument that players with enough credits to graduate with a good degree should quit the team immediately to avoid injuries, leave school and get a job.

Trace a winner at combine.

Trace McSorley, Penn State: McSorley declined a request to work out with defensive backs this weekend, opting only to run and throw with the QBs. His 4.57 40-yard dash was the quickest of all signal-callers. Even if McSorely doesn't get drafted or make it as a QB, Jeremiah sees a future for him in the game.

"Some people will say it's cheesy I think it's accurate. He's a football player," Jeremiah said. "He's going to hang around in some capacity."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...eremiahs-day-3-nfl-scouting-combine-takeaways

Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley has declined to work out with the defensive backs Monday, ESPN reports. McSorley wants to concentrate on being a quarterback, who are working out at the NFL Scouting Combine on Saturday.

McSorley ran an official time of 4.57 in the 40-yard dash, leading all quarterbacks.

Teams asked 41 players to work out at another position, according to NFL Media.

Ohio State defensive lineman Nick Bosa (LB), Michigan defensive lineman Rashan Gary (LB), Kentucky linebacker Josh Allen (DL), Houston defensive lineman Ed Oliver (LB), Mississippi State quarterback Nick Fitzgerald (TE), Florida Atlantic running back Devin Singletary (WR), Iowa State receiver Hakeem Butler (TE) and Ohio State defensive lineman Dre’Mont Jones (LB) were among those who were asked to work out at another position. It is unclear who, if any, of those will work out at more than one position.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-trace-mcsorley-declines-dbs-184847105.html

Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley has declined to work out with the defensive backs Monday, ESPN reports

2 days late.

But good for him

Peter King on TM....
• Penn State’s Trace McSorley. Trace McSorley? The guy who was likely one of the last of the 17 quarterbacks invited to the combine in the eyes of NFL scouts, and who turned down a request to work with the safeties. No, he said; he’s a quarterback. I don’t know if he will be, but he impressed me throwing the ball, particularly on the 25-yard outs that every passer had to throw. He was the fastest (4.57 in the 40) quarterback on site, with Murray not running, and had a little quickness to him too. I thought of him as a backup QB, special-teams weapon, and maybe receiver, a guy who could be your 51st player, active some week and inactive others.

So I asked Sean Payton about McSorley on Sunday night. “When I looked at him, my first thought was, ‘I wonder if he can be [Julian] Edelman?’ I wondered if he could be a versatile kind of guy.”

I’ll be fascinated to see his NFL fate. He might not get drafted, but he’ll be a hard free-agent (if that’s his lot) for a team to cut. “Nobody’s gonna outwork me,” McSorley said. “They’re gonna have to drag me off the field.”

What happened to his 4.87 40 time. On NFL.com it still lists the 5,08 as U or unofficial
Tia
well here is the answer...
Thanks to a testing error, no defensive player saw a more up-and-down day at the NFL Combine than Penn State’s Kevin Givens.

Both Givens and Shareef Miller took part in Sunday’s portion of the combine at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis and experienced success in different areas. But Givens initially sent Twitter ablaze after NFL Network’s telecast showed an unofficial 40-yard dash time of 4.87 seconds — a time that, nearly an hour later, was corrected to 5.08 seconds.

you time him, and see what you get....I'd love to see the overlay of this and check them...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combi...-Nashville-Episode-1-The-draft-journey-begins

Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley has declined to work out with the defensive backs Monday, ESPN reports

I don't blame him. His desire to be a QB aside, unless he has prepared himself for the DB drills working out at that position could hurt more than help. Also teams considering him at QB might take his willingness to be a DB as a negative, saying he's not committed to the QB position. I think the risk of doing the DB workouts outweighs the rewards. The only way I think it would have been smart is if Trace knew he'd grade out well in the DB workouts and if he hadn't prepared for them that's probably a big risk. I think turning down that offer is the smart move.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
We talking sanders?

If so, just about 100% sure he didn't have any fumbles against MSU (McSorley had one, very early on in the game)

I don't recall OTTOMH exactly how many he had over the course of the season - but certainly more than one would like.

I thought he had 1 when we were driving late and then another that was overturned upon review but it was (iffy)

Nah. Not vs MSU.
If I had to guess, you may be recalling the Iowa game (OTTOMH, I think he had two that game)

You got me curious, so I looked it up:

https://gopsusports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=3667&path=football#play-by-play

Trace lost a fumble of the first possession (IIRC, he had dropped back, and then was steeping up in the pocket to run the ball - but got stripped from a guy coming from the side who he didn't see).

That was PSU's only fumble of the game.
Sanders had 17 clean touches.

Thanks for the correction.
I know it was a home game and I know the weather was crappy...oh that explains it. the weather sucked for all of our games. ;)

Reactions: LionJim
https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...-nfl-combine-clocking-a-447-40-yard-dash.html

Penn State corner Amani Oruwariye flashes serious speed at NFL combine, clocking a 4.47 40-yard dash
Updated 12:15 PM; Posted 12:15 PM
EDQNKTJU5NDXHLEOIV476QNLRU.JPG

Amani Oruwariye #21 of the Penn State Nittany Lions celebrates after intercepting a pass in overtime to clinch the win against the Appalachian State Mountaineers on September 1, 2018 at Beaver Stadium in State College, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) (Justin K. Aller)
By Bob Flounders | bflounders@pennlive.com

Penn State’s Amani Oruwariye made huge developmental strides during his five-year college career, going from reserve to first-team All-Big Ten. And the Nittany Lions’ “big” corner showcased his speed at the NFL scouting combine on Monday morning in Indianapolis.

Oruwariye was clocked at 4.47 seconds in the 40-yard dash. The 6-1 Oruwariye recorded the time carrying 205 pounds on his frame. He also did 17 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press event. There are no other testing numbers available for Oruwariye, who is viewed as one of the top corners available in the NFL draft in late April.

His fast 40 time brings to mind the combine performance of former Penn State teammate Troy Apke in 2018. Apke, a safety, ran a 4.34 40. He also produced a 41-inch vertical leap and did 16 reps in the bench press.

Oruwariye was the Lions’ fourth cornerback on Penn State’s 2016 Big Ten championship season. He was PSU’s No. 3 corner in 2017 and intercepted four passes, earning second-team All-Big Ten honors.

And Oruwariye produced his finest season in 2018, finishing with three interceptions and 12 pass breakups. He also recorded 51 tackles, 40 of them solos.

Lance Zierlein, an analyst for NFL.com, compares Oruwariye to Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Rasul Douglas.

Here is Zierlein’s evaulation of Oruwariye on the NFL.com website:

“(Oruwariye) can be an effective press-man defender, but must win at the line of scrimmage or he could become an early target for quarterbacks as he lacks makeup speed once he's beaten,’’ Zierlein wrote.

“Oruwariye is a proven disruptor at the catch point and is willing to step up and take on run support duties. When all factors are considered, he’ll be considered a scheme fit for zone-heavy teams who covet physicality in press.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Testing Numbers - How he ranked versus the field:

Bench Press: 17 reps (5th among CBs)

40-Yard Dash: 4.47 (tied for 9th among CBs)

Vertical Leap: 36.5" (11th among CBs)

Broad Jump: 10' (13th among CBs)

Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley has declined to work out with the defensive backs Monday, ESPN reports. McSorley wants to concentrate on being a quarterback, who are working out at the NFL Scouting Combine on Saturday.

McSorley ran an official time of 4.57 in the 40-yard dash, leading all quarterbacks.

Teams asked 41 players to work out at another position, according to NFL Media.

Ohio State defensive lineman Nick Bosa (LB), Michigan defensive lineman Rashan Gary (LB), Kentucky linebacker Josh Allen (DL), Houston defensive lineman Ed Oliver (LB), Mississippi State quarterback Nick Fitzgerald (TE), Florida Atlantic running back Devin Singletary (WR), Iowa State receiver Hakeem Butler (TE) and Ohio State defensive lineman Dre’Mont Jones (LB) were among those who were asked to work out at another position. It is unclear who, if any, of those will work out at more than one position.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-trace-mcsorley-declines-dbs-184847105.html
I mean, all of those guys were asked to work out at similar positions. The trace workout at DB was a silly ask IMO.

of the 18 throws that I saw 17 hit the receiver in the hands. He missed on 1 deep throw.
It very much looked to me like the receivers were waiting for the ball to arrive, or else had to reach up/down/out, on almost every throw. It's clear that your position was that he was among the best QBs out there, and I admit all the rest of them could have been just as bad, but I guess the draft will prove which of us is the better QB evaluator.

It very much looked to me like the receivers were waiting for the ball to arrive, or else had to reach up/down/out, on almost every throw. It's clear that your position was that he was among the best QBs out there, and I admit all the rest of them could have been just as bad, but I guess the draft will prove which of us is the better QB evaluator.
You are assuming facts not in evidence you said of his first 10 throws only 2 were accurate. I just pointed out that all but 1 hit a receivers hand. That’s not a QB evaluation
I think it will be a real stretch for TM to get drafted above the 4th round. If you want to write an evaluation knock yourself out. But your declarative statement that only 2/10 passes were delivered accurately is, IMO just wrong

Reactions: 81b&w
You are assuming facts not in evidence you said of his first 10 throws only 2 were accurate. I just pointed out that all but 1 hit a receivers hand. That’s not a QB evaluation
I think it will be a real stretch for TM to get drafted above the 4th round. If you want to write an evaluation knock yourself out. But your declarative statement that only 2/10 passes were delivered accurately is, IMO just wrong
I never used the word "accurate", so work on reading before trying to evaluate QBs, and definitely before trying to argue.

The thing about drafting QBs: somebody has to believe in you. Somebody has to think, "this guy is worth a roster spot for 2 years" before pulling the trigger.

I'm confident he ends up on a squad, but I honestly don't have a projection of whether he's drafted or UFA. Somebody else mentioned it, but I could see a Cleveland or a Baltimore bringing him in because he fits the mold behind the incumbent QBs. (Even if he doesn't have Baker's arm or Lamar's height)

Reactions: LionJim
I'm confident he ends up on a squad, but I honestly don't have a projection of whether he's drafted or UFA.
The Steelers drafted a long snapper in the 6th round 2 years ago. He should get drafted even if it's in the later rounds on his speed and elusiveness alone.

The video got choppy, but of his first 10 throws, only 2 looked like they were on time/target.
I never used the word "accurate", so work on reading before trying to evaluate QBs, and definitely before trying to argue.
So on target does not mean accurately
Got it. (/ means and ,or. one or the other)
Keep moving the goal posts

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT