ADVERTISEMENT

2019 NFL combine thread

From Sluggo:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker#day=friday

Ryan Bates ran a 5.09 40.

on Bates:
Overview
College tackle lacking the physical profile to stay at tackle in the NFL but deficient in leverage and power that could make a transition to guard too challenging. Bates was an unassuming run-blocker but showed some life in pass pro. His down blocks don't create much push and he rarely plays under the pads of his opponents. He's not as broad or strong as teams will want along the interior, but he could be given a shot at center for a move-oriented run team. His ability to be an emergency tackle could help his roster cause.
on McGovern..
Overview
Reliable run blocker with NFL-ready size and strength but exploitable holes in his pass sets that need to be addressed as quickly as possible. His starting experience at both center and guard could bring additional interest in McGovern, who would be a bigger, stronger option at center for teams facing odd-front power in their division. He is a good fit in gap and inside-zone run schemes, but his tendency to over-set in pass protection could be challenging to correct. He's an early starter as a Day 2 pick, but Year 1 could have ups and downs

Reactions: N&B4PSU
He looks great in the drills, too - might be the smoothest guy out there today. He might have worked himself into a second round pick.

Just changed the channel and caught Miles doing one of the drills, got a wow from one of the announcers!

Reactions: Texas Lion
He made himself some cash today. Those numbers had me somewhat surprised. The strength and conditioning program continues to put these guys in a great place heading towards the NFL.
Great for him. None of this surprises me. It’s pretty consistent with what we’ve known he’s capable of physically since high school.

His stock is what it is because of those known attributes AND his in-game performance, which includes ball control.

Just changed the channel and caught Miles doing one of the drills, got a wow from one of the announcers!

Probably the same guy that just said he was the standout of the day. good for Miles as he made himself some money today!

"Best Choice" of day one.... Miles Sanders

called him.... smooth and explosive

Reactions: Texas Lion
Miles Sanders doing well at the combine

4.45 40, 20 reps,36" vert, 10'4" broad jump.
On NFL.com they showed him vs. Saquon in a simulated 40. He got the jump on Saquon early through the first 10 yards, but Saquon caught him around 10 yards and was probably 2-3 steps ahead at then end.

Reactions: ralphster
Not sure if you can take too much from running in shorts for a single sprint to being in pads behind an OL, but it would appear Miles has a quicker initial burst with a little less top end speed. That might explain why Barkley has a lot of big plays but also gets caught for no gain. Some of that was due to trying to break a big one every play, but it probably also took him a step to get going. Somebody's going to get pretty good value with Sanders, I think.

Not sure if you can take too much from running in shorts for a single sprint to being in pads behind an OL, but it would appear Miles has a quicker initial burst with a little less top end speed. That might explain why Barkley has a lot of big plays but also gets caught for no gain. Some of that was due to trying to break a big one every play, but it probably also took him a step to get going. Somebody's going to get pretty good value with Sanders, I think.

Barkley stumbled a bit on both his starts last year.

He got caught for no gain because they gave him the ball standing still five yards behind the los with no blocking

I'm very happy for Miles. He didn't piss and moan about sitting behind Saquon, he just kept working hard while waiting for his shot. I hope he ends up with a team that lets him reach his full potential. Great representative of PSU, imo.

Ha...two back system using both Saquon and Miles?

Was that ever suggested around here?
Giants would never put them on the field at the same time. They limit Barkley's carries, hence two RB system. Besides, Giants aren't drafting another RB this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT