ADVERTISEMENT

2019 NFL combine thread

The NFL is worried about misguided kids leaving early without a degree and without a great shot of making it as a pro. Tony Carr comes to mind. Disingenuously pretending it’s universal advice that should apply to every situation is obviously ridiculous so let’s all stop responding to that argument.

Players leaving before they receive degrees can always return to get them, at their own expense or the schools'. Guessing that those who care about it have that base covered. For those that don't, it's a non-issue.

And I said insurance, which a disability policy is a sub set of.

And you also said that the school or NCAA would pay for it. That's hardly a given on a commodity disability policy.

Well, that says if you are not drafted in the top3 rounds it is better to go stay in school. It looks like Sanders will be in the top3 (I know things can change between now and the actual draft, but it lookd like he is a 2nd or 3rd round choice), so I guess he was right on that account. In the original post we were talking about Bates and Sanders. I have no idea where Bates will get drafted, but do you think he improves his draft statues by coming back and playing another year at OT? He will be drafted as an interior OL, and he has already graduated. His testing numbers were fine. I doubt they improve drastically next year, and he already has started for almost 3 yrs. My opinion, as I stated originally is he is a 3rd day draft pick this year or next year. So what is he coming back for? If he wanted one more year of college life, I would be all for it. If he wants one more year of earning potential, then he made the best choice he could.

Not sure why people second guess the decisions that these young men and their loved ones make regarding moving on the the NFL. It's laughable that "fans" try and use their own standards and decision methods to second guess the critical decisions made by young men and their families. Yep, that's part of message boards. But it is a very stupid look.....

But quoting the NFL CYA/Cover-It's-A$$ PR is about the stupidest argument in this thread. The NFL's "concern" is about PR and their relationship with college football, and maintaining the current college football feeder system. Nothing more. Just a pure business stance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
And you also said that the school or NCAA would pay for it. That's hardly a given on a commodity disability policy.
I said could pay for it ( or they can pay for it) which we know they can.
Could you imagine the blow back if say SB or even MS said they wanted to come back but PSU won’t pay the insurance policy?

Not sure why people second guess the decisions that these young men and their loved ones make regarding moving on the the NFL. It's laughable that "fans" try and second guess the critical decisions made by young men and their families.

But quoting the NFL YCA PR is about the stupidest argument in this thread. The NFL's "concern" is about PR and their relationship with college football, and maintaining the current college football feeder system. Nothing more. Just a pure business stance.
They are the ones who have chosen to become professional athletes. Being second guessed is just part of their life now

with that time, the question may be where does he play in the NFL? QB? WR? Kick returner?

Just talking about Trace on ABC during QB drills. Talked about how impressive he was during the interviews and how good a leader / teammate he is.

(Strange to see him in throwing drills dropping back from “under center”.)

Apparently he was asked to participate in defensive back drills yesterday, he declined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/02/trace-mcsorley-combine-defensive-back/

QUARTERBACK TRACE MCSORLEY REFUSES TO WORK OUT WITH DEFENSIVE BACKS AT NFL COMBINE

3:02 PM 03/02/2019 | SPORTS
David Hookstead | Reporter
Trace McSorley isn’t interested in changing positions.

The superstar college quarterback was asked to work out with the defensive backs at the combine Saturday and refused to do so, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. (RELATED: Read Penn State QB Trace McSorley‘s Emotional Goodbye Letter After Finishing His College Career)

Adam Schefter

Penn State QB Trace McSorley was asked at the NFL’s scouting combine to also work out with the defensive backs on Monday but he declined, saying he is concentrating on being a quarterback as he heads into next month’s draft, sources tell @Jeff_Legwold and me.

Why would NFL teams want McSorley to potentially become a defensive back? That young man was born to be a gunslinger.

He tore it up for Penn State during his days in college. The dual-threat quarterback has been one of the most exciting players in the game these past couple years.

McSorley is simply a dominating presence on the field.

Will the PSU legend be successful in the NFL? I have no idea. Nobody does until he actually gets a shot. That’s the way it works.

What I do know for sure is that he’s a quarterback, and he’s damn sure not a DB.

I hope like hell McSorley tears it up at the next level. He was a ton of fun to watch in college, and there’s a chance he does the same in the NFL.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and 81b&w
QUARTERBACK DWAYNE HASKINS RUNS 5.04 40 AT THE NFL COMBINE
1:56 PM 03/02/2019 | SPORTS
David Hookstead | Reporter
Dwayne Haskins didn’t run an impressive 40 at the combine Saturday.

Haskins, who lit it up this past season at Ohio State, ran his 40-yard dash in 5.04 seconds. For comparison, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold all ran much more impressive 40s during their time at the NFL combine.

T.J. Moe

✔@TJMoe28

https://twitter.com/TJMoe28/status/1101895166850420737

Dwayne Haskins, more of a runner than a passer (@stephenasmith), just ran a 5.04 in the 40. #NFLCombine

I’m sure Stephen A. Smith sure wishes he could take back his claim that former OSU star is more of a runner than passer. It turns out that Haskins can’t really run at all.

I don’t want to brag here, but I’m pretty confident in my athletic prime (about seven years ago), I could have smoked Haskins in a race. To be clear, I was never that fast, but him running a 40 in over five seconds isn’t a great look.

The good news for Haskins is that he doesn’t really need to rely on his feet too much. The man has a howitzer attached to his body in the form of his right arm.

His arm is the reason he’s almost certainly going to be drafted in the top 10. The team that takes him won’t do it so that he can run around all over the place. They want him spinning the rock like he did for the Buckeyes.

It’ll just be fun watching Haskins play in the NFL, even if he does have the speed of a turtle.

There has to be an insurable interest from the payer.There are not an employee of a school,can't be done.

Kevin Givens just ran 4.87 after running 5.09 in the first one
Tied w Q Williams of Alabama but he weighs 300+
Williams ran his second st 4.84

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
The NFL is worried about misguided kids leaving early without a degree and without a great shot of making it as a pro. Tony Carr comes to mind. Disingenuously pretending it’s universal advice that should apply to every situation is obviously ridiculous so let’s all stop responding to that argument.
Is Tony Carr playing anywhere on the world?

Reactions: PSUcup1
Except that sanders and bates have graduated, correct? The question I was asking was whether they would improve their draft stock at all by coming back. No way to possibly answer that, but each player must. My opinion is that they may not have been able to improve their stock much. Bates is not going to become a top OL pick by playing next year, and very few RBs go in the 1st round. I don’t think anyone wants to count on an insurance check and could Bates even get a policy? For selfish reasons I would love for them to come back, but for draft reasons I am not sure how much sense it makes. Again my opinion.

Bates was a senior this year, and should have his degree. does a 5th year as a grad student benefit him? if he would be a low pick of UDFA, then getting a year of grad school toward his future real life may be beneficial. as for NFL FB, not sure he would move much with another year at PSU. there is a difference for guys going out as Juniors (only 3 years at PSU).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT