ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 76ers Thread

Sixers with a big win.

Horford played really well. Confusing because he looked so much more comfortable in the 5 spot tonight but all offseason said one of the main reasons he left the C’s and was excited to play with the Sixers is he wouldn’t have to play the 5 spot.

Gonna be interesting to watch this team without Joel for the next couple of weeks.

Great 2nd half by the Sixers.

I think Hereford has had a tough time finding his role on this team, in large part due to JoJo. Embiid is pretty inconsistent in the half-court offense. Sometimes he sets up in the block, and somewhat expects to at least touch the ball during the set. Far too often, he holds the ball too long when he receives it, and the rest of the team, excluding whomever is opposite him out high, gets out of sync, and doesn't move too much. Other times down the court, JoJo sets up high, and if a defender doesn't play him, he launches a 3-point shot. When you add in Ben often playing down low after he gives up the ball, where is the PF supposed to go in the half-count set?

Perhaps while JoJo is out, they can work out some of the issues with their half-court offense.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Great 2nd half by the Sixers.

I think Hereford has had a tough time finding his role on this team, in large part due to JoJo. Embiid is pretty inconsistent in the half-court offense. Sometimes he sets up in the block, and somewhat expects to at least touch the ball during the set. Far too often, he holds the ball too long when he receives it, and the rest of the team, excluding whomever is opposite him out high, gets out of sync, and doesn't move too much. Other times down the court, JoJo sets up high, and if a defender doesn't play him, he launches a 3-point shot. When you add in Ben often playing down low after he gives up the ball, where is the PF supposed to go in the half-count set?

Perhaps while JoJo is out, they can work out some of the issues with their half-court offense.
The Celts looked rattled down the stretch, too many bad shots. Sixers pressed their D in last 5 minutes and really outplayed Boston.

Watched the entire game. Sixers moved the ball around much better without Embiid and unlike the last several years, the Celts dont match up well against the Sixers bench. In case of a tie, the Sixers have now won the head to head series versus the Celts for the season and have the tiebreaker playoff rankings advantage should it be necessary.

Sixers played well last night without Embiid. Finally had a big man playing inside more. Tough one tomorrow against Mavericks. It will be interesting to see how Horford does holding down the middle again. I just wish Embiid would play more inside the paint not the guard position.

Sixers played well last night without Embiid. Finally had a big man playing inside more. Tough one tomorrow against Mavericks. It will be interesting to see how Horford does holding down the middle again. I just wish Embiid would play more inside the paint not the guard position.

A strong coach would demand Embiid play inside or bench him. Same goes for Simmons not shooting from the outside. Brown told Simmons to shoot at least one three per game, and Simmons refuses to listen.

Reactions: psuno1
A strong coach would demand Embiid play inside or bench him. Same goes for Simmons not shooting from the outside. Brown told Simmons to shoot at least one three per game, and Simmons refuses to listen.
I agree and think Brown has basically lost the locker room as the guys aren't listening to him. NBA is a players league and ultimately its on them to do what is necessary to win, but they should listen to the coach and when its publically out their now and everyone knows Brown has asked Ben to shoot and he is not....its not a good look. Not sure i their is a better coach available, but think its time to consider a change.

I agree and think Brown has basically lost the locker room as the guys aren't listening to him. NBA is a players league and ultimately its on them to do what is necessary to win, but they should listen to the coach and when its publically out their now and everyone knows Brown has asked Ben to shoot and he is not....its not a good look. Not sure i their is a better coach available, but think its time to consider a change.

I dont know what the solution is. Do the Sixers need to make a trade or move on from Brown after the season? Its clear something isnt working.

Isn’t that on the coach to rectify (IE: Embiid)?

Good game for the Sixers. Simmons great driving to the rim and getting assists but terrible outside and foul shooting

Shoutout to Nova's Mikal Bridges tonight. In the Suns win at Boston, Mikal was 10-13 from the field and 6-8 on 3 pointers. Kind of wish the Sixers kept him.

God this team is clunky. Even when they win it just doesn’t feel good.

Even without Embiid a game against the horrible Knicks shouldn’t be that close with the “talent” this team has.

These next 2 road games should be interesting given how bad they are on the road.

Even without Embiid a game against the horrible Knicks shouldn’t be that close with the “talent” this team has.

These next 2 road games should be interesting given how bad they are on the road.
Something has to give with the way this team is playing. My hunch is that Brett Brown goes. Coaching is often to blame when young teams play consistently below their ability levels away from home.

Reactions: jmorovich

strange game. The Sixers had the lead during most of it, but it never seemed as though they were in control. Then they missed a number of shots towards the end of the 4th quarter, and it really could have gone either way. Harris hitting the 3 off of the inbound play was huge. If Farkan had hit both of his FTs, they would have had a comfortable cushion at the very end, instead of hoping they didn't get tied at the buzzer on Smart's long shot, which was very, very close to the mark.

Reactions: jmorovich
Shoutout to Nova's Mikal Bridges tonight. In the Suns win at Boston, Mikal was 10-13 from the field and 6-8 on 3 pointers. Kind of wish the Sixers kept him.
That draft and not keeping Fultz around aittle longer blew the process.

That draft and not keeping Fultz around aittle longer blew the process.

Trading Bridges hurt for a couple of reasons. He was a known quantity to Philadelphia-area Sixers fans, due to his playing at 'Nova. Plus, he was a polished player, who as traded for Zhaire Smith (a good athlete, but somebody that was going to have to learn a new position to play in the NBA). Bridges was hurt his rookie season, but seems to be doing well in his 2nd season. Smith, by comparison, is in the G-League, and still working on his game. Barring injuries, he's not expected to be ready for the NBA until next season. The Sixers also got a Miami Heat 1st round draft choice in that trade, (it's somewhat protected), so it remains to be seen whether this trade was a plus, neutral, or a bad one. In terms of the process, the trade didn't really move the bar all that much.

By comparison, what happened with Fultz did mess up the process, but not in the way you indicated (IMHO). The trade with Boston, to move up from #3 to #1 in the 2017 draft, and thus get Fultz, is what really destroyed the process. I was not in favor of the trade, which can be verified by a search of earlier threads on this board. The Sixers traded the 2017 #3 pick, plus the Lakers' 2018 1st round pick (unless it was the #1 pick, or below the #5 pick) or the Kings' 2019 1st round pick. The Sixers took Fultz in the 2017 draft. Because the Lakers pick was outside the protected zone, the Sixers got to use it in the 2018 draft, and that's where they took Miles Bridges. (They then traded him for Zhaire Smith, as detailed above, plus took Landry Shamet with their own pick at #26.) So far, they've gotten nothing out of the 2017 draft and the 2018 draft. By comparison, the Celtics took Jason Tatum in the 2017 draft with the draft pick the Sixers traded for Fultz, and then Romeo Langford with the Kings' pick that was part of the Fultz trade. Langford is, I believe, in the G League. If the Sixers had just stayed put in 2017, and added Tatum instead of Fultz, the process would appear to be even more successful. In addition, doing so may have caused them not to make the Bridges trade, though that's pure conjecture on my part.

Trading Bridges hurt for a couple of reasons. He was a known quantity to Philadelphia-area Sixers fans, due to his playing at 'Nova. Plus, he was a polished player, who as traded for Zhaire Smith (a good athlete, but somebody that was going to have to learn a new position to play in the NBA). Bridges was hurt his rookie season, but seems to be doing well in his 2nd season. Smith, by comparison, is in the G-League, and still working on his game. Barring injuries, he's not expected to be ready for the NBA until next season. The Sixers also got a Miami Heat 1st round draft choice in that trade, (it's somewhat protected), so it remains to be seen whether this trade was a plus, neutral, or a bad one. In terms of the process, the trade didn't really move the bar all that much.

By comparison, what happened with Fultz did mess up the process, but not in the way you indicated (IMHO). The trade with Boston, to move up from #3 to #1 in the 2017 draft, and thus get Fultz, is what really destroyed the process. I was not in favor of the trade, which can be verified by a search of earlier threads on this board. The Sixers traded the 2017 #3 pick, plus the Lakers' 2018 1st round pick (unless it was the #1 pick, or below the #5 pick) or the Kings' 2019 1st round pick. The Sixers took Fultz in the 2017 draft. Because the Lakers pick was outside the protected zone, the Sixers got to use it in the 2018 draft, and that's where they took Miles Bridges. (They then traded him for Zhaire Smith, as detailed above, plus Landry Shamet with their own pick at #26.) So far, they've gotten nothing out of the 2017 draft and the 2018 draft. By comparison, the Celtics took Jason Tatum in the 2017 draft with the draft pick the Sixers traded for Fultz, and then Romeo Langford with the Kings' pick that was part of the Fultz trade. Langford is, I believe, in the G League. If the Sixers had just stayed put in 2017, and added Tatum instead of Fultz, the process would appear to be even more successful. In addition, doing so may have caused them not to make the Bridges trade, though that's pure conjecture on my part.

Great write up and summary on the whole situation.

Just to add/clarify, the Miami Heat 1st round pick the Sixers received in the Bridges/Smith trade got shipped to the Clippers in the Tobias Harris trade.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Just to add/clarify, the Miami Heat 1st round pick the Sixers received in the Bridges/Smith trade got shipped to the Clippers in the Tobias Harris trade.

thanks. I couldn't remember if that pick was part of the trade. If I recall correctly, the Sixers traded Landry Shamet, Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, and the Heat 2021 draft pick (which was somewhat protected) for Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic, and Mike Scott. So another way of looking at the Bridges trade is:

Sixers traded Bridges for Zhaire Smith and a Miami Heat 1st round draft pick. They then packaged Landry Shamet, Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, and the Heat draft pick for Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic, and Mike Scott. In essence it became Bridges for Smith, Harris, and Scott, which at least in the short term is a positive for the Sixers.

Reactions: tchains23

By comparison, what happened with Fultz did mess up the process, but not in the way you indicated (IMHO). The trade with Boston, to move up from #3 to #1 in the 2017 draft, and thus get Fultz, is what really destroyed the process. I was not in favor of the trade, which can be verified by a search of earlier threads on this board. The Sixers traded the 2017 #3 pick, plus the Lakers' 2018 1st round pick (unless it was the #1 pick, or below the #5 pick) or the Kings' 2019 1st round pick. The Sixers took Fultz in the 2017 draft. Because the Lakers pick was outside the protected zone, the Sixers got to use it in the 2018 draft, and that's where they took Miles Bridges. (They then traded him for Zhaire Smith, as detailed above, plus took Landry Shamet with their own pick at #26.) So far, they've gotten nothing out of the 2017 draft and the 2018 draft. By comparison, the Celtics took Jason Tatum in the 2017 draft with the draft pick the Sixers traded for Fultz, and then Romeo Langford with the Kings' pick that was part of the Fultz trade. Langford is, I believe, in the G League. If the Sixers had just stayed put in 2017, and added Tatum instead of Fultz, the process would appear to be even more successful. In addition, doing so may have caused them not to make the Bridges trade, though that's pure conjecture on my part.
The Sixers would not have had Tatum. They still would have likely ended up with Fultz. Ainge was going to Take Tatum first. Was such a stupid trade

I think the main point I was trying to make is kind of what you are saying. Out of those drafts, but especially the Fultz draft where they used two high picks- they have absolutely nothing to show for it. Zippo. Zilch. Even a couple good solid role players would be better than this. And they then made it worse by trading him away for nothing, just to save his cap space- I guess that was OK if you'd get Butler, but they didn't. Fultz is improving now too.

But I wouldn't have made that first trade either, and would have been fine with Fultz or Tatum (Ball was a farce). If they had played it right and stayed put, they'd probably be in better shape. As constructed, this team isn't winning it all, and we can expect them to be something like Portland or Utah the next few years. Pretty good- but not good enough. Their only hope is that Simmons really bumps it up a couple notches (develops a shot maybe), Embiid stays healthy, and a couple of these young guys like Smith, Thybulle, and even Korkmanz, take some real steps.

If it doesn't work, I think they will shock people and move on from Embiid before he gets hurt. He could bring in a haul to the right team.

Simmons with 34 points today vs The Nets in what may have been his best game as a 76er. With 12 rebounds and 12 assists and I think only 2 turnovers he lead the team with a triple double. He put in a great defensive effort as well and even made his FTs today. The Sixers came back from being down by 10 in the second half and won 116-111 in Brooklyn. Oh, and he had 5 steals too. Hereford and Korkmaz also made nice contributions and Tybulle is coming on, especially defensively.

Last edited:
Tobias definitely seems to be the glue for this team off the court. Everything that is done off the court seems to be facilitated by Tobi....

Doesn’t seem to be any chemistry issues here.

This team is a train wreck on the road.
I can’t recall any team that was considered a championship level team that was this far below .500.

How can they be so dominate at home and so bad on the road?? Something isn’t right.

If Philly could get a nice haul for Embiid I'd agree and let him go. I like Ben and his play. Embiid seems to be a disruption when playing. Playing outside, trying to dribble and taking 3s it's not working for the Sixers with his play style. Last night looked like a bad train wreck against Boston.

If Philly could get a nice haul for Embiid I'd agree and let him go. I like Ben and his play. Embiid seems to be a disruption when playing. Playing outside, trying to dribble and taking 3s it's not working for the Sixers with his play style. Last night looked like a bad train wreck against Boston.

I agree- I'd pull the trigger before he breaks another bone. They should be able to get a haul for him. This team isn't fitting together at all. No Championship team plays this lousy on the road. As good as they are at home, its hard to even put a finger on what the problem is. They are going to be a 6 seed, so its not looking good to even get out of the first round. I think they'd be better if they went back to playing how they did when he was out, and Embiid was basically a defensive role player.

Step 1 will probably be the coach, and step two a big trade.

I agree- I'd pull the trigger before he breaks another bone. They should be able to get a haul for him. This team isn't fitting together at all. No Championship team plays this lousy on the road. As good as they are at home, its hard to even put a finger on what the problem is. They are going to be a 6 seed, so its not looking good to even get out of the first round. I think they'd be better if they went back to playing how they did when he was out, and Embiid was basically a defensive role player.

Step 1 will probably be the coach, and step two a big trade.

Two years ago I would have said trading Embiid is crazy, but now I think its prudent. As stated numerous times, Embiid and Simmons arent meshing and its just a matter of time before Embiid gets injured again. He's never in shape and loves to drift to the "outside".

Brown needs to go. He is a good man, but has lost the team. The question is when and who replaces him. Unless a home run candidate emerges, thats probably a move best suited for the offseason. Whoever comes in, they need to get this team on the same page.

I would much rather see them change the coach with the idea of bringing someone in who could help these two fit. I think Brett has run his course in Philly. If you can bring someone in with the idea they can setup an offense that will maximize these two talented players and get complimentary pieces around them, I think this team would be considerably better.

The Horford signing is turning out to be a massive swing and a miss. If they could unload him and a couple pieces for some perimeter/ball handlers that would be a start.

I would hate to trade a top 10 player for what would surely not be even returns.

Last edited:
I would much rather see them change the coach with the idea of bringing someone in who could help these two fit. I think Brett has run his course in Philly. If you can bring someone in with the idea they can setup an offense that will maximize these two talented players and get complimentary pieces around them, I think this team would be considerably better.

The Horford signing is turning out to be a massive swing and a miss. If they could unload him and a couple pieces for some perimeter/ball handlers that would be a start.

I would hate to trade a top 10 player for what would surely not be even returns.

whose taking Horford and that contract? Never going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT