ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Video interview I was able to view. If it gets put to premium, they ask Enis about Penn State visit....said he liked seeing his Dad's pictures up, stadium gave him chills, but he stressed that his recruiting is wide open. Mentions USC, U of A, Duke, Cal. Says he isn't close to decision, will take his time.

Elite 11 Roster set.....travesty that the Pitt 2 star QB wasn't included.

2ly24c4.jpg

http://www.scout.com/college/footba...2974-the-elite-11-finals-2017-official-roster

Now that all of the Fields stuff has been going on for a while and I've been able to digest it, it really does make sense for him to figure out any alternatives. I mean, it's unlikely, but JF could keel over dead, or Fields' family could develop an issue that makes him more comfortable being close to home, or whatever. He has to have all of his bases covered just in case anything unplanned occurs. He would be stupid not to do this, and he seems to be handling it all OK for a kid who has blown up into a 5-star talent. We are probably lucky we got in early.

At any rate, we need to keep winning, JoMo needs to keep his mojo (like that?), and hopefully the main competitors all look like shit in the fall.

MR MOJO RISIN.....
Jim-Morrison-for-white--300x300.png

We don't care where Parsons goes or what he does it is time to drop this from the board. He can run a 8 second 100 for all I care. We have better recruits coming and these are "team players". That guy will be a cancer to whoever wants him

Reactions: Agoodnap and ftlpsu
While this does sound harsh, I do feel that generally players - no matter how talented - who make a huge circus of their recruitment don't end up doing all that well at the next level. Kevin Jones is an exception
We don't care where Parsons goes or what he does it is time to drop this from the board. He can run a 8 second 100 for all I care. We have better recruits coming and these are "team players". That guy will be a cancer to whoever wants him

Now that all of the Fields stuff has been going on for a while and I've been able to digest it, it really does make sense for him to figure out any alternatives. I mean, it's unlikely, but JF could keel over dead, or Fields' family could develop an issue that makes him more comfortable being close to home, or whatever. He has to have all of his bases covered just in case anything unplanned occurs. He would be stupid not to do this, and he seems to be handling it all OK for a kid who has blown up into a 5-star talent. We are probably lucky we got in early.

At any rate, we need to keep winning, JoMo needs to keep his mojo (like that?), and hopefully the main competitors all look like shit in the fall.

So you are ready to end your pessimistic posts concerning Fields?

I didn't get a fuzzy vibe from that Fields article. I get the feeling his father is not in our corner either. The kid seems to be fighting it out of guilt but I'd be surprised if he signs with PSU.

Pessimist. You probably thought PSU was going to lose to Wisconsin when they were down 28 to 7.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Speak for yourself. There are a number of folks (myself included) who still very much hope he's part of this class.

Penn State will host one of its top offensive line targets this Saturday, May 27, in Waldorf, Md., four-star Rasheed Walker.

Over the past few months, it's become clear that the Nittany Lions are a serious player with the 6-foot-6, 300 pound offensive tackle. Now, he'll return to State College in just a few days for what will be his fourth unofficial visit with the Nittany Lion coaching staff.

"I just want to get back down there," said Walker, who last visited Penn State in January. "My mom hasn't seen campus yet. They want to show her everything that me and my dad saw (before)."

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/four-star-ol-rasheed-walker-sets-psu-visit-date

Exactly. No one player makes a team...but one player can destroy a team.

As I've said before, it wouldn't be terribly unreasonable if Dad wanted him a bit closer to home. Traveling to games in the Big Ten is going to be a pain for the parents.
Cheaper to watch in HDTV at home anyway.
Fields is a 3 year starter.
Can't wait!

As a local kid, saw him play quite a bit.

Wide-body, brawler type of offensive lineman. Does of good job - IMO - of staying low and playing down in the mud.
I would expect they would move him inside, and that he would be a quality PWO type guy.

Just read that he's the son of a PSU Assistant AD, so he's getting a free ride anyways. Correct?

Nice to see The Collegian is getting in on the 'Justin Fields won't come to PSU' nonsense....SMH:

COLUMN: Don’t be surprised if Penn State football 5-star commit Justin Fields is poached away by another major program

Penn State football head coach James Franklin talks with defensive coordinator Brent Pry during National Signing Day in the 'war room' at the Lasch Football Building on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017.

Penn State may lose another five-star commit.

Quarterback commit Justin Fields, the top-ranked dual threat quarterback in the Class of 2018, has been garnering serious interest from SEC schools.

The Nittany Lions have already lost one five-star verbal commitment in next year’s class — defensive end Micah Parsons from Harrisburg — and while he still may chose the Nittany Lions, nothing is for certain.

Fields has said time-and-time again that he is a solid Penn State commit, and he recently told Rivals he doesn’t have visits planned elsewhere, which is especially encouraging for the Nittany Lions.

But there are several signs that indicate Fields could be poached away by another major program before National Signing Day.

For one, Penn State is very crowded at the quarterback position.

Trace McSorley will likely be the starter for the next two seasons, and unless Tommy Stevens transfers, which is becoming increasingly unlikely as his remaining eligibility wains, he will have a leg up to start the season after that.

That means it could be until the 2020 season before Penn State has a legitimate open and even race to be the starting quarterback. Even once that comes, highly touted recruits Jake Zembiec and Sean Clifford, who signed in 2016 and 2017 respectively, will be in the mix and have more time on campus than Fields.

That doesn’t mean he couldn’t go out and win the job in 2020 or sooner. He’d just have to beat out players that were high school stars in their own right and will have had more time in college to develop their games.

Whether someone of Fields’ caliber is willing to wait nearly three years to have a clean run at being the starting quarterback is up in the air.

He also hails from the heart of SEC country — Kennesaw, Georgia. While he has been keeping his options open, something every touted recruit should do, how seriously he is considering those other options is difficult to tell.

Fields is the centerpiece of a loaded Penn State class that has 13 verbal commitments and is ranked third in the country by 247Sports. It seems like the perfect fit for a recruit like Fields to come in and have a deep roster to play with and quickly turn into a star.

When you look at some of the programs in the SEC that have been courting Fields — it seems like Florida is in the lead to land him if he were to decommit — their quarterback rooms are empty in comparison.

While there is hope in Gainesville that redshirt freshman Felipe Franks, who has the lead in the quarterback race to start in 2017, will be the Gators’ next great, he may just join a long list of underachieving signal callers.

The quarterback position has been a weak spot for Florida since Tim Tebow’s collegiate career came to an end in 2009. The list goes on and on over nearly the past decade –– John Brantley, Jeff Driskel, Treon Harris, who was particularly awful, just to name a few.

For Fields, a quarterback situation in which he may only have one or two players ahead of him will look a lot more enticing than Penn State’s crowded situation — it is unlikely the history of other quarterbacks underachieving in the Swamp will mean anything to him.

Fields, of course, may be the star that can jump over everyone and leave the others with a younger player ahead of them and be left looking to transfer since they will probably never see the field regularly. But with high school stars like Clifford in the mix that isn’t going to be easy.

He has likely realized the fact that there are a lot less competitive quarterback situations at major programs closer to home that he can find a place in.

Another factor in all of this is, who will Penn State’s offensive coordinator be in 2018? If the Nittany Lions have another explosive season offensively Joe Moorhead will likely attract head coaching interest from Power Five programs and could be moving on. Who his replacement is, what offensive concepts they run and how it suits Fields’ skill-set could be a potential major twist late in the going for not just Fields, but every offensive recruit as signing day nears.

All of those things are unknown at this time, as are his relationships with the staffs at each of these programs. The only thing that is really concrete is that Penn State will have a difficult situation for Fields to find playing time in early in his career if he does enroll at University Park.

How much that truly matters to Fields and what is the biggest factor(s) that will ultimately determine where he signs is impossible to know for sure if you aren’t in his inner circle of friends and family.

Penn State has a very good problem to have from a whole program point of view, but a potentially big one in the recruitment of a single player. It didn’t deter Clifford from signing in 2017, it may or may not deter Fields in 2018 — but only time will tell.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Nice to see The Collegian is getting in on the 'Justin Fields won't come to PSU' nonsense....SMH:

COLUMN: Don’t be surprised if Penn State football 5-star commit Justin Fields is poached away by another major program

Penn State football head coach James Franklin talks with defensive coordinator Brent Pry during National Signing Day in the 'war room' at the Lasch Football Building on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017.

Quarterback commit Justin Fields, the top-ranked dual threat quarterback in the Class of 2018, has been garnering serious interest from SEC schools.

The Nittany Lions have already lost one five-star verbal commitment in next year’s class — defensive end Micah Parsons from Harrisburg — and while he still may chose the Nittany Lions, nothing is for certain.

Fields has said time-and-time again that he is a solid Penn State commit, and he recently told Rivals he doesn’t have visits planned elsewhere, which is especially encouraging for the Nittany Lions.

But there are several signs that indicate Fields could be poached away by another major program before National Signing Day.

Trace McSorley will likely be the starter for the next two seasons, and unless Tommy Stevens transfers, which is becoming increasingly unlikely as his remaining eligibility wains, he will have a leg up to start the season after that.

That means it could be until the 2020 season before Penn State has a legitimate open and even race to be the starting quarterback. Even once that comes, highly touted recruits Jake Zembiec and Sean Clifford, who signed in 2016 and 2017 respectively, will be in the mix and have more time on campus than Fields.

That doesn’t mean he couldn’t go out and win the job in 2020 or sooner. He’d just have to beat out players that were high school stars in their own right and will have had more time in college to develop their games.

Whether someone of Fields’ caliber is willing to wait nearly three years to have a clean run at being the starting quarterback is up in the air.

He also hails from the heart of SEC country — Kennesaw, Georgia. While he has been keeping his options open, something every touted recruit should do, how seriously he is considering those other options is difficult to tell.

Fields is the centerpiece of a loaded Penn State class that has 13 verbal commitments and is ranked third in the country by 247Sports. It seems like the perfect fit for a recruit like Fields to come in and have a deep roster to play with and quickly turn into a star.

When you look at some of the programs in the SEC that have been courting Fields — it seems like Florida is in the lead to land him if he were to decommit — their quarterback rooms are empty in comparison.

While there is hope in Gainesville that redshirt freshman Felipe Franks, who has the lead in the quarterback race to start in 2017, will be the Gators’ next great, he may just join a long list of underachieving signal callers.

The quarterback position has been a weak spot for Florida since Tim Tebow’s collegiate career came to an end in 2009. The list goes on and on over nearly the past decade –– John Brantley, Jeff Driskel, Treon Harris, who was particularly awful, just to name a few.

For Fields, a quarterback situation in which he may only have one or two players ahead of him will look a lot more enticing than Penn State’s crowded situation — it is unlikely the history of other quarterbacks underachieving in the Swamp will mean anything to him.

Fields, of course, may be the star that can jump over everyone and leave the others with a younger player ahead of them and be left looking to transfer since they will probably never see the field regularly. But with high school stars like Clifford in the mix that isn’t going to be easy.

He has likely realized the fact that there are a lot less competitive quarterback situations at major programs closer to home that he can find a place in.

Another factor in all of this is, who will Penn State’s offensive coordinator be in 2018? If the Nittany Lions have another explosive season offensively Joe Moorhead will likely attract head coaching interest from Power Five programs and could be moving on. Who his replacement is, what offensive concepts they run and how it suits Fields’ skill-set could be a potential major twist late in the going for not just Fields, but every offensive recruit as signing day nears.

All of those things are unknown at this time, as are his relationships with the staffs at each of these programs. The only thing that is really concrete is that Penn State will have a difficult situation for Fields to find playing time in early in his career if he does enroll at University Park.

How much that truly matters to Fields and what is the biggest factor(s) that will ultimately determine where he signs is impossible to know for sure if you aren’t in his inner circle of friends and family.

Penn State has a very good problem to have from a whole program point of view, but a potentially big one in the recruitment of a single player. It didn’t deter Clifford from signing in 2017, it may or may not deter Fields in 2018 — but only time will tell.

Slow news day, I guess.

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
I must say, I'm not impressed with the Collegian these days, that is for sure. This is stupid. Maybe this kid is the son or nephew of Davy Jones.

They shouldn't be in the recruiting or speculation business. If I were CJF, I'd tell them to knock this crap off. Their coverage should be limited to Penn State students after they sign their LOI.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Dunno. Franklin's not allowed to talk about commits, is he? Is the official school paper allowed to do so?

Our paper selling negativity, versus 3 random articles written by the School Paper at University of Florida.
1) Hot Florida Co Eds love Florida QB's.
2) Classes not very difficult for Football Players
3) Florida has everything but a qb to win National Championship for the next 5 years

Didn't know Cosmos wrote for the Collegian.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT