ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Reading between the lines, maybe distance is an issue. A little disappointed that PSU didn't stand out vs all his other visits.

Reactions: bmw199
I'm tired of hearing and thinking about Parsons.

Jim-Parsons.jpg

Reactions: bytir
We're not that much further than ND from where Lamb is. Either way, he's got to fly home. Practically speaking, there is no difference. Now if he decides to stay on the west coast, that is a different matter.

Fields article is concerning. Problem may be that he got too good. Hope he realizes who was there first. Florida is a problem due to PT. Moorhead is key to his staying committed I would bet. Others hate that opinion but I don't see how one could not think that. In fact it would not surprise if he's looking for a back up school in case that does happen.

Any other QBs on our radar or would we just basically fold the tent for 2018 or get a late replacement like Tommy Stevens type we could develop?

Cant even get too excited about recruits anymore, earlier they commit its almost worse.

Fields article is concerning. Problem may be that he got too good. Hope he realizes who was there first. Florida is a problem due to PT. Moorhead is key to his staying committed I would bet. Others hate that opinion but I don't see how one could not think that. In fact it would not surprise if he's looking for a back up school in case that does happen.

Any other QBs on our radar or would we just basically fold the tent for 2018 or get a late replacement like Tommy Stevens type we could develop?

Cant even get too excited about recruits anymore, earlier they commit its almost worse.
The job at Penn State will be wide open for Fields assuming he redshirts his freshman year. The competition in 2018 between Stevens, Zembiec, Clifford and Fields might be the most competitive in program history - and I wouldn't be surprised if Fields won it.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Impressive profile for a guy his size. Comparable or better than "he whose name is rarely spoken here"?

Well, actually, just came across this fairly amazing snippet from the past weekend:
http://fanbuzz.com/story/five-star-...opponents-to-shame-with-crazy-100-meter-dash/

Football is a game that really tests the boundaries between speed and size. Five-star defensive end Micah Parsons, however, happens to have both in plentiful quantities.

Parsons, a former Penn State commit, participated in Saturday’s Mid-Penn Track and Field Championships, specifically in the 100-meter dash. Despite weighing in at 240-pounds, Parsons showed amazing sustained speed, running a 11.19 in the dash and winning his preliminary heat.

Parsons would go on to finish sixth in the finals with a 11.34 run, but the fact that he is even winning races in a 100-meter dash at that size is phenomenal. It makes Parsons an extremely exciting recruit, as few defensive linemen that size has the ability to burst and sustain speed like that for that long.

I remember Michael Owens, who went on to wear number iconic number 44 as a FB at Syracuse, winning Mid Penn sprint titles as a man among boys. He wasn't quite as big as Parsons, but he was actually winning titles back when 210 lbs was big for a HS running back.

Steven she will be tough to beat out as a fifth year senior but crazier things have happened. Ideally Justin or Clifford would be ready to take over in 2020 and they won't be forced into action prior to that, but if either beats out Stevens then that's a great problem to have.

Maybe you missed this DIRECT QUOTE from Fields:

Their presence isn’t a surprise considering his importance to this class. Earlier this spring, Fields told our colleague Chris Kirschner of SEC Country his Penn State pledge is sturdy.

“I don’t see anything changing, to be honest with you,” he said in late March. “In reality, you never know what can happen. Coach (James) Franklin could leave. Coach (Joe) Moorhead [Penn State offensive coordinator] could leave. I don’t think that’s going to happen. I’ve talked to them both about that.”

Maybe you missed this DIRECT QUOTE from Fields:

Their presence isn’t a surprise considering his importance to this class. Earlier this spring, Fields told our colleague Chris Kirschner of SEC Country his Penn State pledge is sturdy.

“I don’t see anything changing, to be honest with you,” he said in late March. “In reality, you never know what can happen. Coach (James) Franklin could leave. Coach (Joe) Moorhead [Penn State offensive coordinator] could leave. I don’t think that’s going to happen. I’ve talked to them both about that.”

C'mon GLOV, no one takes NittanyOpp seriously. He's a clown.

Now that all of the Fields stuff has been going on for a while and I've been able to digest it, it really does make sense for him to figure out any alternatives. I mean, it's unlikely, but JF could keel over dead, or Fields' family could develop an issue that makes him more comfortable being close to home, or whatever. He has to have all of his bases covered just in case anything unplanned occurs. He would be stupid not to do this, and he seems to be handling it all OK for a kid who has blown up into a 5-star talent. We are probably lucky we got in early.

At any rate, we need to keep winning, JoMo needs to keep his mojo (like that?), and hopefully the main competitors all look like shit in the fall.

And you have to take these articles from SEC reporters with a grain of salt. SEC reporters are going to ask questions that are pro-SEC, like visits, what it will take to flip, etc. Fields is in the heart of SEC country and he's going to be respectful to SEC reporters when he talks about other schools.

But the main take away is that he has not wavered on his commitment to Penn State one bit. It will take something "crazy" to flip. SEC reporters are going to interpret "crazy" as something that is pro SEC.

Last edited:
And you have to take these articles from SEC reporters with a grain of salt. SEC reporters are asking going to ask questions that are pro-SEC, like visits, what it will take to flip, etc Fields is in the heart of SEC country and he's going to be respectful to SEC reporters when he talks about other schools.

But the main take away is that he has not wavered on his commitment to Penn State one bit. It will take something "crazy" to flip. SEC reporters are going to interpret "crazy" as something that is pro SEC.

Exactly right. Some of these interviews are conducted like a staffer from one of these southern schools are asking the questions.

Reactions: bjf1991
Reminder, Oweh had better athletic testing scores than Parsons.

See some Ohio State fans giddy about "sticking it to PSU" with Parsons going there (allegedly).

Reminder, Oweh had better athletic testing scores than Parsons.

See some Ohio State fans giddy about "sticking it to PSU" with Parsons going there (allegedly).

You can never know unless you can get inside their heads.......

But, I would wager dollars to donuts that the CJF staff has largely "moved on" vav Parsons.

That won't mean they won't "stay in touch"..... just like they would with 100 other kids..... but I expect they would be more than happy to land a group from among the "other guys" - - - Oweh, Smith, Friday, Hardy, Anoma (sp), Henry, Mustipher, etc....... and leave Parsons for someone else.

I didn't get a fuzzy vibe from that Fields article. I get the feeling his father is not in our corner either. The kid seems to be fighting it out of guilt but I'd be surprised if he signs with PSU.

As I've said before, it wouldn't be terribly unreasonable if Dad wanted him a bit closer to home. Traveling to games in the Big Ten is going to be a pain for the parents.

You can never know unless you can get inside their heads.......

But, I would wager dollars to donuts that the CJF staff has largely "moved on" vav Parsons.

That won't mean they won't "stay in touch"..... just like they would with 100 other kids..... but I expect they would be more than happy to land a group from among the "other guys" - - - Oweh, Smith, Friday, Hardy, Anoma (sp), Henry, Mustipher, etc....... and leave Parsons for someone else.
I would take this Group in trade w/o question....often the super star performer doesn't have the same work ethic whilst usually never develops it..I think the aforementioned type of guys want to prove they are the best at their respective positions.

True, but the difference between our offense and anyone else's could be vast. If Moorehead leaves that would obv hurt our chances, but otherwise there's no way he wouldn't favor us IMO. Combination of insane talent (look at his weapons & OL in his class) and people who know how to use them is going to make everyone else look bad.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I didn't get a fuzzy vibe from that Fields article. I get the feeling his father is not in our corner either. The kid seems to be fighting it out of guilt but I'd be surprised if he signs with PSU.

Well, he doesn't have any visits planned anywhere else as of now.

Seems like SAB is backing off of his announced decision date of June 25th. Talking about visits all over the country, official visit to Oregon, etc.

Reactions: bmw199

Parsons told Land of 10 he is unlikely to reach a decision until this winter. He wants to use all five official visits, including two during the season, and identified Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Nebraska and Ohio State as other schools of interest.

Now a month removed from his decommitment, and the backlash that inevitably follows such declarations, Parsons is putting together a new game plan. His friend helped him move beyond much of the drama he experienced this past month.

“I told him not to pay attention to the stuff on Twitter because with every school, no matter where it is, you’re going to have great fans and you’re going to have bad fans,” Anderson-Butts said. “You can’t let that affect you.”

Anderson-Butts will return to State College this summer, attending the “Lion Strong” seven-on-seven camp June 17. It remains to be seen whether Parsons plans to compete at Penn State’s Big Man Challenge that same day.

“It’s kind of getting back to normal now for Micah,” Anderson-Butts said. “He still talks to Penn State, so it’s not like he just decommitted and didn’t want to deal with those coaches anymore. Everybody is understanding, and everybody is cool with it.”

He explained the Nittany Lions are one of several teams that suggest the duo jump into the same recruiting class.

“A lot of schools say, ‘Why don’t you just both come here and win together?’ We definitely hear that,” Anderson-Butts said.

Last edited:
But, but...Parsons is already a package deal with his buddy Riot. I understand that if you scream out Riot's name in crowded cafeteria it is possible to actually start a riot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT