ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

You are sort of stating the obvious, but if UF cant get Fields, and they see it, they would most certainly take Ruder. He has suddenly become a hot commodity.

Yeah, I thought about that. I guess we are all looking for glimmers of sunshine. I've been telling myself that this situation is going to go on for a long time and just relax about it, but sometimes it is harder to turn the other cheek.

Reactions: LionJim
Yeah, I thought about that. I guess we are all looking for glimmers of sunshine. I've been telling myself that this situation is going to go on for a long time and just relax about it, but sometimes it is harder to turn the other cheek.
I look at it this way: Would you rather have players that other top schools are NOT trying to land?

The fact that PSU has so many guys being recruited hard by other top programs says a lot of good things about the job Franklin and co. have done/are doing.

Although I agree it can be frustrating to have to wait a year to see if how things finally wind up...

Reactions: LionJim

The respective season's UF and PSU have will probably have a substantial impact as well, so its just difficult to get too high or low at this point about Fields. Does PSU make the playoffs? What affect does that have on JoeMo? Will Florida actually compete in the SEC(They went to the SEC championship last year, so that is good I suppose, but they were totally outclassed by Alabama). What if Florida pulls a Notre Dame and goes .500 or something, will their coach be on the hot seat?

Reactions: brupsu
I look at it this way: Would you rather have players that other top schools are NOT trying to land?

The fact that PSU has so many guys being recruited hard by other top programs says a lot of good things about the job Franklin and co. have done/are doing.

Although I agree it can be frustrating to have to wait a year to see if how things finally wind up...
Bravo. Yes, you're only stating the obvious but it's still something we all need to hear.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

As we stand at this moment right now, I feel pretty good about Fields. He has no visits scheduled and he is out there recruiting hard for Penn State. He's close with the rest of the PSU 2018 verbals and they have their group text going on. We have some great OL in the class, we have a 5 star running back, two 4 star tight ends, what could end up being the best WR in the 2018 class in Shorter, and Fields is trying to get SAB and Dotson to join him. He has the perfect offense here, and his parents love the Penn State academics.

Now, all of that good feeling could go away if/when he suddenly announced he was going to visit UF, Alabama, etc. And maybe he does. But as of today, I like where we sit with him.

Haven't seen this name before, but he is a DT out of St. Louis and Penn State is in his top 15.

Penn State isn't the only school that has to fight to keep their verbals...

Ohio State:

What’s the deal with Ohio State’s current commits? Let’s run them down.

• Emory Jones | 5-star | Quarterback | Franklin (Ga.) Heard County
    • Should you worry? Yes, maybe a little. It’s hard to tell the entire SEC no. Florida, Florida State, Alabama, Auburn and Georgia are all actively trying to sway Jones from Ohio State, and he says he’ll take a look at a few schools this summer. Jones committed to the Buckeyes last July and has been a major part of their recruiting efforts.
  • Brenton Cox | 4-star | Defensive end | Stockbridge (Ga.)
    • Should you worry? Yes, maybe a little. Cox was all Georgia prior to taking a good look at Ohio State, and there’s no doubt that people around him will continue to try and keep him close to home. To this point, Cox has done and said all the right things, but as it gets closer to the end of his high school career, I imagine things will tighten up.
  • Sevyn Banks | 4-star | Cornerback | Orlando (Fla.) Jones
    • Should you worry? Yeah, probably. This one was a strange commitment when it happened in late April, but Banks, who sat out his junior season due to a torn ACL, is very high on Ohio State. The Buckeyes like how he projects at the next level. Still, there’s some uncertainty about how this one plays out. Whenever a player from Florida commits, there will be questions about how long it lasts.
  • Jaiden Woodbey | 4-star | Defensive back | Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
    • Should you worry? Yes. Ohio State is going to have a battle on its hands for Woodbey until the day he signs. The country’s third-ranked prospect loves Columbus and the Buckeyes, but he’s got hands pulling him in every direction on a daily basis. Will there come a time when the Ohio State staff decides it can’t keep trying to convince him? There are dozens of big-time players wanting to commit to Urban Meyer, so that’s something they’ll have to think about.
  • Josh Proctor | 4-star | Defensive back | Owasso (Okla.)
    • Should you worry? Sure, probably. Like Woodbey, Proctor committed to Ohio State rather than a local powerhouse (USC for Woodbey, Oklahoma in this case) that everyone expected him to play for. There’s not a lot of discussion about Proctor at this point and he — along with his parents — thoroughly researched the Buckeyes before making a decision. But distance and local loyalties can sway even the most solid commitment. Right now, though, there’s little to worry about here.

Penn State isn't the only school that has to fight to keep their verbals...

Ohio State:

What’s the deal with Ohio State’s current commits? Let’s run them down.

• Emory Jones | 5-star | Quarterback | Franklin (Ga.) Heard County
    • Should you worry? Yes, maybe a little. It’s hard to tell the entire SEC no. Florida, Florida State, Alabama, Auburn and Georgia are all actively trying to sway Jones from Ohio State, and he says he’ll take a look at a few schools this summer. Jones committed to the Buckeyes last July and has been a major part of their recruiting efforts.
  • Brenton Cox | 4-star | Defensive end | Stockbridge (Ga.)
    • Should you worry? Yes, maybe a little. Cox was all Georgia prior to taking a good look at Ohio State, and there’s no doubt that people around him will continue to try and keep him close to home. To this point, Cox has done and said all the right things, but as it gets closer to the end of his high school career, I imagine things will tighten up.
  • Sevyn Banks | 4-star | Cornerback | Orlando (Fla.) Jones
    • Should you worry? Yeah, probably. This one was a strange commitment when it happened in late April, but Banks, who sat out his junior season due to a torn ACL, is very high on Ohio State. The Buckeyes like how he projects at the next level. Still, there’s some uncertainty about how this one plays out. Whenever a player from Florida commits, there will be questions about how long it lasts.
  • Jaiden Woodbey | 4-star | Defensive back | Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
    • Should you worry? Yes. Ohio State is going to have a battle on its hands for Woodbey until the day he signs. The country’s third-ranked prospect loves Columbus and the Buckeyes, but he’s got hands pulling him in every direction on a daily basis. Will there come a time when the Ohio State staff decides it can’t keep trying to convince him? There are dozens of big-time players wanting to commit to Urban Meyer, so that’s something they’ll have to think about.
  • Josh Proctor | 4-star | Defensive back | Owasso (Okla.)
    • Should you worry? Sure, probably. Like Woodbey, Proctor committed to Ohio State rather than a local powerhouse (USC for Woodbey, Oklahoma in this case) that everyone expected him to play for. There’s not a lot of discussion about Proctor at this point and he — along with his parents — thoroughly researched the Buckeyes before making a decision. But distance and local loyalties can sway even the most solid commitment. Right now, though, there’s little to worry about here.
REMOTE MANAGEMENT IS NOT EASY! WOW--they have a lot of out of area recruits. That can be a distraction and suck up resoruces. We only have 1 in Fields I believe...lot easier to keep up with.

REMOTE MANAGEMENT IS NOT EASY! WOW--they have a lot of out of area recruits. That can be a distraction and suck up resoruces. We only have 1 in Fields I believe...lot easier to keep up with.

I would consider the two Texas commits to be out of area. Maybe even the Illinois and Michigan commits.

Don't forget the 2 DBs out of Texas -- Gordon and Humphries. Though I don't hear much about them looking around.

As much as fans like to talk about recruiting nationally, there are plenty of good reasons to concentrate on a more local recruiting territory, at least for the most part.

Reactions: TheGLOV and 81b&w
Don't forget the 2 DBs out of Texas -- Gordon and Humphries. Though I don't hear much about them looking around.

As much as fans like to talk about recruiting nationally, there are plenty of good reasons to concentrate on a more local recruiting territory, at least for the most part.
Agree....as stated. I think NEXT YEAR we might have this problem ;) but we can worry about that next year we might not care as much ;)

$$ article, but obviously PSU makes Top 2 for Aron Cruickshank. Offers from PSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc.

Our wide receiver recruiting this cycle is just crazy.

Justin Shorter, a 4-star WR and the longest-standing member of Franklin’s 2018 prospect haul, addressed Fields’ recruitment and potential impact Sunday.

“I actually talked to him and he is going to stay with Penn State unless things change in the future,” Shorter said.
“If Justin does come, it will be big for all of us. He’s just that dream quarterback everyone wants on their team, so it would be awesome.”

Fields’ future pass target is hardly alone in creating dialogue. The entire Nittany Lions class enjoys consistent communication.

“We have a group message, so we text every day,” Fields said. “We check with each other to see what’s going on in our lives, so we have a great relationship. We’re all close.”

2018-psu-spring-game-visitors_xpnd9u.jpg

Justin Fields, second from left in black shirt, walks with fellow Penn State commits outside Beaver Stadium shortly before the Nittany Lions spring game. (Tyler Donohue/Land of 10)
Still undecided about whether he will partake in the newly instituted early signing period (Dec. 20-22), Fields continues to navigate the recruiting trail with an open mind. The search for an ideal school, which led him to Penn State more than six months ago, is about achieving balance.

“The most important factor is how well I fit in the academics, how the family environment is there and having a great relationship with [coaches],” Fields said.

Well, that seems obvious. Fields will stay with us unless something changes. I know he meant that in a positive way.

Well, that seems obvious. Fields will stay with us unless something changes. I know he meant that in a positive way.

No, something changes with the Penn State coaching staff.

They will make sure that Moorhead sticks around for another season, imo.

Reactions: bmw199
Well, let's hope "crazy" means really really "crazy". Because other than Moorhead leaving, I don't see anything crazy happening. I guess worst case scenario is Moorhead leaving and going to Florida. Now, that would be crazy.

Sunday, Under Armour Camp Series - N.J., took place at St. Joseph (Mont.), showcasing some of the top talent throughout the region.

One prospect to stand out among the few hundred in attendance was Blair (Blairstown, N.J.) rising senior defensive end Jayson Oweh, who won the event's Big Man MVP as the top lineman in camp.

"I crushed the one-on-one pass rushing," the 6-5, 236-pound Oweh told NJ.com. "I (was told I) had the second fastest 40 at the camp, got selected for illSpeed and I won the Big Man MVP."

Oweh stood out at The Opening N.J Regional and now Under Armour camp and is well on his way to becoming one of the region's top recruits.

Although attendees weren't given their official test results at the event, Oweh ran a 4.63-second 40, a 4.57-second shuttle, threw the power ball 44.5 feet and displayed a 34.9-inch vertical leap at The Opening just a month ago.

Reactions: TheGLOV and royboy
Would JoMo leaving to be a HC considered crazy? I would think JF probably has talked to recruits about if coaches leave for a step up coaching wise ....
Justin previously said (a few months ago?) that his commitment to PSU was not contingent upon Moorhead staying. Personally, I don't even think JoeMo's in any kind of a rush to take over another program. Could see him here for several more years as we try to build this dynasty. But even if he did leave, CJF's certainly proven equally adept at identifying coaching talent as he does on the recruiting trail.

Oweh and Mustipher formally met Saturday, and it could prove to be the start of a long-term friendship.

“I’m glad we got to spend time together because he’s cool, open and funny,” Oweh said. “I would definitely like to play together in college. It would be crazy for us to line up next to each other at defensive tackle and defensive end.”

Although attendees weren't given their official test results at the event, Oweh ran a 4.63-second 40, a 4.57-second shuttle, threw the power ball 44.5 feet and displayed a 34.9-inch vertical leap at The Opening just a month ago.

Impressive profile for a guy his size. Comparable or better than "he whose name is rarely spoken here"?

Well, actually, just came across this fairly amazing snippet from the past weekend:
http://fanbuzz.com/story/five-star-...opponents-to-shame-with-crazy-100-meter-dash/

Football is a game that really tests the boundaries between speed and size. Five-star defensive end Micah Parsons, however, happens to have both in plentiful quantities.

Parsons, a former Penn State commit, participated in Saturday’s Mid-Penn Track and Field Championships, specifically in the 100-meter dash. Despite weighing in at 240-pounds, Parsons showed amazing sustained speed, running a 11.19 in the dash and winning his preliminary heat.

Parsons would go on to finish sixth in the finals with a 11.34 run, but the fact that he is even winning races in a 100-meter dash at that size is phenomenal. It makes Parsons an extremely exciting recruit, as few defensive linemen that size has the ability to burst and sustain speed like that for that long.

Impressive profile for a guy his size. Comparable or better than "he whose name is rarely spoken here"?

Well, actually, just came across this fairly amazing snippet from the past weekend:
http://fanbuzz.com/story/five-star-...opponents-to-shame-with-crazy-100-meter-dash/

Football is a game that really tests the boundaries between speed and size. Five-star defensive end Micah Parsons, however, happens to have both in plentiful quantities.

Parsons, a former Penn State commit, participated in Saturday’s Mid-Penn Track and Field Championships, specifically in the 100-meter dash. Despite weighing in at 240-pounds, Parsons showed amazing sustained speed, running a 11.19 in the dash and winning his preliminary heat.

Parsons would go on to finish sixth in the finals with a 11.34 run, but the fact that he is even winning races in a 100-meter dash at that size is phenomenal. It makes Parsons an extremely exciting recruit, as few defensive linemen that size has the ability to burst and sustain speed like that for that long.
I hope we get him. If not, I don't want him to go to O$U.

I hope we get him. If not, I don't want him to go to O$U.

Yep. I mean I'm not going to spend any time worrying about it (him or any other recruit.). But it would still be nice to have him end up at PSU

ADVERTISEMENT