ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

All fine and good. In a couple of weeks if PSU loses and he tweets JF should bench TS and play Stevens, I wonder how many will smile and shrug.
I'd probably smile and shrug. And I'd expect at that point, most will just see it as more of the same and expect Parsons isn't coming here.
Seems to me this is a bigger deal for tOSU than it is for PSU. If the assumptions play out, the Buckeyes are likely not going to have is talent on their roster. Not yet clear what this means for PSU. That's for CJF to decide.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I'd probably smile and shrug. And I'd expect at that point, most will just see it as more of the same and expect Parsons isn't coming here.
Seems to me this is a bigger deal for tOSU than it is for PSU. If the assumptions play out, the Buckeyes are likely not going to have is talent on their roster. Not yet clear what this means for PSU. That's for CJF to decide.
Agree that it is Franklin's call. My views are clearly from my living room. But, if it smells like a.......and looks like a.........it probably is. Football is the ultimate team game. I can speak from experience that one or two nitwits in the locker room or similar parents can blow up a season.

Ohio State fans are in a civil war over all this stuff...too much to hope they drive Meyer to the Notre Dame job next year? Haha, I know.

The biggest problem I see here is that you have to tread carefully whenever 1) you're dealing with a teenager; and 2) you're trying to criticize someone who is right and knows they're right and everybody but a willfully blind person (i.e., Meyer, Barrett, Price) knows they're right.

This isn't just the wrong reaction--it's not practical. When you have a problem, you need to address the problem rather than the ancillary stuff, or else you'll just create a bigger problem. That's what we're seeing here with the recruiting problem, which is a tangential result of the deeper problem.

The crux of the problem is this--circling the wagons isn't pixie dust and it won't magically change Barrett's arm strength, inaccuracy, inability to read coverage, etc. THAT'S the problem. Address it (i.e., bench Barrett) and you just might make the other problems go away.

But, alas, Meyer's doubling and tripling down on a horrendous poker hand, and so we see, people are calling his bluff, which means all he can achieve now is losing more... and more... and still more. Just like in Florida, where it only took about one year for his house of cards to implode on him.

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif
Looking at CUM's career, I don't see a track record of him doubling and tripling down on a horrendous poker hand, ever. Let's see his record at the end of the year and hope "all he can achieve now is losing more... and more... and still more."

Agree that it is Franklin's call. My views are clearly from my living room. But, if it smells like a.......and looks like a.........it probably is. Football is the ultimate team game. I can speak from experience that one or two nitwits in the locker room or similar parents can blow up a season.
Right. But if the kid's heart was set on playing for the Bucks and he has to look down at sweet puppy Brutus and face that he messed up (and we don't know if a disappointing message from CUM preceded his little JTB call-out), that's the sort of thing that may taste like humble pie.

To go from atop the CFB recruiting world to losing offers from PSU and tOSU, may be a huge h it for him. We have no idea right now. I get your point about a few nitwits messing up the team, but considering some of the nitwits CUM has won with, I don't think that'd be a huge problem in Columbus.

But what's comical to me right now marshall23, is that all here seem to agree on Parsons. A rarity in here for sure. ;-) Only issues I see are whether he's learning from this experience and whether it'll play out to benefit PSU. But if Parsons doesn't play for tOSU, I'll be happy about that.

Steve Wiltfong on Bucknuts podcast this morning, asked what was the latest with Micah Parsons...
"Micah favors Ohio State and Penn State. Right now as it stands, Ohio State is pushing for Tyreke Smith and Jayson Oweh. Penn State also covets Tyreke Smith and Jayson Oweh. With that, Nebraska is recruiting Micah the hardest right now."

Of course, Wiltfong switched his crystal ball from OSU to Nebraska.

DJPlNuPVAAAWul1.jpg
"Ohio defensive end Tyreke Smith is visiting USC this weekend for the game against Texas. Smith, the No. 152 ranked prospect, will also visit Alabama October 14 for its game against Arkansas, Penn State on an unofficial visit for its game against Michigan on October 21, Ohio State October 28 against Penn State, Oregon for its game against Oregon State November 25 and then take his official visit to Penn State in December 8."

Reactions: TheGLOV
I understand Parsons is on an unofficial visit. With the chatter from some saying he no longer holds a PSU offer, why would he visit and what interaction does staff have with unofficial visitors? Does Parsons get a free meal with his buddy or does he have to wait outside and buy a dog inside the stadium?

If PSU pulled the offer and has moved on, seems like this could really be uncomfortable up there on Sat

You talk like a troll when you speculate like that, on a forum that recruits can read.

Shouldn't we leave the recruiting to CJF - there is no need to post negative toned comments about potential or current recruits. Makes about as much sense as recruits second guessing successful college coach's decisions.....

Last edited:
LOL, have fun playing at Last Chance U next year... Who the eff does he think he is?

Yeah, if he wants to voice his opinion, he should do it anonymously on a sports message board.

What were these kids thinking. I hope Stubborn Meyer keeps Barrett as the starter.
J.T. Barrett
C/ATT
YDS AVG TD INT QBR
19/35 183 5.2 0 1 21.1

I understand Parsons is on an unofficial visit. With the chatter from some saying he no longer holds a PSU offer, why would he visit and what interaction does staff have with unofficial visitors? Does Parsons get a free meal with his buddy or does he have to wait outside and buy a dog inside the stadium?

If PSU pulled the offer and has moved on, seems like this could really be uncomfortable up there on Sat.
Parsons will not get a free meal. The only perk recruits get is complimentary tickets to the game.

From the NCAA site: What is an Unofficial Visit?

Answer:
Any visit by you and your parents to a college campus paid for by you or your parents. The only expense you may receive from the college is three complimentary admissions to a home athletics contest. You may make as many unofficial visits as you like and may take those visits at any time. The only time you cannot talk with a coach during an unofficial visit is during a dead period.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center/what-unofficial-visit

Listening to "The Notorious B1G" podcast (247 recruiting podcast with Wiltfong), and he just made a statement.
"James Franklin is recruiting Tyreke Smith as hard as anyone he has ever recruited, including his time at Vandy".

He is the 1 of the 3 that I want.

Wiltfong said he can see Oweh going to OSU, Parsons to Neb, and Smith to PSU.

Listening to "The Notorious B1G" podcast (247 recruiting podcast with Wiltfong), and he just made a statement.
"James Franklin is recruiting Tyreke Smith as hard as anyone he has ever recruited, including his time at Vandy".

He is the 1 of the 3 that I want.

Wiltfong said he can see Oweh going to OSU, Parsons to Neb, and Smith to PSU.
Did Wiltfong really say the Franklin claimed that Tyreke Smith is his 1 of 3? It's hard to imagine CJF putting that out for public consumption if he is pursuing all 3

Because he called them out by name. I'm sure they'd prefer to be left out of it.

Why would the Clemson and USC coaches have a problem with him giving his opinion on the OSU QB situation? It doesn't have anything to do with their teams

Why would the Clemson and USC coaches have a problem with him giving his opinion on the OSU QB situation? It doesn't have anything to do with their teams
Are you for real? You don't understand what was meant by the kid? I don't think Meyer would mind if the kid said who should start at USC or Clemson's. That is kind of the point.

Did Wiltfong really say the Franklin claimed that Tyreke Smith is his 1 of 3? It's hard to imagine CJF putting that out for public consumption if he is pursuing all 3

LOL no that is my own words HAHAHA he would be my first choice of the 3 of them... I apologize for the confusion

LOL no that is my own words HAHAHA he would be my first choice of the 3 of them... I apologize for the confusion
Ah... phew, glad Wiltfong did not say that. I heard him on a bucknuts morning show openly advocating for certain recruits. Did not seem appropriate given his role. Meyer doesn't need any help! I'm with on Smith, has been one of the only recruits to give Jackson Carmen problems at OL vs DL in camp settings

Pretty big news for the weekend...Oweh back in town for unofficial. Have to feel good this coming on heels of OSU visit and he still has his official scheduled for either Michigan or Nebraska weekend, I believe.

Nebraska weekend, Nov 18th.

This is crazy, the twists and turns for who will fill the last two or three spots.

Reactions: T J
I don't know, but maybe, just maybe it shows he's a disrespectful punk? Yea, I'm pretty sure that's it.

It's sour grapes either way you look at it. From what everyone has said, the entire coaching staff acted like children after the loss and made for an awkward end to these recruits OV. Everything is great when you are successful. It's how you act in defeat that shows ones character.

From Eleven Warriors....some solid info, some OSU spin...

Where does Ohio State stand with Cleveland Heights four-star defensive end Tyreke Smith? It looks like there may be growing concern that he's beginning to favor Penn State. - JacksonOhio5

You may recall Smith announced a Top 5 of Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State and USC shortly after he arried in Beaverton, Oregon, in late June for Nike Football's The Opening Finals. And it was there that I first got a sense of how real of a threat the Nittany Lions truly are.

For starters, his mom absolutely loves Penn State head coach James Franklin. As a former basketball player who went through the recruiting process herself, she appreciates his honesty with and compassion for her son. For example, Franklin will reach out to Smith when he knows he's traveling and wish him a safe trip.

Meyer, meanwhile, reaches out almost daily with what is perceived to be the same message he sends other recruits. Just making contact isn't going to work with Smith and his family. Meyer has to go above and beyond in his efforts.

Ohio State has also floated the idea of moving Smith to the interior portion of the defensive line, something he doesn't want to do at the next level. Penn State, meanwhile, is saying defensive end all the way.

Smith is originally from California, so it's not as if his ties to Ohio State run deep. And had the Buckeyes not offered him a scholarship when they did this winter, he seemed ready to move on altogether. This isn't a normal in-state recruitment, and it shouldn't just be assumed he'll end up in Columbus just because he lives in Cleveland.

Now, sources close to the Penn State program have told me they have only one spot along the defensive line left open, which means the Nittany Lions will have to decide between Smith, Parsons and New Jersey four-star defensive end Jayson Oweh. Ohio State doesn't have that problem, and could eventually land all three. But at some point, Franklin is going to have to decide which prospect he wants to go all-in for.

I believe Ohio State and Penn State are on even footing for Smith at the moment, with the Buckeyes pulling even. But landing Smith isn't going to be easy or a foregone conclusion by any means.

From Eleven Warriors....some solid info, some OSU spin...

Where does Ohio State stand with Cleveland Heights four-star defensive end Tyreke Smith? It looks like there may be growing concern that he's beginning to favor Penn State. - JacksonOhio5

You may recall Smith announced a Top 5 of Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State and USC shortly after he arried in Beaverton, Oregon, in late June for Nike Football's The Opening Finals. And it was there that I first got a sense of how real of a threat the Nittany Lions truly are.

For starters, his mom absolutely loves Penn State head coach James Franklin. As a former basketball player who went through the recruiting process herself, she appreciates his honesty with and compassion for her son. For example, Franklin will reach out to Smith when he knows he's traveling and wish him a safe trip.

Meyer, meanwhile, reaches out almost daily with what is perceived to be the same message he sends other recruits. Just making contact isn't going to work with Smith and his family. Meyer has to go above and beyond in his efforts.

Ohio State has also floated the idea of moving Smith to the interior portion of the defensive line, something he doesn't want to do at the next level. Penn State, meanwhile, is saying defensive end all the way.

Smith is originally from California, so it's not as if his ties to Ohio State run deep. And had the Buckeyes not offered him a scholarship when they did this winter, he seemed ready to move on altogether. This isn't a normal in-state recruitment, and it shouldn't just be assumed he'll end up in Columbus just because he lives in Cleveland.

Now, sources close to the Penn State program have told me they have only one spot along the defensive line left open, which means the Nittany Lions will have to decide between Smith, Parsons and New Jersey four-star defensive end Jayson Oweh. Ohio State doesn't have that problem, and could eventually land all three. But at some point, Franklin is going to have to decide which prospect he wants to go all-in for.

I believe Ohio State and Penn State are on even footing for Smith at the moment, with the Buckeyes pulling even. But landing Smith isn't going to be easy or a foregone conclusion by any means.

Good info even with the slant. I can't see JF saying no if both Smith and Oweh say they want to commit to PSU.

You talk like a troll when you speculate like that, on a forum that recruits can read.

Shouldn't we leave the recruiting to CJF - there is no need to post negative toned comments about potential or current recruits. Makes about as much sense as recruits second guessing successful college coach's decisions.....

I didn't say anything negative. I simply asked what interaction staff has with unofficial visitors and what he was allowed to partake in. It seems that staff time is limited so would assume it's directed towards official visitors. Would also think that people on unofficial likely receive little or no benefits. Not sure why you responded so negatively

Yeah, if he wants to voice his opinion, he should do it anonymously on a sports message board.

What were these kids thinking. I hope Stubborn Meyer keeps Barrett as the starter.
J.T. Barrett
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
19/35 183 5.2 0 1 21.1
I hope he keeps Barnett until after the penn state tOSU game and then switch QBs in time to prepare for michigan

Franklin cant mention anything in public about any specific recruit and I can't recall a recruiting writer ever quoting a coach directly to avoid this optic. Mostly it's said in the context of penn state really want somand so, as opposed to coach X really wants so and so...

Let's say we land either Oweh or Smith. I'm greedy and would love both, but it may not be realistic. Does this mean that Hardy or Cullpepper would then be earmarked for DT?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT