ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

This has been known to be an issue for over a year. It's why everybody backed off on him a long time ago. Recall that he attended 3 different high schools, and each one was a step down academically from the one before. This may have been the reason that Hamlin is being moved to safety.

So his LOI means nothing, right?
Lost understanding of the NCAA Clearinghouse standards once I retired. I believe under the current standards a student can amend a deficiency in one subject in summer school. Beyond that, he/she must enroll in a prep program for at least a semester. If that semester does not yield a qualifying GPA, then it is usually off to JUCO. Others please contribute as I am no longer involved with the process.

Reactions: artsandletters
So his LOI means nothing, right?

Depends on what the deficiency(ies) is(are) in his academic credentials and what he decides to do to remedy them. If he completed the required 16 core courses adn graduated high school he could enroll and take an "academic redshirt" which means he can receive financial aid and practice, but not play. Beyond that is purely wild speculation.

Reactions: artsandletters
Lost understanding of the NCAA Clearinghouse standards once I retired. I believe under the current standards a student can amend a deficiency in one subject in summer school. Beyond that, he/she must enroll in a prep program for at least a semester. If that semester does not yield a qualifying GPA, then it is usually off to JUCO. Others please contribute as I am no longer involved with the process.

Almost, but not entirely. The rule is that one core course can be made up/replaced. Where and how is open to interpretation. If the problem is not with the transcript, but the test score, the prospect can retake it until he gets one that qualifies. If the problem is more than one course or an intractable test score, then it's off to junior college for two years.....unless you can find a way to finagle NCAA rules which frequently seems to happen.

SPITT wits try to put a spin on these things by pretending it is "their" high academic standards. A students high school submits his transcripts to the NCAA Clearinghouse. His GPA in the required core courses is evaluated on a sliding scale with SAT or ACT scores and a determination is made.....by The Clearinghouse, not the institution of his choice as to whether he is a qualifier.

Reactions: Alphabets
Remember Ford took a late visit to Miami, and they didn't even offer. Everyone knew his grades were a mess. Pitt knew but they took him for the PR.

Reactions: marshall23
Almost, but not entirely. The rule is that one core course can be made up/replaced. Where and how is open to interpretation. If the problem is not with the transcript, but the test score, the prospect can retake it until he gets one that qualifies. If the problem is more than one course or an intractable test score, then it's off to junior college for two years.....unless you can find a way to finagle NCAA rules which frequently seems to happen.

With today's opportunities to take ACT and SATs many, many times.....if the deficiency is with the test score my guess is its JUCOville.

SPITT wits try to put a spin on these things by pretending it is "their" high academic standards. A students high school submits his transcripts to the NCAA Clearinghouse. His GPA in the required core courses is evaluated on a sliding scale with SAT or ACT scores and a determination is made.....by The Clearinghouse, not the institution of his choice as to whether he is a qualifier.

Yes, but an institution is not required to admit a prospect even if he qualifies under NCAA standards. At this point, I would guess the the Eligibility Center (f/k/a Clearinghouse) hasn't even evaluated Ford's credentials.

With today's opportunities to take ACT and SATs many, many times.....if the deficiency is with the test score my guess is its JUCOville.

Depends on how close he is to the score he needs. Professional test prep can achieve wonders. Fixing a transcript is a lot harder.

Yes, but an institution is not required to admit a prospect even if he qualifies under NCAA standards. At this point, I would guess the the Eligibility Center (f/k/a Clearinghouse) hasn't even evaluated Ford's credentials.

I forget the date or timing, but most SEC fans actually know the Clearinghouse date....it's where they really find out who was in their last class. I kid you not.

Perhaps nothing official....but if you have his test scores and his gpa, its not difficult to project.
Sounds to me like it isn't close.

Perhaps nothing official....but if you have his test scores and his gpa, its not difficult to project.
Sounds to me like it isn't close.

Sure you can. But my point was that just because someone qualifies under the standards the NCAA uses to certify kumquats, doesn't mean that a school has to admit him. Doesn't happen very often, but it happens.

Jahan Dotson journeyed to State College for the spring game on April 22, surrounded by Nittany Lions commits. During our conversation one week later at The Opening’s New Jersey regional, he explained his decision is down to three Big Ten schools: Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.

Like George, he is considered a 4-star recruit and a slam-dunk pick (82 percent) to sign with Penn State in the 247Sports crystal ball. This spring, Dotson said the Nittany Lions were recruiting him hardest and indicated a collegiate decision would likely occur before summer training camp.

A development this week may also impact the situation. Dotson is returning to Nazareth Area High in Pennsylvania after a year at Peddie School (Hightstown, N.J.), according to Greg Joyce of LehighValleyLive.

Still, he’s largely kept this recruitment close to the vest and you won’t read much about him in media reports. If Dotson sticks with his plan to announce during the summer, Penn State would seemingly be in good shape, but this isn’t a sure thing.

Rest assured, there is at least one member of the Nittany Lions recruiting class working to make it happen.

“Jahan is one of the greatest [high school receivers] that I’ve seen,” Shorter said after the two competed together at an April camp. “I’ve watched his film, I’ve seen him in person, and it’s just awesome to witness the things he can do. He can catch a 5-yard hitch, break [defenders’] ankles and score.”

https://www.landof10.com/penn-state/175672

Some funny rutgres recruiting news:

- A OL from Connecticut committed to them yesterday, only to decommit 15 hours later
- A TE from New Jersey, with a rutgres offer, committed to pitt today while at a rutgres football camp

Just rutgres being rutgres.

Reactions: Alphabets

- A OL from Connecticut committed to them yesterday, only to decommit 15 hours later
- A TE from New Jersey, with a rutgres offer, committed to pitt today while at a rutgres football camp

It's not even entertaining making fun of them anymore. It's just sad at this point. They're an FCS equivalent.

I don't see how Ash gets Rutgers out of their mess. The stuff happening with their recruiting this year seems unprecedented. When you start having guys commit to other teams while on campus at your camp, and having guys stay committed for only about 15 hours before decommitting, you are in some kind of fantasy world. This just doesn't happen.

I don't see how Ash gets Rutgers out of their mess. The stuff happening with their recruiting this year seems unprecedented. When you start having guys commit to other teams while on campus at your camp, and having guys stay committed for only about 15 hours before decommitting, you are in some kind of fantasy world. This just doesn't happen.

It's going to be extremely tough sledding for Ash at Rutgers. For a variety of reasons, he's gained next to no traction with NJ high schools. He's going to have to rely on what he hopes are underrated prospects from out-of-state and that is not a formula for success.

Reactions: TheGLOV

I went to their board to see what they were saying and I laughed when a poster said that after the OL decommitted he went back to look at his tape and wasn't impressed and it wasn't a big loss. This was after they celebrated the commitment. At this point for them, I would think any decommit after tricking a player into committing to Rutgres is a big deal.

The bottom line is, in college football if you have to choose between the better coach or the better recruiter, you just have to take the latter, unless you are at one of the places that recruits itself, like Michigan or ND.

Daniel George. . .

"I haven't taken any visits lately but I plan to take a lot of them in July so I can commit in late July or early August," George said. "If I can't decide by then it'll be after the season. So far I only have one visit set. I'll be at Penn State on July 15th.

"Penn State is definitely high on my list," he said. "I just want to take all my visits to see how I feel about everything and see how they stack up. Virginia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, Maryland, and maybe West Virginia will get visits. I don't have any of them planned yet.

"I have the best relationships with coach Galloway from Louisville, coach Gattis from Penn State, and coach Aazaar from Maryland," said George. "I would say North Carolina could use me the best because they pass the ball so much but don't have many top receivers."

https://n.rivals.com/news/big-ten-acc-big-12-schools-to-host-rivals250-wr-in-july

I went to their board to see what they were saying and I laughed when a poster said that after the OL decommitted he went back to look at his tape and wasn't impressed and it wasn't a big loss. This was after they celebrated the commitment. At this point for them, I would think any decommit after tricking a player into committing to Rutgres is a big deal.

Truth is that the kid isn't that impressive. That Rutgers has to scrape that far down and then have a kid at that level decommit that fast demonstrates how desperate that program is.

Rutgers will fill their roster with 2nd 25 prospects from NJ, and 2nd 25 prospects from other states, just like pitt does. But what does the state of Rutgers recruiting have to do with THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY 2018 Recruiting Thread????????

Rutgers will fill their roster with 2nd 25 prospects from NJ, and 2nd 25 prospects from other states, just like pitt does. But what does the state of Rutgers recruiting have to do with THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY 2018 Recruiting Thread????????

You're right, Rutgers recruiting has nothing to do with PSU recruiting. So how much earth-shattering news re PSU recruiting is being crowded out of this thread by the discussion of Rutgers recruiting?

Daniel George. . .

"I haven't taken any visits lately but I plan to take a lot of them in July so I can commit in late July or early August," George said. "If I can't decide by then it'll be after the season. So far I only have one visit set. I'll be at Penn State on July 15th.

"Penn State is definitely high on my list," he said. "I just want to take all my visits to see how I feel about everything and see how they stack up. Virginia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, Maryland, and maybe West Virginia will get visits. I don't have any of them planned yet.

"I have the best relationships with coach Galloway from Louisville, coach Gattis from Penn State, and coach Aazaar from Maryland," said George. "I would say North Carolina could use me the best because they pass the ball so much but don't have many top receivers."

https://n.rivals.com/news/big-ten-acc-big-12-schools-to-host-rivals250-wr-in-july
Sounds like it's looking good. Is the 15th the Lasch Bash?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT