ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Sure he will and under armor will slide a blank check over to him and say fill it in to stay ...

Egos alone chase coaches out of schools like UMD in most cases. Money will be there from most schools if there comes a point he is actually in demand. Wasn't last year a more senior laden team for UMD...but they still have RU...and probably MSU again this year.

Last year when Brown ( I think) was forced prematurely into the LB slots due to injuries, I really felt afraid he'd be injured. Hell, I think he only weighed 195+. He looked awfully undersized, but I understand reading some of the boards messages the past few months that Brown is becoming a force this year.
FWIW - just one guy's opinion:

I thought that Brown was the most "improved" guy in the BW Game (performance there, vs what he looked like in 2016)
Both in his physical "look", as well as his decisiveness (confidence?) in attacking his assignments.

FWIW - just one guy's opinion:

I thought that Brown was the most "improved" guy in the BW Game (performance there, vs what he looked like in 2016)
Both in his physical "look", as well as his decisiveness (confidence?) in attacking his assignments.
I thought he was boom or bust. WAY more confidence which is great to see, but I saw him get caught in the wrong place a number of times. Hey, he is young, that will happen, but he definitely needs to clean it up and be more consistent.

Name Pos Stars
Austin Fontaine DT ****
Evan Gregory OL ****
Brian Cobbs WR ***
Chance Campbell LB ***
Dontay Demus WR ***
Durell Nchami DE ***
Jaelyn Duncan OL ***
Maleak Bryant TE ***
Nihym Anderson LB ***
Raymond Boone DB ***
Tyler DeSue QB ***

Elite recruiter? That's wishful thinking on your part sir.

Not saying he isn't doing better than past Maryland coaches.
But it is relative to where he is trying to convice kids come. His only selling point is proximity for DMV kids, as there is little to no football tradition at MD. If he can get 3 and some 5 star kids there, without success/tradition, then imagine if he were at a traditional top twenty program.

But it is relative to where he is trying to convice kids come. His only selling point is proximity for DMV kids, as there is little to no football tradition at MD. If he can get 3 and some 5 star kids there, without success/tradition, then imagine if he were at a traditional top twenty program.

Actually, they do have SOME history.

2 National Championships on the 1950's (ie - since 1950 they have as many football National Championships as Pitt and Michigan......combined :) )

And - the only era in recent times when they had decent coaches, Claiborne and Ross - they went 106 Wins to 46 Losses from 1973 - 1985.
They were top 15 in winning percentage in the country over that span
9 of those 13 years they were in the top TWENTY (remember, it used to be just 20 teams "ranked", not 25)

And, later, with Friedgen, they had three straight 10+ win seasons

Their problem is they went through a bevy of shitty head coaches for a 15-20 year span

If this new guy IS a solid head coach (that is yet to be definitively determined) they will rise to be a regular top-25 level program....... I'd bet on that.

No attempt, scholar. From the article cited and linked by PearlSUJam above:

"During the 2014-15 academic year, the NCAA reported the Nittany Lions earned an APR score of 993 out of 1,000, a record yearly high for the program."

That information is a year old. For the 2015-16 academic year, the APR was 972. So why don't tell me the direction of the "trajectory?"

Ignorance is bliss, ain't it.

It is still an average of 4 years!!! Those years I cited make up the average for 2015-2016, Einstein.

It is still an average of 4 years!!! Those years I cited make up the average for 2015-2016, Einstein.

I really don't give a shit. The number for the current academic year went down from the previous one. Note how your Athletic Director of the Year didn't trumpet that in blaring headlines.

22 teams scored an APR for 2015-16 that was equal or higher than the previous year while 18 of them had a perfect score (also a higher number than the previous year). Football's APR is still above the national average and far above the 930 line for possible penalties.

Cry more about Sandy though, as PSU continues to win championships.

He's not getting the fact that the APR score posted on NCAA.org for each year are 4 year averages that include that year and the 3 prior years. That's why PSU's is only 969 in the report just released. And I'm just referring to football program.

I really don't give a shit. The number for the current academic year went down from the previous one. Note how your Athletic Director of the Year didn't trumpet that in blaring headlines.

Previous year was 960. Come on Art, look the info up before you discuss what you don't give a shit about.

Previous year was 960. Come on Art, look the info up before you discuss what you don't give a shit about.

Why don't you look up the information that is consistent with the article that PearlSUJam cited, since you decided to barge in on a discussion between him and me?

Apparently it is a lost skill to start a separate thread for things that have nothing to do with the thread title. Go ahead and have your discussions, I have no problem with that. Just start another thread when the topic is Pitt/Ohio State/Athletic Director etc. Is it so hard?

It's a big board and you're free to not read that which doesn't interest you.

He's not getting the fact that the APR score posted on NCAA.org for each year are 4 year averages that include that year and the 3 prior years. That's why PSU's is only 969 in the report just released. And I'm just referring to football program.

And you're not getting the fact that in order for a four-year average to be calculated data is collected for each discrete year and is also available on the NCAA's site. Or maybe finding it is just beyond your ability. Imagine that.

Better a post that's nothing than someone that's nothing.
rt2fdv.gif

Reactions: burghslim
And you're free to not be a jerk and take your arguments to a thread where it would not be completely off-topic.

Actually he's not free to not read that which doesn't interest him if you're going to interject a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with recruiting into this thread that is entitled "2018 Recruiting Thread."

Actually he's not free to not read that which doesn't interest him if you're going to interject a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with recruiting into this thread that is entitled "2018 Recruiting Thread."

Thanks for contributing to the pollution.

Does anyone else recall the vitriol directed at Lamont Wade from the Pitt geniuses when he committed? Too small, not a big time player, couldn't compete with the likes of a top prospect like their own Paris Ford. Looks like they didn't get either one. Of course, The Lair says that PSU would never have a non-qualifier, we have a "system" in place.....LOL.

Does anyone else recall the vitriol directed at Lamont Wade from the Pitt geniuses when he committed? Too small, not a big time player, couldn't compete with the likes of a top prospect like their own Paris Ford. Looks like they didn't get either one. Of course, The Lair says that PSU would never have a non-qualifier, we have a "system" in place.....LOL.

PSU does have a system in place...try to avoid them. PSU very well still could have one this year and has a few like DC or others that went another route to get in. Most coaches in a good spot will ask to see progress or walk away. Desperate coaches don't have that choice and will take the commit even if there isn't a prayer of the kid qualifying that year...see Adam McLean for example. PSU laid out some things for him to do...instead he was out seeing the world and Edsall said that was just fine so he jumped.

Wait, why aren't they getting Ford?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT