ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Sorry to go off topic and talk recruiting...
Jaelyn Duncan picks the Terps over the Buckeyes. I'll tell you what, Durkin is doing a good job getting most of the in state talent to stay right now. I don't know if it will continue, and of course he loses some too, but if I were an UMD fan I would be excited.

Been thinking the same thing. He picked up some recruiting tips quite well from Urban. Terp fans should be excited. IF he is able to do this every year UM will be taking a big step up shortly.

Reactions: TheGLOV
***Recruit***_______________________________________***School***
1. DE - Micah Parson........................................................(_____________)
2. SAF - Isheem Young.....................................................(_____________)
3. WR - Jahan Dotson.......................................................(_____________)
4. DT - PJ Mustipher.........................................................(_____________)
5. DE - Tyreke Smith.........................................................(_____________)
6. LB - Jack Lamb..............................................................(_____________)
7. SAF - Kwantel Raines....................................................(_____________)
8. WR - Solomon Enis........................................................(_____________)
9. DT - Aeneas Hawkins.....................................................(_____________)
10. WR - Daniel George.....................................................(_____________)
11. OT - Rasheed Walker...................................................(_____________)
12. OG - Fred Scruggs.......................................................(_____________)
13. DE - Dorian Hardy........................................................( Penn State )
14. OT - Blake Zubovic.......................................................( Pitt )
15. DE - Marcellus Earlington.............................................(_____________)
16. DE - Jayson Oweh........................................................(_____________)
17. DE - John Morgan.........................................................( Pitt )
18. WR - Aron Cruicshank...................................................(_____________)
19. OT - Tyler Bradley.........................................................(_____________)
20. DE - K.J. Henry..............................................................(_____________)
21. LB - Brian Asamoah.......................................................(_____________)
22. OT - Christian Armstrong...............................................(_____________)
23. DB - Jordan Miner..........................................................(_____________)
24. OT - Chris Bleich...........................................................(___UCLA______)
25. WR - Darryle Simmons..................................................(___VT )

Record their school choice as time goes on.

Roar Lions Roar!

:)

Where did you come up with these 25 recruits? lol

Reactions: TheGLOV
Under Armor can write large checks to convince him to stay ...
Yep.

As opposed to our "Rivals from the Raritan"... UMd had/has everything in place to be able to build a solid FB program (and they do, also, have a reasonable history of some successes)

They have a nice location vav recruiting....
A large Alumni base (though it has never been particularly supportive vav Football)......
Large population center from which to draw fans/viewership.....
And, now, especially w UnderArmour and the increasing B1G split, plenty of money

No guarantees, but when UMd got the OK to join the B1G, there were no insurmountable obstacles left preventing them from putting out consistently football squads.

Sorry to go off topic and talk recruiting...
Jaelyn Duncan picks the Terps over the Buckeyes. I'll tell you what, Durkin is doing a good job getting most of the in state talent to stay right now. I don't know if it will continue, and of course he loses some too, but if I were an UMD fan I would be excited.
He is an elite recruiter, there is no doubt about it.

For those gripping over Fields, Sean Clifford gave an interview on the KSN podcast yesterday. What an impressive kid. Says his arm is 100%, just has to get back the strength he lost recovering from the surgery. Says he was benching over 300 prior. Elite 11 QB, true blue Penn Stater. Was refreshing to hear.

sean-clifford-2016-b0be860421cb9708.jpg

Clifford.jpg
Shoulders always scare me with QBs. A bum shoulder absolutely destroyed Mills. Hopefully Clifford is good to go after a RS season.

Reactions: step.eng69
Wiltfong was on a local podcast.

Wiltfong basically closed the door on PSU and Fields, based on his conversations with him. Thinks we still have a good shot with Parsons, ground we've been over many times. Said we are top 2 or 3 for Mustipher and Tyreke Smith, we'll land Isheem Young, Juice Scruggs is looking good for Penn State, Rasheed Walker excellent chance. Top 5 finish still in reach? "No question."

Wiltfong was on a local podcast.

Wiltfong basically closed the door on PSU and Fields, based on his conversations with him. Thinks we still have a good shot with Parsons, ground we've been over many times. Said we are top 2 or 3 for Mustipher and Tyreke Smith, we'll land Isheem Young, Juice Scruggs is looking good for Penn State, Rasheed Walker excellent chance. Top 5 finish still in reach? "No question."
One of the reasons Duncan probably chose UMD was that OSU already has 2 top 100 lineman and are the favorite for #12 Carman. They are also in on a number of other 4* OL from the south. That might push Juice to PSU. I think we're top 2 for both Mustipher and Smith. Probably don't get both, after this past week I think Smith is OSU bound, which could have the same effect on Oweh as on Juice.

No attempt, scholar. From the article cited and linked by PearlSUJam above:

"During the 2014-15 academic year, the NCAA reported the Nittany Lions earned an APR score of 993 out of 1,000, a record yearly high for the program."

That information is a year old. For the 2015-16 academic year, the APR was 972. So why don't tell me the direction of the "trajectory?"

Ignorance is bliss, ain't it.

Go get'em Art!

Name Pos Stars
Austin Fontaine DT ****
Evan Gregory OL ****
Brian Cobbs WR ***
Chance Campbell LB ***
Dontay Demus WR ***
Durell Nchami DE ***
Jaelyn Duncan OL ***
Maleak Bryant TE ***
Nihym Anderson LB ***
Raymond Boone DB ***
Tyler DeSue QB ***

Elite recruiter? That's wishful thinking on your part sir.

Not saying he isn't doing better than past Maryland coaches.
He killed it at Florida and Michigan. Maryland is not a hard sell, but it's not easy either. Trust me, he is doing better recruiting for UMD than most other coaches would at this point.

Reactions: dbaguy and bmw199
This tOSU's official visit agenda looks funny, but before I start rolling on the floor...does someone have one of CJF's agenda's for officials?

Diamond in the Rough? :cool:

Penn State freshman Brailyn Franklin, the ‘Slash’ player of the 2017 Class: QB/RB/WR/DL/LB/CB
By Ryne Gery

rgery@centredaily.com

Editor’s note: Every day, from now until Penn State football’s Class of 2017 reports to campus June 24, we’ll highlight a different one of the Nittany Lions’ 17 incoming signees. Today is Day 14 of the 17-day series.

Former Battlefield (Va.) coach Jared Van Acker can still remember meeting Brailyn Franklin for the first time — because, in a matter of months, Van Acker realized “he’s by far the best athlete I’ve ever coached in my 10 years.”

Franklin, an incoming Penn State freshman, would go on to play just about every position on the football field — quarterback to defensive tackle, running back to cornerback, wide receiver to linebacker — and he never failed to find a new way to surprise Van Acker. The first time they met, with the lanky Franklin clad in a T-shirt and shorts in the high school gym, Van Acker acknowledged he was a little awestruck.

“The first time I shook his hand, he had a paw,” the coach said with a laugh. “Those things were huge. So he passed the eyeball test. I was like, ‘Man, I can’t wait to see this guy on the field.’”

Franklin, a projected outside linebacker at the next level, didn’t fail to impress.

A week after that first meeting, Van Acker looked on as the high school transfer from Texas sprinted on the practice field while competing in 7-on-7s. It looked as if the ball became glued to those paws during every passing route. Not only would he make a one-handed touchdown grab but then, on the other end of the field, he’d shut down Battlefield’s top receiver. He glided effortlessly on the gridiron and, in the weight room, everything seemed to come natural.

Franklin was even better than Van Acker’s first impression indicated.

“He would just not get tired,” Van Acker said. “He would run for days, and he would be sprinting the whole time and that kind of stuff. He’s just got some intangibles you can’t coach.”

Franklin was a Jabrill Peppers without the hype, a versatile player who tried his hand at virtually every position outside of the offensive line. He started out as a quarterback, but the coaching staff agreed the team’s signal-caller couldn’t play defense. And Franklin needed to be in the game at all times. Eventually, they settled on cornerback and wide receiver/running back — but, due to injuries, that didn’t stick.

The defensive line was thin so, they figured, why not plug the 204-pound player in at nose tackle? He was one of the bigger kids on the team, and what did they have to lose? In the end, the only thing opposing offenses ended up losing — sleep.

“I kind of call him a ‘disrupter,’” Hylton coach Tony Lilly said. “They played him out of position on the defensive side of the ball for the most part. ... He’s clearly a linebacker, but he was such a fast, fast kid and strong that he just really — he disrupted our offense at all times.”

The yes-sir, no-sir athlete relished in hitting. In the final seven games of his junior season at defensive tackle, he came up with 17 sacks. As a senior, he finished with 29 tackles for loss. Sometimes, he’d leap over the center and tackle the quarterback before he even completed a three-step drop. “In one game, the center was so nervous (Franklin) was there, he’d snap the ball over the quarterback’s head,” Van Acker remembered. Other times, the player fast enough to be a burner at receiver would chase down the pocket passer as if it was a cornerback blitz from the middle of the field.

“He’s very intimidating because he’s fast, but he’s strong too,” Van Acker added. “He’s just like a big cat.”

Against Osbourn, Battlefield’s coach can still remember the frustration painted on the opposing team’s face. Franklin had seven or eight sacks; they couldn’t stop him. And that happened to be a recurring theme throughout Franklin’s high school career. Against Hayfield in the playoffs, Franklin’s opponents used a double-team on the line and then kept a running back in for pass protection — and Franklin still collected several backfield stops and a few batted-down passes. Against a heavily favored Lake Braddock, Franklin helped shut the offense down as his team came up just short in a 13-10 loss.

“They had 300-pound kids on the line, and he’s throwing them back and slamming the quarterback,” said Chris Ferrill, Franklin’s friend and high school teammate.

Another opposing coach, Patriot’s Brud Bicknell, said Franklin possessed similar athleticism and versatility to area stars Da’Shawn Hand and Ahmad Brooks, two consensus five-star recruits from 2014 and 2001, respectively. (Recruiting expert Tom Lemming once compared Brooks in high school to LaVar Arrington, and Rivals ranked Hand as the nation’s top overall high school prospect.)

“He’s in that rare group,” Bicknell said, referring to the trio’s ability in high school before discussing Franklin’s potential in college. “I think a big part of it is going to be just what he can do size-wise to make sure that he can be a Big Ten player.”

At 6-foot-1 and 204 pounds, he’s 16 pounds lighter than the Nittany Lions’ average linebacker. But there’s time to grow — and Franklin’s high school coach was quick to reiterate his star pupil’s versatility and the fact he doesn’t mind doing what’s best for the team.

As Franklin attended camps and wowed colleges between his junior and senior seasons, he often heard whispers of how colleges wanted to see him at linebacker. After all, there just isn’t a recruiting market for 200-pound defensive tackles. So Franklin turned to his coach one day and asked, “What do you think about me playing linebacker my senior season?” Van Acker told him that was an option — but it would be best for the team if he stayed at nose guard.

So Franklin stayed at nose guard. He never asked again. The soft-spoken Texan — who once sported a weighted vest to make practice even harder — didn’t need more scholarship offers. He didn’t need more recruiting attention. And he felt he didn’t need to attend different showcases and recruiting camps separate from certain schools.

He wanted schools to take him as he was. And Penn State was only too happy to oblige.

“He’s just a phenomenal athlete,” Bicknell said. “It’s going to be really exciting to see what he can do to his physical stature and just how much bigger he can get.”

Said Van Acker: “If he puts his mind to it and he works hard in the weight room and goes out on the field and shows up every day, he can be a future first-round draft pick.”

Diamond in the Rough? :cool:

Penn State freshman Brailyn Franklin, the ‘Slash’ player of the 2017 Class: QB/RB/WR/DL/LB/CB
By Ryne Gery

rgery@centredaily.com

Editor’s note: Every day, from now until Penn State football’s Class of 2017 reports to campus June 24, we’ll highlight a different one of the Nittany Lions’ 17 incoming signees. Today is Day 14 of the 17-day series.

Former Battlefield (Va.) coach Jared Van Acker can still remember meeting Brailyn Franklin for the first time — because, in a matter of months, Van Acker realized “he’s by far the best athlete I’ve ever coached in my 10 years.”

Franklin, an incoming Penn State freshman, would go on to play just about every position on the football field — quarterback to defensive tackle, running back to cornerback, wide receiver to linebacker — and he never failed to find a new way to surprise Van Acker. The first time they met, with the lanky Franklin clad in a T-shirt and shorts in the high school gym, Van Acker acknowledged he was a little awestruck.

“The first time I shook his hand, he had a paw,” the coach said with a laugh. “Those things were huge. So he passed the eyeball test. I was like, ‘Man, I can’t wait to see this guy on the field.’”

Franklin, a projected outside linebacker at the next level, didn’t fail to impress.

A week after that first meeting, Van Acker looked on as the high school transfer from Texas sprinted on the practice field while competing in 7-on-7s. It looked as if the ball became glued to those paws during every passing route. Not only would he make a one-handed touchdown grab but then, on the other end of the field, he’d shut down Battlefield’s top receiver. He glided effortlessly on the gridiron and, in the weight room, everything seemed to come natural.

Franklin was even better than Van Acker’s first impression indicated.

“He would just not get tired,” Van Acker said. “He would run for days, and he would be sprinting the whole time and that kind of stuff. He’s just got some intangibles you can’t coach.”

Franklin was a Jabrill Peppers without the hype, a versatile player who tried his hand at virtually every position outside of the offensive line. He started out as a quarterback, but the coaching staff agreed the team’s signal-caller couldn’t play defense. And Franklin needed to be in the game at all times. Eventually, they settled on cornerback and wide receiver/running back — but, due to injuries, that didn’t stick.

The defensive line was thin so, they figured, why not plug the 204-pound player in at nose tackle? He was one of the bigger kids on the team, and what did they have to lose? In the end, the only thing opposing offenses ended up losing — sleep.

“I kind of call him a ‘disrupter,’” Hylton coach Tony Lilly said. “They played him out of position on the defensive side of the ball for the most part. ... He’s clearly a linebacker, but he was such a fast, fast kid and strong that he just really — he disrupted our offense at all times.”

The yes-sir, no-sir athlete relished in hitting. In the final seven games of his junior season at defensive tackle, he came up with 17 sacks. As a senior, he finished with 29 tackles for loss. Sometimes, he’d leap over the center and tackle the quarterback before he even completed a three-step drop. “In one game, the center was so nervous (Franklin) was there, he’d snap the ball over the quarterback’s head,” Van Acker remembered. Other times, the player fast enough to be a burner at receiver would chase down the pocket passer as if it was a cornerback blitz from the middle of the field.

“He’s very intimidating because he’s fast, but he’s strong too,” Van Acker added. “He’s just like a big cat.”

Against Osbourn, Battlefield’s coach can still remember the frustration painted on the opposing team’s face. Franklin had seven or eight sacks; they couldn’t stop him. And that happened to be a recurring theme throughout Franklin’s high school career. Against Hayfield in the playoffs, Franklin’s opponents used a double-team on the line and then kept a running back in for pass protection — and Franklin still collected several backfield stops and a few batted-down passes. Against a heavily favored Lake Braddock, Franklin helped shut the offense down as his team came up just short in a 13-10 loss.

“They had 300-pound kids on the line, and he’s throwing them back and slamming the quarterback,” said Chris Ferrill, Franklin’s friend and high school teammate.

Another opposing coach, Patriot’s Brud Bicknell, said Franklin possessed similar athleticism and versatility to area stars Da’Shawn Hand and Ahmad Brooks, two consensus five-star recruits from 2014 and 2001, respectively. (Recruiting expert Tom Lemming once compared Brooks in high school to LaVar Arrington, and Rivals ranked Hand as the nation’s top overall high school prospect.)

“He’s in that rare group,” Bicknell said, referring to the trio’s ability in high school before discussing Franklin’s potential in college. “I think a big part of it is going to be just what he can do size-wise to make sure that he can be a Big Ten player.”

At 6-foot-1 and 204 pounds, he’s 16 pounds lighter than the Nittany Lions’ average linebacker. But there’s time to grow — and Franklin’s high school coach was quick to reiterate his star pupil’s versatility and the fact he doesn’t mind doing what’s best for the team.

As Franklin attended camps and wowed colleges between his junior and senior seasons, he often heard whispers of how colleges wanted to see him at linebacker. After all, there just isn’t a recruiting market for 200-pound defensive tackles. So Franklin turned to his coach one day and asked, “What do you think about me playing linebacker my senior season?” Van Acker told him that was an option — but it would be best for the team if he stayed at nose guard.

So Franklin stayed at nose guard. He never asked again. The soft-spoken Texan — who once sported a weighted vest to make practice even harder — didn’t need more scholarship offers. He didn’t need more recruiting attention. And he felt he didn’t need to attend different showcases and recruiting camps separate from certain schools.

He wanted schools to take him as he was. And Penn State was only too happy to oblige.

“He’s just a phenomenal athlete,” Bicknell said. “It’s going to be really exciting to see what he can do to his physical stature and just how much bigger he can get.”

Said Van Acker: “If he puts his mind to it and he works hard in the weight room and goes out on the field and shows up every day, he can be a future first-round draft pick.”
He's been my sleeper in the '17 class since I watched video of him playing NG. He was just so quick and outplayed much bigger OL. Plus, mixing it up at the line of scrimmage should serve him well, making him tougher and forcing him to learn how to use his hands. He may be one of the safety turned OLB we see a lot of with kids his size and with his athletic skills.

He's been my sleeper in the '17 class since I watched video of him playing NG. He was just so quick and outplayed much bigger OL. Plus, mixing it up at the line of scrimmage should serve him well, making him tougher and forcing him to learn how to use his hands. He may be one of the safety turned OLB we see a lot of with kids his size and with his athletic skills.
Last year when Brown ( I think) was forced prematurely into the LB slots due to injuries, I really felt afraid he'd be injured. Hell, I think he only weighed 195+. He looked awfully undersized, but I understand reading some of the boards messages the past few months that Brown is becoming a force this year.

Reactions: artsandletters
Last year when Brown ( I think) was forced prematurely into the LB slots due to injuries, I really felt afraid he'd be injured. Hell, I think he only weighed 195+. He looked awfully undersized, but I understand reading some of the boards messages the past few months that Brown is becoming a force this year.
I think so and I don't think he was afraid of contact, but more so didn't trust his instincts. I think it was the Iowa game where he leveled someone on a KO return....so I think the physical part will be more evident as he matures both physically and mentally.

ADVERTISEMENT