ADVERTISEMENT

2018-2019 English Premier League thread

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
Might as well try to do it this way.

Eighteen minutes into Chelsea-Arsenal, 1-0 and Chelsea having its way with the Gunners. It's gonna be a long season for Arsenal fans. (Yes, including me.)

Reactions: TheGLOV
Might as well try to do it this way.

Eighteen minutes into Chelsea-Arsenal, 1-0 and Chelsea having its way with the Gunners. It's gonna be a long season for Arsenal fans. (Yes, including me.)

While I am not a rabid soccer fan, I do like to watch Premier league and squeeze in a nap. I like Chelsea and Tottenham - I think its because they both are blue & white - colors that are etched in my bones and soul. I refuse to root for any team that wear’s red (or form thereof; see scarlett, crimson, etc)

While I am not a rabid soccer fan, I do like to watch Premier league and squeeze in a nap. I like Chelsea and Tottenham - I think its because they both are blue & white - colors that are etched in my bones and soul. I refuse to root for any team that wear’s red (or form thereof; see scarlett, crimson, etc)
That's not too shabby a philosophy to live by. I've seen plenty which are worse.

3-2 Chelsea. Good match. If Arsenal had a half-decent finisher maybe it'd have been different today. (Arsenal was outclassed by Manchester City last week, never had a chance.)

What was the name of the guy with the great run through the heart of the defense which lead to the great pass which Kane put in the net?
Erik Lamela. He came back last year after being out for over a year with a hip injury. Spurs without Son till middle September as he is playing in Asian Games. If S. Korea wins he doesn’t have to do military service.

Reactions: LionJim

Soccer = Sommonex!

It helps you get the Zzzzzzzzz's you need!!

Soccer = Sommonex!

It helps you get the Zzzzzzzzz's you need!!
You’re a Liverpool fan who thinks soccer is boring? Okay. Good to know. It actually confirms a theory of mine because I had noticed that you never once commented on any World Cup match other when some Liverpool player played well. As a result, I got to wondering whether or not you actually watched soccer. Thanks for confirming that you don’t, that you’re just a fanboy not to be taken seriously. Fits you like a glove.

You’re a Liverpool fan who thinks soccer is boring? Okay. Good to know. It actually confirms a theory of mine because I had noticed that you never once commented on any World Cup match other when some Liverpool player played well. As a result, I got to wondering whether or not you actually watched soccer. Thanks for confirming that you don’t, that you’re just a fanboy not to be taken seriously. Fits you like a glove.

Well, one poster figured it out years ago that I only post that Sommonex quote to generate controversy and thereby increase discussion in {football}.

And they complimented me on it.

Too bad you're not that smart and didn't figure it out sir.

Liverpool is going to feed your team its' lunch far down its' throat!!

Be afraid. Be very afraid royboy!!

And no (e) on the end dear sir.

They are the only team which might be able to lose their top player and not have too much of a drop off. Bringing in Mahrez was great business for them.
Players like Kevin DeBryne don’t grow on trees. His loss will be felt and there is always risk in trying to plug big stars into this kind of squad. See Man Utd and Chelsea in years past.

Players like Kevin DeBryne don’t grow on trees. His loss will be felt and there is always risk in trying to plug big stars into this kind of squad. See Man Utd and Chelsea in years past.

I get that, but they have Gundogan, Silva, Bernardo Silva and Delph who can all play MF in Pep’s system and they have Mahrez, Jesus, Aguerro and Sterling up top. They are loaded. I think it will slow them down a bit, but they are still good enough to win the league.

Happy with Spurs start, but the issues with the new stadium are annoying. The NFL apparently had to move the game scheduled for White Hart Lane to Wembley. I don’t know how they blow the opening date this bad. Spurs were selling packages to London for the first game all summer, and now it won’t even be open for that game...

I get that, but they have Gundogan, Silva, Bernardo Silva and Delph who can all play MF in Pep’s system and they have Mahrez, Jesus, Aguerro and Sterling up top. They are loaded. I think it will slow them down a bit, but they are still good enough to win the league.
They’re definitely good enough to win the league...they’ve spent more in the past few seasons than any club in history...but their margin is slimmer without DeBryne.

Frankly, Pep should be canned if they don’t win the league with that squad.

Happy with Spurs start, but the issues with the new stadium are annoying. The NFL apparently had to move the game scheduled for White Hart Lane to Wembley. I don’t know how they blow the opening date this bad. Spurs were selling packages to London for the first game all summer, and now it won’t even be open for that game...
It’s predictable. They self-funded the new pitch, so it was always going to be tighter on budget and risk running long.

Disappointed that the new WHL won't be ready for the trip I planned. Will be there for Liverpool game regardless and I've never been to Wembley anyway. I leave the day after the Pitt game and will be back the Friday of the Illinois game, so I only miss lowly Kent State. Enjoy seeing Woolwich and Wet Spam at the bottom of the table!

Last edited:
Disappointed that the new WHL won't be ready for the trip I planned. Will be there for Liverpool game regardless and I've never been to Wembley anyway. I leave the day after the Pitt game and will be back the Friday of the Illinois game, so I only miss lowly Akron. Enjoy seeing Woolwich and Wet Spam at the bottom of the table!
I’m jealous!

Disappointed that the new WHL won't be ready for the trip I planned. Will be there for Liverpool game regardless and I've never been to Wembley anyway. I leave the day after the Pitt game and will be back the Friday of the Illinois game, so I only miss lowly Akron. Enjoy seeing Woolwich and Wet Spam at the bottom of the table!

Don't forget to wear RED Liverpool colours mainer!

As iI mentioned in this string, not too into soccer, but I just bing watched “All or Nothing: Manchester City” - it was AWESOME! Whether you like soccer or Man City at all, it is an incredible view into the Premier League. So interesting, insprliring! I liked their players and the family feel. Felt like a very healthy locker room. A football club of ne’er do wells turning for the good - a nice underdog feel/story.

Reactions: LionJim
As iI mentioned in this string, not too into soccer, but I just bing watched “All or Nothing: Manchester City” - it was AWESOME! Whether you like soccer or Man City at all, it is an incredible view into the Premier League. So interesting, insprliring! I liked their players and the family feel. Felt like a very healthy locker room. A football club of ne’er do wells turning for the good - a nice underdog feel/story.
Then take the opportunity to watch MC play when they're on, catch, say, twenty of their 38 games. They're a hugely entertaining team; every team has some really skilled players but when you're watching the best teams then you see some really good stuff. That would be a pretty cool introduction to soccer. And the games are always done in two hours.

Then take the opportunity to watch MC play when they're on, catch, say, twenty of their 38 games. They're a hugely entertaining team; every team has some really skilled players but when you're watching the best teams then you see some really good stuff. That would be a pretty cool introduction to soccer. And the games are always done in two hours.

Watching this documentary was fascinating - how aggressive Man City plays, how good they are on attacking and passing. It truly was impressive how skilled they are. Love De Bruyne and Kompany.

Reminds me of the Penn State wrestlers - get along so well, always ‘going for it,’ aggressive style (vs say Tom Brands’s teams who always wrestler so defensively; “park the bus”).

Don't forget to wear RED Liverpool colours mainer!
The real colour to wear for Liverpoop!
41h%2BBiKyr9L._SY355_.jpg

Reactions: rudedude
Utd have issues right now. Mou is clearly going nuclear on every last bridge he has remaining at Carrington. I’ll be surprised if he’s still managing them at Christmas.

“Park the bus, park the bus, Man United...”.

“Park the bus, park the bus, Man United...”.
It’s Mourinho. It’s not at all the Man Utd way under SAF. Enough talent is there for them to at least give Citeh a run. They’d have to spend another £300 million to even up the overall talent level, but you can only play 11 at once.

Glov, I give you credit for your die-hard Dipper fandom. You may have to wait another 29 years for that elusive Prem title.

Oh stop!

We're like the old NFL League Champions!!

Never won a Super Bowl yet but boy back in the day, we ruled the roost and were the standard measure of success that all other teams tried to emulate.

:);););):)

Mourinho is being paid for what he used to be able to do instead of what he is doing now. The game has passed him by and he doesn’t realize it. He revolutionized the physical aspect of the game at the turn of the century. His periodization methods made his players physically able to dominate games. They could play his defensive style and still dominate games with their work rate.

Every top team in the world has copied his ideas and apply them and now understand that a team who dominates possession will create more scoring opportunities. They have applied sports analytics to the game and understand that the traditional value placed on centerbacks and GKs has been way too low. Klopp figured this out in the last two years. You can see it in his purchases.

Meanwhile Bailly looks like he doesn’t even understand the game of soccer when under pressure. Lindelof could be an excellent CB when paired with someone who has a tactical clue. When Leicester offered Harry Maguire for £75 million Mourinho should have immediately made the purchase. My prediction is Mourinho is gone by the New Year and Zidane is manager by next season.

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
Mourinho is being paid for what he used to be able to do instead of what he is doing now. The game has passed him by and he doesn’t realize it. He revolutionized the physical aspect of the game at the turn of the century. His periodization methods made his players physically able to dominate games. They could play his defensive style and still dominate games with their work rate.

Every top team in the world has copied his ideas and apply them and now understand that a team who dominates possession will create more scoring opportunities. They have applied sports analytics to the game and understand that the traditional value placed on centerbacks and GKs has been way too low. Klopp figured this out in the last two years. You can see it in his purchases.

Meanwhile Bailly looks like he doesn’t even understand the game of soccer when under pressure. Lindelof could be an excellent CB when paired with someone who has a tactical clue. When Leicester offered Harry Maguire for £75 million Mourinho should have immediately made the purchase. My prediction is Mourinho is gone by the New Year and Zidane is manager by next season.
Well, they can do a lot worse than Zidane. He’ll command respect among top players and has won on the biggest stage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT