ADVERTISEMENT

2 stating LBers opt out. Project the bowl LBers

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Does Luketa, get moved back to MLB or does Tyler Elsdon get the start in Brooks absence? Still have 1 starter, Curtis Jacobs. Does young Mr King (freshman) start at the other outside LBer position?
I would prefer to see Luketa remain @ DE. He is much more effective there.

What say you?

Does Luketa, get moved back to MLB or does Tyler Elsdon get the start in Brooks absence? Still have 1 starter, Curtis Jacobs. Does young Mr King (freshman) start at the other outside LBer position?
I would prefer to see Luketa remain @ DE. He is much more effective there.

What say you?
Not sure Luketa will be around. Has he said anything?

THIS is what the bowels (intended ref) have become. A total sheissshow. I looked forward to watching these games when I was young... that's a long fing time ago in a place long forgotten.

The only thing of value you can take from these games is that some young kids will get much needed PT, but the person who wrote last week that THIS is the start of the NEXT season, not the end of this one... is correct.

We are head to head with arkansas on several players who are slated to come here... winning might help keep them here. Yeah, losing might not matter, but i'd rather not chance losing even 1 guy.

But hey, i'm old. I actually think people on PAID scholies should finish what they started. I'm seeing a Kentucky re-do.

Gone are the Paterno days where we ALWAYS showed up for our bowl games. Franklin will be flying around in his helicopter with your tuition dollars hanging out of his ass. We will lose. Book it.

Reactions: jbenedict
THIS is what the bowels (intended ref) have become. A total sheissshow. I looked forward to watching these games when I was young... that's a long fing time ago in a place long forgotten.

The only thing of value you can take from these games is that some young kids will get much needed PT, but the person who wrote last week that THIS is the start of the NEXT season, not the end of this one... is correct.

We are head to head with arkansas on several players who are slated to come here... winning might help keep them here. Yeah, losing might not matter, but i'd rather not chance losing even 1 guy.

But hey, i'm old. I actually think people on PAID scholies should finish what they started. I'm seeing a Kentucky re-do.
Yeah, for all of the hand wringing over the years about a playoff killing the bowls, they certainly have contributed to it. If it weren’t for the fact that sports networks were so desperate for content they throw money at bowls, there would be about 1/3 fewer of them.

Gone are the Paterno days where we ALWAYS showed up for our bowl games. Franklin will be flying around in his helicopter with your tuition dollars hanging out of his ass. We will lose. Book it.
Seriously? I am not here to talk bad about Joe or even put Franklin in his category, but kids opting out is not just a PSU thing. We also act like Joe was lighting it up the last 10-15 years...he wasn't.

I mean PSU has won two NY 6 bowls with Franklin and put up one hell of a showing in the Rose. He's far from a great coach, but we could be worse off (see other programs that are complete dumpster fires - FSU, Texas, Nebraska, USC)

The game, and landscape, of college football has changed since the Paterno days - isn't Franklin's fault. Agree you wouldn't catch JVP dead in a helicopter. No way in heLL he'd have ever trusted that new fangled technology - good Ole horse and buggy for him. 😉

If this is the type of environment Franklin is going to foster and the type of player he is going to recruit he should be fired for cause right now. He is a high end grifter and should be shown the door.
giphy.gif

How can people click on a thread and not answer the question posed by the OP first before going off about Franklin? It took exactly 5 posts before someone brought up Paterno. He is dead folks, had been for 10 years. So nobody actually knows how he would have run his program in these days.

kind and buddin would be the first line starters. But they each play one more game the redshirts are gone. So it is going to depend on what the staff thinks of their futures.
It will be a mix of Elsdon, Katshir, Buddin, and King.

How can people click on a thread and not answer the question posed by the OP first before going off about Franklin? It took exactly 5 posts before someone brought up Paterno. He is dead folks, had been for 10 years. So nobody actually knows how he would have run his program in these days.

kind and buddin would be the first line starters. But they each play one more game the redshirts are gone. So it is going to depend on what the staff thinks of their futures.
I think they move Sutherland up also - I think he has played a bit at LB - perhaps the Rutgers game when everyone was experiencing the flu and could not play/finish the game.

Aside from your completely erroneous belief on how Franklin's salary is budgeted, you should be aware that the first guy of any note to "sit out" a bowl game was Christian McAffery, who sat out the Sun Bowl after the 2016 season- which was four years after Joe died - so.....there was no one who sat out a bowl game during Joe's tenure. So...of course "we" always showed up.

Seriously - post first, smoke crack later. Not the other way around.

Last edited:

Thank you. One of the few on topic responses.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Aside from your completely erroneous belief on how Franklin's salary is budgeted, you should be aware that the first guy of any note to "sit out" a bowl game was Christian McAffery, who sat out the Sun Bowl after the 2016 season- which was four years after Joe died - so.....there was no one who sat out a bowl game during Joe's tenure. So...of course "we" always showed up.

Seriously - post first, smoke crack later. Not the other way around.
so thats what I'm doing wrong..... sage advice grasshopper

Reactions: psuro
Hope we see King and Elsdon in the middle with Katshir and Buddin on the outside as Luketa will be needed at DE as I assume AE is not playing.

Reactions: bison13
Hope we see King and Elsdon in the middle with Katshir and Buddin on the outside as Luketa will be needed at DE as I assume AE is not playing.
Agree about Luketa @ DE. Needs to stay there. Don't forget Curtis Jacob's who is the lone remaing starter is playing. I say go with Elsdon in the Middle and King on the outside opposite Jacob's to start. Too bad to burn some redshirts, but it seems necessary.

Agree about Luketa @ DE. Needs to stay there. Don't forget Curtis Jacob's who is the lone remaing starter is playing. I say go with Elsdon in the Middle and King on the outside opposite Jacob's to start. Too bad to burn some redshirts, but it seems necessary.
JMO but I don't think redshirts matter much anymore, well only on the OL and maybe DL.
Most of these guys aren't staying after 3 years anyway, if they are good and if they aren't they will probably hit the portal anyway.
Its one of the reasons I thought it was dumb to Redshirt C. Holmes. especially since we needed some speed in the backfield.

JMO but I don't think redshirts matter much anymore, well only on the OL and maybe DL.
Most of these guys aren't staying after 3 years anyway, if they are good and if they aren't they will probably hit the portal anyway.
Its one of the reasons I thought it was dumb to Redshirt C. Holmes. especially since we needed some speed in the backfield.
I wondered about the Holmes redshirt.

If this is the type of environment Franklin is going to foster and the type of player he is going to recruit he should be fired for cause right now. He is a high end grifter and should be shown the door.
What are your qualifications Wallace? We would all love to know.

I'm sure you have a very important career where you hire and fire people at the drop of a hat.

The significance of earning a bowl game has shifted a bit IMO. Other than a reward and additional practiit is now used to evaluate your current year backups due to the number of players who opt out. Case in point….PSU LB depth. The coaching staff will get a good look at next years projected starting players and how they handle themselves in a game situation, how well they understand the playbook and assess strengths and weaknesses.

I think they move Sutherland up also - I think he has played a bit at LB - perhaps the Rutgers game when everyone was experiencing the flu and could not play/finish the game.
If the staff feels confident in Sutherland playing a large role at LB, which would almost certainly be at Sam, we may see Jacobs slide to the Mike or Will to get him ready to play there as the starter in 2022. PSU has a long history of moving the most experienced, best LB, to Will and it would not surprise me to see Jacobs at Will in 2022. Elsdon and King could compete for playing time at Mike, and Buddin and possibly one of the current Safety's could compete at Sam.

The wild card for the game is Katshir, who the staff may feel is good enough and experienced enough to play Will in this bowl game.

Anyone think Ellis can grow in to a LB? I know it goes against my stop moving people around so much thought, but I have always been impressed with the size he has been able to put on.

This is also my plug for still wanting Isheem Young:)

Reactions: brupsu
The significance of earning a bowl game has shifted a bit IMO. Other than a reward and additional practiit is now used to evaluate your current year backups due to the number of players who opt out. Case in point….PSU LB depth. The coaching staff will get a good look at next years projected starting players and how they handle themselves in a game situation, how well they understand the playbook and assess strengths and weaknesses.
Will probably help them clarify the need for portal LBer(s)

Anyone think Ellis can grow in to a LB? I know it goes against my stop moving people around so much thought, but I have always been impressed with the size he has been able to put on.

Have you seen anything on who is pursuing Isheem Young?

No. 5’11 190 has a lot of growing to do. I’m tired of hoping guys grow into a position which is what a lot of the recruits seem to be.

No. 5’11 190 has a lot of growing to do. I’m tired of hoping guys grow into a position which is what a lot of the recruits seem to be.
Dang, I thought he was bigger than that. I honestly just was guessing like 6'1''-6'2''

Reactions: psualt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT