ADVERTISEMENT

1982 #2 Nebraska vs. #7 PSU! I was there! Were you? I was part of the throng

I was there in either section EF or ED depending on when the students were moved from EF to ED.
Honestly, I think my bigger thrill involved listening via my 7-transistor pocket radio to an away game in 1964. That also involved moving to Old Main, radio in hand, and then down to College Ave where a certain VW caught bug someone's eye :)

Pi Kappa Phi... 409 East Fairmount...Though I heard we recently lost our Chapter for disciplinary reasons for the next 3 years...Something about serving beer at Rush Party's... Crazy... Serving beer at the Fraternity... Who would have thought?
er
Early memories of course living in West Halls ( Hamilton) across from Skeeter Nichols... Jonathan Williams... Bill Dugan ( that was a crazy dude... Went on to play for the Seahawks) , Brian Franco ( 5 field goals against Nebraska in Lincoln and eventually became my roommate) , a few others.

That Nebraska game though was easily in my top three along with beating Miami in Fiesta of course and years later Ohio State in State College.

I did join the group carrying the post to Old Main... Crazy thing is... I'm not sure that was the plan... Crowd just sort of celebrated.

Again though... Joe was pissed the next day... Made some comments about students being civilized...

And that's when they started getting more strict about fans and game conduct... Rushing the field etc.

Last note... The Fraternity Tailgates back then really were legendary... Pledges of course would arrive early... Pick the location... Set up flag etc.

Certainly not the restrictions you have today ... Times have changed obviously.

Alpha Chi Sigma here sir. 406 South Pugh Street.

Our chapter is in quozi status for several years now. National put the hammer down. Might get it back.

Reactions: baircub1!
I was there. Sat right around the 5 yard line on the south endzone. Witnessed, up front, the winning TD. Also the game when my 48-14 button went on sale broad scale. Sold over a thousand buttons that day alone by myself.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I was there. Sat right around the 5 yard line on the south endzone. Witnessed, up front, the winning TD. Also the game when my 48-14 button went on sale broad scale. Sold over a thousand buttons that day alone by myself.

Was the catch just prior to the TD... Good? Was he inbounds?

I was there, on the field. The touchdown catch was about 7 yards directly in front of me. If you watch the replay of the game, sometime around the middle of the second quarter, the ABC cameraman films through my megaphone and it was used as the fill between plays.

Asked McCloskey in 95 when I met him and he didn't even let me finish the question when he said " I was out by this much" while holding his hands about a foot apart.
That being said, the one angle does seem to show him dragging his back foot in bounds:) The other angle definitely looks like he is out.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Also the Super Dome had this beer that was almost as big as a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. We would buy them and pass them around. It was insane!

Did it look similar to this?
143893.jpg

They have these bad boys in a bar on Bourbon Street. The 'Belmont' in what I like to call the Bourbon Street Triple Crown.

I was too young to attend this game but vaguely remember watching it on TV and having my parents tell me about it the next day (I was already in bed when they got home from the game). When I finally found this video on YouTube about 6-7 months ago, I was all fired up to see it. This game and the Alabama game the next year (one I was actually at) were two of the 'lost jewels' of Beaver Stadium games that I needed to see show up on YouTube.

we used to park right next to the stadium on the north end- it was still first come, first served then- we had a van and carried a half keg, full size gas grill and loads of food, had tickets in EJ and that's where I watched the game from. I went down on the field- only time in my life I ever did- it was lucky no one got trampled on the way out of the south endzone, it was that nuts

Always thought his foot was in, but body was way out. there is a video above, but couldn't really tell. He was running right at where I was sitting in the stands.

By the way, I'll happily fill your kids in some stories......

I was at JFK Stadium that same day seeing The WHO, Santana, The Clash and the Hooters. However, I did teach McCloskey's kids in grade school. Great family!
I turned down tickets to see what was supposed to be the WHO'S farewell tour at JFK. Opted for the game instead and helped carry the goal post down to Old Main. What a great senior year.

I was there ... great game. Took my brother-in-law, whose sister was a freshman. Drove up from Pittsburgh the morning of the game, got into a traffic snarl on the Parkway and decided to get into the cooler a bit early while sitting in traffic.

When we pulled into the parking lot, someone in one of the cars behind us come over and told us they counted all the brews we drank from the traffic snarl to Beaver Stadium.

Fantastic setting and what I really remember about afterward was being in the parking lot and a couple of Nebraska fans coming up to us and congratulating on the win. Gracious, those Husker fans are.

I was there also with my fraternity brothers baircub1. What frat are you a member of sir?

I bet many a poster here did not know that TheGLOV was Greek!

:):):):)
Phi Sig here....and I had to be right next to you hanging from that goalpost.
We actually ended up with one of the uprights in our house..thanks to having many SC High grads (including #54 Dick Maginnis) in the house who knew some of the cops and let them pass going thru town. We cut it into smaller portions for souvenirs.
I got a kick out of 2014 Alumni Fellow winner, Ed Auslander mentioning this is his award write up...

Last edited:
Phi Sig here....and I had to be right next to you hanging from that goalpost.
We actually ended up with one of the uprights in our house..thanks to having many SC High grads (including #54 Dick Maginnis) in the house who knew some of the cops and let them pass going thru town. We cut it into smaller portions for souvenirs.
I got a kick out of 2014 Alumni Fellow winner, Ed Auslander mentioning this is his award write up...

Indeed sir!

It is entirely possible.

Good times for sure!!!

The sideline catch was on the other side of the field from where I was sitting. Not to say I didn't view 300 replays over the next weeks and months. Catch all the way. Long arms and a giant stride with foot dragging.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT