ADVERTISEMENT

125 this season

Yes, the issue is FLO for me.

I have no argument against just reshuffling everything at this point and going by this entire seasons resume, which is what they've done and you can legitimately argue Drake as the #1.

But FLO changes methodology on a whim - here dropping Ramos without losing, Crookham, many other examples of inconsistencies in the past - yet, always argue that there is a methodology to their rankings.

There isn't. I've argued this in the past with FLO guys - on this board , in fact. They are biased rankers prone to a "hot take," which fits the FLO business model to a T.
Methodology? Ha!
iu
This is how Flo chooses rankings

Flo's predicting Davis over DeAugustino by decision tomorrow:

125: #14 Braeden Davis, Penn State vs #17 Michael DeAugustino, Michigan​

True freshman Braeden Davis has taken control of the 125-pound starting spot for Penn State and looks to be an All-American threat this season. Davis is 10-0 on the year with ranked wins over #15 Brandon Kaylor and #32 Ethan Berginc. Davis’ match against Kaylor was especially impressive considering won the takedown battle 3-1 against the 2021 All-American and was leading 11-3 until Kaylor secured a late takedown.

DeAugustino placed 4th at 125 back in 2022 and might be the biggest test Davis has faced this year. DeAugustino went down at the CKLV with an injury but looked to be back to full strength last weekend when he recorded two straight victories over Tommy Capul (Maryland) and Tristan Lujan (Michigan State).

This match feels like a preview of a potential quarterfinal or round of 12 match we could see at the NCAA Tournament. I expect this to be a tightly contested bout and I’m giving Davis a slight edge over DeAugustino. Davis has been able to convert his shots to takedowns at a high rate and has been proficient in both the top and bottom positions. I’m predicting Davis to carry his momentum into Friday night and defeat DeAugustino in a close decision.

Prediction: Davis by decision

Last edited:
Flo's predicting Davis over DeAugustino by decision tomorrow:

125: #14 Braeden Davis, Penn State vs #17 Michael DeAugustino, Michigan​

True freshman Braeden Davis has taken control of the 125-pound starting spot for Penn State and looks to be an All-American threat this season. Davis is 10-0 on the year with ranked wins over #15 Brandon Kaylor and #32 Ethan Berginc. Davis’ match against Kaylor was especially impressive considering won the takedown battle 3-1 against the 2021 All-American and was leading 11-3 until Kaylor secured a late takedown.

DeAugustino placed 4th at 125 back in 2022 and might be the biggest test Davis has faced this year. DeAugustino went down at the CKLV with an injury but looked to be back to full strength last weekend when he recorded two straight victories over Tommy Capul (Maryland) and Tristan Lujan (Michigan State).

This match feels like a preview of a potential quarterfinal or round of 12 match we could see at the NCAA Tournament. I expect this to be a tightly contested bout and I’m giving Davis a slight edge over DeAugustino. Davis has been able to convert his shots to takedowns at a high rate and has been proficient in both the top and bottom positions. I’m predicting Davis to carry his momentum into Friday night and defeat DeAugustino in a close decision.
We're doomed.

Reactions: hlstone
Matt Ramos who also got beat by a high school junior and is 15-3 will go from second to 1st in the rankings.

Meanwhile Braden Davis is undefeated at 125 and just beat the number 5 guy in the country. Not saying I want him at number one but Duh!!! What else to do.

BTW. Mitch up to number 3

It will be interesting if FLO sticks to the rationale - or lack of it - they put forward last week when they dropped the bottom out of the Ramos and Noto rankings after Ayala and Smith's losses - particularly Smith.

I mean if they stick with it Davis should be soaring to top 3 at a minimum with 2 wins over AAs and undefeated.

Personally, I don't think he's earned that, feeling he should be more of a 8 to 10 right now. The top guys in my eyes are Noto, Ramos, Barnett, Ayala, and Surtin. After that Davis belongs in the next group with guys like Volk and the like I think if you polled a bunch of guys that pay attention to NCAA wrestling that would be pretty close to consensus - it really isn't THAT crazy, there is a top group, it's just that they're not good enough to not take the odd loss here and there.

Impossible for FLO to come up with that based on what they've been doing so far though. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with and see what kind of BS rationale they throw out there.

It will be interesting if FLO sticks to the rationale - or lack of it - they put forward last week when they dropped the bottom out of the Ramos and Noto rankings after Ayala and Smith's losses - particularly Smith.

I mean if they stick with it Davis should be soaring to top 3 at a minimum with 2 wins over AAs and undefeated.

Personally, I don't think he's earned that, feeling he should be more of a 8 to 10 right now. The top guys in my eyes are Noto, Ramos, Barnett, Ayala, and Surtin. After that Davis belongs in the next group with guys like Volk and the like I think if you polled a bunch of guys that pay attention to NCAA wrestling that would be pretty close to consensus - it really isn't THAT crazy, there is a top group, it's just that they're not good enough to not take the odd loss here and there.

Impossible for FLO to come up with that based on what they've been doing so far though. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with and see what kind of BS rationale they throw out there.
Let's hope they don't stick with it then. I don't want Davis as a top 3 with a target on his back,yet.

Flo Hot Take Rankings for the week of ________.

Where do you put RIchie Figs in that?

Reactions: backdrft76

Flo had DeAugustino 17th, three spots behind Davis. I don’t think he moves up a bunch for winning a match their rankings said he should win.

Flo had DeAugustino 17th, three spots behind Davis. I don’t think he moves up a bunch for winning a match their rankings said he should win.
Ramos moved from #2 to #9 last week without losing.

This may be a first in the complete history of rankings including PA Wrestling Words pfp Top 75 8u rankings.

Note: Although the rankings I cited may seem a hyperbolic comedic device, they are, in fact, real. Reality is stranger than fiction at times.

Last edited:
Flo Hot Take Rankings for the week of ________.

Where do you put RIchie Figs in that?
That was in my thoughts when I was posting as well.

They can't really put Richie Figs back up there after returning to action with two unranked wins to go with all of the other unranked wins he has this year, can they?

I'm sure JD will want to though. Another guess might be keeping Ayala at #1 despite the loss, because of...maybe, total points scored plus trajectory analysis with a dash of coaching factor thrown in.

Not sure why Ayala is in a different group than Davis right now.

Maybe he’s getting the Sebolt bump

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Let's just acknowledge there is no more Spencer at 125. We all knew this to start the season and it's most likely the ultimate champ will have not only 1 loss but several.

My #1 guy was and has been Noto and a loss or two doesn't change my thinking much. I think it's somewhat silly to simply see ranking services chase the kids with the best record without a very hard look at strength of wins and loses.

I wouldn't put Davis higher than 5-7 right now and will be elated to see him climb further, but he has to take out some hardened top dogs first.

Having 6 or more #1s in the last 6 weeks or so makes Flo and others look like they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Just how many good wins so far. Their best wins have been comparable, but Ayala has more of them, and has beaten more NQ types.
Agreed.

Davis moved himself up a level this weekend with the win over Daugustino and the fairly dominant win over Lujan. That's pretty consistent with what Ayala is doing but Ayala has been doing it much longer than the last month. So have the other guys I mentioned. Maybe not Surtin, on second thought I'd take Surtin out of that group

Davis will get the opportunity to get in that group over the next few weeks even if he takes a loss or two. He's also going to have to deal with guys starting to game plan for him now that he's on their radar. But so far, so good.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Let's just acknowledge there is no more Spencer at 125. We all knew this to start the season and it's most likely the ultimate champ will have not only 1 loss but several.

My #1 guy was and has been Noto and a loss or two doesn't change my thinking much. I think it's somewhat silly to simply see ranking services chase the kids with the best record without a very hard look at strength of wins and loses.

I wouldn't put Davis higher than 5-7 right now and will be elated to see him climb further, but he has to take out some hardened top dogs first.

Having 6 or more #1s in the last 6 weeks or so makes Flo and others look like they don't know what the hell they are talking about.
Or maybe Spencer's "reign" was a result of a really weak weightclass after Suriano moved up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT