ADVERTISEMENT

125 this season

To me this would mean having the tough discussion with Robbie? Anyone else have a better take on this?
I didn’t consider that. Thank you. Yes - discussions with Robbie and Gary.

Until you posted this, I was wondering if it meant Davis wanted to redshirt.

Reactions: danoftw
Davis has looked great & with Lilledahl coming in & looking like he'll be ready to go as a true freshman, Robbie might have missed his window of opportunity.
Lilledahl has been up at 132. If he’s growing, he may come in and RS next year then take 141 when Beau leaves.

To me this would mean having the tough discussion with Robbie? Anyone else have a better take on this?
Burning a redshirt is always a tough decision because if something unforeseen goes wrong it was a "waste" of a year. Last year they seemed very tenative about pulling Levi's and he won B10s and took 2nd. I bet Davis will be the guy unless he loses to someone he shouldn't

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Burning a redshirt is always a tough decision because if something unforeseen goes wrong it was a "waste" of a year. Last year they seemed very tenative about pulling Levi's and he won B10s and took 2nd. I bet Davis will be the guy unless he loses to someone he shouldn't
Today was Davis' last free competition date. Next one means he's officially not shirting.

At this point, there's nobody Davis can lose to, that would cause him to get benched. He's clearly the best option this year. Barring injury, the job is his.

I apologize for my mistake and should have known better than to re-post information without confirming the details, but the 125 from American who lost this weekend was not their starter. My apologies . . .

The original information was from a post on GIA. I tried to copy and paste it, but was having difficulty, so I just passed along the [erroneous] information in my own words. If someone would let me know the procedure to post from a thread I would appreciate it. Thanks!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/26BGIqWh2R1fi6JDa" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Now it looks like they will be forced to rank him #32 ;-)
Flo had Braeden ranked 15th last week. Intermat hasn't ranked him because they don't rank people that could be in potential redshirt. Once he steps on mat Friday, he will be ranked by Intermat..

As for Kasak..Flo had him ranked 17 last week. He has only 4 events so far. If he wrestles both matches this weekend he will be ranked by Intermat as well.

Personally..I like that Intermat does that. If the coach doesn't come out and say who starter is, then you should wait until the events limit (5) for true freshmen is exceeded. For example..Flo has Gabe Arnold ranked 7th at 174 and doesn't have Kennedy ranked and it looks like Arnold will keep his redshirt in tact (in other words, Flo should have Kennedy ranked at 174 not Gabe)

Last edited:
Flo top 15 at 125 as of today

Rank Grade Name School Previous
1 SO Drake Ayala Iowa 9
2 FR Luke Stanich Lehigh 6
3 JR Noah Surtin Missouri 10
4 SO Jore Volk Wyoming 11
5 JR Caleb Smith Nebraska 5
6 SO Cooper Flynn Virginia Tech 8
7 SO Nico Provo Stanford 4
8 JR Matt Ramos Purdue 2
9 JR Anthony Noto Lock Haven 1
10 SR Eric Barnett Wisconsin 7
11 FR Troy Spratley OK State 18
12 SO Richard Figueroa Arizona State 12
13 SO Brett Ungar Cornell 14
14 FR Braeden Davis Penn State 15
15 SR Brandon Kaylor Oregon State 16

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
It’s wild to see the prior ranks. Just shows how crazy 125 is this year, even week to week. Ayala is rightfully #1 for the time being, but there are at least 20 guys who could win it in the end. I can’t ever remember a weight class this wide open.

Reactions: HikeNatParks
It’s wild to see the prior ranks. Just shows how crazy 125 is this year, even week to week. Ayala is rightfully #1 for the time being, but there are at least 20 guys who could win it in the end. I can’t ever remember a weight class this wide open.
No he's not. He's good, but Flo's methodology is basically a hat draw.

What this says is: Ayala moved 9 --> 1 for beating the 5 plus a guy outside the top 15 (McKee).

Meanwhile Ramos dropped 2 --> 8 for not losing since 12/1, including beating Peterson in his last match (on Sunday). Despite many of the guys now ranked above him having recent losses.

Flo may as well list the top 33 guys at 125 alphabetically, without a rank, for the next month.

What this says is: Ayala moved 9 --> 1 for beating the 5 plus a guy outside the top 15 (McKee).

Meanwhile Ramos dropped 2 --> 8 for not losing since 12/1, including beating Peterson in his last match (on Sunday). Despite many of the guys now ranked above him having recent losses.

Flo may as well list the top 33 guys at 125 alphabetically, without a rank, for the next month.
I say just draw the top 16 out of a hat every week, including seeding them at the NCAA tourney. It would at least be fun.

I mean, that’s a legitimate way to do it this year if you want, LOL. This weight has been nuts. Are you surprised to see a bunch of week-to-week movements that look kind of crazy?

I say just draw the top 16 out of a hat every week, including seeding them at the NCAA tourney. It would at least be fun.
They should put that hat under Pile's seat, so he lifts his leg with every pick. And then add his fart onto the audio.

Just like in his last PSU analysis video, except the fart wasn't added.

Reactions: danoftw
I mean, that’s a legitimate way to do it this year if you want, LOL. This weight has been nuts. Are you surprised to see a bunch of week-to-week movements that look kind of crazy?
Crazy? Not surprised.

Indefensible? I should be suprised, except Flo.

Flo had Braeden ranked 15th last week. Intermat hasn't ranked him because they don't rank people that could be in potential redshirt. Once he steps on mat Friday, he will be ranked by Intermat..

As for Kasak..Flo had him ranked 17 last week. He has only 4 events so far. If he wrestles both matches this weekend he will be ranked by Intermat as well.

Personally..I like that Intermat does that. If the coach doesn't come out and say who starter is, then you should wait until the events limit (5) for true freshmen is exceeded. For example..Flo has Gabe Arnold ranked 7th at 174 and doesn't have Kennedy ranked and it looks like Arnold will keep his redshirt in tact (in other words, Flo should have Kennedy ranked at 174 not Gabe)
That's good in theory, but Intermat ranked them both this week ahead of their 6th event. Davis is 14th and Kasak is 12th.

That's good in theory, but Intermat ranked them both this week ahead of their 6th event. Davis is 14th and Kasak is 12th.
Cody did insinuate that both would be the guys going forward in last weeks media..I'm wondering if that's why? Who knows..Intermat doesn't have Arnold ranked where Flo does.

What happened to Deaugustino who transferred to Michigan? probably Davis opponent friday

Yes, the issue is FLO for me.

I have no argument against just reshuffling everything at this point and going by this entire seasons resume, which is what they've done and you can legitimately argue Drake as the #1.

But FLO changes methodology on a whim - here dropping Ramos without losing, Crookham, many other examples of inconsistencies in the past - yet, always argue that there is a methodology to their rankings.

There isn't. I've argued this in the past with FLO guys - on this board , in fact. They are biased rankers prone to a "hot take," which fits the FLO business model to a T.

Yes, the issue is FLO for me.

I have no argument against just reshuffling everything at this point and going by this entire seasons resume, which is what they've done and you can legitimately argue Drake as the #1.

But FLO changes methodology on a whim - here dropping Ramos without losing, Crookham, many other examples of inconsistencies in the past - yet, always argue that there is a methodology to their rankings.

There isn't. I've argued this in the past with FLO guys - on this board , in fact. They are biased rankers prone to a "hot take," which fits the FLO business model to a T.
"Ranking by hot take" is the most accurate description possible. It"s how they conduct all of their "analyses," so why not the rankings too?

Therefore, Dice just dropped out of Flo's message board poster rankings. He didn't lose -- actually he scored big on 2 fronts (including Escape The Rock). And that's damaging to rankings.

"Ranking by hot take" is the most accurate description possible. It"s how they conduct all of their "analyses," so why not the rankings too?

Therefore, Dice just dropped out of Flo's message board poster rankings. He didn't lose -- actually he scored big on 2 fronts (including Escape The Rock). And that's damaging to rankings.
When Willie left, they lost their best contributor and their most valuable expert.

If Braeden beats DeAugustino this Friday and Lujan again Sunday. Imagine he shoots up to Top 5 on Intermat since DeAugustino is 5 there. However Flo thinks less of DeAugustino and has him behind Braeden already at 17.

None of this really matters though, Braeden's big test is obviously Ayala at Carver and after that, he'll be looking at Smith and Peterson. He'll have chances and I love the doubt he's receiving right now, much better than getting hype.

Reactions: pish69
If Braeden beats DeAugustino this Friday and Lujan again Sunday. Imagine he shoots up to Top 5 on Intermat since DeAugustino is 5 there. However Flo thinks less of DeAugustino and has him behind Braeden already at 17.

None of this really matters though, Braeden's big test is obviously Ayala at Carver and after that, he'll be looking at Smith and Peterson. He'll have chances and I love the doubt he's receiving right now, much better than getting hype.
Think of Ayala at Carver, the way you think of Mark Halls debut: As Cael said, Iowa is vital for us, because they show us what we need to work on.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Flo top 15 at 125 as of today

Rank Grade Name School Previous
1 SO Drake Ayala Iowa 9
2 FR Luke Stanich Lehigh 6
3 JR Noah Surtin Missouri 10
4 SO Jore Volk Wyoming 11
5 JR Caleb Smith Nebraska 5
6 SO Cooper Flynn Virginia Tech 8
7 SO Nico Provo Stanford 4
8 JR Matt Ramos Purdue 2
9 JR Anthony Noto Lock Haven 1
10 SR Eric Barnett Wisconsin 7
11 FR Troy Spratley OK State 18
12 SO Richard Figueroa Arizona State 12
13 SO Brett Ungar Cornell 14
14 FR Braeden Davis Penn State 15
15 SR Brandon Kaylor Oregon State 16

It's great to see a ranked Penn State 125. I'm assuming that's why you posted this... 🙂

I see flo ranking had a big long story about 125 lb rankings and guess what!not one mention of undefeated Davis!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT