ADVERTISEMENT

11/24/78

Morse Creek Lion

Dec 6, 2011
That is the date of the first time I ever was able to go to this place called "Happy Valley", the first time I ever set eyes on the home of my Lions, Beaver Stadium. As a 19 year old it was my very first chance to ever see the team I had grown up watching and loving and my first chance to see Joseph Vincent Paterno. 10-0, a big bowl waiting if we could only knock off the Pittsburgh Panthers. An amazing game, defenses making play after play. In the end a 17-10 victory. Can't explain the feeling I had as I soaked up being part of that atmosphere. As the Blue Band prepared to play a group of kids flooded the field, the announcer was going through the motions of asking people to stay off the field......My friend said "Come on, lets go" and we did. Over a railing and onto the field....even helped by a Security guard. While walking towards the end zone, sugar cubes landed and bounced on the field around us, seemed some folks thought the Sugar Bowl was where our team was headed. So we walked across the field and ultimately followed the torn down goal post out the tunnel. As we walked through the tunnel a locker room door opened and I get a glimpse of Coach Paterno surrounded by people and players, standing on something, light bulbs flashing and an ear to ear smile on his face. As quickly as the door opened it closed. The next day my friend took me on a walk towards downtown to show me around. As we were walking I hear this noise behind us and I turn around and look back and there he is, Coach Paterno walking hand in hand with his wife, walking toward a church. He was being greeted by students and others who were congratulating him. What an ending to an amazing weekend. Fast forward to today, several games attended now, have had the opportunity to meet Coach Paterno and also his son Jay, my 3rd child attending PSU and a lifetime of other memories created with my family all centered around this place called "Happy Valley". Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that it would end the way it has......so for now I will continue to keep an open mind, hope that sometime in the near future the entire truth will come out and the true culprits of this mess be identified and dealt with. But for today I want to say "Thank You".........."Thank You" to all of the players who have worn the Blue and White since that day in November in 1978, "Thank You" to a coach and his family for all they have given to so many, "Thank You" for this Grand Experiment and the fine young men and leaders it has created.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT