ADVERTISEMENT

Zain/Yanni

Hell's yeah I get to watch these elite champs brawl again! May the best man win. USA!

I love that you are pretending like you care that you get to see these two wrestle again. You want to see Zain lose and this is nothing more than schadenfreude for you. You came to this thread to post so you could be a part of it. The least you can do is just be honest about it.

Oh I totally agree with your point on the scoring errors. Happens all the time. But in any sport the competitors play to the situation, preserving leads or stepping on the gas, playing risky from behind or working to close a gap. You don’t have to be totally sold on how wrestlers react to a score but what Yianni pointed out in the match v Askren is they have a pretty good idea what the score is on their own and why they might argue a score is wrong.

We are so wound up in wanting our guy to win or our vitriol for Rob Koll that we forget we had an outcome changed by a challenge that shouldn’t have been allowed to happen by rule. Outcome.

The protest should have have been reviewed and taken care of right away and wrestled rather than forcing a wrestle off now only a few weeks before Worlds.
not stating any disdain for the wrestler or Cornel - simply stating that I disagree with the fact that wrestlers know the score - at all times.. Secondly, saying the timing of when to throw the brick (Pyles is hung on this) can be impacted by the scoreboard and ref's being in sync.

tell that to Mark Hall v Zahid this year (bogus 2) and the Taylor-Cox slippy slide fiasco where Cox blocked off for a near eternity with nothing called. That was a joke.

Cael and crew usually use their challenges judiciously and have a great win percentage accordingly. Meanwhile. Ryan uses them like a drunk sailor uses his Leave Pay

Taylor couldn't beat a severely injured cox, he didn't belong on the world team that year. He is a standout guy no doubt (obv considering he is a world champ) but he's still below the Burroughs, cox and dake tier

Its just insane that the 3 match officials were in total chaos, absolutely nobody knew the correct score, they let a “wrestling sequence” continue on for like a minute without ever attempting stop to figure things out, but it was was ruled against Zain because Cael waited an extra 5-seconds to throw the brick. WTF? Action should have been halted the moment the three officials knew they weren’t on the same page. Re-visiting a call months later is just so Russian-like. Horrible precedent. Floodgates Open.

This is a very strange reason to watch sports.

Meaning it’s left up to humans and not courts/reviews, etc. Hell I don’t like replays in sports but I’ve accepted them over time.

It’s like in baseball, should we have umpires? Just let a computer call balls and strikes? Make judgement calls?

Some may say they like all the technology, I enjoy the human element of sports. That’s what I meant by the comment.

And I especially hate the fact that a judge can affect an outcome 2 months after the fact

Upon a great night's sleep, I'm being more rational about this. I still don't mess with Cornell, but I'm not all-caps and cussing about it.

BOOOO. As our Heel correspondent, you double down! Don't get rational on us.

Cornell’s new recruiting slogan..

“Come to Cornell! If you lose, we sue!”

That's more like it!

-----------------
I actually agree with the decision. But this also should have happened many moons ago and Yianni/Zain wrestling again (and Zain subsequently getting injured) makes it an even bigger clusterf*n. Nearly impossible to hate Yianni, so I will generate my hostility towards hating Dake even more. Go Ringer.

I think that the rule is clear--and if our corner wanted to challenge the exposure, the brick should have been thrown earlier. I also think the first sequence of the match was scored wrong--but we didn't challenge it. Sports will always be imperfect, because humans are intrinsically involved. I'm with Pish--I don't like what video replay has done to all all sports either--or the false belief that some day, a rule set is going to be 100% objective and fair. If it gets to that point--it will no longer be sport. Sure--make improvements, but always understanding there will be tradeoffs, and perfection is never possible.

I'm also not surprised by the result--the legal system has different objectives and goals than any rules of competition would have. Totally different timetables too. I'm sure the dichotomy set up for the arbitrator was: Yianni's rights vs. some lesser-valued mumbo jumbo about settling things on the mat. I even think Koll was within his "rights" to pursue it this way. I just happen to think it was very cynical decision on his part--not unlike Dake's working of the system this cycle. I would have preferred the situation was handled on site at the RAC, or failing that, USA Wrestling issuing a mea culpa afterwards (but no change in the result).

I happen to believe there is a line you shouldn't cross when you're "doing everything in your power for your athlete" (FWIW, Cael keeping a qualifier out for Suriano is also over that line, IMO). It's a game. Play the game, win, lose, repeat. The primary reason for the game's existence (FUN!) is at odds with the legal system. To press and demand a different result through an external system is to strain and tarnish the competition you presumably love. It's a douche move.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082 and nlion91
Taylor couldn't beat a severely injured cox, he didn't belong on the world team that year. He is a standout guy no doubt (obv considering he is a world champ) but he's still below the Burroughs, cox and dake tier

It's interesting you would say the Taylor is not on the same tier as Cox and Dake. They all won their world championship the same year (2018) in Budapest. The three of them are literally on the exact same tier currently. They are all the reigning world champs at their weight.

Your bias was showing here.

I've forgotten--who did UWW say was 2018 wrestler of the year? Was it a 3-way tie between Dake, Cox, and Bronze Medal winner Burroughs? Did all those guys break a 3 time world/olympic champ to the point he couldn't make it to the locker room after?

Taylor has a losing record to all three and has I believe one win combined against the three compared to roughly 10 losses? you can say they are all world champs (they are) but that doesn't mean they are all equal, not even close. Taylor is incredible and I'm sad he wont be able to compete again. No hate in him coming from this direction at all.

Taylor has a losing record to all three and has I believe one win combined against the three compared to roughly 10 losses? you can say they are all world champs (they are) but that doesn't mean they are all equal, not even close. Taylor is incredible and I'm sad he wont be able to compete again. No hate in him coming from this direction at all.
Classic internet disagreement--wasn't aware we were debating lifetime achievement. :). I was thinking more along the lines of who was the best wrestler right now.

Cox is a bad style matchup for DT--I'm nervous for him in 2020, but I think he'll find a way. Cox has never dominated on the world stage the way Taylor has (though it seems like he's jumped levels, I'm excited to see him compete at Worlds this year). I'd take (an uninjured Taylor) vs JB today in a heartbeat. Dake is another matchup issue--not as confident.

Reactions: Sullivan
Maybe Fix should hire a cornell lawyer about the NS headgear grab. Kid could change alot and New Jersey might have to remove Nicky-Pushups from the history books :)

Reactions: diggerpup

You're allowed to say, "I was wrong." I do it all the time with my GF. Nobody is going to think any less of you (except for my GF who probably wouldn't like you no matter what).

Go somewhere else to admire your decade of 3rd place trophies

Reactions: Sullivan
My take, knowing no one really cares.
1. Not the first match decided by arbitration, and won't be the last.
2. Corner should have thrown the brick earlier.
3. Refs (READ AS TUCCI) screwed up multiple times
4. Sucks for both guys

and finally, why in the hell don't they change the rule so that when multiple screw ups do happen, they go to the video, check the time, and re-wrestle the bad time? Wouldn't avoid 2 and 3 above, but would avoid #1.

My take, knowing no one really cares.
1. Not the first match decided by arbitration, and won't be the last.
2. Corner should have thrown the brick earlier.
3. Refs (READ AS TUCCI) screwed up multiple times
4. Sucks for both guys

and finally, why in the hell don't they change the rule so that when multiple screw ups do happen, they go to the video, check the time, and re-wrestle the bad time? Wouldn't avoid 2 and 3 above, but would avoid #1.
Pretty much agree with you completely here.

A question on 1:

Has a football, basketball, hockey, soccer or baseball game ever been decided by arbitration? Maybe so--but I'm unaware. Why wrestling? Serious question--not sour grapes.

tell that to Mark Hall v Zahid this year (bogus 2) and the Taylor-Cox slippy slide fiasco where Cox blocked off for a near eternity with nothing called. That was a joke.

Are you talking about the time DT had to beat a one-legged Cox and not only couldn't score but gave up a pushout point to the guy with 1 leg? Is that the match?

It's interesting you would say the Taylor is not on the same tier as Cox and Dake. They all won their world championship the same year (2018) in Budapest. The three of them are literally on the exact same tier currently. They are all the reigning world champs at their weight.

Correct, they all won a title in the same year. However, Cox also has a World and Olympic bronze (beating both DT and Dake to earn). Let's not forget that DT is also 0-9, college and international, against Dake. I'd say the assumption that he isn't on the same tier is a pretty good one.

Last edited:
Ya know, it probably shouldn't have been allowed to be brick'd at that point. However, this is the 2nd time Cornell has had to get lawyers involved this off-season to skew things their way.

I DON'T WANNA HEAR NONE OF THIS "SLUSH FUND" BULLSHIT. I DON'T WANNA HEAR "THEY HAVE ALL THE MONEY!" THESE DUDES BROUGHT IN ****ING LAWYERS TO FIGHT THEIR BATTLES TWICE IN 6 MONTHS. THESE ARE THE ARROGANT, SELF-CENTERED RICH KIDS FROM EVERY SITCOM/CHILDREN'S TV SHOW. IT'S **** CORNELL FROM NOW ON.

Yikes

I love that you are pretending like you care that you get to see these two wrestle again. You want to see Zain lose and this is nothing more than schadenfreude for you. You came to this thread to post so you could be a part of it. The least you can do is just be honest about it.
Bull shit. I have no dog in the fight. I said from the moment the match ended Yianni got screwed. I also said from the end of the match i will support either wrestler 100% at worlds. This is about the USA, not college teams in different states.

Pretty much agree with you completely here.

A question on 1:

Has a football, basketball, hockey, soccer or baseball game ever been decided by arbitration? Maybe so--but I'm unaware. Why wrestling? Serious question--not sour grapes.
not that I am aware of. And I don't know why-but I damn sure don't like it.

EDIT-Sorry, @CropDuster507 , i said a bad word.

All the jokers on twitter with their little hehe comments because they hate PSU, makes me sick.

I will say this right now and I know one gives a damn. If I ever see a match outcome go to court/arbitrator ever again I’ll never watch another wrestling match. Makes me absolutely sick that court can overturn what some may say is a “botched call or procedural error.”

I watch sports because it’s imperfect. Winners win and referees, umpires calls are final. You have reviews already, now we have courts?

Look at NFL last year. Worst call ever, but it didn’t go to court.

Makes me sick..rant over
Not gonna enjoy more PSU titiles, Snyder vs Sadulayev, JB vs Chamiso, Nolf vs JB, or DT and Zain vs the world because one in every 100,000 matches ends up in arbitration?

You do you but that reaction would seem a bit much.

Not gonna enjoy more PSU titiles, Snyder vs Sadulayev, JB vs Chamiso, Nolf vs JB, or DT and Zain vs the world because one in every 100,000 matches ends up in arbitration?

You do you but that reaction would seem a bit much.

Seems harsh I know. But true. I watch much less football than I used to because of all the rules changes. Now this year with the new challenge of the pass interference calls? Hell if I don’t like how that goes, I won’t be watching NFL either. There’s much more to life than watching sports. Once it becomes something that it wasn’t meant to be, I’ll move on.

Reactions: 1AA and matter7172
Seems harsh I know. But true. I watch much less football than I used to because of all the rules changes. Now this year with the new challenge of the pass interference calls? Hell if I don’t like how that goes, I won’t be watching NFL either. There’s much more to life than watching sports. Once it becomes something that it wasn’t meant to be, I’ll move on.
True story. In 1969, Pish’s girlfriend farted during their love making. He hasn’t had sex since, by choice. :)

Correct, they all won a title in the same year. However, Cox also has a World and Olympic bronze (beating both DT and Dake to earn). Let's not forget that DT is also 0-9, all-time, against Dake. I'd say the assumption that he isn't on the same tier is a pretty good one.

Although you have to go back pretty far for the last time Taylor beat Dake, "all-time" is not accurate.

I get not liking the arbitration and would be right with you if this was a prevalent thing but it's not. Hearing about a match going to arbitration once a year or 2 is not enough to keep me from enjoying the sport entirely.

You'll be watching....

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Everything that needed or didn't need to be said -- has been said. Stinks, but time to get ready for the bout(s). Hope he's 100% healthy, then it's GO ZAIN, IT'S YOUR TIME!!

From a "representing-the-USA" standpoint, either guy gets my full support.

You're allowed to say, "I was wrong." I do it all the time with my GF. Nobody is going to think any less of you (except for my GF who probably wouldn't like you no matter what).

But I wasn't.. taylor was not (and still is not) the best wrestler in the USA and certainly not the world (that honor belongs to sadulaev). As for your girlfriend, I have no doubt that she would likely be one of my biggest fans.

Go somewhere else to admire your decade of 3rd place trophies

I once had a wrestler who placed third at a tournament with only two entrants total (including himself). True story.

Its natural to not like something when it affects one of your favorites, in this case ours. Discussion about it is fine. Opinions naturally differ. However, most of the negativity is from guys who "only" care about USA wrestling, and yet are obviously here because they want to rub it in when something bothers the PSU faithful (hard to do that in March). A bit of sour grapes mixed in with their opinion.

Accept the legitimate comments, but ignore the ones that obviously are provocative, don't respond, and the "USA" posters will eventually get tired of trying to provoke. Go USA! ;)

A second tier world champ? That's new. A Cornell fan showing rationalization skills, who would have thought.

Meaning it’s left up to humans and not courts/reviews, etc. Hell I don’t like replays in sports but I’ve accepted them over time.

It’s like in baseball, should we have umpires? Just let a computer call balls and strikes? Make judgement calls?

Some may say they like all the technology, I enjoy the human element of sports. That’s what I meant by the comment.

And I especially hate the fact that a judge can affect an outcome 2 months after the fact
Everybody, but the slower of us, knew exactly what you meant.

Reactions: pish69
A second tier world champ? That's new. A Cornell fan showing rationalization skills, who would have thought.

Woah, I am not saying Taylor is bad AT ALL. On the contrary he is an absolute hammer and standout guy. My comments were simply that he's 4th best in the usa which some took offense to.

On the Cornell comment I am by no means a fan of their program and certainly not dake and koll (read my comment on the dake/dieringer thread). I am happy that this match is going to be re-wrestled because i personally think the officials botched it when they gave the win to Zain. No bias in that thinking and i am 100% ok with winning the spot and repping the USA again

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT