ADVERTISEMENT

Zain/Yanni

ringworm2013

Nov 1, 2013
With the Zain/Yanni arbitration scheduled for 7/29 - if the decision is made that they will re-wrestle match 2 or change the result of match 2 and have to wrestle match 3. Could that happen in Austin with Dake/Dieringer (8/17)? They would have 19 days to prepare. That seems like short notice. Both camps may have had this info for sometime now, so then the notice isn't a factor.
I fully feel the Final X result will stand, but it is just a thought!

Reactions: tabenn
Anyone have any insight on what the heck is taking so long? @tikk10 ? It just doesn’t seem like there can be all that much to consider before making a ruling.

Until I hear otherwise I’m picturing the arbiter sitting alone in a room like this:
giphy.gif

Reactions: nlion91
It was not on July 29th. Apparently (according to FRL), there was a hearing on that date on a motion by Zain's side to have the whole matter dismissed. The arbitrators ruled against that and let Yianni's complaint proceed. The hearing on his complaint was last Thursday or Friday.

I'm not saying the arbitrator has not been spending a lot of time scratching his chin, but it's been more like one week instead of two.

So those of us who went to Rutgers for Final X didn't get to see DT/Downey, Dake/Dieringer and now, effectively, Zain/Yianni. Doesn't seem fair. Maybe we should all come together in a class action in order to receive a refund. What a crock.

Exactly right. I believe the refs botched the second Zain/Yanni match, but those are the breaks. I don't recall the Cornell fans or Koll calling for Realbuto to sit at the NCAA final in 2015 when the refs clearly screwed up his quarterfinal match with Ian Miller who clearly won in regulation. Once the match is over, and all the appeals are completed at the sight, it should be over. Bad precedent was just set.

Bad precedent set today, given how often bad refereeing can be reasonably said to have impacted an outcome. I need to get into the wrestling arbitrator business, lots of work down the road.

Years ago, I represented the pastor's side in a bitter Baptist church dispute with some renegade parishioners. The first thing the judge hearing the case did was call the attorneys into his chambers outside the earshot of the warring sides and tell us "you really don't want courts having to decide things in your church".

They didn’t protest the scoring they protested that the part of the match that was reviewed was not allowed by rule to be reviewed.

Tweet from USA Wrestling:

@USAWrestling
The arbitrator in the Yianni/Zain case nullified the second bout in the 65 kg Final X, due to untimely challenge at conclusion of bout. USA Wrestling to schedule completion of 65 kg. Details coming soon. Retherford enters the remainder of series with 1-0 lead.

The wording is curious -- characterize it as an error by Zain's corner rather than by the refs. Perhaps an attempt to minimize the precedential impact by pidgeon-holing this as a late challenge problem?

Reactions: vhsalum
The wording is curious -- characterize it as an error by Zain's corner rather than by the refs. Perhaps an attempt to minimize the precedential impact by pidgeon-holing this as a late challenge problem?
Well, yeah, that's passive voice to mitigate the appearance of blame, but it's also obfuscating the issue, because the reasoning has to do with the referee's improperly rewinding the clock to consider points that were missed at the time and which occurred outside the permissible window of time to challenge. Zain's corner should've thrown a brick within 5(?) seconds of the points not being awarded. Ref applied a later-thrown challenge to reward points from the beginning of the same sequence.

When it first went down they talked about looking at because it was all kind of one big scramble, was hoping that would stick but that line of thinking went away pretty quick.

Since NLWC didnt throw the brick in time they weren’t by rule allowed to look at it.

These freestyle rules with the scoring it’s self can get pretty confusing. When watching I thought it was points for both guys but most I hear talk about it believe Yianni should’ve won

Well, yeah, that's passive voice to mitigate the appearance of blame, but it's also obfuscating the issue, because the reasoning has to do with the referee's improperly rewinding the clock to consider points that were missed at the time and which occurred outside the permissible window of time to challenge. Zain's corner should've thrown a brick within 5(?) seconds of the points not being awarded. Ref applied a later-thrown challenge to reward points from the beginning of the same sequence.
I hate to but have to agree. The problem is the outcome was basically determined but a review that was not allowable. The review changed the outcome. There is little choice but to redo.

Those complaining about the change in decision seem to forget that cael and co complained about the original outcome and protested themselves (in violation of the rules as determined by arbitration). Comaints by bo and joseph are sour grapes and ironic considering the situation, not a good look at all for the program imo. Yianni is still the unfortunate party hurt by all of this as he should have had his hand raised after the second match, not required to rewrestle it at a 1 to 0 disadvantage. May the best man win, go USA!

Those complaining about the change in decision seem to forget that cael and co complained about the original outcome and protested themselves (in violation of the rules as determined by arbitration). Comaints by bo and joseph are sour grapes and ironic considering the situation, not a good look at all for the program imo. Yianni is still the unfortunate party hurt by all of this as he should have had his hand raised after the second match, not required to rewrestle it at a 1 to 0 disadvantage. May the best man win, go USA!
And Zain with an injury. Not exactly fair to either.

I hate to but have to agree. The problem is the outcome was basically determined but a review that was not allowable. The review changed the outcome. There is little choice but to redo.
I get that Yianni was in one sense jobbed, but in another sense so was Zain, for having not been awarded points he should have been. Does that make it a wash? No, but I would've thought and hoped that an arbitrator would've reserved a rematch decision for only the most obvious of screw jobs, and to my eye this was a garden variety screw up that's only being reviewed because of the stakes and the timing. If the same sequence had occurred identically during the end of the first period, it'd trigger nothing more than mild discussion on Twitter.

I get that Yianni was in one sense jobbed, but in another sense so was Zain, for having not been awarded points he should have been. Does that make it a wash? No, but I would've thought and hoped that an arbitrator would've reserved a rematch decision for only the most obvious of screw jobs, and to my eye this was a garden variety screw up that's only being reviewed because of the stakes and the timing. If the same sequence had occurred identically during the end of the first period, it'd trigger nothing more than mild discussion on Twitter.
Make no mistake, Tikk. Zain was jobbed by not getting the points. But then Yianni wrestled ahead because he’s not behind. It’s the very reason we watch reviews restart from the point of a reversal...the situation changes.

None the less, the review should never have happened since it was too late. I don’t know what else could be done other than redo the match...unless you decide They should just wrestle match 3....which you could easily make the case.

Reactions: vhsalum and tikk10
You should post with your real name and reply bo and Vincent that they are sour grapes and not good for the program.

So when does this realistically happen? Isn't it less than a month until Worlds?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT