ADVERTISEMENT

Zain/Yanni

I remember a college football game in which Colorado scored on the last play to defeat Missouri. That last play was 5th down. Clearly a procedural mistake by the referee but it was not overturned and never litigated. I would be curious to know the outcome if it had been. I believe Colorado went on to win the national title that year. I also remember the perfect game that wasn't by Armando Galarraga. The last batter was ruled safe by the ump on a call that was clearly and unequivocally wrong. Should that have been litigated and the perfect game restored?

I remember a college football game in which Colorado scored on the last play to defeat Missouri. That last play was 5th down. Clearly a procedural mistake by the referee but it was not overturned and never litigated. I would be curious to know the outcome if it had been. I believe Colorado went on to win the national title that year. I also remember the perfect game that wasn't by Armando Galarraga. The last batter was ruled safe by the ump on a call that was clearly and unequivocally wrong. Should that have been litigated and the perfect game restored?
Also a Nebraska receiver illegally kicking the ball to himself in the end zone in 1994 to preserve their undefeated season.

Also a Nebraska receiver illegally kicking the ball to himself in the end zone in 1994 to preserve their undefeated season.

Dude, talk about picking a scab off a wound. I only recently got over that shaft job of a season. Frickin Nebraska. @#$$@!#
Best college team ever to get shafted out of the national championship. Boo hoo, Tom Osbourne hasn't won anything before so let's give him the trophy. Ok, rant over.

Was just coming here to post this:

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Those complaining about the change in decision seem to forget that cael and co complained about the original outcome and protested themselves (in violation of the rules as determined by arbitration). Comaints by bo and joseph are sour grapes and ironic considering the situation, not a good look at all for the program imo. Yianni is still the unfortunate party hurt by all of this as he should have had his hand raised after the second match, not required to rewrestle it at a 1 to 0 disadvantage. May the best man win, go USA!
You know what is a good look for the program? All of those National Titles we’ve won over the last 10 years.

Reactions: Scryed

Btw, this game was serious fun:
701_h.jpg

Yes it was! I was in the senior section for it. 49-7 at halftime ... We beat Ohio State so bad, Kerry Collins got lifted so early that he beat me to the post-game tailgates.

Nice! I was in the senior section too. That was a lot of entertaining football games that season.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
You know what is a good look for the program? All of those National Titles we’ve won over the last 10 years.

You're absolutely right, what Cael and co have done at penn state is truly phenomenal. I believe Cael will go down as the greatest wrestling coach in history by the time he is done (already in that conversation and is still young)

Reactions: PSU_522
701_h.jpg

I got onto the Beaver Stadium turf after that game. Walked down from the student section & blended in with recruits and their families :D

Walked on the field for 5 mins or so. Was able to sneak & stand behind Ki-Jana when he was interviewed by ESPN.

Ahhh. Memories of being a PSU undergrad.

Last edited:
I got onto the Beaver Stadium turf after that game. Walked down from the student section & blended in with recruits and their families :D

Walked on the field for 5 mins or so. Was able to sneak & stand behind Ki-Jana when he was interviewed by ESPN.

Ahhh. Memories of being a PSU undergrad.

The year before I went to Penn State they upset #1 Notre Dame in South Bend late in the season. A bunch of students raided Beaver Stadium and marched one of the goal posts all the way to Paterno's house. The next year when Notre Dame came to town, I never saw so many cops in one place at one time. They protected the goal posts like they were the crown jewels. There were a lot of baton beat downs and faces full of mace after that game (Penn State destroyed the Irish and the goal posts were saved).

The year before I went to Penn State they upset #1 Notre Dame in South Bend late in the season. A bunch of students raided Beaver Stadium and marched one of the goal posts all the way to Paterno's house. The next year when Notre Dame came to town, I never saw so many cops in one place at one time. They protected the goal posts like they were the crown jewels. There were a lot of baton beat downs and faces full of mace after that game (Penn State destroyed the Irish and the goal posts were saved).
I remember that road win over Notre Dame--some of the goal post pieces made it to a mob on College Ave, which was totally shut down for a while too.

I think the George Brett pine tar incident is a decent analogy to this in MLB - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Tar_Incident . They did reverse a ruling and replayed (from that point), so it’s not like it’s only wrestling where this has happened.

I do find it ironic that this would not have happened without video review, which of course was instituted to help get calls right. Of course without video review Zain probably loses anyway so Zain fans really shouldn’t be that mad.

Reactions: js8793
Goalpost moving. What you're saying was not the assertion.

The assertion was Zain being the source of the hands to the face rule. And Hotshoe is right -- it was Zain's face to many teams' hands, starting with Rutgers and spreading from there, primarily as a stalling technique.
I'm sorry, but you're making the same mistake the first poster made. You're right that Zain was not THE reason the rule was changed. But to say that the rule was changed because opponents were retaliating against Zain is even more ludicrous. The rule was made because many wrestlers were abusing the lax enforcement. Zain happens to be the biggest name, but not the only offender.

I was responding to the poster acting like they had no idea what anybody would be talking about regarding Zain's hands to the face. Was he the sole reason for the rule change? No. Was he a repeat and obvious offender? Absolutely yes.

No, the perfect game shouldn't have been restored (unfortunately. I still remember feeling sick watching that live). That was not an objective procedural error like allowing an illegal challenge or a 5th down.

I don't get why this is so confusing for people on this board.

I'm sorry, but you're making the same mistake the first poster made. You're right that Zain was not THE reason the rule was changed. But to say that the rule was changed because opponents were retaliating against Zain is even more ludicrous. The rule was made because many wrestlers were abusing the lax enforcement. Zain happens to be the biggest name, but not the only offender.

I was responding to the poster acting like they had no idea what anybody would be talking about regarding Zain's hands to the face. Was he the sole reason for the rule change? No. Was he a repeat and obvious offender? Absolutely yes.
Thank you for confirming that the original assertion was false.

No, the perfect game shouldn't have been restored (unfortunately. I still remember feeling sick watching that live). That was not an objective procedural error like allowing an illegal challenge or a 5th down.

I don't get why this is so confusing for people on this board.
The pitcher is standing on the base with possession of the ball and the batter still steps away from the base is not objective? The umpire called the batter safe because the fielder missed the base, yet the fielder was quite obviously on the base with the ball way before the batter arrived. The information was readily available to tender an objective call, yet somehow the umpire made an objective call incorrectly. Kind of like missing count of four downs and giving a fifth.

You make many mistakes when offering your opinion on comparisons.

Read a short story in SI about Jim Joyce, the very highly regarded ump who blew that call. This was a few years ago, but he said it bothered him every day of his life.

The pitcher is standing on the base with possession of the ball and the batter still steps away from the base is not objective? The umpire called the batter safe because the fielder missed the base, yet the fielder was quite obviously on the base with the ball way before the batter arrived. The information was readily available to tender an objective call, yet somehow the umpire made an objective call incorrectly. Kind of like missing count of four downs and giving a fifth.

Had there have been reviews then, that call gets overturned in a nano-second.

Reactions: nitlion6
I remember that road win over Notre Dame--some of the goal post pieces made it to a mob on College Ave, which was totally shut down for a while too.
The Craig Fayak game?

I skipped the stadium goalpost cutting ceremony and went straight ot the Skeller. Probably the most packed I've ever seen it -- the first room alone exceeded the fire code capacity for the entire bar.

It's not a procedural error. He blew the call, but it's not the same type of call. Calling someone out at first is a judgment call, regardless of how bad the judgment is. Allowing a challenge in a situation where a challenge isn't allowed is a procedural error. It's outside of the actual game being played.This is embarrassing for you.

It's not a procedural error. He blew the call, but it's not the same type of call. Calling someone out at first is a judgment call, regardless of how bad the judgment is. Allowing a challenge in a situation where a challenge isn't allowed is a procedural error. It's outside of the actual game being played.This is embarrassing for you.

about-manure1.jpg

(You're using the wrong manure at the wrong time of year.)

701_h.jpg

I was stationed in TX when this game was played. I was irritated as heck when the local TV station cut to another game about halfway through the second quarter of the game, as it was already over. That 94 offense was a thing of beauty.

Goalpost moving. What you're saying was not the assertion.

The assertion was Zain being the source of the hands to the face rule. And Hotshoe is right -- it was Zain's face to many teams' hands, starting with Rutgers and spreading from there, primarily as a stalling technique.
This is exactly right. Hands to the face against Zain became to go to technique wrestling him and led to stalling and close matches that never would have happened. I personally never saw Zain lose a point wrestling. I may have missed it but don't believe it happened. At the end of Zain's college career, it wasn't very enjoyable watching him because of the slapping and stalling used against him.

If there were procedures in place to litigate these things, then, yes, litigation could have been pursued. But there isn't/wasn't, as opposed to this situation in which there was a specifically designated appeals process. A process specified by the USOC.

Perhaps you remember the George Brett pine tar incident? You know, when the final parts of a baseball game was replayed because an incorrect decision was made on the field?

I was stationed in TX when this game was played. I was irritated as heck when the local TV station cut to another game about halfway through the second quarter of the game, as it was already over. That 94 offense was a thing of beauty.

Travis AFB?

Nebraska fans are the worst. Try living next door to those rabid shucker fans. Huck the Fuskers
Not only do I deal with Iowans driving and being around, 1hr from the MN/IA border, but I also have to deal with being 1hr away from the MN/WI border. Now those football and sports fans are $$*_ing awful.

If there were procedures in place to litigate these things, then, yes, litigation could have been pursued. But there isn't/wasn't, as opposed to this situation in which there was a specifically designated appeals process. A process specified by the USOC.

Perhaps you remember the George Brett pine tar incident? You know, when the final parts of a baseball game was replayed because an incorrect decision was made on the field?
Actually the pine tar decision by the umpire was technically correct. The pine tar on the bat exceeded the the amount allowed by rule. The ump's decision was correct, Brett's bat was illegal and therefore the out call.

Baseball basically decided the pine tar on the bat had no effect on the ball struck for the HR and over turned a correct enforcement of the rules.

A procedure is a process for doing something. Throw ball to fielder covering base before batter reaches base to record an out. This is the procedure for the players.

If fielder covering first base is on the base and in possession of the ball prior to batter reaching the base the batter is out and an out for the batting team is recorded, else the batter is safe and no out for the batting team is recorded. This is the procedure for the umpire and it is objective. The information was all right there for the ump to make the correct "yes or no" objective decision and he called it incorrectly therefore giving the other team an additional at bat. His incorrect call screwed up the procedural process of that game.

The Yanni/Zain decision (at the match) was a judgment call on whether or not the scoring sequence was a continous action. The judgment by the officials involved was "yes" it was and therefore reviewable. What I get from the arbitrator is in his view the continous action matters less than the 5 second window. However, if that is the case and procedure is followed the ruling should have been Yanni win.
A do over ruling is hardly procedural. This ruling stepped outside of the procedural process.

Anyhow. At the end of this silly back and forth and following a series of yes no questions and following my own procedural process I have objectively as I can, concluded you are full of baloney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT