ADVERTISEMENT

Van Ness

We had been a bit on the fortunate side injury wise, compared to others, for the past few years. Unfortunately it was our turn to suffer one, and even worse, a potential Champion.

Huge bummer with really no good news to it. I don't believe Kasak is quite ready at this point unfortunately. I also think anyone expecting great things from him should probably pump the brakes. Personally I think if he can qualify for Nationals, then he has met my hopes for success, I don't expect any points at Nationals.

Next year? You bet, not sure about this season though. A ton of potential but similar to Bartlett probably during his freshman year wrestling up a weight. If there is any tiny light from this, at least it's happening right now instead of mid February.

Reactions: mcpat
Let’s get Cassar working with Kasak and Evans on the weight gain plan. There’s three months for (prob less than) eight healthy pounds of muscle.

We had been a bit on the fortunate side injury wise, compared to others, for the past few years. Unfortunately it was our turn to suffer one, and even worse, a potential Champion.

Huge bummer with really no good news to it. I don't believe Kasak is quite ready at this point unfortunately. I also think anyone expecting great things from him should probably pump the brakes. Personally I think if he can qualify for Nationals, then he has met my hopes for success, I don't expect any points at Nationals.

Next year? You bet, not sure about this season though. A ton of potential but similar to Bartlett probably during his freshman year wrestling up a weight. If there is any tiny light from this, at least it's happening right now instead of mid February.
We never know the full extent of what our guys battle injury wise though. I can tell you Carter wasn't close to full health for 2022, 2023 national titles. RBY was broken in 2022 and found a way to win so you'd never guess.

But you know what? It's wrestling, nobody is truly 100%, it's just not possible. I'm adamant that Dan Monthley is equally as important as any of the coaches for the success of the team.

So what about Pierce. Are we assuming Kasak (or Evans) beats him at his weight?

Reactions: flyinorvi

I think you are underestimating Kasak. He might not be Levi but he has AA potential absolutely. Kid is very very good. He beat Cornella this summer and lost in the U20 trial finals to Mendez. First match was 4-3 with the second not being so close. He’s going to be just fine if he ends up being the guy to go

I think you are underestimating Kasak. He might not be Levi but he has AA potential absolutely. Kid is very very good. He beat Cornella this summer and lost in the U20 trial finals to Mendez. First match was 4-3 with the second not being so close. He’s going to be just fine if he ends up being the guy to go
You may be right!

Reactions: mcpat
If Cael is undecided, then we'll see Evans and/or Pierce vs Hofstra and Oregon State. Those opponents are not good enough to use up any of Kasak's remaining competition dates.

Then Kasak would get the next match, vs Indiana's Rooks who's ranked 14th. After that, we'll see.

If Cael is undecided, then we'll see Evans and/or Pierce vs Hofstra and Oregon State. Those opponents are not good enough to use up any of Kasak's remaining competition dates.

Then Kasak would get the next match, vs Indiana's Rooks who's ranked 14th. After that, we'll see.
It’s prob no secret on this board that I’m an Evans fan. If this were 141, I think it would be a pretty easy decision to preserve Kasak’s shirt. But Evans started at 133 here; I’m not sure where he stands size-wise at 149.

I don't see Kasak as less talented than Arrington, who was R12 last year as a true freshman and is ranked 6th.

He'd have to adjust to being up a weight.

Whoever we send, at least we know Voinovich won't get a takedown against any of them.

Terrible news. Just when I was done with college football and ready to lock in on wrestling. Hope for the best in his recovery.

This suuuuuckkkssss. And it’s fair to start to wonder if his body will hold up through a college career. Third major injury in about four years
Fair point, but SVN made it through last season relatively unscathed. Was hoping the major injury bug was behind him.

It’s prob no secret on this board that I’m an Evans fan. If this were 141, I think it would be a pretty easy decision to preserve Kasak’s shirt. But Evans started at 133 here; I’m not sure where he stands size-wise at 149.
I don’t think there’s any reason to preserve Kasak’s shirt if he’s the best guy for any spot. He can shirt next year. Beau & SVN are both back, so between this year and next, one was going to be a shirt year and the other a backup year. Now, he can get a 4th year as a starter, even if it’s premature for him to be a contender.

I echo everyone's feelings on Shayne's injury. Such a shame for him. Hopefully getting surgery so early in the season will be advantageous for his recovery for next season. From a purely team title angle, there have been several championship years for Penn State where the loss of points from someone as good as Shayne would have spelled doom for the team title, but fortunately that doesn't appear to be the case this season.

Have they said he getting surgery? Or going the Kerk route to strengthen the muscles around the knee?
Cael referenced “getting it repaired.” And waiting for medical staff to return from the holidays. But he didn’t mention what was injured.

Reactions: pish69
Yes. Based on observation this year, there's little chance that it won't be Kasak or Evans. I can see why Cael likes Pierce though, he's a goer. But not near the level of Kasak. Maybe, if Kasak keeps the RS, he could be competitive with Evans but that would likely only be because Evans will be very small at the weight IMO.

We had a nice run of 3 years with only Robbie being out for a season, better than most...law of averages always catches up.

We had a nice run of 3 years with only Robbie being out for a season, better than most...law of averages always catches up.
I mean, PSU's training program is tailored to minimize injuries moreso than other schools, so I don't think it's totally a coincidence that we are less bitten by the injury bug, but yeah, it's impossible to avoid it altogether in this sport.

Let’s look at this logically:

2023-24. Bartlett at 141 and 149 is now open.
2024-25. Bartlett at 141 and Van Ness at 149. (Kasak will be blocked)

so, why red-shirt him this year, if he won’t have a have a spot next year. wrestle a little undersized this year and gain experience instead of red-shirting and sitting next year too.

The plan should be wrestle 149 now and red-shirt during 2024-25 and prepare for whatever weight he is going to wrestle in 2025-26. My guess is he will be a 141 moving forward, since VanNess will (should) be able to get a medical and be at 149 for 3 years.

Terrible news. Hopefully Shayne recovers quickly.

Any chance Levi could cut to 149, Mesenbrink to 157 & Facundo comes out of olympic redshirt and go 165?

• Haha
Reactions: dbldoofus
I am guessing SVN hurt his knee. I firmly believe it was bothering him at NCAAs last year. You could see how he didn't compete as much as normal when his one knee was attacked... this sucks as I'm a big fan of his..

Levi would have to lose a chunk of his leg a la Peyton Robb
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Best wishes for a full recovery and look forward to seeing SVN again next year...

I'm pretty sure SVN and AF had their right knee taped and rapped up back as far as the iowa duel last year.

Cael's comments seemed to lean towards Kasak keeping his shirt, I think Evans is too small. My money is on Pierce, it's the most logical choice looking long term.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Cael's comments seemed to lean towards Kasak keeping his shirt, I think Evans is too small. My money is on Pierce, it's the most logical choice looking long term.
How is that the most logical long term choice? Next year when SVN is healthy that would mean that Kasak is riding the pine and losing a year of eligibility. He should wrestle this year when there is an opening and he can redshirt next year when SVN is back and Bartlett is a senior

How is that the most logical long term choice? Next year when SVN is healthy that would mean that Kasak is riding the pine and losing a year of eligibility. He should wrestle this year when there is an opening and he can redshirt next year when SVN is back and Bartlett is a senior
So much deeper than that. Kasak is a lot better than you think. He is a guy that expects to compete for a National title next year. I don't know why you assume he wouldn't be able to win the 141 spot next year? BB didn't exactly blow his doors off a couple of weeks ago.
When SVN is healthy could also be read as IF SVN if fully healthy next year. Season ending injuries and surgeries don't always end with a guy ever back to 100% healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT