ADVERTISEMENT

Van Ness

So much deeper than that. Kasak is a lot better than you think. He is a guy that expects to compete for a National title next year. I don't know why you assume he wouldn't be able to win the 141 spot next year? BB didn't exactly blow his doors off a couple of weeks ago.
When SVN is healthy could also be read as IF SVN if fully healthy next year. Season ending injuries and surgeries don't always end with a guy ever back to 100% healthy.
I believe we are at a point where whoever is the best option today should go. Best option meaning whoever will advance the furthest at the end of the year. These guys all want to wrestle sooner rather than later. The save eligibility games (red/grey/Oly shirts) are somewhat out the window....unless the team needs them to queue up the next years lineup. In most cases, we have a waiting AA on the bench. Yes, he might benefit from a year waiting, but that benefit is 4 years from now. There is no reason to believe that we will not have another stud come in 3 years from now at the same weight.

Cael's comments seemed to lean towards Kasak keeping his shirt, I think Evans is too small. My money is on Pierce, it's the most logical choice looking long term.
The good thing is that they have time to evaluate. I agree Evans is too small (probably closer to 133 than 149 and could actually make 133 if he had a spot there). They can give Pierce Hofstra and Oregon State to evaluate how he’ll do against average competition, then give Kasak the match against Rooks/Indiana. If Pierce struggles against the weaker teams then Kasak torches Rooks, then Kasak should go since it would appear that he could compete for AA this year. If the opposite happens and Pierce takes care of business in the easier matches but Kasak struggles against Rooks and it looks like both will just top out as a qualifier and nothing more, then shelf Kasak and let Pierce have this season.

The good thing is that they have time to evaluate. I agree Evans is too small (probably closer to 133 than 149 and could actually make 133 if he had a spot there). They can give Pierce Hofstra and Oregon State to evaluate how he’ll do against average competition, then give Kasak the match against Rooks/Indiana. If Pierce struggles against the weaker teams then Kasak torches Rooks, then Kasak should go since it would appear that he could compete for AA this year. If the opposite happens and Pierce takes care of business in the easier matches but Kasak struggles against Rooks and it looks like both will just top out as a qualifier and nothing more, then shelf Kasak and let Pierce have this season.
giphy.gif

I believe we are at a point where whoever is the best option today should go. Best option meaning whoever will advance the furthest at the end of the year. These guys all want to wrestle sooner rather than later. The save eligibility games (red/grey/Oly shirts) are somewhat out the window....unless the team needs them to queue up the next years lineup. In most cases, we have a waiting AA on the bench. Yes, he might benefit from a year waiting, but that benefit is 4 years from now. There is no reason to believe that we will not have another stud come in 3 years from now at the same weight.
Such as Forrest& Bassett, cant assume anything now,especially with the portal. Run your best guy NOW, future will sort itself out.

Remember Kasak has been rolling with these guys/M2/NLWC guys for a couple years now, he dont need no damn RS. Ask DT, he’ll tell ya.

Last edited:
Really feel for Shayne, it does appear that there was a decision involved and it was decided to get this taken care of now. Fortunately with the PSU program he was not asked to push through. Silver lining is that Shayne’s talent and leadership I think will be more vital 3 years from now than today. I also think Kasak should go and is chomping at the bit for the opportunity, and keeping his 4 years in play.

Really feel for Shayne, it does appear that there was a decision involved and it was decided to get this taken care of now. Fortunately with the PSU program he was not asked to push through. Silver lining is that Shayne’s talent and leadership I think will be more vital 3 years from now than today. I also think Kasak should go and is chomping at the bit for the opportunity, and keeping his 4 years in play.
The real trade becomes if Shayne stays healthy, you get a year at the end of his eligibility when you may need (or not) his 20+ points when the 5-10 points you may (or may not) lose this year wont make a difference in all likelihood

Pierce has already lost to 3 guys ranked 30+. How much more can be learned wrestling a couple of 50+ guys?

If it's close in the room, then keep Kasak's shirt. We will unlikely get NCAA points with either. If there is separation, let Kasak wrestle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
I feel terrible for SVN. He was really coming in strong. His semis match against Yianni was incredible last year and showed his potential to win it all this year. I was hoping for one more matchup with Murin last year but wasn't meant to be.
Hoping for a speedy recovery for him

One of the better known PSU message board insiders, Brantt, just posted on the L247 wrestling thread “to keep an eye on the portal”.

He has a track record of calling wrestling transfers correctly. I think he called the Max Dean one long ahead of time.

One of the better known PSU message board insiders, Brantt, just posted on the L247 wrestling thread “to keep an eye on the portal”.

He has a track record of calling wrestling transfers correctly. I think he called the Max Dean one long ahead of time.
I'm not questioning this guy's sources, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. Since SVN is only a sophomore and blocking Kasak with someone else for multiple year would probably mean losing him, you'd only want a senior transfer. The list is short. Someone like Kinner or Rooks wouldn't be a big upgrade (or maybe not an upgrade at all) in points over Kasak. Realbuto? He's on ORS training for the Italian Olympic trials. Could they talk him into it? Lovett? He has a year left, but he's a 5th year junior, so maybe he's not planning on using the free year? If he's the one and comes back for his final year of eligibility, is the wrestle-off with SVN in the room actually for the national championship? Parco? Another 5th year junior?

Gotta be Real Woods right. He is a big 41 so going 49 would not be a problem. Clears out 41 for Beau. Weakens Iowa and gets Woods on the best team for getting him a championship 😆
Now this is thinking out of the box. I like it. He's portaled once already, so he'd need a grad transfer to do it this time. Is he done undergrad? I'm sure he'd love to be able to eat again.

HIs name comes up not infrequently at the rumor stage, and far less frequently at the proven fact stage.

Are there even any actual wrestling names in the portal?

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Now this is thinking out of the box. I like it. He's portaled once already, so he'd need a grad transfer to do it this time. Is he done undergrad? I'm sure he'd love to be able to eat again.
Woods graduated from his first dream school, then transferred to his Dream School (TM).

Austin Gomez??? I think it will be Kasak's weight.
I forgot about him, but I thought he was done with college wrestling. He'd have to get an extra medical redshirt year (which he should be able to get), but I'd expect him to do about as well as other 14th year seniors, so I'd probably rather see Kasak.

I forgot about him, but I thought he was done with college wrestling. He'd have to get an extra medical redshirt year (which he should be able to get), but I'd expect him to do about as well as other 14th year seniors, so I'd probably rather see Kasak.
Assuming wrestlestat is accurate, he's only used 3 years of eligibility. Redshirted in 2018, wrestled in 2019, didn't wrestle a match in 2020 or 2021, then wrestled in 2022 and 2023.

Maybe he'd run into an issue with the whole "5 years to wrestle 4" thing and need a waiver for that. I don't know all the ins and outs of eligibility.

I'm not questioning this guy's sources, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. Since SVN is only a sophomore and blocking Kasak with someone else for multiple year would probably mean losing him, you'd only want a senior transfer. The list is short. Someone like Kinner or Rooks wouldn't be a big upgrade (or maybe not an upgrade at all) in points over Kasak. Realbuto? He's on ORS training for the Italian Olympic trials. Could they talk him into it? Lovett? He has a year left, but he's a 5th year junior, so maybe he's not planning on using the free year? If he's the one and comes back for his final year of eligibility, is the wrestle-off with SVN in the room actually for the national championship? Parco? Another 5th year junior?
Is it theoretically possible for a guy to wrestle for one school in the fall semester, then transfer and compete for a different school second semester?

Is it theoretically possible for a guy to wrestle for one school in the fall semester, then transfer and compete for a different school second semester?
Maybe not. I don't know the technicalities of the portal. If someone else contradicts me, they are likely correct.

I've heard from multiple people Cael is indeed looking at the portal. Austin Gomez is the name mentioned most. He's wrestling for the Cliff Keen club I believe. Know he's at Michigan

Reactions: Maddog
I've heard from multiple people Cael is indeed looking at the portal. Austin Gomez is the name mentioned most. He's wrestling for the Cliff Keen club I believe. Know he's at Michigan
Rumor is that Gomez has not been admitted to Michigan for the spring semester. It true ….

Which one of the Ferraris are at 149?
Anthony

Frankly, I was really looking forward to a possible matchup between SVN and Anthony in the Iowa dual. SVN beat Anthony in the highly charged Blair-Bergen Cath matchup about a month after the Ferraris were expelled from Blair after Anthony got into a fight with Chittum.

Reactions: LOTOlion
Austin Gomez??? I think it will be Kasak's weight.
If he's in the portal, it's almost certainly a formality to let him compete for Michigan.

He didn't need to enter the portal to wrestle freestyle for CKWC. Now that he's decided to unretire from folk, hello portal.

I didn’t get that from his comments at all. Caels going to put the best guy on the mat for post season. That would be Kasak.
If Kasak is to be the man at 149 this year, then it would be in his interest to get as many matches in as he can. He has wrestled 4 matches at 141 which won't help him with rankings/RPI and only 1 match at 149 thus far. If he only wrestles in duals from here on out, he can get 11 more matches at 149 before the B1Gs. The other option would be to find him a tournament or two so that he can get some extra matches in and perhaps do a Hawkeye for the match against Lovett and let a backup wrestle that one.

Anthony

Frankly, I was really looking forward to a possible matchup between SVN and Anthony in the Iowa dual. SVN beat Anthony in the highly charged Blair-Bergen Cath matchup about a month after the Ferraris were expelled from Blair after Anthony got into a fight with Chittum.
Yeah, beat him pretty easily. 2 TDs to none, rode him for 3+ minutes, only point Ferrari scored was on a free escape. Ferrari got in on 1 deep shot late in match, but this was all Van Ness. Of course Ferrari fans are already ticketing him for championships, but he’s the Fredo of the family

https://youtu.be/tVR6Y_b0Koc?si=tk7El7tMMHvpy7iy

Is there even a portal still for THIS season? When we’ve added guys in the past at January, I thought they were guys not enrolled in the fall. Sounds like from above posts Gomez fits that profile. Interesting. But I’d rather see Kasak/Evans/Pierce get their shot, especially since I don’t think we’ll be needing finalist points come March.

Real Woods to PSU, he wants off that sinking ship ;-/

I still have memories of Gomez with RBY signaling touchdown. No kidding Gomez could be a title threat. I am not a big fan of kids starting in the program mid year though, 2+ months of prep isn't enough for the Cael mojo osmosis to set in.

Gomez has been assumed to be all but set at 149 for Michigan, but who knows if that will really go through

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT