ADVERTISEMENT

Van Ness

Yes indeed. Get healthy young man.

Good thing he isn't wrestling for that midwestern team. ACL's are for wusses!
After like 3 or 4 of them and he's still a badass, I'll take his word for it. I'm not aware of any 3x NCAA champ that has been through what Spencer has medically.
He's back for more.
He's a class act too, just like Zain, Bo, Nolf, Lee, Brooks, etc...
He doesn't deserve to be dissed.

After like 3 or 4 of them and he's still a badass, I'll take his word for it. I'm not aware of any 3x NCAA champ that has been through what Spencer has medically.
He's back for more.
We poke fun of him in good nature. Of course, if something really bad happened to him like Sasso or something, everyone here would immediately sympathize and rally behind him. With that said, there’s no way anyone here will or should stop needling him and/or his mom on here. This is a Rivals board, and that shit is hilarious.

I just hope that, whoever is put out there at 149, they get enough matches to qualify. This is one of the few drawbacks of a lighter schedule. Whoever goes is going to have to get in some matches at 149, stat.

Or, just punt on 149.

He's back for more.
Class acts don't throw their first place medal to the ground right in front of the person that awarded it to him.

Last edited:
He's back for more.
Class acts don't send their Daddy out to speak on their behalf and make excuses for them.

There are a ton of complimentary adjectives/phrases that I would use to describe Spencer Lee including tough, determined, disciplined, tremendously skilled, strong, etc. He’s a fantastic wrestler who’s been through an incredible amount of adversity. However, as much as Hawkeye fans would like it to be so, “class act” is not an accurate descriptor for him.

The thing w/ these wrestlers is, we only see their on-mat and in-camera personas, typically. We all like wrestling because it can mirror the most important aspects of who you are. But at the same time, I'm less inclined to start analyzing a person's character by how they (or their families) talk to the camera. I've never met Spencer. I bet he's great with kids though--and is likely generous with his time and resources to the less fortunate.

I totally think its fair game to criticize a wrestler for how they compete, or even what they say, do, or don't do before/after. But at the end of the day, we're just fans, and they are entire people with lives, quirks, and passions we can for the most part only imagine. It's just me, and to each their own, but you're not likely to see me say a wrestler lacks class as a person based soley on their media persona. Maybe PD3, and likely AJ--but in both, it's a bit more than just the court of public opinion at play, isn't it?

Last edited:
The thing w/ these wrestlers is, we only see their on-mat and in-camera personas, typically. We all like wrestling because it can mirror the most important aspects of who you are. But at the same time, I'm less inclined to start analyzing a person's character by how they (or their families) talk to the camera. I've never met Spencer. I bet he's great with kids though--and is likely generous with his time and resources to the less fortunate.

I totally think its fair game to criticize a wrestler for how they compete, or even what they say, do, or don't do before/after. But at the end of the day, we're just fans, and they are entire people with lives, quirks, and passions we can for the most part only imagine. It's just me, and to each their own, but you're not likely to see me say a wrestler lacks class as a person based soley on their media persona. Maybe PD3, and likely AJ--but in both, it's a bit more than just the court of public opinion a play, isn't it?
Everyone has different opinions and tolerance levels.
Do you have children who wrestle? Would you let them idolize someone who threw a medal on the floor from possibly the most decorated American wrestler of all time? Sorry, but I wouldnt.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Everyone has different opinions and tolerance levels.
Do you have children who wrestle? Would you let them idolize someone who threw a medal on the floor from possibly the most decorated American wrestler of all time? Sorry, but I wouldnt.
100% true about opinions & tolerance.

My oldest stopped wrestling last year--my youngest wants to start next year. I don't generally dictate who they idolize, though I certainly try to guide them to not lionize anyone as an infallible hero. If we were watching that happen w/ Spencer's medal, I would see it as a great opportunity for inquiry and growth. I agree, that behavior was a bad look. I'm just saying that doesn't in and of itself indict Spencer as a bad person. He just showed poor judgement, as every last one of us do from time to time (let's not forget, he's also in a bubble where throwing your medal away is considered some sort of expression of alpha-dog tenacity or something).

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any 3x NCAA champ that has been through what Spencer has medically.
While probably true, this is quite annoying.

Lee has medically not been thru remotely what Robles has. Or what Verk has, being diabetic for most of his life and yet competing at a D1 NQ level. Etc.

(EDIT: Or Doyle Trout, losing a leg while in college and overcoming that to start for Wyoming.)

Iowa fans (and Lar) would do well to stop giving him the Victimhood Olympics gold medal.

Last edited:
Spencer Lee is an incredible talent who has achieved a ton in the sport of wrestling. He is not the all time greatest wrestler, but instead one of many great wrestlers we have been lucky enough to watch. I hope he can stay healthy enough to chase his Olympic dream, but that doesn't mean I'm pulling for him to be our rep at 57kg. I will be all in if he should represent team USA just like I was for Richards and TG before him.

I can't really comment with any accuracy on Spencer Lee the person as I only see what he and others show us. I'm guessing he is a pretty good guy based on what I have seen. I don't find any joy in watching him struggle with injuries, and truly hope he can get closer to 100 percent by trials.

He's back for more.
It was more of a dissing of TnT and their insatiable desire to dethrone PSU at all costs. No way, no how should Spencer been sent out there with his medical issues. He should have been taken care of early and then, AFTER REHAB, prepared for team Iowa and team USA glory.

...but that wouldn't have been convenient, since it would have coincided with the Iowa "superteam" year(s). I actually feel bad for Spencer...he didn't deserve to be treated like that.

It was more of a dissing of TnT and their insatiable desire to dethrone PSU at all costs. No way, no how should Spencer been sent out there with his medical issues. He should have been taken care of early and then, AFTER REHAB, prepared for team Iowa and team USA glory.

...but that wouldn't have been convenient, since it would have coincided with the Iowa "superteam" year(s). I actually feel bad for Spencer...he didn't deserve to be treated like that.
I don't necessarily disagree that what you say is what should have happened. But I don't get the sense that much happens with Spencer's wrestling career that Spencer, Big Lar, and the rest of his "team" aren't on board with.

I don't think Spencer Lee is being used or made to do anything he doesn't want to do.

Class acts don't throw their first place medal to the ground right in front of the person that awarded it to him.

Class acts dont show up team mates after beating them.

Class acts don't send their Daddy out to speak on their behalf and make excuses for them.
There are a ton of complimentary adjectives/phrases that I would use to describe Spencer Lee including tough, determined, disciplined, tremendously skilled, strong, etc. He’s a fantastic wrestler who’s been through an incredible amount of adversity. However, as much as Hawkeye fans would like it to be so, “class act” is not an accurate descriptor for him.
giphy.gif

I just hope that, whoever is put out there at 149, they get enough matches to qualify. This is one of the few drawbacks of a lighter schedule. Whoever goes is going to have to get in some matches at 149, stat.

Or, just punt on 149.
Placing well enough at BIGs gets you to the NCAAs.

I don't necessarily disagree that what you say is what should have happened. But I don't get the sense that much happens with Spencer's wrestling career that Spencer, Big Lar, and the rest of his "team" aren't on board with.

I don't think Spencer Lee is being used or made to do anything he doesn't want to do.
(my last Spencer post)

I agree. I could be way off base, but my theory with the Lee's is that, being from western PA, they are all in the HATE Penn State category. After living with 8 Pittsburgh area kids as an undergrad on Atherton street, I witnessed firsthand, the disdain that many in their families had for PSU. My roomies were all true blue PSU fans, but many in their families had a visceral hatred for PSU. I would guess in Pittsburgh (and Philly), it is about a 50/50 ratio of fan support for PSU. I would put Larry and crew in the hater group....and no way in hell was Spencer ever going to consider PSU. Just my $.02

Now back to SVN...get better young man! We love you and want you to heal fully and come back and kick ass! Keep that amazing smile!

If Jason Nolf is recording instruction videos with Spencer, I suspect he’s a high character person. We should try to not judge people based on their actions immediately after competition.

Placing well enough at BIGs gets you to the NCAAs.
Right. This is it. All that other stuff gets more pre-allocation spots for the conference, which theoretically makes it a little easier to qualify, but F-that. Just worry about your place in the B1G tournament and we'll steal someone else's pre-allocation spot. LOL.

Lots of people who show us poor sportsmanship are actually good dudes.
This is an underrated comment. Everyone loses their cool in the heat of the moment occasionally (I know I have once or twice...). That doesn't make them a bad person. I don't doubt that Spencer is a high character dude in life, like almost all wrestlers are. Like I said before, though, that's no reason not to keep poking fun at him (and his mom), though. This is a Rivals board after all and that whole thing was hilarious.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
(my last Spencer post)

I agree. I could be way off base, but my theory with the Lee's is that, being from western PA, they are all in the HATE Penn State category. After living with 8 Pittsburgh area kids as an undergrad on Atherton street, I witnessed firsthand, the disdain that many in their families had for PSU. My roomies were all true blue PSU fans, but many in their families had a visceral hatred for PSU. I would guess in Pittsburgh (and Philly), it is about a 50/50 ratio of fan support for PSU. I would put Larry and crew in the hater group....and no way in hell was Spencer ever going to consider PSU. Just my $.02

Now back to SVN...get better young man! We love you and want you to heal fully and come back and kick ass! Keep that amazing smile!
This is factually incorrect. Lee's final 3 were Iowa, PSU, and anOSU. It was widely known that Ohio State was 3rd, and the final choice was difficult.

While we'll never know for certain, he might have chosen PSU if not for watching World Team Trials at CHA, seated next to McDonough, with both 57 kg finalists being Hawks.

Reactions: Sett1997
If Jason Nolf is recording instruction videos with Spencer, I suspect he’s a high character person. We should try to not judge people based on their actions immediately after competition.
Or least limit the scope of that judgment.

Reactions: goldenanimal
This is factually incorrect. Lee's final 3 were Iowa, PSU, and anOSU. It was widely known that Ohio State was 3rd, and the final choice was difficult.

While we'll never know for certain, he might have chosen PSU if not for watching World Team Trials at CHA, next to McDonough, with both 57 kg finalists being Hawks.
Yeah...like I said, "I could be way off base"....and I probably am.

We need to turn this 125 jinx around!

Reactions: El-Jefe

I totally think its fair game to criticize a wrestler for how they compete, or even what they say, do, or don't do before/after. But at the end of the day, we're just fans, and they are entire people with lives, quirks, and passions we can for the most part only imagine. It's just me, and to each their own, but you're not likely to see me say a wrestler lacks class as a person based soley on their media persona. Maybe PD3, and likely AJ--but in both, it's a bit more than just the court of public opinion at play, isn't it?
So you are saying Spencer lacks conviction?

Reactions: danoftw
yea, but that is 'business' :rolleyes:

I would say that AJ Ferrari lacks conviction...

...but only because the girl refused to go through with the case.

Oh hell...El-Jefe. You beat me to it!
I think PD4 beat you both to that joke . . . .

Especially when that person has a bunch of world and Olympic medals…and is a very large man.

The year is 2035.

PSU has just won its 14th straight team title.

This board is still obsessed with Spencer Lee.
As long as we're talking about Spencer getting ready for OTTs to kick off his quest for a third Olympic gold, it's all good.

If the deification of Spencer Lee the Hawkeye boards
The year is 2035.

PSU has just won its 14th straight team title.

This board is still obsessed with Spencer Lee.
If the deification of Spencer Lee on the Hawkeye boards was not so prevalent, perhaps it wouldn’t be so much fun to poke holes in that phony characterization.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT