ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Football, Franklin, etc.

I was never a big fan of Barbour.
She allowed Franklin to dictate terms and extend his contract coming off a losing year. USC wasn't going to hire him. She got played. She drugged her feet on Beaver Stadium remodeling which might be a problem if Franklin some how manages to win a couple of big games this year. Plumbing /pipe situation not ideal for sub freezing weather if they get home game in playoffs.
She was behind many schools on the NIL situation.
She did very little to market a sports dynasty with the wrestling program.
The situation is much better because the new AD is a sports fan not just an administrator.

Last edited:
She drug her feet on Beaver Stadium remodeling which might be a problem if Franklin some how manages to win a couple of big games this year. Plumbing /pipe situation not ideal for sub freezing weather if they get home game in playoffs.
That is quite the "if" statement. Franklin winning a big game doesn't seem possible.

I was never a big fan of Barbour.
She allowed Franklin to dictate terms and extend his contract coming off a losing year. USC wasn't going to hire him. She got played. She drug her feet on Beaver Stadium remodeling which might be a problem if Franklin some how manages to win a couple of big games this year. Plumbing /pipe situation not ideal for sub freezing weather if they get home game in playoffs.
She was behind many schools on the NIL situation.
She did very little to market a sports dynasty with the wrestling program.
The situation is much better because the new AD is a sports fan not just an administrator.
Check out her record at CAL. She spent money on the wrong things and ran the athletic department into the ground. She was a trendy but not wise choice for PSU. Let us not forget they most of us were pleased to see Dave Joyner leave the building. Little did we know that “Dear Sandy” would be worse. You are right! For the first time in 11-12 years we have an athletic director who is on the job with the requisite skills.

a good friend of mine Fletcher Carr got the job at Kentucky he seemed to have an open check book a few yrs later they closed the program not I am not saying it was his fault but I know he spent a lot of money!seems to me the AD was also at fault!

Can you imagine if we had had the Brian Ferentz situation - no chance Curley would have had the stones to nip that shit in the bud.
TBH, there aren’t many AD’s with the stones to nip the shit of HC coach with the clout that Joe, Kirk, or anyone else like them have/had. Imagine if Saban had an underperforming son, or Bowden, or ….

Last edited:
Reactions: Cambria Lion
TBH, there aren’t many AD’s with the stones to nip the shit if of HC coach with the clout that Joe, Kirk, or anyone else like them. Imagine if Saban had an underperforming son, or Bowden, or ….
Sammy Davis never tap danced as much as Michigan's AD did around Harbaugh. And that didn't involve any family members.

The idea of any AD standing up to Saban ... lol.

Wasn't it Ohio State's university president who said he hoped the football coach (Tressel) didn't fire him?

a good friend of mine Fletcher Carr got the job at Kentucky he seemed to have an open check book a few yrs later they closed the program not I am not saying it was his fault but I know he spent a lot of money!seems to me the AD was also at fault!
Is your period button broke? Definition of a Sentence: A sentence means a group of words that makes complete sense. It begins with a capital letter and ends with a full stop. It always contains a finite verb. A sentence may be a statement, question, exclamation or command.

Rose Bowl isn't a big game?

Bo Schembechler just spun in his grave.
If it spun whiney assed Bo out of a peaceful rest than it was a Top 10 statement.

Rose Bowl is a nice reward game, plus Penn State had the better team and should have won.

If we are now equating beating a 10-3 Utah team in the Rose Bowl to beating undefeated at the time OSU and/or UM then I guess bottom of the really good or top of the better than average is where are, and where we shall (at best) remain.

Reactions: jayridescarbon
Is this where I point out that Bo Schembechler is a zero-time national champion?

I mean shit, James Franklin has his flaws but the idea that he isn’t been good for Penn State is laughable
To Franklin's credit he has Penn State football sitting firmly in the number 3 spot in the Big10. With USC, Washington and Oregon coming into play he will need to elevate his program dramatically just to stay in that 3rd spot.

Is this where I point out that Bo Schembechler is a zero-time national champion?

I mean shit, James Franklin has his flaws but the idea that he isn’t been good for Penn State is laughable
Not to disagree wholly re: Franklin, but if a 4 team existed Paterno’s last decade he’d have made 2 of them. Lots of bad there too, but certainly the ceiling was higher.

Schembechler probably would have made 13?

This isn’t to say James isn’t or is a good coach and he’s good or bad for Penn State blah blah blah, but he hasn’t met a threshold that Joe did in a down decade, certainly not what Bo did.

If it spun whiney assed Bo out of a peaceful rest than it was a Top 10 statement.

Rose Bowl is a nice reward game, plus Penn State had the better team and should have won.

If we are now equating beating a 10-3 Utah team in the Rose Bowl to beating undefeated at the time OSU and/or UM then I guess bottom of the really good or top of the better than average is where are, and where we shall (at best) remain.
Well they’ve been there for about 30 years now. Like it or not, there’s a lot of evidence that points to that just being what the program is.

As for the part about being the better team than Utah in the Rose Bowl, isn’t that the point?

Not to disagree wholly re: Franklin, but if a 4 team existed Paterno’s last decade he’d have made 2 of them. Lots of bad there too, but certainly the ceiling was higher.

Schembechler probably would have made 13?

This isn’t to say James isn’t or is a good coach and he’s good or bad for Penn State blah blah blah, but he hasn’t met a threshold that Joe did in a down decade, certainly not what Bo did.
Sure. Ohio State also wasn’t the constant death machine that Urban Meyer had it at and Ryan Day, for all its faults, mostly kept it. And the college football landscape has changed DRAMATICALLY, in the last 10-15 years.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
To Franklin's credit he has Penn State football sitting firmly in the number 3 spot in the Big10. With USC, Washington and Oregon coming into play he will need to elevate his program dramatically just to stay in that 3rd spot.
Problem with Penn State fans, including myself, is since they have had basically 2 coaches in 57 years without NCAA limitations, not sure whether what Franklin has done is the program’s floor or its ceiling.

They could be Nebraska or LSU with whoever the next coach is. I don’t believe anyone who says they know which one either way.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Sure. Ohio State also wasn’t the constant death machine that Urban Meyer had it at and Ryan Day, for all its faults, mostly kept it. And the college football landscape has changed DRAMATICALLY, in the last 10-15 years.
Wait a minute.

In 2005 Joe beat an Ohio State program that was a machine the previous 4 years and would go on to blow out a good ND team in the bowl.

I’ll give you that the back half of Tressel wasn’t as strong but it’s not like they didn’t beat a Death Star OSU team either.

That would be the same Utah team that beat USC twice.

Nobody but you said it's the same as beating Ohio State or Michigan -- but some people think that Franklin has not and cannot win a big game.

And then some people, after seeing evidence otherwise, double down by inventing reasons to not give Franklin any credit whatsoever for anything.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Wait a minute.

In 2005 Joe beat an Ohio State program that was a machine the previous 4 years and would go on to blow out a good ND team in the bowl.

I’ll give you that the back half of Tressel wasn’t as strong but it’s not like they didn’t beat a Death Star OSU team either.
Ohio State went 8-4 in 2004. Great program under Tressell. But Meyer didn’t lose more than 1 regular season game in his entire tenure.

Reactions: donboy6499
That would be the same Utah team that beat USC twice.

Nobody but you said it's the same as beating Ohio State or Michigan -- but some people think that Franklin has not and cannot win a big game.

And then some people, after seeing evidence otherwise, double down by inventing reasons to not give Franklin any credit whatsoever for anything.
Not doubling down at all. If every year PSU goes 10-2 (losing to OSU and Mich) and wins a bowl game against a quality opponent they will have lost both big games they played in.

1982 beating Nebraska, Pitt and Georgia was winning a big game(s). They lost their 4th big game they played in that year, to Alabama.

In January 2023 a 2 loss PSU team beating a 3 loss Utah team in the Rose Bowl was not a big game. It is that simple.

Not doubling down at all. If every year PSU goes 10-2 (losing to OSU and Mich) and wins a bowl game against a quality opponent they will have lost both big games they played in.

1982 beating Nebraska, Pitt and Georgia was winning a big game(s). They lost their 4th big game they played in that year, to Alabama.

In January 2023 a 2 loss PSU team beating a 3 loss Utah team in the Rose Bowl was not a big game. It is that simple.
If we want to talk in technicalities, sure. The sport is also not even a little bit recognizable from 1982 to 2024.

Beating a quality team in the Rose Bowl isn't a big win? Sure. Like I said, some people will invent reasons to not give Franklin any credit for anything.

BTW, if PSU goes 10-2 with losses to Ohio State and Michigan, and then wins the next game, that's in the playoffs. Apparently that's not a big win either.

If we want to talk in technicalities, sure. The sport is also not even a little bit recognizable from 1982 to 2024.
There is no difference between a 1982 big game, a 1986 big game, a 1994 big game or a 2024 big game. Teams either step up and get it done or they don't.

Franklin has done an admirable job building PSU into the 3rd best Big10 program, but they are nowhere near to being on even footing with the other 2.

There is no difference between a 1982 big game, a 1986 big game, a 1994 big game or a 2024 big game. Teams either step up and get it done or they don't.

Franklin has done an admirable job building PSU into the 3rd best Big10 program, but they are nowhere near to being on even footing with the other 2.
There is, however, a difference in talent level of rosters. Paterno was a great coach. A better in game coach than Franklin. Don’t think most would argue with that. But most of the “big games” that Franklin has gone into he’s been severely outgunned.

Mind you, he was also .500 against Harbaugh pre-NIL/Connor Stallions.

Beating a quality team in the Rose Bowl isn't a big win? Sure. Like I said, some people will invent reasons to not give Franklin any credit for anything.

BTW, if PSU goes 10-2 with losses to Ohio State and Michigan, and then wins the next game, that's in the playoffs. Apparently that's not a big win either.
Once they start winning specific games that earn them a playoff spot they will be big wins. However, that hasn't happened yet so no the next game so far hasn't been a big win.

The Bo Schembechler big win definition would most certainly define a Rose Bowl win against a 3 loss Utah team a big win. Of course Bo never played for a national championship either, so I am uncertain Bo ever truly experienced a big game environment.

Im Out GIF

There is, however, a difference in talent level of rosters. Paterno was a great coach. A better in game coach than Franklin. Don’t think most would argue with that. But most of the “big games” that Franklin has gone into he’s been severely outgunned.

Mind you, he was also .500 against Harbaugh pre-NIL/Connor Stallions.
This is pretty much an objective conversation. Has Franklin's teams typically stepped up and won big games. The answer is "NO". Your offered argument isn't that he has indeed won big games, but rather explanations as to why it is unfair to hold his lackluster big game record against him.

El-Jefe' counter argument is that one time at band camp he did beat a 3 loss team that was good enough to win the 3rd or 4th best conference in the country and that single (stretch to ligament breaking lengths) big win is proof he wins big games.

This is pretty much an objective conversation. Has Franklin's teams typically stepped up and won big games. The answer is "NO". Your offered argument isn't that he has indeed won big games, but rather explanations as to why it is unfair to hold his lackluster big game record against him.

El-Jefe' counter argument is that one time at band camp he did beat a 3 loss team that was good enough to win the 3rd or 4th best conference in the country and that single (stretch to ligament breaking lengths) big win is proof he wins big games.
We are both saying than your argument is meaningless without context.

Fact: Franklin has a better record against Harbaugh than Joe did against Lloyd Carr.

Reactions: Cambria Lion
Fact: Franklin has a better record against Harbaugh than Joe did against Lloyd Carr.
And that has what to do with anything we are talking about? Stop it, you never scramble around looking for silly shyt to sling hoping to either make a hail mary point or move a goal post.

That is an interesting technique. Just wave off an argument as meaningless.

Simple yes or no question for you. Does Penn State football typically lose their "big" games?
This is pointless. You’re either an idiot for not understanding how context aids an argument, or you’re an asshole for intentionally ignoring it.

Enjoy the rest of the your Sunday.

And that has what to do with anything we are talking about? Stop it, you never scramble around looking for silly shyt to sling hoping to either make a hail mary point or move a goal post.
Says the guy who brought up 1982 out of thin air.

I'm done with this. Believe what you will.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT