ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers stuff, always fun ......

Panda-
You only named schools you lost to last year, so based on your answer I'm counting Michigan as a win for us.
So my answer to you is we're going to beat you...
By the way, I've played for a lot of coaches including hall of famers, I've never quite heard the question phrased "who's gonna get worse"
I said PSU in jest because I truly have no idea, beating you at your home would be a tall order for us...obviously
So my true answer to you respectfully is I think were going to upset someone who beat us last year, I have no idea who that is.

Sigh... you really can't follow this conversation, can you? For PSU to win more games next year, other teams to have to lose to Penn State. For PSU to get better, someone else is going to have to get worse. It's a simple concept that you might grasp if you tried, instead of just trying to play semantics games.

Sigh... you really can't follow this conversation, can you? For PSU to win more games next year, other teams to have to lose to Penn State. For PSU to get better, someone else is going to have to get worse. It's a simple concept that you might grasp if you tried, instead of just trying to play semantics games.
Sorry, it's not the way I was taught, I never had my coach tell me we're going to be better this year and win more games, followed by the need for definitive answers as to who specifically, I leave those predictions to the experts who tend to be wrong often. You play the games and see where it puts you, I said we're going to beat a team in the Big Ten that we lost to last year, that's my prediction.
Intangibles, injuries, sickness and officials have to much influence on games for me to be specific. You may beat MSU and lose to Illinois again, If you beat MSU and they don't lose again will they be worse?

Last edited:
You went 3-5 in the B1G and got blown out 4 times. Please stop.

Year 1 in the B1G East. Our qb was significantly injured in 3 of those 4 blowouts against the Big Tens best, leaving our offense dead in the water. 8-5 is not too shabby. We beat Michigan, beat Maryland, beat WSU on the road, and hammered UNC in our bowl game. We were a lot better at season end, than season beginning, and I'm counting on that improvement to carryover into '15. We learned a lot about ourselves and what we have to do to get better, and I think our players have worked hard to be the best they can be this year.

How perplexing is it that the Rutgers posters refer to themselves as 'fans' rather than Alums. While the highest percentage of posters on this entire board are Penn State Alums and die hard experts in all things Penn State -- not just football. Academics, WVB, even experts in household, travel and tourist items.

Perplexing....also to the 12" seats in The Little House, overloaded with 'fans' rather than alums......wannabees!!

First, sorry for not clarifying. Rutgers fan / alum / football letterwinner here. I guess that somehow increases my authority over other fans.... whatever.
Second, I live in Pennsylvania and most PSU fans I know have not attended PSU. If they did, it was a satellite campus. In fact, my sample size is so large that I am confident in saying that if you are an obnoxious PSU fan/alum, you most likely have never entered a classroom in State College.

First, sorry for not clarifying. Rutgers fan / alum / football letterwinner here. I guess that somehow increases my authority over other fans.... whatever.
Second, I live in Pennsylvania and most PSU fans I know have not attended PSU. If they did, it was a satellite campus. In fact, my sample size is so large that I am confident in saying that if you are an obnoxious PSU fan/alum, you most likely have never entered a classroom in State College.

Penn State '66 Alum, University Park campus a long time ago. I am visiting Ann Arbor and local areas now for my wife's family -- and see Michigan colors everywhere, by those who have never set foot in the Big House. I find it unfortunate that those who either complain too much on opponents boards or have fantasies of their own team's winnings are not tied to the school or program as alums. Too many times those who have to defend a program against absurd comments are responding to impatient 'fans', or whatever one will call them.

Sorry, it's not the way I was taught, I never had my coach tell me we're going to be better this year and win more games, followed by the need for definitive answers as to who specifically, I leave those predictions to the experts who tend to be wrong often. You play the games and see where it puts you, I said we're going to beat a team in the Big Ten that we lost to last year, that's my prediction.
Intangibles, injuries, sickness and officials have to much influence on games for me to be specific. You may beat MSU and lose to Illinois again, If you beat MSU and they don't lose again will they be worse?

If you beat MSU and MSU doens't lose another game, then somewhere down the line teams in the Big Ten are going to be worse by record. Everyone can't be 13-0 and 12-1.

Reactions: pandaczar12
If you beat MSU and MSU doens't lose another game, then somewhere down the line teams in the Big Ten are going to be worse by record. Everyone can't be 13-0 and 12-1.

Thank you, I am out of ideas on how to explain this.

I agree, but I was specifically asked to name them and I can't, nobody can

So essentially you think Rutgers will win more games, but you just have no idea against who? That's a rock solid argument!
Obviously it's someone from our conference on our schedule that beat us last year.
I'm a low single digit golfer, my next round at my home course I feel like I'm gonna better my last score...I have no idea what holes I'm going to make that happen on, I might just birdie the three toughest holes on the course, and make double on the easiest...it's called sports and competing.

I think it may not be a matter of who get's worse but who improves more or stays the same. This is where I think recruiting comes in to play. We were really constrained during the sanctions but O'Brien stabilized it and Franklin is taking it to a new level - we are not where OSU is but are better than most everyone else in recruiting in the Big10 - if the game day coaching performance improves which I have no doubt it will especially with better talent at hand we should start moving to another level. I think for Rutgers to take the next step they need to try to be like Boise St and find talent overlooked by others schools since they aren't a "National" brand not that PSU is but we have a very strong multi-state recruiting base.

Obviously it's someone from our conference on our schedule that beat us last year.
I'm a low single digit golfer, my next round at my home course I feel like I'm gonna better my last score...I have no idea what holes I'm going to make that happen on, I might just birdie the three toughest holes on the course, and make double on the easiest...it's called sports and competing.

Did your psychic tell you that?

Chances are you know which holes you are most likely to improve on, so you can easily make a prediction about it. Thanks for proving my point.

This is going to be my last post in this thread which begins with the word "Rutgers". Rutgers? I know I have contributed to the problem, and this post is adding to it, but this thing is never ending. I must ask all of you (myself included) this question.
wrong_with_you_people_office_space.gif

Man, this thread REALLY has morphed :) It was actually about the difference between "fan" types, alumni or not. Rutgers has more "t-shirt" types, that may change over time. Some "programs" have a large base of t-shirt types. FSU comes to mind. OSU is probably about 50-50. PSU is more like 90-10.
Keep in mind this is my "personal" opinion through observation.
Does that make me right? Probably :)

I would like to do some betting with real money with these Rutgers fans, about their season.

Who is man enough to lay down a few bets with me? RutgersAl?

This reminds me of an exchange I had with the neighbor down the street last year. I was wearing a PSU hat doing some work in the yard. He was wearing his ND hat while walking is dog. He made some comment about me 'still wearing that hat?' I simply said, "Jack, I wear this hat because I went to Penn State. You wear that Notre Dame hat because you went to Walmart."

Haven't heard a word out of him since...
Terrific comeback!! I'll remember that one.

I would like to do some betting with real money with these Rutgers fans, about their season.

Who is man enough to lay down a few bets with me? RutgersAl?

Put me down for $20 on ru sucking the burnt weeny sandwich.

NJ and the metro area is the issue that Rutgers can't escape. Have a great team that is on a huge winning streak, is first place in their conference and the media will churn up the locals. Otherwise crickets. Majority of their Alumni follow the same pattern. People are indifferent and have no time for losers or average. Too busy and self absorbed to just love a team no matter what. The folks posting on a college football message board in July are a minuscule sample of the population.

Last edited:
This reminds me of an exchange I had with the neighbor down the street last year. I was wearing a PSU hat doing some work in the yard. He was wearing his ND hat while walking is dog. He made some comment about me 'still wearing that hat?' I simply said, "Jack, I wear this hat because I went to Penn State. You wear that Notre Dame hat because you went to Walmart."

Haven't heard a word out of him since...

I come in peace. This is hilarious. Great response to use against ND fans or Duke basketball fans.

Rutgers may lose to Penn State this year and next year and the year after next, given the disparity in recruiting, but there is no logical reason to believe that this will go for infinity.
At some point,they will hire a great recruiter and will build a team that is much more competitive in the Big Ten East. Nothing lasts forever.

Rutgers may lose to Penn State this year and next year and the year after next, given the disparity in recruiting, but there is no logical reason to believe that this will go for infinity.
At some point,they will hire a great recruiter and will build a team that is much more competitive in the Big Ten East. Nothing lasts forever.

You are absolutely right. Eventually a down year for PSU will coincide with an up year for Rutgers. This will probably happen every 10-15 years. That actually just happened in 2014, fortunately the good guys still found a way to win.

Penn State '66 Alum, University Park campus a long time ago. I am visiting Ann Arbor and local areas now for my wife's family -- and see Michigan colors everywhere, by those who have never set foot in the Big House. I find it unfortunate that those who either complain too much on opponents boards or have fantasies of their own team's winnings are not tied to the school or program as alums. Too many times those who have to defend a program against absurd comments are responding to impatient 'fans', or whatever one will call them.
Michigan alum...class of 97...not going to re-read the thread to see how many other umich folk posted in this thread but your deduction that it is just a bunch of non-alumni is wrong

You are absolutely right. Eventually a down year for PSU will coincide with an up year for Rutgers. This will probably happen every 10-15 years. That actually just happened in 2014, fortunately the good guys still found a way to win.

Your analysis is incorrect, panda czar, because it's based on obsolete information. The Rutgers teams that PSU used to thump did not have the level of talent, depth, and facilities that we have today. Rutgers is getting the caliber of talent that Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt used to get. With Rutgers moving to the B1G, we have blown them into the weeds and generally win more then we lose when going up against them for recruits. Furthermore, recruiting Florida will continue to enable Rutgers to field a competitive B1G team. I see Rutgers and PSU on the same level for the foreseeable future.

Your analysis is incorrect, panda czar, because it's based on obsolete information. The Rutgers teams that PSU used to thump did not have the level of talent, depth, and facilities that we have today. Rutgers is getting the caliber of talent that Boston College, Syracuse, and Pitt used to get. With Rutgers moving to the B1G, we have blown them into the weeds and generally win more then we lose when going up against them for recruits. Furthermore, recruiting Florida will continue to enable Rutgers to field a competitive B1G team. I see Rutgers and PSU on the same level for the foreseeable future.

That's just absurd as last year's incoming class at both schools or the current 2016 Recruiting Class demonstrates. Rutgers is attracting talent on par with PSU at the top 2/3 of b1g Turd on all lists? Ummmm, NOT - I call bull$hit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT