ADVERTISEMENT

College Football reconsidered

DrJC

May 29, 2001
The bowl games have made something clear to me. We are in trouble, and I don't necessarily or exclusively mean PSU. I am referring to the state of college football. The influence of NIL, the more rampant opting-out, and especially the transfer portal are dramatically changing the quality and spirit of the game - at least from my experience. Please keep in mind that I am commenting upon my perspectives on the game. I understand many will have different opinions and they are welcome. Surely I am older than the majority of those fans who post or comment on this board. To me, college football is vastly different than professional football - or at least, it should be. I fear that difference may be narrowing, and in my opinion rather quickly. A little personal history might be helpful. My first experience of college football was my freshman year at PSU in 1962. PSU had many great players on that team - most notably all-American Dave Robinson and Roger Kochman. I became a dedicated PSU fan and a fan of college football in general. At that time, freshmen ball players had to wait until their sophomore year to play. My understanding for that policy stemmed from the notion that a young freshman player needed to have the time and opportunity to acclimate to a new environment and educational experience. Also, there was the need for first year players to physically gain more strength and weight in order to manage future well-trained and well-conditioned competitors. To me that appeared to be a sane policy that was designed to protect and develop new players both physically and emotionally. The state of the game at that time did not support any PSU players "opting out" of post season bowls, and transfers were quite rare and were accompanied by a provision that required waiting a year except in the most exceptional of circumstances. The vast majority of players completed four years at PSU then became eligible for the NFL. Yes, there were a few exceptions but my memory fails me as to who they may have been. What I am suggesting that in my opinion most players came to PSU to play for PSU, not to prepare themselves for the NFL - that was gravy. I am sure there are those of you who will see it differently. My perception might be a bit skewed! I'll own it.

Obviously things have changed, dramatically so in the past ten years. Opting out is all too common and many players enter the transfer portal for a host of reasons. Should this be permitted? I don't know, but it appears that this has become the new reality, as it seems we are are well on the path to accepting this brave new world of college football , until possibly this year. I am sensing (wishful thinking?) that there is slowly developing disenchantment with: 1) the proliferation of seemingly senseless bowl games often featuring 6-6 teams; 2) the opting out of players who wish not to threaten their market value in the NFL draft because of injury; 3) the increasing number of players entering into the transfer portal, often causing varying degrees of dismay and reorganization within their respective teams. The situation at FSU is emblematical of the chaos that has been gradually increasing and threatening college football as we (or at least I) knew it. And yes, the opting out of some of our defensive stars at PSU surely had an impact on the outcome of the Peach Bowl, with our stand-in defensive backs not up to the task of guarding the fine Ole Miss receivers. The huge blowout by Georgia adds fuel to the developing concern about the direction of college football. Let me not forget to mention the coaches who are equally part of the problem, as they move on to other positions while the team still has post season play. Where is their loyalty? What type of model are they showing to the players they coached?

So what to do? That is the question that is on the minds of many loyal fans, athletic directors, coaches, and even players. I wish I had an answer, but I don't . Nor does anyone else either. But I do hear rumblings - and that is hopeful. Permit me to present a wish pertaining to what I would like to see happen with college football. I would like to see college football again become a true college sport - a stand alone college sport that is not a nursery for the NFL. This does NOT dismiss the notion that many college players aspire to a career in the NFL. But if that goal interferes with the quality of college football - as it seems is more and more the case - then I have a problem and college football will suffer. And we saw that very interference with the opting out for the bowl games. It was a farce, a downright scam to see teams on the field for the bowl games that were not the same personnel as during the regular season. Bowl games may not be part of the regular season, but they ARE part of the total college football season. If we cannot field our best team, then let's stop with the pretense of the bowl games. Ole Miss did NOT play our best team.

I know and you know that money can be the great corruptor. In my opinion, the influence of money (NIL, opting out) will eventually destroy college football. I respect the fact that many will disagree with that statement. Okay, it is just my thought. Yes, I am pontificating, and I know it. Such pomposity on my part! But there are many professions that make far less money that are socially far more important: teaching; medicine; law enforcement; career military service; mental health; etc., etc. I am not naive - I realize the value and importance of money/income. But I also believe the strict pursuit of wealth can be destructive. I think it is time that some of the leaders in college athletics sit down and try to find a direction for college athletics, in this case football, that will preserve it as a sport yet respect the fact that many individuals have professional aspirations. Not an easy task, I think we would all agree.

The bowl games have made something clear to me. We are in trouble, and I don't necessarily or exclusively mean PSU. I am referring to the state of college football. The influence of NIL, the more rampant opting-out, and especially the transfer portal are dramatically changing the quality and spirit of the game - at least from my experience. Please keep in mind that I am commenting upon my perspectives on the game. I understand many will have different opinions and they are welcome. Surely I am older than the majority of those fans who post or comment on this board. To me, college football is vastly different than professional football - or at least, it should be. I fear that difference may be narrowing, and in my opinion rather quickly. A little personal history might be helpful. My first experience of college football was my freshman year at PSU in 1962. PSU had many great players on that team - most notably all-American Dave Robinson and Roger Kochman. I became a dedicated PSU fan and a fan of college football in general. At that time, freshmen ball players had to wait until their sophomore year to play. My understanding for that policy stemmed from the notion that a young freshman player needed to have the time and opportunity to acclimate to a new environment and educational experience. Also, there was the need for first year players to physically gain more strength and weight in order to manage future well-trained and well-conditioned competitors. To me that appeared to be a sane policy that was designed to protect and develop new players both physically and emotionally. The state of the game at that time did not support any PSU players "opting out" of post season bowls, and transfers were quite rare and were accompanied by a provision that required waiting a year except in the most exceptional of circumstances. The vast majority of players completed four years at PSU then became eligible for the NFL. Yes, there were a few exceptions but my memory fails me as to who they may have been. What I am suggesting that in my opinion most players came to PSU to play for PSU, not to prepare themselves for the NFL - that was gravy. I am sure there are those of you who will see it differently. My perception might be a bit skewed! I'll own it.

Obviously things have changed, dramatically so in the past ten years. Opting out is all too common and many players enter the transfer portal for a host of reasons. Should this be permitted? I don't know, but it appears that this has become the new reality, as it seems we are are well on the path to accepting this brave new world of college football , until possibly this year. I am sensing (wishful thinking?) that there is slowly developing disenchantment with: 1) the proliferation of seemingly senseless bowl games often featuring 6-6 teams; 2) the opting out of players who wish not to threaten their market value in the NFL draft because of injury; 3) the increasing number of players entering into the transfer portal, often causing varying degrees of dismay and reorganization within their respective teams. The situation at FSU is emblematical of the chaos that has been gradually increasing and threatening college football as we (or at least I) knew it. And yes, the opting out of some of our defensive stars at PSU surely had an impact on the outcome of the Peach Bowl, with our stand-in defensive backs not up to the task of guarding the fine Ole Miss receivers. The huge blowout by Georgia adds fuel to the developing concern about the direction of college football. Let me not forget to mention the coaches who are equally part of the problem, as they move on to other positions while the team still has post season play. Where is their loyalty? What type of model are they showing to the players they coached?

So what to do? That is the question that is on the minds of many loyal fans, athletic directors, coaches, and even players. I wish I had an answer, but I don't . Nor does anyone else either. But I do hear rumblings - and that is hopeful. Permit me to present a wish pertaining to what I would like to see happen with college football. I would like to see college football again become a true college sport - a stand alone college sport that is not a nursery for the NFL. This does NOT dismiss the notion that many college players aspire to a career in the NFL. But if that goal interferes with the quality of college football - as it seems is more and more the case - then I have a problem and college football will suffer. And we saw that very interference with the opting out for the bowl games. It was a farce, a downright scam to see teams on the field for the bowl games that were not the same personnel as during the regular season. Bowl games may not be part of the regular season, but they ARE part of the total college football season. If we cannot field our best team, then let's stop with the pretense of the bowl games. Ole Miss did NOT play our best team.

I know and you know that money can be the great corruptor. In my opinion, the influence of money (NIL, opting out) will eventually destroy college football. I respect the fact that many will disagree with that statement. Okay, it is just my thought. Yes, I am pontificating, and I know it. Such pomposity on my part! But there are many professions that make far less money that are socially far more important: teaching; medicine; law enforcement; career military service; mental health; etc., etc. I am not naive - I realize the value and importance of money/income. But I also believe the strict pursuit of wealth can be destructive. I think it is time that some of the leaders in college athletics sit down and try to find a direction for college athletics, in this case football, that will preserve it as a sport yet respect the fact that many individuals have professional aspirations. Not an easy task, I think we would all agree.
I wonder if SCOTUS Judge Cavanaugh who championed and - if I recall - wrote the majority opinion that opened this door to what I term "a chaotic mess", is even aware of what college athletics has become?

Reactions: dailybuck777
I wonder if SCOTUS Judge Cavanaugh who championed and - if I recall - wrote the majority opinion that opened this door to what I term "a chaotic mess", is even aware of what college athletics has become?
As a judge what would happen in the future is irrelevant. A judge is just supposed to follow the law. Especially a SCOTUS Justice.

If there are legal reforms needed it’s up to Congress to pass said legislation.

Don’t hold your breath.

Last edited:

Well times change. In the 60s snd 70s there were half the NFL teams so making a team was astronomically low. And they didn’t have billion dollar tv contracts or million dollar player contracts. Because of both the NFL is now the dream of all high school stars.

Yes, college football is at a critical crossroads. The next five years will see major changes. Some we can’t even foresee. But many programs will be shuttered or reduced to small school status.

The university system itself faces serious problems. They have inflated the cost too far. People are looking at alternatives. Slower population growth, online education, AI, internet entrepreneurship, vastly improved community colleges…. Lots of universities may go to the dust bin of history.

Change is inevitable. And it will be rapid in the next 5-10 years. Gonna be a wild ride.

I would like to see college football again become a true college sport - a stand alone college sport that is not a nursery for the NFL.
You might as well stop watching PSU and find an FCS team to be a fan of, because the genie is out of the bottle and FBS football will never, ever get back to being what you are looking for. It will get better when player contracts are implemented so the churn is more controlled and the players have to make some level of commitment on their side, but that's probably at least a few years off and still will not get things back to what you seek.

• Wow
Reactions: jayhawks65
You might as well stop watching PSU and find an FCS team to be a fan of, because the genie is out of the bottle and FBS football will never, ever get back to being what you are looking for. It will get better when player contracts are implemented so the churn is more controlled and the players have to make some level of commitment on their side, but that's probably at least a few years off and still will not get things back to what you seek.
I think that player contracts and player insurance might be an avenue worth examining more closely. Good thought, thanks

As a judge what would happen in the future is irrelevant. A fudge is just supposed to follow the law. Especially a SCOTUS Justice.

Don’t hold your breath.
well said. Universities raped college football players for years. Who can forget NFL players who graduated college and couldn't read or write? Places like PSu and tOSU were making north of $70m per year while kids got an opportunity for a college education and three squares. I used the term "opportunity" because lots of kids were discouraged from going into meaningful majors and told to take easy majors so they could concentrate on playing.

The pendulum has swung. Probably too far. But when the money starts to dry up, the big-money people will fix it. We just aren't there yet. The players will need to unionize. Once done, they can negotiate a collective bargaining agreement that helps the majority of players and the big money sponsors of college football

I believe it will be interesting what happens. You can say that you can’t put the genie back in the bottle, but with so much broken, the evolution might get there. The changes may be forced by how much it will cost to pay athletes and the too. If this doesn’t fund other sports anymore, why would the bottom half of the top conferences want to travel cross country for minor sports. I believe this leads to the re-migration to smaller conferences, and potentially walking away from big money football and basketball. Maybe they reduce money in basketball and football and join fcs? Those who follow the current path become a minor league nfl, that no longer have academic requirements, and the rest become what college football was. Maybe the differentiator becomes 50 scholarship teams that play one platoon football. You can say we are not going back, but we don’t know. What I do no is the appeal of college football is on the downside. Even with the pseudo playoff, the ratings may go up for 10 years, but the dollar investment has crossed over to no longer being worth it. It’s just going to take a while to realize.

Just the musings of another old guy

Reactions: OKLionFan
I agree with everything you said. When kids in high school are getting 7 figure NIL deals you've got to think that some sanity has to come back into the process. The donors are like kids in a candy store right now, throwing around money like water. But there will be failures where the millions spent will not produce a satisfactory return. This has already been manifested with the Texas A&M class of two years ago. They signed the highest ranked recruiting class of all time and probably the most expensive. Two years later, they've paid a $75 million buyout to get rid of their coach, many of the players have moved on, and they lost to a pretty mediocre Oklahoma State team in the Texas Bowl. The rate of money being spent on high school recruits isn't sustainable in my opinion. Will it fix all the problems we would like fixed? No chance. It may bring about a little more sanity until some needed reforms and regulation like player contracts can be implemented.

I agree with everything you said. When kids in high school are getting 7 figure NIL deals you've got to think that some sanity has to come back into the process. The donors are like kids in a candy store right now, throwing around money like water. But there will be failures where the millions spent will not produce a satisfactory return. This has already been manifested with the Texas A&M class of two years ago. They signed the highest ranked recruiting class of all time and probably the most expensive. Two years later, they've paid a $75 million buyout to get rid of their coach, many of the players have moved on, and they lost to a pretty mediocre Oklahoma State team in the Texas Bowl. The rate of money being spent on high school recruits isn't sustainable in my opinion. Will it fix all the problems we would like fixed? No chance. It may bring about a little more sanity until some needed reforms and regulation like player contracts can be implemented.
The first thing that could be done is the timing of the portal. It does not open for anyone until the cfb season is over. So this year, the portal opens on January 9th.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Not sure individual contracts would work. Ask a top high school recruit to sign a binding contract when a competitor doesn’t…. he is gone. No reason for him to sign away the flexibility that the portal offers.

Unless it is an NCAA rule…….which then would be challenged as a monopoly and restraint of trade.

Congressional action is probably the only hope but not sure they either could or would.

Make every scholarship a contract. You don't play, you are not injured, you lose all the balance of the scholarship. You can't act like a pro and claim the benefits of am amateur.

Keep in mind you are talking about 17 and 18 year old kids who have stars and maybe dollar signs in their eyes. Of course the damned agents don't help, as they are there to take the bucks and run.

Make every scholarship a contract. You don't play, you are not injured, you lose all the balance of the scholarship. You can't act like a pro and claim the benefits of am amateur.
The guys opting are leaving and don’t care about scholarships anymore.

The first thing that could be done is the timing of the portal. It does not open for anyone until the cfb season is over. So this year, the portal opens on January 9th.
Kids still won't play and risk injury if they're going to portal. The semester is over as is the obligation.

Doesn’t work with the school calendar, as many guys will want to be at the new school for spring semester, and that doesn’t allow enough time.

Doesn’t work with the school calendar, as many guys will want to be at the new school for spring semester, and that doesn’t allow enough time.
Take classes online until then. I don't think most football programs start winter conditioning until about 2/1. They should allow a few weeks to heal up mentally and physically. Classes start at PSU on 1/8.

Take classes online until then. I don't think most football programs start winter conditioning until about 2/1. They should allow a few weeks to heal up mentally and physically. Classes start at PSU on 1/8.
How would someone incoming start their classes at PSU on 1/8 if the portal to indicate someone wants to transfer doesn’t even open until 1/9? If someone takes a week or two to decide on their new destination, they are already too late.

Just doesn’t work, unless you really move up the date of the playoff.

How would someone incoming start their classes at PSU on 1/8 if the portal to indicate someone wants to transfer doesn’t even open until 1/9? If someone takes a week or two to decide on their new destination, they are already too late.

Just doesn’t work, unless you really move up the date of the playoff.
It could be made to work and something like this will happen. Did you watch the Georgia game?

As a judge what would happen in the future is irrelevant. A judge is just supposed to follow the law. Especially a SCOTUS Justice.

Don’t hold your breath.
Understand his role/authority. Just wonder if he understood how out of control NIL would become? It seems that the NCAA was rendered completely impotent in trying to put in restraints given their loss in the litigation. They now seem to be allowing carte blanche to the athletes.

Understand his role/authority. Just wonder if he understood how out of control NIL would become? It seems that the NCAA was rendered completely impotent in trying to put in restraints given their loss in the litigation. They now seem to be allowing carte blanche to the athletes.
The NCAA never truly had power. The more court cases against them the better. I don't think he understood what would happen (nor did anyone) but, to the point, he's not supposed to consider that. The ruling was correct.

Georgia had as many people out as FSU
It was a scrimmage--no one cares other than those wishing it was 1980-something
What did tickets to that game go for? First row midfield should have cost about $20. Bet they didn't.

What did tickets to that game go for? First row midfield should have cost about $20. Bet they didn't.
Supply and demand
If people are willing to pay stupid amounts for a bowl game then charge those amounts
People will learn

That’s always been the case, as if you don’t play and aren’t injured, you essentially quit the team and forfeit the scholarship at the end of the semester.

Kids don’t care about the scholarship just how much they’re getting paid.

That’s always been the case, as if you don’t play and aren’t injured, you essentially quit the team and forfeit the scholarship at the end of the semester.

Kids don’t care about the scholarship just how much they’re getting paid.
The kids opting out don't need a scholarship for the spring so they're not losing anything even if that happened.

Supply and demand
If people are willing to pay stupid amounts for a bowl game then charge those amounts
People will learn
That is fine. The bowl needs to make it known in advance that each team is decimated and the game quality will be low. I imagine there were a lot of PO'd people at the Georgia bowl game.

That is fine. The bowl needs to make it known in advance that each team is decimated and the game quality will be low. I imagine there were a lot of PO'd people at the Georgia bowl game.
I would think "Bowl" in the title of the game should be sufficient moving forward

I would think "Bowl" in the title of the game should be sufficient moving forward
Perhaps the only games taking place after mid-December should be the CF playoffs. With 12 teams instead of 4, the rest is a waste of time.

Perhaps the only games taking place after mid-December should be the CF playoffs. With 12 teams instead of 4, the rest is a waste of time.
Ideally 24 teams or a 12 team for each P5/G5. But yeah the rest is and has been moot.

college football always was, and has become even more of a business over the past few years. Look at PSU - seat "licenses" every year just to buy a ticket, ticket costs, scholar athlete fund raising, NIL fundraising, soon to be (I believe) fundraising for stadium upgrades, (for the real, real fan) away game expenses and bowl game expenses.
Now I know money isn't everything, but I have spoken to and read many fans who went to the Peach bowl who are really upset at the PSU team (in general) over the opt outs and the lackluster performance. Many have vowed never to spend money again on these kinds of experiences (we'll see). When, or if, PSU can't sell it's allotments of Bowl tickets, we'll really know the tide has turned.
I can understand the players desire for more of the proceeds from their sport. A college education no longer is enough. So the pendulum has shifted from college administrators driving the train to players in the driver's seat. The fans...have been left out, seemingly. Personally, I feel there is far too much money involved now. I read an article not long ago that highlighted some college players making more money that first or second year pros. That cannot be sustainable.
Personally, I will not spend money on away games or bowl games anymore..have in the past..but that's the past

Reactions: RickinDayton
college football always was, and has become even more of a business over the past few years. Look at PSU - seat "licenses" every year just to buy a ticket, ticket costs, scholar athlete fund raising, NIL fundraising, soon to be (I believe) fundraising for stadium upgrades, (for the real, real fan) away game expenses and bowl game expenses.
Now I know money isn't everything, but I have spoken to and read many fans who went to the Peach bowl who are really upset at the PSU team (in general) over the opt outs and the lackluster performance. Many have vowed never to spend money again on these kinds of experiences (we'll see). When, or if, PSU can't sell it's allotments of Bowl tickets, we'll really know the tide has turned.
I can understand the players desire for more of the proceeds from their sport. A college education no longer is enough. So the pendulum has shifted from college administrators driving the train to players in the driver's seat. The fans...have been left out, seemingly. Personally, I feel there is far too much money involved now. I read an article not long ago that highlighted some college players making more money that first or second year pros. That cannot be sustainable.
Personally, I will not spend money on away games or bowl games anymore..have in the past..but that's the past
Agree completely. Money will destroy the college game as it is currently doing with professional golf. I believe it is something that creative minds can resolve. I also believe it is wrong to the fans to field a team for a bowl game that lacks many of your outstanding starting ball players. That is a scam and should not be allowed. Thousands of players destined for the NFL played in bowl games and the vast majority received no significant career ending injuries. I am equally sure that probably a few did - but they could have received injuries playing pick-up basketball, skiing, skate boarding, whatever. It may well be that the only bowl games should be part of the championship playoffs. Maybe that will motivate players to stay???

He’s busy drinking beer. He likes beer.

• Haha
Reactions: MacNit2.0
I get what you’re saying, but I believe he was doing his job and interpreting laws not making them. The result is basically a professional sports league with virtually unlimited free agency/no contracts/no “salary” cap. I don’t believe a league can function under these conditions for very long.

I don’t watch or care about soccer, but assume even the European soccer leagues at least have players under contract. I have no idea if they have any other “competitive balance” rules like US leagues where they at least attempt some revenue sharing/rules around player contracts.

Thousands of players destined for the NFL played in bowl games and the vast majority received no significant career ending injuries.
If you told me you'd pay me millions of dollars in a week, but if I were to get in any sort of car accident I would forfeit it, I'd avoid getting anywhere near a car for the next week. Every day millions of people drive without getting into an accident. That doesn't change the equation, the averages aren't as relevant when you look at it from a single sample size perspective. The probability of an accident or injury might be low, but the impact of one is potentially life changing when you're talking about possible forfeiture of an amount of money that leaves you set for the rest of your life.

Reactions: LandoComando
I think it all started with the expansion to 4 teams for the CFP. Perhaps rightly so but I don't recall any year in which there wasn't at least one blowout to a team that arguably didn't belong. That strongly indicates to me that team No.5 is not in the hunt. So now they're going to twelve. Money, money, money. Is twelve enough? Nah, let's go to sixteen, we have to give the little guys a chance. Pretty soon you'll have an NCAAM type tournament but who cares? Look at the money. Money for everyone if you consider the side hustle in the office pool.

If the bowl games continue to make a profit for broadcasters, we will continue to have 3 dozen bowl games.

If bowl games begin to cease making a profit, their numbers will decrease.

It has NOTHING to do with in game attendance.

As with anything on TV, if you are not interested, then don't watch. But don't assume that because you think something is "unwatchable", that everyone agrees with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT