ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers stuff, always fun ......

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
As PSU we do not separate PSU grads from PSU fans. Their thinking and values are pretty much the same. OSU grads and fans are two VASTLY different groups. FSU is a lot like that. AND, so is Rutgers. I personally know a great many Rutgers grads and they are NOT the fans. Rutgers "students and faculty" were very opposed to Rutgers joining the Big 10. They had nothing against the Big only the "escalation" of sports at their University. I am not judging either side just commenting from personal knowledge. I'm sure there are always exceptions.
I'm really "curious" to see the Rutgers "fans", in OUR HOUSE ;-)

If we won like OSU has in recent memory I'm sure we'd have our share of t-shirt fans as well. They seem to come out of the woodwork when teams do well. Texas also has tons of them, but they've been quiet recently. :)

As PSU we do not separate PSU grads from PSU fans. Their thinking and values are pretty much the same. OSU grads and fans are two VASTLY different groups. FSU is a lot like that. AND, so is Rutgers. I personally know a great many Rutgers grads and they are NOT the fans. Rutgers "students and faculty" were very opposed to Rutgers joining the Big 10. They had nothing against the Big only the "escalation" of sports at their University. I am not judging either side just commenting from personal knowledge. I'm sure there are always exceptions.I'm really "curious" to see the Rutgers "fans", in OUR HOUSE ;-)
Some students & faculty opposed an escalation of sports at Rutgers? They can rest assured....they have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
If we won like OSU has in recent memory I'm sure we'd have our share of t-shirt fans as well. They seem to come out of the woodwork when teams do well. Texas also has tons of them, but they've been quiet recently. :)

I have to disagree, we have won as OSU (well not the NFL factory way), but we have won. To date, I have never witnessed the "t-shirt" fandom for PSU. I think they stay away since there are "no-names" on the uniforms. :)

Reactions: Nashville Lion
This is actually a pretty civil thread on the subject and not to far off. It drives Rutgers "fans" nuts. If we ever could get the faculty and all the students on board, the place would be rocking.
Even the move into the B1G and the research $$$ and the many other ways it helps the "non" sports, many faculty still oppose it.
Me, I'm not a grad, just a fan. lol

This reminds me of an exchange I had with the neighbor down the street last year. I was wearing a PSU hat doing some work in the yard. He was wearing his ND hat while walking is dog. He made some comment about me 'still wearing that hat?' I simply said, "Jack, I wear this hat because I went to Penn State. You wear that Notre Dame hat because you went to Walmart."

Haven't heard a word out of him since...

As PSU we do not separate PSU grads from PSU fans. Their thinking and values are pretty much the same. OSU grads and fans are two VASTLY different groups. FSU is a lot like that. AND, so is Rutgers. I personally know a great many Rutgers grads and they are NOT the fans. Rutgers "students and faculty" were very opposed to Rutgers joining the Big 10. They had nothing against the Big only the "escalation" of sports at their University. I am not judging either side just commenting from personal knowledge. I'm sure there are always exceptions.

I'm not sure who you personally know, but these people sound like nerds and maybe grads from 30 years ago. I.e. the Rutgers2000 group.

All of the Rutgers grads I know (20's and 30's) were excited about joining the Big Ten. They also attend games including the PSU game last year with me.

LdN

Reactions: Local Shill
This reminds me of an exchange I had with the neighbor down the street last year. I was wearing a PSU hat doing some work in the yard. He was wearing his ND hat while walking is dog. He made some comment about me 'still wearing that hat?' I simply said, "Jack, I wear this hat because I went to Penn State. You wear that Notre Dame hat because you went to Walmart."

Well done. Excellent response. :)

Superb!

Actually, I have hired many many Rutgers grads for many years. Just about ALL of them had no interest in "college sports". Rutgers in NOT a sports school. Plus both my son and daughter-in-law are Rutgers grads. Rutgers is a terrific educational University. Sports ? not so much. The students only have limited interest.
Of course there are exceptions, so it is not all. Just those in my experience.
I do expect that will change as Rutgers competes in the Big 10. There appears to be a growing interest.
In my opinion, as of now there are too many "t-shirt" fans :)
I doubt we will see many of "this" at the game this year.
My daughter lives in Jersey City and works in Manhattan. She has regular contact (work or socially) with at least a dozen Rutgers grads and she tells me she seldom heards Rutgers football mentioned when sports are discussed and when it has been mentioned, she is usually the one that brings up the topic. Last year she tried to get some PSU/Rutgers talk going at a late summer picnic and it went nowhere.

On the subject of RU athletics, if you're having a slow day try Googling "Rutgers NCAA Championships
You'll discover they have exactly one more than Virginia Tech. Men's Fencing in 1949.

National team championships[edit]
As of July 2, 2014, Rutgers has won 1 NCAA national championship:[50]

My daughter lives in Jersey City and works in Manhattan. She has regular contact (work or socially) with at least a dozen Rutgers grads and she tells me she seldom heards Rutgers football mentioned when sports are discussed and when it has been mentioned, she is usually the one that brings up the topic. Last year she tried to get some PSU/Rutgers talk going at a late summer picnic and it went nowhere.

the horror!! there are also PSU grads who don't follow PSU sports, as hard as it may be for you to believe. not everyone is into college sports. some people have other priorities, like attending their kids games, pro sports etc.

Reactions: Local Shill
RutgersAl what happened with the Youtube videos?

May be a good time to restart them with our game coming up.

the horror!! there are also PSU grads who don't follow PSU sports, as hard as it may be for you to believe. not everyone is into college sports. some people have other priorities, like attending their kids games, pro sports etc.
I have never been to an event where Penn State fans were present and the subject of Penn State football did not come up when other sporting events were discussed. My daughter has constantly told me, living in Jersey, and working in Manhattan, that there is very limited interest in Rutgers football. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It just helps confirm that no one cares about Rutgers football nationally, and few care inside the state. It's totally understandable when you have a program with nearly 150 years of futility and nothing but pipe dreams for the future. Actually it shows how smart Rutgers fans are. They know their football program is pathetic and they choose to not support it.

Last edited:
I have never been to an event where Penn State fans were present and the subject of Penn State football did not come up when other sporting events were discussed. My daughter has constantly told me, living in Jersey, that there is very limited interest in Rutgers football. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It is what it is. It just helps confirm that no one cares about Rutgers football nationally, and few care inside the state.

In New Jersey, football means the Giants, the Jets, and the Eagles. Then you have the large Penn State contingent and some interested in Notre Dame.

In New Jersey, football means the Giants, the Jets, and the Eagles. Then you have the large Penn State contingent and some interested in Notre Dame.
In other words, Rutgers football plays third fiddle in her home state to two out of state teams? Talk about an uphill climb to develop a brand.

Reactions: fairgambit
Reactions: step.eng69

You're completely and utterly delusional if you think there aren't more RU fans in New Jersey than fans of the other two schools you mentioned.

You're completely and utterly delusional if you think there aren't more RU fans in New Jersey than fans of the other two schools you mentioned.
Forgetting about Penn State since I am biased, I have no doubt there are more Notre Dame fans in the state of New Jersey than Rutgers fans. Rutgers has a very limited (almost non-existent) fan base for football. I've heard it from my daughter who has lived in Jersey City for 20 years. I hear it from friends who have lived there for 40 years. I observe it when I visit my daughter. I realize this is non scientific, but when I visited my daughter a year ago we took 2 days and, when we were out and about, counted all the bumper stickers, decals, hats, sweatshirts, etc. for both Rutgers and Penn State. Our travels took us throughout Jersey City and into Manhattan. If a family had multiple Penn State, or Rutgers items, we counted that family as "1". As I recall, over 48 hours, we counted 45 Penn State items and less than 15 for Rutgers.

Last edited:

You know what - I would actually bet money on that statement. But first...you have to make sure to define "fan". i.e. it should be someone who understands and attends the games, and follows the program to the point where they can have a 30 minute conversation at some level of detail about the goings on with the program.

Not looking for a back and forth but "all" is a strong word. We'll agree to disagree.

Alright, predominantly PSU is a better word.

Have owned property or lived in South Jersey for a good part of my life so I'm not just making this up.

As I usually say there's a big gap in NJ when it comes to "fans".

Ever since out of state tuition at PSU has become mostly unaffordable, Rutgers has attracted more and more NJ residents.

The fan base is building.

Additionally Rutgers is merging schools etc. Creating more of a main campus and "college" atmosphere.

It's a sea change from when I was attending PSU and PSU was the state university of PA/NJ

LdN

As I usually say there's a big gap in NJ when it comes to "fans".

Ever since out of state tuition at PSU has become mostly unaffordable, Rutgers has attracted more and more NJ residents.

The fan base is building.

Additionally Rutgers is merging schools etc. Creating more of a main campus and "college" atmosphere.

It's a sea change from when I was attending PSU and PSU was the state university of PA/NJ

LdN

Don't care if PSU gets all NJ fans, only their 4/5 star football players. Their fanbase will never be anything substantial.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
For what it is worth, Rutgers is being squeezed out of south Jersey. The Governor and Legislature basically divided the state in half for "academics" Rutgers in the north and Rowan in the south. this is an attempt to crete another major university that can compete for research dollars.
Rowan has NO sports presence.
Over time I think Rutgers can have a decent sports program, the state certainly has the talent. Actually, they need to hire a Coach that can recruit because kids will want to play for him. Rutgers as a brand can't recruit.
What is Greg Schiano doing these days?

For what it is worth, Rutgers is being squeezed out of south Jersey. The Governor and Legislature basically divided the state in half for "academics" Rutgers in the north and Rowan in the south. this is an attempt to crete another major university that can compete for research dollars.
Rowan has NO sports presence.
Over time I think Rutgers can have a decent sports program, the state certainly has the talent. Actually, they need to hire a Coach that can recruit because kids will want to play for him. Rutgers as a brand can't recruit.
What is Greg Schiano doing these days?
I think there is some school in Princeton NJ that competes pretty well for research dollars...if I could only remember the name of it

I think there is some school in Princeton NJ that competes pretty well for research dollars...if I could only remember the name of it

I"m pretty sure he's talking about state universities. Princeton, as far as I know, is not a state university.

Last edited:
This is actually a pretty civil thread on the subject and not to far off. It drives Rutgers "fans" nuts. If we ever could get the faculty and all the students on board, the place would be rocking.
Even the move into the B1G and the research $$$ and the many other ways it helps the "non" sports, many faculty still oppose it.
Me, I'm not a grad, just a fan. lol

It is strange. And I agree, it would drive me nuts too. I know more than a few Rutgers folk who think Rutgers should aspire to be like Princeton, Cornell, Lafayette and Lehigh --- from an athletic point of view!!!

God Bless the Patriot League, and yes, Rutgers' 74 games against Lehigh in football are their most against a single opponent. But Rutgers athletics should not be anywhere near Ivy League or Patriot League athletics.

The B1G is the perfect place for Rutgers to be --- big public universities with high-levels of research, that also compete at the highest level athletically.

Last edited:
Reactions: yesrutgers01

Rutgers has fans? Really...?

Forgetting about Penn State since I am biased, I have no doubt there are more Notre Dame fans in the state of New Jersey than Rutgers fans. Rutgers has a very limited (almost non-existent) fan base for football. I've heard it from my daughter who has lived in Jersey City for 20 years. I hear it from friends who have lived there for 40 years. I observe it when I visit my daughter. I realize this is non scientific, but when I visited my daughter a year ago we took 2 days and, when we were out and about, counted all the bumper stickers, decals, hats, sweatshirts, etc. for both Rutgers and Penn State. Our travels took us throughout Jersey City and into Manhattan. If a family had multiple Penn State, or Rutgers items, we counted that family as "1". As I recall, over 48 hours, we counted 45 Penn State items and less than 15 for Rutgers.

Jersey City is mostly populated with immigrants and transplants who want easy access to NYC. Not a place where I would expect to find lots of Rutgers fans, though we may have a few here and there.

Our grads are mostly scattered through the suburbs, though we have a good amount in Hoboken. Our gamewatch party in Hoboken has good representation there. What you witnessed is that PSU grads feel more proud of PSU than Rutgers grads are of RU. Our grads are there, they just aren't sporting our schools apparel.

That will change once alumni view consistent sports success they can be proud of. Last year was the start of something special, and I truly believe we are on the road to greatness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT