ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers stuff, always fun ......

Well, there's a school that's recognized as a football power in South Jersey that also happens to be strong academically. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

You can be specific.

By the way, first you said "football school", then you said "football power". There's a big difference.

Tbh, Rutgers' price tag and the fact that nobody brought up athletics at the accepted students' day is the reason I'm at Rutgers. Compare that with Pitt, where there was more talk about the Oakland Zoo and their 29572 football national championships then school (seriously, they did this at a visiting HS students' day).

If I wanted to go to a football school, there's a school to a state to the west that would have fulfilled that desire.

If you don't care about football schools why are you posting on a college football message board for a rival school?

Reactions: Global Fan
If you don't care about football schools why are you posting on a college football message board for a rival school?

Great point. I know where this mal is going with this. He's trolling.

He said that ru was cheaper than Penn State. Given that and his south Jersey reference, I take it he lives in Jersey. So, of course, ru is cheaper for him. He's going to ru instead of Penn State because ru is cheaper. Now he is trying to rationalize that Penn State is not right for him because of the emphasis on football. What a load of crap. Yes, football is big at Penn State, but University Park is a large campus with over 40,000 students from all backgrounds and offers something for everyone. Not every Penn State student is a rabid football fan, and those that are obviously can get much more out of their Penn State experience than football. Of course, Penn State also has a better academic reputation and is a stronger academic brand than ru. The football emphasis is a garbage excuse. And let's not forget that Penn State Football is one of the few major programs that actually emphasizes academics.

mal also ought to look back at the 2014 ru-Penn State football game in Piscataway. I was there. It was a night game and was sold out. ru implemented every stadium cliche that night to pump up the crowd (fireworks, loud music, the knight mascot driving a cart across the field while carrying an ru flag, etc.). I would say that ru emphasizes football on their campus and that football is important there. They don't get the results, but let's not pretend that the students don't care about football and instead study in the library on Saturdays while wearing ascots and tweed jackets with the goal of making themselves better citizens.

North Jersey is pretty much all PSU. There has been a small increase in RU activity within the last 10 years. Growing up here Rutgers is pretty far from everyone's mind. Even 10 years ago driving thru New Brunswick you wouldn't think Rutgers was all that. Pretty sad. But, they have done some cleaning up down there. Still sucks, and I never considering going to Rutgers. AgSci 98...couldn't be happier. But, before last years game RU noise was loud as I have ever heard from them. Which is not saying much. All week long senseless chatter. Like they accomplished something. Funny thing is haven't heard a word from them since the end of the 4th quarter. We Are!!

I've lived all over the country, but I lived in New Jersey my last three years of high school. ru was the default school for many kids in my high school. My parents pushed me to go to ru for awhile since it was in-state. I never took it seriously. For one thing, no one cared about ru, so why should I? Second, I didn't want to go where so many kids from my high school were going, especially since they weren't excited about it. Penn State was right for me in so many ways, including academically and aesthetically. There also was the pride factor. There was energy at Penn State. I loved the campus the minute I arrived for my first visit during that senior year of high school. My parents knew right then that there was no way I was going to ru.

After Penn State, I went to University of Illinois for graduate school. Then I was back in New Jersey for my first job out of school. Suddenly I was working with ru grads who reminded me of those kids from my high school who went to ru -- complete apathy for their school. One guy had a friend from high school who went Penn State. He spent several fall Saturdays when we worked together going to Penn State games in Happy Valley with his friend. Penn State was his team even though he went to ru.

I didn't want to go where so many kids from my high school were going

Uh huh, running away from your past which you were ashamed of.
medium-smiley-016.gif

Omaha.com columnist, Brad Dickson had this comment about the upcoming B1G Media Days:
* Big Ten Media Days begin Thursday. This is when Commissioner Jim Delany sits and stares at the Rutgers delegation asking himself "Why?"
Needless to say the the fans at Red Pitt have their Knighties all twisted and calling on all to "Kyle Flood" his in box! Email: brad.dickson@owh.com
He may need some outside love for his thoughtful humor!

Omaha.com columnist, Brad Dickson had this comment about the upcoming B1G Media Days:
* Big Ten Media Days begin Thursday. This is when Commissioner Jim Delany sits and stares at the Rutgers delegation asking himself "Why?"
Needless to say the the fans at Red Pitt have their Knighties all twisted and calling on all to "Kyle Flood" his in box! Email: brad.dickson@owh.com
He may need some outside love for his thoughtful humor!
English translation please!
Why would the commissioner say that after an 8-5 season and an ass kicking off UNC in a bowl win for the B1G

English translation please!
Why would the commissioner say that after an 8-5 season and an ass kicking off UNC in a bowl win for the B1G
Because 8-5 is a high water mark for Rutgers. It's the kind of season that in 20 years Rutgers will memorialize at halftime of a loss to Penn State. In October, 2034, one Rutgers fan will say to another "Hey Bernie. Member that great 2014 team...man we were good then. 8-5, nearly beat Penn State. Don't worry Bernie, we'll beat them sooner or later. Anyway, member, we went to that major bowl game....that there Lane somethin' bowl where we beat Alabama or somebody from the south. Ah, we were really good in them days Bernie. Don't let 2 decades a losin' git ya down. We got one of them top 75 recrutin' classes and next year we're gonna stay within 30 points of them Nittanys. I know it."

Last edited:
Nine bowl games in ten years doesn't suggest futility.
Now I understand how easy it is to make a bowl, and I know the bowls were not top tier, but it's far from futility.
That was all going to change entering the B1G with one of the hardest schedules in America, but we still managed a post season victory

I will not be disrespectful, I Speak what I consider the truth, PSU I believe will be good...we are better than you think, we have good players on both sides of the ball, we shall see where that puts us, I think it will be close,
I understand if you don't, but I think you're wrong

I went to the game at Rutgers last year, you have no concept of what home field advantage is. Ask Ohio State how tough it is to play at PSU at night. PSU would have beaten them if the refs didn't bail them out.

This is a pretty good thread because it does hit home with a lot of Rutgers fans. The overall lack of support by the school, state and many alumni is we discuss all the time and it is a problem. There is no denying that we are doing very badly(understatement) at most sports outside of FB.
WBB has been good for years but still not supported. MBB finally looks like we may bring in a class that can help us a lot but it has been pathetic. Wrestling, well, I am very happy and proud to say that we are doing well there and things will only get better. Everything else......forget about it. lol
We don't expect many of these things to be fixed over night. Things are starting to move in the right direction but it is a battle. It looks like some in the state are starting to push for funds, the B1G money, even at a partial share is much more then BE money. Playing the conference games on major networks(counting BTN) , the exposure BTN gives and Rutgers actually having a good year last year, only helps as more and more CFB fans in this area start to realize they can enjoy CFB and grab ahold of a local team to cheer for and attend games.
What we need next is for the other major money making sport(MBB) to make at least some noise.

The shame of it is that as we do get better. As we start to enjoy a bigger share of conference money. Our fanbase will grow but it will not be from within, alumni, faculty, etc...It will be fans who never attended this school. It will be a long slow climb for most of our sports. Football will have to carry them on their shoulders for a while. But it should get there...I know that as fan bases, Rutgers and PSU will always have some sort of dislike for each other but speaking for football only, it will be a lot of fun.

Question for some of you guys. For Rutgers, B10 is the best thing that ever happened to us. I recognize that for years they had always treated PSU as the red headed step child. But I see a lot of posts and hear a lot of your fans talk about wanting to get out of the conference, what is the real reason for that and what conference would be your preference?

So if Rutgers is going to get better, who is going to get worse? Indiana? Illinois? Even if you climb out of the cellar and over them, how much further could Rutgers possibly go?

II figure everyone is going to get better, only a loser bases their opinions on the opposition getting worse...
Climbing out of the cellar? We beat Michigan, Indiana and Maryland,

II figure everyone is going to get better, only a loser bases their opinions on the opposition getting worse...
Climbing out of the cellar? We beat Michigan, Indiana and Maryland,

If Rutgers gets better than a team, that team the is worse than Rutgers. This shouldn't be a difficult concept. If Rutgers wins more B10 games, other Big 10 teams lose more Big 10 games.

Congrats, you weren't under undeserved sanctions and you beat 3 B10 doormats!

I asked for no congratulations. You asked if RU gets better who is going to get worse, that's a direct question and not remotely the concept you refer to above. If you wanted me to come up with that answer ask me, who is RU better than.
Here's a concept for you, all teams can get better relative to their team the year before, will PSU be better than last year? I know Rutgers is going to be better…doesn't mean we're as good as you, but we're both better. You lost to a doormat, (your words) you really should respect teams, not belittle them…fan bases have nothing to do with young athletes on the field

I'm sorry your reading comprehension isn't so good. I put forth an extremely simple concept, and you can't seem to grasp it. For Rutgers to have a better B10 record, someone else will have to have a worse Big 10 record. You also apparently missed the "underserved sanctions" part of my post. Yeah PSU lost to some doormats, yes they should have beaten a few of the teams they lost to, but PSU was also playing with a depleted roster. Maybe in your world where everyone wins and everyone gets better, there are no doormats. But in the real world, there were always be teams at the bottom, and I think those young athletes can handle it, don't belittle them by thinking they can't.

No one knows if their team WILL be better next year, you can only hope. But since the unjust sanctions were lifted, and PSU has more scholarships... PSU is more likely to improve than most teams.

Good luck next season. I'm sure this is just the beginning of Rutgers becoming a perennial national power. We all know that this sort of thing happens all the time in CFB, a team puts 146 years of losing behind them and joins the nation's elite. It will probably help if Phil Knight went to you school... did he?

Reactions: fairgambit
So if Rutgers is going to get better, who's going to get worse? That's how you phrased the question? What if we beat a team that has a better conference record than they had last year, does that mean they got worse?
146 years of loosing is a bold face lie.

Nobody said anything about RU becoming perennial National power, I simply said we'll be better.
I think PSU will certainly be better…I'm not predicting wins or putting down PSU and and it's great history of football excellence, why are you attacking me. I simply said Rutgers will get better, where that puts us I don't know, it was good enough to win three conference games and whip an ACC team in a bowl…nothing more.

Nobody said anything about RU becoming perennial National power, I simply said we'll be better.
I think PSU will certainly be better…I'm not predicting wins or putting down PSU and and it's great history of football excellence, why are you attacking me. I simply said Rutgers will get better, where that puts us I don't know, it was good enough to win three conference games and whip an ACC team in a bowl…nothing more.

The Rutgers 'fans' on this thread -- wannabees !!

They wish to bring fantasy into the conversation about sports achievement, rather than recognize the overall academic and athletic accomplishments that relate to Graduation Rates for all students -- and especially the athletes. Penn State athletes graduate 4th in the country behind Stanford, Northwestern and Notre Dame, and the student body is close with the same stats.

I don't know if Rutgers can compete with this type of actual student achievement -- 'Success with Honor'.

Reactions: fairgambit
The Rutgers 'fans' on this thread -- wannabees !!

They wish to bring fantasy into the conversation about sports achievement, rather than recognize the overall academic and athletic accomplishments that relate to Graduation Rates for all students -- and especially the athletes. Penn State athletes graduate 4th in the country behind Stanford, Northwestern and Notre Dame, and the student body is close with the same stats.

I don't know if Rutgers can compete with this type of actual student achievement -- 'Success with Honor'.
The problem with most Rutgers fans I've encountered is they want to claim success before their team has achieved it. They want a heritage like Penn State, or Michigan, or Notre Dame, but they haven't earned it. Maybe someday they will, but until they do they should support their team and pay grudging respect to the other teams that have accomplished what they have not.

Reactions: michnittlion
So if Rutgers is going to get better, who's going to get worse? That's how you phrased the question? What if we beat a team that has a better conference record than they had last year, does that mean they got worse?
146 years of loosing is a bold face lie.

I know how I phrased it, and you are still grasping at straws.

I’m not sure what “loosing” is, so I can’t comment on whether or not it applies to Rutgers. But out of the 1312 football games Rutgers has played, they’ve only won 647 of them… and that’s playing in a terrible conference for many years.

Rutgers Athletes GSR score was 86 for 2014, that puts us 3rd in the Big Ten, PSU may very well be ahead of us, that would put you in the top two and that's a great accomplishment.

There's no need to criticize the academics of a fellow conference member, all of the Big Ten schools have great academics, be proud of it

Rutgers Athletes GSR score was 86 for 2014, that puts us 3rd in the Big Ten, PSU may very well be ahead of us, that would put you in the top two and that's a great accomplishment.

There's no need to criticize the academics of a fellow conference member, all of the Big Ten schools have great academics, be proud of it

83 actually, but with a 20% gap from the federal numbers. How do you reconcile that?

Apologize about the spelling of losing.. my bad., if you consider an over all record of 500 over 150 years futility, so be it, it certainly isn't good, but it ain't futile either.
It's my hope, not my delusion, we will continue to get better and have some good years in the future. I'm sure PSU will!

Apologize about the spelling of losing.. my bad., if you consider an over all record of 500 over 150 years futility, so be it, it certainly isn't good, but it ain't futile either.
It's my hope, not my delusion, we will continue to get better and have some good years in the future. I'm sure PSU will!

0.500 is the definition of futile. That's like running a business and just breaking even.

You also need to remember that Rutgers hasn't been playing in the SEC.

0.500 is the definition of futile. That's like running a business and just breaking even.

You also need to remember that Rutgers hasn't been playing in the SEC.

But ru played in the first football game ever! That's like 500 wins right there! Piscataway is the birthplace of college football! Whoo-hoo!

:confused:

Last edited:
But ru played in the first football ever! That's like 500 wins right there! Piscataway is the birthplace of college football! Whoo-hoo!

:confused:

So not only have they been mediocre for their entire existence, they've been at it longer than anyone else.

Tbh, football sucking at Rurgers is kind of a tradition. I mean that in an endearing way. We're like Purdue or Columbia in that sense.

Reactions: pandaczar12
I'm sorry your reading comprehension isn't so good. I put forth an extremely simple concept, and you can't seem to grasp it. For Rutgers to have a better B10 record, someone else will have to have a worse Big 10 record. You also apparently missed the "underserved sanctions" part of my post. Yeah PSU lost to some doormats, yes they should have beaten a few of the teams they lost to, but PSU was also playing with a depleted roster. Maybe in your world where everyone wins and everyone gets better, there are no doormats. But in the real world, there were always be teams at the bottom, and I think those young athletes can handle it, don't belittle them by thinking they can't.

No one knows if their team WILL be better next year, you can only hope. But since the unjust sanctions were lifted, and PSU has more scholarships... PSU is more likely to improve than most teams.

Good luck next season. I'm sure this is just the beginning of Rutgers becoming a perennial national power. We all know that this sort of thing happens all the time in CFB, a team puts 146 years of losing behind them and joins the nation's elite. It will probably help if Phil Knight went to you school... did he?
Fyi...if you knew who you were arguing with you might not be so quick to dismiss his opinions on concepts in sports...you might even thank him for educating you. Not my place to expose him but plenty of people know who he is on these boards. I'll give you a hint...he is a former 1st round pick who had a 10+ year pro career. He wasn't a Rutgers football player so it might not be so easy to guess but I think he understands sports concepts.

Fyi...if you knew who you were arguing with you might not be so quick to dismiss his opinions on concepts in sports...you might even thank him for educating you. Not my place to expose him but plenty of people know who he is on these boards. I'll give you a hint...he is a former 1st round pick who had a 10+ year pro career. He wasn't a Rutgers football player so it might not be so easy to guess but I think he understands sports concepts.

For the record, he seems fairly level headed for a Rutgers fans, and I've even liked one of posts in another thread. But I don't care who you think he is, or what you think he knows about football. I dismiss his opinion on this issue because it makes no sense and his arguments are riddled with basic spelling and punctuation errors. It's not even a sports concept, it's just 6th grade math. For Rutgers to have a better B10 record, someone else will have to have a worse Big 10 record. That is just common sense. But since you think he is educating me, maybe you can explain how if Rutgers has more B10 wins, another B10 team won't have more B10 losses? Unless you or him have multiple PhD's in highly technical fields, I doubt there is anything you can teach me about math.

For the record, he seems fairly level headed for a Rutgers fans, and I've even liked one of posts in another thread. But I don't care who you think he is, or what you think he knows about football. I dismiss his opinion on this issue because it makes no sense and his arguments are riddled with basic spelling and punctuation errors. It's not even a sports concept, it's just 6th grade math. For Rutgers to have a better B10 record, someone else will have to have a worse Big 10 record. That is just common sense. But since you think he is educating me, maybe you can explain how if Rutgers has more B10 wins, another B10 team won't have more B10 losses? Unless you or him have multiple PhD's in highly technical fields, I doubt there is anything you can teach me about math.
A worse record relative to what? They may have a better record because they lose to us and beat you.

Yeah, I believe that. A former NFL player who didn't go to Rutgers is coming here to educate us on a Rutgers-related thread. That makes perfect sense.

Reactions: pandaczar12

Let's look at that .500 career Rutgers record in a relative sense.

The 8 schools that Rutgers has played most often in football are:

Lehigh (74 all-time games), Lafayette (72), Princeton (71), Stevens Tech (49), Columbia (49), NYU (43), Syracuse (43), and Colgate (42)

Outside of Syracuse, all those schools play minor-league football. Yet, despite them being Rutgers' most common historical opponents, Rutgers is still only 24 games over .500 despite playing 1312 career football games.

Seriously, look at this list of Rutgers all-time opponents. VERY VERY minor-league historic schedule. A legitimate school would have at least a .600 career win percentage vs. these folk.

FWIW, Penn State's career win percentage is at .687, and OUR most 8 frequently played schools are Pittsburgh (93 all-time games), Syracuse (71), WVU (59), Penn (47), Temple (43), Bucknell (40), Navy (39), and Maryland (38). Yes, an Ivy League and Patriot League team are there, but definitely more legit overall.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/r/rutgers/opponents.php
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/p/penn_state/opponents.php

The man is saying if Rutgers has a better Big Ten record, someone else will have a worse Big Ten record, I'm asking worse relative to what, last year? Every team we beat may have a better record than they had last year. It doesn't mean a damn thing but one loss.
Imagine a coach saying we just got beat by Penn St, now we have a worse record! LOL
Or is it that teams you beat don't have worse records.

ADVERTISEMENT