ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers stuff, always fun ......

Jersey City is mostly populated with immigrants and transplants who want easy access to NYC. Not a place where I would expect to find lots of Rutgers fans, though we may have a few here and there.

Our grads are mostly scattered through the suburbs, though we have a good amount in Hoboken. Our gamewatch party in Hoboken has good representation there. What you witnessed is that PSU grads feel more proud of PSU than Rutgers grads are of RU. Our grads are there, they just aren't sporting our schools apparel.

That will change once alumni view consistent sports success they can be proud of. Last year was the start of something special, and I truly believe we are on the road to greatness.
I like you rutgersal, or at least I don't dislike you. Unlike most Rutgers fans I've observed, you are generally supportive without being obnoxious. I usually jump on Rutgers football at every opportunity because of the conduct of other Rutgers fans, but because you have been decent in your visits here, I try to reduce my vitriolic posts to, perhaps, 90%. For me, that will take quite an effort.

Jersey City is mostly populated with immigrants and transplants who want easy access to NYC. Not a place where I would expect to find lots of Rutgers fans, though we may have a few here and there.

Our grads are mostly scattered through the suburbs, though we have a good amount in Hoboken. Our gamewatch party in Hoboken has good representation there. What you witnessed is that PSU grads feel more proud of PSU than Rutgers grads are of RU. Our grads are there, they just aren't sporting our schools apparel.

That will change once alumni view consistent sports success they can be proud of. Last year was the start of something special, and I truly believe we are on the road to greatness.
This Hoboken?
Picture1.jpg

Read much? B1G is highest level athletically. Every school in the B1G, like it or not, COMPETES at the highest level.

Read much? The B1G as a whole may be highest level, but Rutgers sure as hell isn't. Rutgers addition, in fact, took the B1G down a few pegs as far at the conference's competitive level.

Read much? B1G is highest level athletically. Every school in the B1G, like it or not, COMPETES at the highest level.
As I said in another thread, Rutgers athletics is an embarrassment to the conference. In the Directors Cup standings, which measure athletic excellence, Rutgers finished 104th. The next worst BigTen school was Purdue at 61. 104th is an absolute embarrassment. Rutgers finished behind such powers as Coastal Carolina, Dayton, Albany, Illinois State, New Hampshire. As much as I despise Rutgers, even I had no idea they were that pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
As I said in another thread, Rutgers athletics is an embarrassment to the conference. In the Directors Cup standings, which measure athletic excellence, Rutgers finished 95th. The next worst BigTen school was Purdue at 61. 95th is an absolute embarrassment. Rutgers finished behind such powers as Coastal Carolina, Dayton, Albany, Illinois State, New Hampshire. As much as I despise Rutgers, even I had no idea they were that pathetic.

I'm certainly no expert, but #95 does not appear to be very good. Searching Google, I found this for 2014-2015:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/DIJune25.pdf

It has Penn State at #8 and ru at #104. Again, I am no expert, but #8 seems to be pretty good. #104 seems to be pretty bad. Am I wrong?

I'm certainly no expert, but #95 does not appear to be very good. Searching Google, I found this for 2014-2015:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/DIJune25.pdf
It has Penn State at #8 and ru at #104. Again, I am no expert, but #8 seems to be pretty good. #104 seems to be pretty bad. Am I wrong?
Bob, you are correct. My numbers were not the final standings. My gawd...they are even more pathetic than I thought. (I corrected my post..thanks.)

Last edited:
I started this thread, BUT I do believe Rutgers will "gradually" get better in athletics. The Big 10 will make that happen. As of now they are MANY MANY years away. IF they want to shorten the road they REALLY need to hire some Coaches that can recruit in FB and BB. Kids will play for a name coach $$$$$$$$

Bob, you are correct. My numbers were not the final standings. My gawd...they are even more pathetic than I thought. (I corrected my post..thanks.)

Thanks. The conclusion I draw is that Penn State is competing at a high level, but ru is not.

Reactions: fairgambit
I started this thread, BUT I do believe Rutgers will "gradually" get better in athletics. The Big 10 will make that happen. As of now they are MANY MANY years away.

I believe humans will be living on Keplar 452b when this happens.

I started this thread, BUT I do believe Rutgers will "gradually" get better in athletics. The Big 10 will make that happen. As of now they are MANY MANY years away. IF they want to shorten the road they REALLY need to hire some Coaches that can recruit in FB and BB. Kids will play for a name coach $$$$$$$$
I believe the opposite. They will never get better. They are in over their heads in this conference. They will always be bottom feeders. I guess that's OK. Someone has to be.

Carli Lloyd and Todd Frazier, who from PSU made sports news this summer?
I love the bad karma you're creating for yourselves, the game this fall will come down to the 4th quarter, amazing for a team that can't compete.

I love the bad karma you're creating gir yourselves, you're literally going to cry like babies when you lose to RU this fall

Don't count on it. Saw the same crap last year from your nutjob fans. How Rutgers was going to crush PSU, win by 4 touchdowns, kill Hackenberg, etc., etc.

I love the bad karma you're creating for yourselves, the game this fall will come down to the 4th quarter, amazing for a team that can't compete.
Two points. First. You saying it does not make it so. I think I will predict Rutgers will be down 35 at the half. It will only be that close because Rutgers "competed". Second, all the bad karma in the world could not prevent another Rutgers loss to Penn State.

What happened to cry like babies when we lose? Took you a few minutes to smarten up and backpedal, huh?

Best shot to beat PSU was last year and they "Rutgerred" it. Their fans know exactly what that means. They will be thrilled and lucky if they beat Indiana this year, on the road.

A couple athletes starring after leaving ru does not equate with ru having a great athletic department. Don't be stupid.

Actually, Ray Rice was your big news story and you sick puppies still worship him. Talk about a brainwashed cult!

Actually, Ray Rice was your big news story and you sick puppies still worship him. Talk about a brainwashed cult!

Excellent point. The #2 reason ru made the news this past year was their sick fans at last year's Penn State football game, causing their president to make a public apology.

Reactions: Blueblood4eva
Two points. First. You saying it does not make it so. I think I will predict Rutgers will be down 35 at the half. It will only be that close because Rutgers "competed". Second, all the bad karma in the world could not prevent another Rutgers loss to Penn State.
I will not be disrespectful, I Speak what I consider the truth, PSU I believe will be good...we are better than you think, we have good players on both sides of the ball, we shall see where that puts us, I think it will be close,
I understand if you don't, but I think you're wrong

I believe the opposite. They will never get better. They are in over their heads in this conference. They will always be bottom feeders. I guess that's OK. Someone has to be.
I appreciate your thoroughgoing consistency with respect to PSU's newly anointed "rival."

I will not be disrespectful, I Speak what I consider the truth, PSU I believe will be good...we are better than you think, we have good players on both sides of the ball, we shall see where that puts us, I think it will be close,
I understand if you don't, but I think you're wrong

You seem like one of the more reasonable posters from Rutgers, but you have to admit that there are a lot of lunatic posters on the Rutgers rivals site who obsess over everything Penn State. Really shows all signs of a little brother complex.

You seem like one of the more reasonable posters from Rutgers, but you have to admit that there are a lot of lunatic posters on the Rutgers rivals site who obsess over everything Penn State. Really shows all signs of a little brother complex.
I agree. I gave him a like for his post which, for me is the equivalent of farting in a new car. Sometimes, you just need to do it, but it should not be a routine practice.

Of that there is no doubt. My mantra on our board is prepare for PSU to be very good, you have to be that before you're great again.
Our challenge is to try and keep pace, that's where I become delusional because I think we can. We have a half dozen draft picks next year, and more that are underclassmen.
I get attacked on my board for saying you guys will be good and get better, I like to focus on us and what we need to do to keep up.
I still think we'll surprise you with our talent!

Too much hubris in this thread.

That is why I put the ru athletic supporters on my Ignore List.

You signed up ten years ago and just logged your first post. What did you get banned for before the software conversion? Trolling?

This is a pretty good thread because it does hit home with a lot of Rutgers fans. The overall lack of support by the school, state and many alumni is we discuss all the time and it is a problem. There is no denying that we are doing very badly(understatement) at most sports outside of FB.
WBB has been good for years but still not supported. MBB finally looks like we may bring in a class that can help us a lot but it has been pathetic. Wrestling, well, I am very happy and proud to say that we are doing well there and things will only get better. Everything else......forget about it. lol
We don't expect many of these things to be fixed over night. Things are starting to move in the right direction but it is a battle. It looks like some in the state are starting to push for funds, the B1G money, even at a partial share is much more then BE money. Playing the conference games on major networks(counting BTN) , the exposure BTN gives and Rutgers actually having a good year last year, only helps as more and more CFB fans in this area start to realize they can enjoy CFB and grab ahold of a local team to cheer for and attend games.
What we need next is for the other major money making sport(MBB) to make at least some noise.

The shame of it is that as we do get better. As we start to enjoy a bigger share of conference money. Our fanbase will grow but it will not be from within, alumni, faculty, etc...It will be fans who never attended this school. It will be a long slow climb for most of our sports. Football will have to carry them on their shoulders for a while. But it should get there...I know that as fan bases, Rutgers and PSU will always have some sort of dislike for each other but speaking for football only, it will be a lot of fun.

Question for some of you guys. For Rutgers, B10 is the best thing that ever happened to us. I recognize that for years they had always treated PSU as the red headed step child. But I see a lot of posts and hear a lot of your fans talk about wanting to get out of the conference, what is the real reason for that and what conference would be your preference?

Haha, conveniently left Ray Rice off your list of beloved Rutgers alum, huh? Jackass.

For every Carli Lloyd you have a moron like Alexi Lalas so simmer down now. Simma down nah!

Haha, conveniently left Ray Rice off your list of beloved Rutgers alum, huh? Jackass.

For every Carli Lloyd you have a moron like Alexi Lalas so simmer down now. Simma down nah!

There are other proud ru moments like the student who terrorized a gay student to the point that the gay student committee suicide. How about the basketball coach who verbally and physically abused players?

Reactions: Alphabets
Tbh, Rutgers' price tag and the fact that nobody brought up athletics at the accepted students' day is the reason I'm at Rutgers. Compare that with Pitt, where there was more talk about the Oakland Zoo and their 29572 football national championships then school (seriously, they did this at a visiting HS students' day).

If I wanted to go to a football school, there's a school to a state to the west that would have fulfilled that desire.

Tbh, Rutgers' price tag and the fact that nobody brought up athletics at the accepted students' day is the reason I'm at Rutgers. Compare that with Pitt, where there was more talk about the Oakland Zoo and their 29572 football national championships then school (seriously, they did this at a visiting HS students' day).

If I wanted to go to a football school, there's a school to a state to the west that would have fulfilled that desire.

And that football school would be?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT