ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St. Lehigh

Crookham won on the strength of two TDs, versus none for Nageo. Nageo did okay on the mat, though he couldn't turn Crookham, but the bout was won/lost from neutral.

Kasak got a win wrestling up a weight, but as others have stated, not convinced his 3rd period gas was due to an "adrenaline dump".
Right, Crookham turned a Nagao shot attempt into a TD of his own by out wresting him on the mat. That’s what I meant.

If I hear one more person say that Steen has improved I am going to poke my eyes out with a steak knife. He lost again! again! He will not qualify for nationals, if he does he will score ZERO points. Let Davis wrestle!!!
Might as well go for the ears so you don’t have to hear it anymore. 🤣

Maybe ... just maybe ... Cael would really prefer to redshirt Davis, but still hopes to score something at 125.
Since he cant be sure that Howard will be able to get back to where he needs to be, and since Steen had so far looked to be a good bit improved from last year .. maybe this was an attempt to see if Steen really is a viable alternative this year.
If so, that doesnt look good based on today.
Steen is still Steen. He has improved a bit but today showed not enough to qualify the weight or beat 5-3 type wrestlers. I just don't understand it. The greatest dynasty in all of modern sports cannot win at 125 😂. It's like having the world's greatest football team for 5 straight years but always averaging 20 yards per punt from the punter 😂

If I hear one more person say that Steen has improved I am going to poke my eyes out with a steak knife. He lost again! again! He will not qualify for nationals, if he does he will score ZERO points. Let Davis wrestle!!!
Or something like.... "You're spoiled. You are not allowed to critique. So shut up and sit down."

Or something like.... "You're spoiled. You are not allowed to critique. So shut up and sit down."
We're ALL spoiled but we also need to admit that the 125 Pound curse is real. None of us are doubting Cael, so I am really really REALLY trying to figure out why we wrestled our 3rd best kid today? Or maybe, since by now we can all agree it's a curse, Steen went out, and beat Robbie and Davis in the room these past two weeks then went out and magically morphed back into Steen version 1 today 😂

Reactions: Thenightking
By the way I am not upset at the Nagao match: right now Crookham is just flat out better in neutral. Aaron has 3 months to figure it out and I think they will.

The thing that bugged me was 125.

Reactions: Thenightking
The nagao disappointment is similar to the post all star truax disappointment imo. you guys hyped them up in your heads to be guys they’re not (like iowa fans with franek).

they’re wrestling exactly how they’ve always wrestled, which is really good. truax lost to a guy that should have been 2-0 against him heading in. nagao lost to an elite recruit who’s already beaten a guy way better than anybody nagao’s ever beaten.

fun style, great wrestler who will have a lot of success for you guys. just lost to a better wrestler who is well suited to his style today. no reason for concern.

Dude, Steen HAS improved. You would know that if you watched the Journeyman and Black Knight tourneys. That said, don't think anyone is saying he's the best option at 125 for PSU this season.

It's unclear why Steen got the call against Lehigh, but sounds like there was a late change in plan.

Dude, Steen HAS improved. You would know that if you watched the Journeyman and Black Knight tourneys. That said, don't think anyone is saying he's the best option at 125 for PSU this season.

It's unclear why Steen got the call against Lehigh, but sounds like there was a late change in plan.
I have to believe someone was ill.

Reactions: USPMAN
Steen is still Steen. He has improved a bit but today showed not enough to qualify the weight or beat 5-3 type wrestlers. I just don't understand it. The greatest dynasty in all of modern sports cannot win at 125 😂. It's like having the world's greatest football team for 5 straight years but always averaging 20 yards per punt from the punter 😂
But you’d have the world’s greatest football team???

Reactions: Raw Daddy
Somewhat related question -- did PSU take a serious look at Rune Lawrence, the younger brother of the Lehigh 174?
I would guess no due to the recruiting of the Mirasola brothers. That being said will be interesting to see how Lawrence does

Reactions: royboy
Right, Crookham turned a Nagao shot attempt into a TD of his own by out wresting him on the mat. That’s what I meant.
Crookham has always been tough to score on and his strength makes him dangerous on his counters if his opponent is in bad position. He fought Vito off a few times because of his strength. I didn't see today's match but have watched Crookham over the years to know his style against a quality opponent.

I would guess no due to the recruiting of the Mirasola brothers. That being said will be interesting to see how Lawrence does
As I recall, PSU showed some interest and CS may have paid a visit to Lawrence. But once the Mirasola brothers came on board, Lawrence likely wasn't much of a priority for PSU and it made sense for him to look elsewhere.

He can say that all he wants, but I don't think any of us will truly believe it until that time comes and he's not there. We'll see......
There will be serious NIL thrown his way to do something nobody has ever done or will do… serious Franklin’s will on the table. He’s a smart kid. Playing hard to get. An Ira will deliver.

Van Ness might be out as he is making his way down in weight for the us open in 2 weeks. Just my guess. If that is the case you might not see him for Hofstra next Sunday either. As for the others no idea.
I did find it funny that on AB bobble head day he didn"t wrestle

If you want a reference for what Mitch did to Logan. Ramirez beat him 8-5 and Heller beat him 7-1 this year. Transitively property I know but ... here's all the times he's given up bonus in his career.

Other than that, other than a pin by a Princeton guy (I always just attribute that to being big moved, only other time he got pinned in his career was by Mark Hall when he was a true freshman), the only person to bonus him the last two years was by Carter and they were both majors (though one was 22-8 with 2 point takedowns)

Mitch is absolutely demoralizing some very good wrestlers. I'm very curious how he does against Top 10 guys but I imagine his pace is going to be overwhelming for anyone.

Maybe you and Cael don't see eye to eye when it comes to Steen.
Maybe. Except then there's those two matches where both Howard and Davis beat Steen, Davis by major or 10-3 or whatever. Like I said maybe Steen beat them both in the room this week, nobody knows.

Most folks feel like someone either got sick or missed weight, as the decision seemed to be a last minute thing.

At the pre-match social, Cody indicated that Levi twisted his knee at tournament before NWCA matches but refused to MF due to new rules of taking a loss on his record. Continuing to wrestle through the tournament may have caused more extensive injury and recovery time. It seemed like the Lehigh wrestler was shooting toward the injured leg and maybe Levi was just being more cautious than usual.

We're ALL spoiled but we also need to admit that the 125 Pound curse is real. None of us are doubting Cael, so I am really really REALLY trying to figure out why we wrestled our 3rd best kid today? Or maybe, since by now we can all agree it's a curse, Steen went out, and beat Robbie and Davis in the room these past two weeks then went out and magically morphed back into Steen version 1 today 😂
Well Cael did say that wrestling Steen today at 125 wasn't the plan. Hopefully it means Davis gets a shot. As others have said with what we have coming in if he's the best wrestler for the weight let him wrestle. That said, Cael obviously knows what he's doing,

If you want a reference for what Mitch did to Logan. Ramirez beat him 8-5 and Heller beat him 7-1 this year. Transitively property I know but ... here's all the times he's given up bonus in his career.

Other than that, other than a pin by a Princeton guy (I always just attribute that to being big moved, only other time he got pinned in his career was by Mark Hall when he was a true freshman), the only person to bonus him the last two years was by Carter and they were both majors (though one was 22-8 with 2 point takedowns)

Mitch is absolutely demoralizing some very good wrestlers. I'm very curious how he does against Top 10 guys but I imagine his pace is going to be overwhelming for anyone.
He has already faced a Top 10 guy - Bearclaw

Well Cael did say that wrestling Steen today at 125 wasn't the plan. Hopefully it means Davis gets a shot. As others have said with what we have coming in if he's the best wrestler for the weight let him wrestle. That said, Cael obviously knows what he's doing,
Agreed. I wonder what happened?

After Hofstra, his next 3 matches will be 8 Olguin, 11 Gilcher, and 3 Amine.

That stretch will tell us a lot about this question. Especially Amine, who we know will try to wrestle as if the mat were coated in tar.

I would rather get insight on these things then worry about when the roster is going to be posted.

Reactions: bwfight
Heard something interesting today about Truax. He’s a San Diego guy and I knew his high school coach when I lived there. (Marty Nellis @Rancho Buena Vista). I think Truax is the first guy from the San Diego section to start for Penn State. Poway has put out some decent wrestlers in past years but most of them ended up staying in the West.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT