ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St. Lehigh

Crookham won on the strength of two TDs, versus none for Nageo. Nageo did okay on the mat, though he couldn't turn Crookham, but the bout was won/lost from neutral.

Kasak got a win wrestling up a weight, but as others have stated, not convinced his 3rd period gas was due to an "adrenaline dump".

I believe OP is referring to when an offensive attack is defended and it devolves into a scramble. Scrambles are a form of mat wrestling... didn't see match, just read summary and it sounded like Crookham won all the scrambles (and Nagou did most of the shooting).

I can see not wrestling Braeden (if Caels long term plan is to RS him) but sitting Robbie gives me a bad feeling like something is wrong health wise with him.
I think Robbie's remaining development is 90% mental. Granted 2 years off due to significant physical injuries that actually span 3-4 years is brutal. He may never again fully trust his own body and will always be just one match away from what is most likely the end of his career the next time. How can that not tournament even the most mentally strong?

IMO he may be another year away from approaching the point where he can put some of this in the rear view mirror. It would be great if Lilledahl can shirt on the back of a revitalized Robbie Howard.

I think Cael held him back because he clearly isn't there yet, and yet one more loss against a 30ish ranked kid simply wouldn't help him mentally. Since it's true he really hadn't started going at it again until this summer, he still has a bit of a mountain to climb. I kind of would rather see the pressure taken off until next year, and go with Davis sooner rather than later just for that factor alone.

In either case we probably will see R16 at best from 125 this year. Why rush RH back on what is now obviously a very long road back? I don't see some sort of switch flipping in the next 30 days, but if it does, I will be (and am) a card carrying member of the RH fan club.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
I believe OP is referring to when an offensive attack is defended and it devolves into a scramble. Scrambles are a form of mat wrestling... didn't see match, just read summary and it sounded like Crookham won all the scrambles (and Nagou did most of the shooting).
Crookham has elite scrambling capabilities. He looks extremely comfortable there and buys his time looking for the 'moment' to reverse fortunes. In more than one situation Aaron (who also possesses very strong scrambling talents) had a positional advantage, only to lose it to a very patient and tenatious Crookham. It was both frustrating and a bit amazing to watch. The rest of Crookham's game is very solid, but his scrambling ability is what separates him, and how he beat Vito as well. He is going to give everyone fits. Everyone that is except Vito whom I think will learn his lesson and win the next time out.

Reactions: Callthestall
He reminds me a lot of Nolf. He's always moving forward, lots of half shots to get reactions, kind of seems to be toying with his prey and he's not afraid to mix it up and give up a takedown. Hopefully he doesn't have any type of hard cut and can stay fresh all season, it will mean he's in peak condition at Nationals while other guys have been starving themselves for months.
I can't imagine MM has much of a cut if any to make 165. I think most would even argue he's undersized if anything for the weight.

Would the powers to be at Rec Hall please return to posting the wrestlers names on the scoreboard during their respective match. I don't always hear the names when they take the mat and I drive the poor guy next to me batty asking him.

It's also more difficult as the program only lists the visitors probable starters.

I know, you all will say I should have studied the Roster better over the summer.

Good match, it was fun.

Now I feel better.

Good night Mrs. Calabash wherever you are!
Study roster over the summer??

I thought it just came out last week

I don't quite understand redshirting Davis if he is the best. LL is coming next year and unless the plan is to redshirt him too?

Again, Cael said Steen was not the plan for Lehigh so something happened.

Reactions: Raw Daddy
Echo'd by Gibbons on BTN. Middle of the back lock makes it illegal apparently. Moving the lock to one or the other side makes it not so.
Yeah, I had to watch the BTN broadcast to understand that one--was not aware at all.

Edit: I asked my brother who's a ref, and he supplied this admittedly limited illustration from one of his materials:

Last edited:
Well done Nathan! I enjoyed the write-up.
giphy.gif

I think Robbie's remaining development is 90% mental. Granted 2 years off due to significant physical injuries that actually span 3-4 years is brutal. He may never again fully trust his own body and will always be just one match away from what is most likely the end of his career the next time. How can that not tournament even the most mentally strong?

IMO he may be another year away from approaching the point where he can put some of this in the rear view mirror. It would be great if Lilledahl can shirt on the back of a revitalized Robbie Howard.

I think Cael held him back because he clearly isn't there yet, and yet one more loss against a 30ish ranked kid simply wouldn't help him mentally. Since it's true he really hadn't started going at it again until this summer, he still has a bit of a mountain to climb. I kind of would rather see the pressure taken off until next year, and go with Davis sooner rather than later just for that factor alone.

In either case we probably will see R16 at best from 125 this year. Why rush RH back on what is now obviously a very long road back? I don't see some sort of switch flipping in the next 30 days, but if it does, I will be (and am) a card carrying member of the RH fan club.
There is a lot of truth to what you say here. I'd rather not mention names, but I know of another good wrestler who is having problems getting mentally prepared due to a period of time away from competition. When you get on the mat to wrestle in competition, you have to let go of any feelings of caution and just go for it with the intention of winning. Anyone who has competed knows what I am talking about. When you get into a mental state where you are wrestling to not lose, you just don't perform. Guys like DT, Nolf and Bo were just amazing in that regard.

There is a lot of truth to what you say here. I'd rather not mention names, but I know of another good wrestler who is having problems getting mentally prepared due to a period of time away from competition. When you get on the mat to wrestle in competition, you have to let go of any feelings of caution and just go for it with the intention of winning. Anyone who has competed knows what I am talking about. When you get into a mental state where you are wrestling to not lose, you just don't perform. Guys like DT, Nolf and Bo were just amazing in that regard.
I dont think Robbie is wrestling not to LOSE, maybe wrestling not to GET HURT, but yes, its a terrible thing to recover from, he’s been through so much.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
This is the type of dumb ass comment that should be ridiculed. Am I missing something here or is this person just an asshole?
No, thats just an asshole. Davis defeated Steen by major decision, while Robbie won also. Steen, as we all agree, has improved from last season. Caels plan was to start either Robbie or Davis, and at the last minute he went with Steen, and had said that was not the plan. I stated ALL OF THESE things as fact, and had opined that I wondered what happened, as had other posters.

This assholes response was to make a comment calling me someones wife. Yep. Asshole, it checks out.

Reactions: dbldoofus
Damn. I had not had a chance to watch Truax's match. Is he reading these boards and got pissed off about being labeled unaggressive? He was all action in that match.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Nearly every year we have a December swoon dual, I suspect there was an even blend of tough post-Thanksgiving cuts and recovery from sickness. That said There was no need to give Leigh a 40-0 drubbing. Check that 37-3. We should have a few shutouts this year that will just seem like pilling on. This is no doubt the strongest team we have ever had.

Levi had the most curious performance despite the never in doubt pull away victory. My bet, he was sick recently.

I thought NILgao wrestled just fine. Crookham is the real deal. What has he beaten 4 top 10 wrestlers now as a Freshman in his first month? If anything I see Crookham distancing himself from Aaron as the season goes on. That's ok with me, Aaron is still top 4 material and we are lucky to have him. I see Crookham having one more loss this year, and that will be against Vito, who wrestled very sloppily against him the last time.
Re Levi, I thought earlier in this thread someone mentioned Levi had tweaked his knee.

I thought NILgao wrestled just fine. Crookham is the real deal. What has he beaten 4 top 10 wrestlers now as a Freshman in his first month? If anything I see Crookham distancing himself from Aaron as the season goes on. That's ok with me, Aaron is still top 4 material and we are lucky to have him. I see Crookham having one more loss this year, and that will be against Vito, who wrestled very sloppily against him the last time.
Not tying to pick on you, but I'm gonna flag you for that nickname on Nagao. He's on record saying NIL was not the primary motivator for him, and I happen to think he can flip the result on Crookham. He created plenty of opportunity to score in that match, and he has the best technicians in the sport to help him solve the "finishing" puzzle.

The NCAA Wrestling 2023-24 and 2024-25 Rules Book has a good photo of the move on page 93 of the PDF version (page 90 0f the paper version). You can download the PDF for free and I like having one handy for the inevitable rules questions that pop up periodically. Here is the link:

I scored a Carter, Nick Lee, and RBY, with help from @hlstone
We had a blast!!! Roar is the mayor of Rec Hall. Nerf is the coolest kid scooting around. Hockeygod has sophisticated taste. Tennessee is still looking for a ride. And Paul is still looking for a Bo bobblehead and is the best driver in the world!!!

How about Browny driving in from the Burg just to help out selling merchandise for the PSWC and to buy Paul and I a couple of waters.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT