ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St. Lehigh

Kerk vs. Taylor
Not much action 1:30 in then TD Kerk.
Esc Taylo 3-1. Action stopped. Kerk injured.
Action resumes. Period ends 3-1. Kerk goes down gets quick esc. 4-1. Kerk powers through for TD 7-1. Kerk goes over minute rt. Period ends. They go neutral. Taylor in, heavy hips kerk and gets around for td 10-1. Kerk rides him out 11-1 with rt.

Last edited:
Did JB mention any reason why Steen went at 125, Van Ness out at 149, and AB out at 197?

Did JB mention any reason why Steen went at 125, Van Ness out at 149, and AB out at 197?
Van Ness might be out as he is making his way down in weight for the us open in 2 weeks. Just my guess. If that is the case you might not see him for Hofstra next Sunday either. As for the others no idea.

Reactions: jtothemfp
He can say that all he wants, but I don't think any of us will truly believe it until that time comes and he's not there. We'll see......
Sounded like this was pretty common knowledge within the program. The topic was initiated by JB

I know Cael limited ABs duals cause the cut to 184 was bad last year. Is it hard for 197 as well now?

Van Ness might be out as he is making his way down in weight for the us open in 2 weeks. Just my guess. If that is the case you might not see him for Hofstra next Sunday either. As for the others no idea.

That has to be a tough 6 pounds to cut.
I think Zain is much better at 70Kg.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Let Davis go
Odd Cael mentioned Howard getting benefit of doubt yet didn’t go today

Good match. Crookham out wrestled Nagao on the mat and that was the difference. Levi wasn’t himself but he’ll work his way back soon enough; I’m not worried about him. Bartlett looked sloppy early yet dominated. Kasack appeared to have an adrenaline dump up a weight in his first bout in Rec Hall. Win. Cochran didn’t have the horsepower against Beard but loved his aggression! Steen has improved. Mitchell, wow!! Carter, Bernie and all Greg rolled. Props to Lehigh to bringing it as usual.

Good match. Crookham out wrestled Nagao on the mat and that was the difference. Levi wasn’t himself but he’ll work his way back soon enough; I’m not worried about him. Bartlett looked sloppy early yet dominated. Kasack appeared to have an adrenaline dump up a weight in his first bout in Rec Hall. Win. Cochran didn’t have the horsepower against Beard but loved his aggression! Steen has improved. Mitchell, wow!! Carter, Bernie and all Greg rolled. Props to Lehigh to bringing it as usual.
Crookham won on the strength of two TDs, versus none for Nageo. Nageo did okay on the mat, though he couldn't turn Crookham, but the bout was won/lost from neutral.

Kasak got a win wrestling up a weight, but as others have stated, not convinced his 3rd period gas was due to an "adrenaline dump".

Reactions: mcpat
How spoiled we’ve become
Yes I realized that's a spoiled take lol...still I am wondering what happened with Robbie and Braden? Were they sick? Why did we run out our number 3 guy? Also I just felt the first five weights were frustrating bouts. Yes that's spoiled. I'm sorry I am just frustrated starting every dual meet behind 3-0.

Reactions: jsn4388
Am I on the Hawkeye report? Everyone in here crying like a bunch of Hawk fans… It’s the first dual of the year… Relax.
Agreed. It's a spoiled take. For five years we start every dual behind 3-0. I honestly think Davis or Howard would have won

Reactions: Franklinstheman
Maybe ... just maybe ... Cael would really prefer to redshirt Davis, but still hopes to score something at 125.
Since he cant be sure that Howard will be able to get back to where he needs to be, and since Steen had so far looked to be a good bit improved from last year .. maybe this was an attempt to see if Steen really is a viable alternative this year.
If so, that doesnt look good based on today.

Now some are sounding like the delusional HR idiots. We will not win every match in duals thru out the season. We may not have 3-5 NC. We should run away with team title. Thats would be a great team if so.
If all make it to nationals somewhat healthy, we do have a special group of young men who “could” make history. I’ll be happy if each of these guys wrestles their best at nationals and let the chips fall as they may.

Entertaining match today. LU came to wrestle and were competative in most bouts.
Ranked D1 wrestlers are typically tough and competitive and makes for good matches. Because our guy doesn't dominate doesn't mean our guy was off. Give credit to a worthy apponant for giving his best. All-blowout matches are boring and this was not that, thankfully.

Another thing to consider, if Davis is our best guy and he surely looks like it, I imagine Cael wants to save Iowa as one of his dates in case you want to keep his redshirt for any reason. Similarly you want him to get a shot at an AA (so either DeAugustino or Kaylor would work)

There was no need to use a date against Seymour who is tough but not a NQ I believe. I believe Braeden wins this no issue as he’s beaten two ranked guys but we wouldn’t learn anything from it.

Just listened to press conference after match. With Cael, Bernie and MM. They asked if SVN and AB were out because of senior nationals. He flat out said “no.” He talked about PSU not normally at their best after Thanksgiving break and made me think maybe SVN and AB missed weight? Also, they asked about Steen going today and he said “that wasn’t the plan” until this morning.

Reading between lines, either some guys sick or had to much Thanksgiving food

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT