ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

GableBeer

Nov 21, 2023
(MOD - this topic deserves it's own thread)

Okie St. board is saying theres a lot of smoke ab DT being an option for them. Big if true. He could flip their program around fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellers is now reporting that a private jet is flying from State College to Oklahoma City today. His tweet suggests David Taylor is the target.

Just out of curiosity, what has become of Coleman Scott? He left Chapel Hill presumably to transition Okie St wrestling from the John Smith era to the Coleman Scott era.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUer1989
DT to Ok St would be a huge pick up. I am all for parity and he clearly knows how to coach. I would be bummed, but it was bound to happen. Other wrestlers are coaching elsewhere already, I believe this would be the first head coaching job, if it happens.

It’s hard for me to believe that a top tier wrestling school would offer the head coaching position to someone with zero college coaching experience. Casey Cunningham would be a more logical choice. He would have no trouble transitioning to a head coaching position. That would also be a perfect opportunity for David Taylor to replace Casey. The selfish me hopes neither leave State College.

It’s hard for me to believe that a top tier wrestling school would offer the head coaching position to someone with zero college coaching experience. Casey Cunningham would be a more logical choice. He would have no trouble transitioning to a head coaching position. That would also be a perfect opportunity for David Taylor to replace Casey. The selfish me hopes neither leave State College.
I don't think it matters as much as people think. Cael basically started doing head coaching work from the minute he got on the staff at Iowa State. The politics and adminsitrative side of things, schools hire people to do that and DT as a person who's run several businesses and finances can deal with it.

I feel like college coaching experience is wildly overrated in a sport like wrestling. And it’s not like Taylor hasn’t spent years around the program understanding how things work.

I don't think it matters as much as people think. Cael basically started doing head coaching work from the minute he got on the staff at Iowa State. The politics and adminsitrative side of things, schools hire people to do that and DT as a person who's run several businesses and finances can deal with it.
I wish I could like this post more than once.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
DT to Ok St would be a huge pick up. I am all for parity and he clearly knows how to coach. I would be bummed, but it was bound to happen. Other wrestlers are coaching elsewhere already, I believe this would be the first head coaching job, if it happens.
Christian Pyles gave his thoughts the other day on the Ok St coaching situation and Coleman Scott. I thought he hit the nail on the head that everyone assumed Coleman would have the job by now and the fact that it hasn’t been announced, makes it seem like they are looking outside the program. My first thought was maybe DT or JB and that maybe they were seeing if either were retiring to make a run at them before committing to Coleman.

DT would be huge for Oklahoma State. It wasn’t long ago the go to club for developing high level wrestlers was Strittmatter/Young guns. Now it’s DT/M2 and Askren/AWA.

Would love to see DT's future with PSU and I'd hate to see him leave Happy Valley, (including the M2 pipeline) but this would be interesting and I'd like to see what he can develop there. IMO this would be the most impactful hire since Cael came to PSU. His loss to Brooks had more implications than I realized if this happens.

If DT is hired........any guesses what his staff will look like? Who does he bring with him? Does he keep any OSU staff for continuity and link to tradition, or totally clean house? I envision an entirely new, young, energetic, and talented staff (and PSU linked). Good for college wrestling even if it hurts PSU a bit.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
Christian Pyles gave his thoughts the other day on the Ok St coaching situation and Coleman Scott. I thought he hit the nail on the head that everyone assumed Coleman would have the job by now and the fact that it hasn’t been announced, makes it seem like they are looking outside the program. My first thought was maybe DT or JB and that maybe they were seeing if either were retiring to make a run at them before committing to Coleman.

DT would be huge for Oklahoma State. It wasn’t long ago the go to club for developing high level wrestlers was Strittmatter/Young guns. Now it’s DT/M2 and Askren/AWA.
Have Nolf and Nickal open N2. Problem solved. Recruits can take a scooter or walk to visit Penn State.

Beating the dead horse here the 100th time but what angered Cael also was he was seeing roster damage. The Evan Wick fiasco was awful, him getting into Cal Poly no issues made it worse. Sandy didn’t lift a finger to helps him. Sandy being completely behind the 8 ball for NIL also cost PSU Suriano. Both of those pieces at the time looked like it could tangibly cost them the 2022 national championship. Similarly RBY’s “I’m done” statement related to his frustrations with not being allowed to even participate in his own deals for NIL but luckily that was fixed in time.

Reactions: Ski
Just out of curiosity, what has become of Coleman Scott? He left Chapel Hill presumably to transition Okie St wrestling from the John Smith era to the Coleman Scott era.
I’m sure Coleman Scott had an attorney represent him for his move to Okie St (to be the next head coach). If they shove him aside, Coleman is gonna get a sizable buy-out.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
I’m sure Coleman Scott had an attorney represent him for his move to Okie St (to be the next head coach). If they shove him aside, Coleman is gonna get a sizable buy-out.
Oklahoma State will 100% without fight make Coleman whole if they go through with hiring DT. There's no way they'll just tell him "sucks to suck" while pissing off fans, the team, donors and John Smith.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Oklahoma State will 100% without fight make Coleman whole if they go through with hiring DT. There's no way they'll just tell him "sucks to suck" while pissing off fans, the team, donors and John Smith.
Maybe so but the damage to his reputation and his embarrassment will be immeasurable.

I have a hard time believing John is not in the loop at the least on this hire.

I think they kicked the tires on Cael, potentially made an offer to Casey, and are talking to DT. Willie also said they made an offer to Burroughs in the past.

Would put my money on Coleman in the end if none of the others take it. Which at this point DT seems the only one left.

I think it’s more than possible that JS brought Scott over, likely with a raise, without any admin involvement at all.

As in, “come be my assistant and it gets you a leg up”, and they both believed it to be true without clearing that thought with admin.

Reactions: Ski
DT leaving makes the least amount of sense to me of any of the guys the AD could have been seeing in State College. I could see Cael leaving before DT.

Now that I’ve said this, I fully expect DT to take the job.

Looks like there's fire here boys. I am surprised it's David, but maybe he is entertaining it since his loss to AB.

Reactions: Lyons212
DT leaving makes the least amount of sense to me of any of the guys the AD could have been seeing in State College. I could see Cael leaving before DT.

Now that I’ve said this, I fully expect DT to take the job.
Better there than, say, Ohio State. Need them to keep riding with Ryan as he’s Mack Brown with wrestling shoes

I think it has more to do with him wanting to be a college coach. This is one of the couple jobs he’d listen on but may be a little too soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT