ADVERTISEMENT

Zeke Moisey granted release from WVU

What does Lee have to do with 125? This would allow the true freshmen opportunity to redshirt if he would make that decision

Reactions: tabenn
Id love to see him in B&W

Definite AA candidate

allows all Teske and GT to red shirt

Never been a huge fan of Moisey, but it would work for me. Just one year left. Lose some redshirt flexibility down the road, but it could still work out.

Id love to see him in B&W

Definite AA candidate

allows all Teske and GT to red shirt

I agree, particularly about creating the first-year redshirt opportunity for Teske and one of Teasdale/RBY. which could be really helpful. A capable 1-year guy at 125 would fit in very well in that respect.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan recruited him while at nationals, and it's already a done deal to the Bucks.

Sorta like with McKenna last year. Supposedly looking around for the best fit while he was already working out in Columbus and appearing in team photos.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan recruited him while at nationals, and it's already a done deal to the Bucks.

Sorta like with McKenna last year. Supposedly looking around for the best fit while he was already working out in Columbus and appearing in team photos.
He continued to appear in photos, even two days after the NCAA championships had ended, frozen in time for all to see on twitter, in a still shot posted by his coach.

That's just how they roll.

The mercenary isn't our style. Not what Cael does. And no, nay sayers, Kuhn and Keener were not anything like bringing in McKenna and Campbell, or bringing in DeSanto or Perry, or now Moisey and whoever else jumps on the tan gravy train. Cael and the staff identify them, they become part of the family, and the special qualities they have are then enhanced with coaching and philosophy. I like Gavin, Brody, and Roman. Lets roll with them.

Reactions: nitlion6
The mercenary isn't our style. Not what Cael does. And no, nay sayers, Kuhn and Keener were not anything like bringing in McKenna and Campbell, or bringing in DeSanto or Perry, or now Moisey and whoever else jumps on the tan gravy train. Cael and the staff identify them, they become part of the family, and the special qualities they have are then enhanced with coaching and philosophy. I like Gavin, Brody, and Roman. Lets roll with them.

Um, Andrew Long

Reactions: Afw6006
Why not. The sport is evolving into this. 1-2 yr transfers to fill in holes. I would think the young lightweights would greatly benefit from immediate RS’s.

Reactions: HAMMER167
Lets not be to hard on the coaches. If I was Zeke and had spent 3-4 years at a school that won few matches and had home crowds that all came in the same van.......AND had a chance to go to a winning team....wrestling in front of THOUSANDS... with great workout partners......I would be begging Ryan to let me go there. Same thing for Desanto and other wrestlers. I would be begging to go to Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State, Okie State and others schools. Wrestling in front of 100 fans or a packed house......such an easy choice and I don't blame anyone for making it happen

Reactions: jack66
Why not. The sport is evolving into this. 1-2 yr transfers to fill in holes. I would think the young lightweights would greatly benefit from immediate RS’s.

Personally I don't think anything has changed with transfers. If someone has some data showing that it has I would love to see it. IMHO, it just SEEMS to PSU fans there are more transfers because we are more aware of any transfer that could affect the team score, something we never thought about pre-Cael.

I think Cael might want to kick the tires, so to speak. If he can get an A-A wrestler in for a year while preserving some red-shirts, I think that is great. We will lose two big guns after next year--Nolf and Nickal--and lose a couple of other scorers--Rasheed and Nevills.

It might be that Cael is looking at it from that perspective to be ready to roll with a lineup in 2019 that has some college redshirt mat experience.

Long was also already very close to the coaches as he had wrestled for Cael,Cody, and Casey for his redshirt year and his RFR year in Ames. He was more like a transfer that followed his coaches.

Long wrestled for Jackson his RS Freshman year but your point still stands, I think Cael was friendly with the Long family going back to when Andrew was young. Some of our Iowa friends like to view the Long transfer as mercenary move however the plan was for him to wrestle the following two years as well and graduate at Penn State.

Reactions: lionlover
It might be that Cael is looking at it from that perspective to be ready to roll with a lineup in 2019 that has some college redshirt mat experience.

As opposed to a lineup with a season of college championship experience and the trsining, learning and one on one instruction that goes with being the starter?

Just venturing a guess, but the only way any of those kids ends up at Penn State is if the staff discovers what is currently in place is not going to be ready. Zain, Mark, Morgan, and Nico were pretty solid as freshmen.

Last edited:
Lets not be to hard on the coaches. If I was Zeke and had spent 3-4 years at a school that won few matches and had home crowds that all came in the same van.......AND had a chance to go to a winning team....wrestling in front of THOUSANDS... with great workout partners......I would be begging Ryan to let me go there. Same thing for Desanto and other wrestlers. I would be begging to go to Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State, Okie State and others schools. Wrestling in front of 100 fans or a packed house......such an easy choice and I don't blame anyone for making it happen

That's one way to look at it, but the 'haves' taking from 'have nots' isn't going to grow wrestling. In the last 7 years only 9 different teams have occupied the the top-5 spots at nationals. If those same teams are now pilfering top wrestlers from the rest, how are the rest going to build a program?

If WVU, Stanford and the like are having trouble getting fan interest, I can't imagine losing AAs will put more butts in seats. The end result could be more teams closing up shop.

I don't know the answer, certainly you want freedom of movement the other way. Guys like Hammond, Dunmore and the Laws got their chance to wrestle. I just have concerns with the recent movement of AAs ... especially if certain coaches are tampering/recruiting from other schools.

Last edited:
That's one way to look at it, but the 'haves' taking from teams that 'have nots' isn't going to grow wrestling. In the last 7 years only 9 different teams have occupied the the top-5 spots at nationals. If those same teams are now pilfering top wrestlers from the rest, how are the rest going to build a program?

If WVU, Stanford and the like are having trouble getting fan interest, I can't imagine losing AAs will put more butts in seats. The end result could be more teams closing up shop.

I don't know the answer, certainly you want freedom of movement the other way. Guys like Hammond, Dunmore and the Laws got their chance to wrestle. I just have concerns with the recent movement of AAs ... especially if certain coaches are tampering/recruiting from other schools.

it seems like it's moving toward the professional soccer model where there's a top tier of teams that every player hopes to be good enough to play for some day. players may start with a smaller club (in this metaphor, WVU) but if they show that they are sufficient caliber they'll try to force a move to one of those big clubs (tOSU).

in this metaphor PSU is probably manchester city, who were purchased by a UAE billionaire in 2008 and are now the most dominant club in the EPL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT