ADVERTISEMENT

Your Penn State Big 10 road wins you've witnessed in person?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Since Penn State's been in the Big 10, what are your witnessed-in-person Penn State's road wins at the other Big 10 schools stadiums?

With this past Saturday's victory in Madison, my Penn State Big 10 road wins are: Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Since Penn State's been in the Big 10, what are your witnessed-in-person Penn State's road wins at the other Big 10 schools stadiums?

With this past Saturday's victory in Madison, my Penn State Big 10 road wins are: Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin.

Iowa 2019 and Northwestern 2017. Was supposed to be in Madison this weekend and can’t believe I missed out.

I’ve seen Penn State win on the road versus Illinois, indinia, purdue, michigan, michigan state, northwestern, and rutgres.

Reactions: john4psu
Maryland, Northwestern twice, Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana (FedEx Field), and now Wisconsin

Ohio State (1978, Schlichter first game) technically not BIG 10, but I get “old timer’‘s”credit for that one; Maryland (2x soon to be 3); Wisconsin; Northwestern twice; Rutgers pre Big 10 @ Meadowlands (See Ohio State “old timer” rule).

Last edited:
I've seen several road wins but one of my favorite memories was @ Northwestern in 2001. A young Zach Mills comes in late in the 4th quarter ("What's up, fellas?") to lead the comeback. They went on to win several more games that year and propelled them to a memorable '02 season. A bright stretch in the dark years.

Two at umd, plus another vs umd in Baltimore and then rutgres in 2014

B10 title game was probably the best game I've seen not in Beaver Stadium.
JVP's last road game ever at Northwestern is special.
Crushing Wisconsin in 2008 was fun.
Big wins over garbage fan bases (Iowa, Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland) were a blast, especially Iowa 2012.
Michigan in 2005 was great, until they decided that game needed to be extended by 2 seconds.

• Angry
Reactions: odshowtime
2008 at OSU, Daryll Clark from Youngstown at the helm. Had one OSU fan give me a slight nudge on the way out and another tell me “Win it all” outside the “Shoe”.

2005 Northwestern
1994 Illinois
Zak Mills game against Northwestern (forget year)
1982 Boston College (when Flutie put up 500 yards and we killed them)

I've seen wins at Minny (Metrodome), Purdue (Bobby Engram bomb TD that probably gets overturned today), Illinois, and Northwestern. Losses at MSU (TJ Duckett ran all over us/ Saban was coach- sat a few folks down from Mrs. Saban as my buddy worked at the TV Station that aired The Nick Saban Show), OSU (in 2002- Chris Gamble 3 ints of Mills). Been in Camp Randall, Kinnick and The Big House while driving across the country but not for games.

All of my road trips were within the first 10 years of being in conference. My wife's rule used to be that I only used frequent flyer miles and was on the first plane home on Sunday morning so I could be with the family since I worked so much. When I left the corporate world my flyer miles disappeared. I'm thinking of driving to College Park this year- it is close and I have a cousin whose daughter is a senior @ UMD. They will be there. Rutgers next year- I acted as a college consultant for my wife's cousin's and when their son chose RU Honors College over many other highly competitive colleges (Colgate, Lehigh, Lafayette along with U of Michigan). I asked for my payment to come in the form of great tickets and a tailgate in Piscataway. Maybe they'll spring for an RV so I don't have to deal with the shuttles that everyone complains about? That is next year.

Indiana intrigues me from a logistics perspective- either driving or flying. Most others will likely have to wait until retirement when I'm living in an RV : )

These are the only away games I have been to that were wins.

1994 Illinois
1994 Indiana
1993 Iowa
1995 Northwestern
2019 Maryland

The other was a loss to Ohio State 2006

My best road game (not Big 10) was the 48-14 game at the pitters. My most vivid memory of that game was Sal Sunseri falling down on his own to avoid being hit by Mike Munchak. Late in the game Sunseri did all he could to avoid being splattered by Munchak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nittany18
Northwestern in 2005. MRob completes a 4th and 15 pass to Isaac Smolko for the 1st down. Later in the drive MRob hits DWill for the game winning TD.
Yes...I believe Smolko got about 16 yards on the reception for the 1st down. A perfect pass by MRob who couldn't hit the side of a barn in the first half. IIRC the following week was the Buckeyes at the Beav.

2021 Wisconsin
2018 Illinois
2017 Maryland
2016 Wisconsin (B10 Championship)
2015 Maryland (@M&T Bank Stadium)
2014 Rutgers
2011 Northwestern
2010 Indiana (@FedEx Field)
2008 Ohio State

The two L’s that will forever haunt me as “should have been W’s”

2017 Ohio State 39-38
2005 Michigan 27-25

These are the only two games I’ve attended in person that remotely rival the feeing after 1999 Minnesota.

Notre Dame 1986 with 5 PSU buddies and our fathers. Great game stopped ND much like Wisconsin on Saturday.

Reactions: odshowtime
Northwestern, Iowa, Purdue & Illinois multiple times. Indiana once. Best road win was the 94 Illinois game. Sat in the endzone where Milne scored the winning TD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT