ADVERTISEMENT

Your dream doubleheader pitching match-up?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
You are in baseball heaven. No, not Fenway Park or Wrigley Field or Dyersville, Iowa. You get to watch a double-header and you get to pick and watch the starting pitchers in their prime for each game. Who are your selections?

Game 1: Koufax vs. Seaver
Game 2: Pedro vs. Carlton

Tough not to pick Bob Gibson though. Let's play three!

1. Koufax vs Clemens
2. Gibson vs Ryan

Over/under on how many hits and how many K’s?

If it was for one game, I’d pick Gibson over anybody. Nobody tougher than Bob Gibson.

His performance in the '67 and then the '68 World Series was off the charts. And yet in Game 7 of the '68 World Series, (i.e., the one game you had to win) it was Gibson that gave up the runs in the 7th inning. I realize it was on short rest, and his third start in the WS, and perhaps Curt Flood was playing too short, but after his performance that season, and in Game 1 (where he had 17 Ks against the Tigers), I really expected Gibson and the Cards to win that game.

That said, he probably would be my selection over any other pitcher, for one game.

A good no DH (of course) match-up would be Marichal vs. Drysdale. There would be an ambulance backed up to the ballpark.

Reactions: gslachta
Game 1: Greg Maddux vs. Clayton Kershaw

Game 2: John Smoltz vs. Randy Johnson

Game 1 Bob Feller vs Christy Mathewson

Game 2 Bob Gibson vs Don Drysdale.

Doesn't answer your question, but I was in high school (late 70's) and made a trip with the guys to Tiger's Stadium. Not sure who was pitching that day for Detroit, but the other team - the California Angles - had these two guys pitching the double header.
Frank Tanana and Nolan Ryan.
Can't tell you any details of that Saturday or Sunday game. But I do remember a guy in the beer line with me saying not to worry, as long as I had money, they'd serve me beer at age 17. They did.

OL

Maddux vs Feller. Precision vs Power. My second game would be Josh Hader vs Cody Morris who was just drafted in the 7th round by the Indians. That way I can re-enact a 2012 HS game that I coached.

Marichal - Koufax
G. Maddux - Gibson
Anyone recall Marichal attacking Johnny Roseboro with his bat during a game in the 60s. I think it may have been the game of the week on Saturday afternoon.

Marichal - Koufax
G. Maddux - Gibson
Anyone recall Marichal attacking Johnny Roseboro with his bat during a game in the 60s. I think it may have been the game of the week on Saturday afternoon.
I recall watching Marichal pitching at Connie Mack Stadium; I’ve never seen a more graceful pitcher. Jim Palmer was almost as smooth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT