ADVERTISEMENT

WTT

I inferred from those tweets that CP wasn't being particularly serious -- in that he deadpanned an answer to a question that he didn't take seriously.

Given that JO is already saying he'd like a chance to wrestle the winner for the spot, it's probably worth revisiting the Nick Marable James Green thing from a few years back since the arbitrator's decision there is what JO would be relying on. Marable had won the US Open at 70kg and the right to sit in the finals, but didn't weigh in for the trials. He claimed his decision was due to injury but many were skeptical and thought Marable was having trouble making weight.

Since Marable's claim came within 18 hours of the weigh-in, the procedure as spelled out but USA Wrestling should have required (see below) Marable to still make weight, but that never happened. Not sure why that didn't matter to the arbitrator but most of the wrestling world was pissed off at the decision to give Marable another shot.

No idea why JO has pulled out but it's noteworthy that this is prior to the 18 hour window, so a medical excuse (assuming he has one from a doctor USA Wrestling finds legit) would permit him to get another date without having to weigh in this weekend.

I think JO will face a lot of the same skepticism that Marable faced. Marable had wrestled 74kg (he was the last US wrestler to beat Burroughs there) so was cutting to 70kg, and JO spent last year at 70kg, and difficulty of his cut to 65kg shows.

efKY8qK.jpg

Those are the old rules, JO cannot appeal. You need to be a World/Olympic place winner from the previous year. http://content.themat.com/forms/2017WTTProcedures.pdf

Reactions: tikk10
Those are the old rules, JO cannot appeal. You need to be a World/Olympic place winner from the previous year. http://content.themat.com/forms/2017WTTProcedures.pdf

Thank you! I missed that entirely. It would seem to be a reaction to the Marable/Green scenario and not wanting to revisit that except where deference has been previously earned.
It'll be interesting to watch how this plays out. Marable pursued his complaint, still by USA Wrestling Rules, but outside the USA Wrestling organization for his appeal...(from USA Wrestling)...

"On June 18, USA Wrestling announced that its Freestyle Sport Committee denied a request by Marable for a delay of competition for the Final Wrestle-off at 70 kg/154 lbs. in men’s freestyle wrestling for the 2015 U.S. World Championships Team.

Marable, following procedures in USA Wrestling’s bylaws and in the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act, filed a USOC Bylaws Section 9 complaint. As part of this process, Arbitrator Maidie E. Oliveau listened to the facts of the case and determined that a delayed World Team Trials series was warranted.

USA Wrestling fully supports the procedures established by the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act, which gives athletes a voice in the team selection process and provides them the opportunity to present their case when there is a dispute about how the process is implemented."

Does not appear to be an option any longer.

It'll be interesting to watch how this plays out. Marable pursued his complaint, still by USA Wrestling Rules, but outside the USA Wrestling organization for his appeal...(from USA Wrestling)...

"On June 18, USA Wrestling announced that its Freestyle Sport Committee denied a request by Marable for a delay of competition for the Final Wrestle-off at 70 kg/154 lbs. in men’s freestyle wrestling for the 2015 U.S. World Championships Team.

Marable, following procedures in USA Wrestling’s bylaws and in the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act, filed a USOC Bylaws Section 9 complaint. As part of this process, Arbitrator Maidie E. Oliveau listened to the facts of the case and determined that a delayed World Team Trials series was warranted.

USA Wrestling fully supports the procedures established by the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act, which gives athletes a voice in the team selection process and provides them the opportunity to present their case when there is a dispute about how the process is implemented."

Does not appear to be an option any longer.
I'm not entirely sure appealing outside is off the table; USA Wrestling can't simply opt out of the Ted Stevens Act. The situation in Marable/Green was a closer call--relative to USA Wrestling's rules at the time--than is JO vis a vis the present rules. But JO could argue, hypothetically, that he never received notice of the rule change and appeal whatever denial down the same path as Marable.

It's odd to me that the sources on this have been so cryptic. It appears that people in the know do know but aren't talking about the reason openly for whatever reason. It'd be nice to hear someone go on the record and explain what the basis for his pulling out is. If it was an injury, no one is doing JO any favors by being cagey because it's inviting speculation.

Reactions: RoarLions1
According to Flo Arena, Nico, Zain, Molinaro, Nolf, Joseph, and Taylor are registered for senior WTT but Bo Nickal is not (yet?) registered. Anyone know whether Nickal is participating or not?

According to Flo Arena, Nico, Zain, Molinaro, Nolf, Joseph, and Taylor are registered for senior WTT but Bo Nickal is not (yet?) registered. Anyone know whether Nickal is participating or not?

I heard he is not for various reasons.

This is all assuming it's an injury. If he missed weight or failed a test it won't matter because he won't be granted an appeal. I find it slightly odd that he hasn't come out and said he's injured.

When DT goes against Cox, Sanderson and Cunningham should make sure Cox is throughly wiped and dried down (and as often as possible). Cox's body sweats like crazy (immediately and profusely) and his opponents often have a hard time keeping a grip.

Reactions: LHavenlion
When DT goes against Cox, Sanderson and Cunningham should make sure Cox is throughly wiped and dried down (and as often as possible). Cox's body sweats like crazy (immediately and profusely) and his opponents often have a hard time keeping a grip.

How exactly do you suggest they do that? Really curious here.

He's already penciled into the Hawkeyes lineup by some of their fans. They are actually including him in their trials updates with all the other Hawkeyes wrestlers.
I have no word on where he's going but what's wrong with including him in updates? No different than giving updates on a prospective recruit wrestling in a big tournament. There are plenty of problems on our board but this isn't one of them.

I have no word on where he's going but what's wrong with including him in updates? No different than giving updates on a prospective recruit wrestling in a big tournament. There are plenty of problems on our board but this isn't one of them.
Counting your chickens before they are hatched....not my thing....but cool if it's yours. I just think it's silly seeing people with Lugo and McKenna and IMAR included in your future lineups.

Counting your chickens before they are hatched....not my thing....but cool if it's yours. I just think it's silly seeing people with Lugo and McKenna and IMAR included in your future lineups.
Giving updates on a potential transfer isn't counting anything. If he goes somewhere else he goes somewhere else. No one with their head screwed on straight has had any serious hope of Imar (I never thought he was leaving to begin with but it wasn't insane to ask the question) or McKenna coming for weeks. It's not doing anything that this board doesn't do with regularity.

Reactions: Gebmo
Giving updates on a potential transfer isn't counting anything. If he goes somewhere else he goes somewhere else. No one with their head screwed on straight has had any serious hope of Imar (I never thought he was leaving to begin with but it wasn't insane to ask the question) or McKenna coming for weeks. It's not doing anything that this board doesn't do with regularity.
Then you have quite a few folks over there needing an cranial adjustment because there were plenty penciling those guys into your lineup. I know because I laughed every single time I saw it happen. PD3 was the funniest though.

Reactions: diggerpup
Btw, why are you invading my "safe space"? :p

Reactions: Gebmo and diggerpup
Speaking of cranial adjustments, when does the Senior Brackets get released ??

Not sure why it takes so damn long. It's not like they have to fill in 33 wrestlers at 10 weights.

Hurry up already.

The only opinion that counts is Brands', and it's really obvious that he wants no part of PD3.

That pairing would be highly entertaining while it lasted. Brands has too much sense for that though.

Seeds from Flo here:
https://goo.gl/gdccRP

57 kg (Tony Ramos in finals)
1. Tyler Graff
2. Nahshon Garrett
3. Nathan Tomasello
4. Nico Megaludis
5. Zach Sanders
6. Frank Perrelli
7. Alan Waters
8. Thomas Gilman
9. Darian Cruz

61 kg: (Logan Stieber in finals)
1. Kendric Maple
2. Brandon Wright
3. Josh Kindig
4. Cody Brewer
5. Jayson Ness
6. Joe Colon
7. Seth Gross
8. Chris Dardanes

65 kg: (Frank Molinaro in finals)
1. Zain Retherford
2. BJ Futrell
3. Evan Henderson
4. Kellen Russell
5. Nick Dardanes
6. Mario Mason
7. Dean Heil
8. Jaydin Eierman

70 kg: (James Green sits in the finals)
1. Kennedy
2. Nazar
3. Pami
4. Nolf
5. Panteleo
6. Chamberlain
7. Gantt
8. Ness

74 kg: (Jordan Burroughs in finals)
1. Dake
2. Dieringer
3. Valencia
4. Martinez
5. Levalley
6. Marsteller

86 kg: (J'Den Cox sits in the finals)
1. Taylor
2. Perry
3. Heflin
4. Downey
5. Crutchmer
6. Trotman
7. Asper
8. Rau

97 kg: (Kyle Snyder sits in the finals)
1. Gadson
2. Kilgore
3. M Burak
4. N Burak
5. Klinschmidt
6. Walz
7. Cabell
8. Reyes
9. Zilmer
10. Williams

125 kg: (Nick Gwiazdowski sits in the finals)
1. Rey
2. Bradley
3. Telford
4. Nelson
5. Grant
6. Butler

Press the ref to keep checking.
Yes, the coaches are supposed to wipe down their wrestler at the break between periods. The refs are supposed to check to make sure the sweat is (relatively) cleared. Most refs do, and some send the wrestler back to the corner to be wiped down again. A coach or his wrestler can conceivably point out a problem that is visible to the naked eye. Article 31 of the international rules reads: I"t is the duty of the coach to wipe his wrestler during the break. At the end of the break, his/her wrestler might not sweat any more." (Note: I'm not sure exactly how the last sentence should be interpreted.)

65kg
Zain vs Russell semi

70kg
Nolf vs Kennedy semi

74kg
Dake vs IMar semi

84kg
DT vs PD3 semi

Should all be entertaining

I can't recall Nico ever facing Graff but it's probably good that he doesn't have to go through Nato. I think Gilman and Cruz open with a rematch of this year's 125 semi upset.

I think Maple, based on how good he looked at the Open, has a decent chance of seating Stieber given Stieber's casual approach to giving up points.

Evan Henderson probably pretty relieved he got the seed above Kellen Russell and avoiding Zain. I'd be more concerned about Zain seeing Kellen Russell in the first round. Nick Dardanes will probably take some starch out of him. Zain v Eierman in first round should be fun, Eierman will at least approach it creatively.

Nolf faces an improved and crazy strong Panteleo, then Kennedy or Ness. Kennedy worries me the most in that bracket but Nolf can beat anyone there including Green.

DT faces Joe Rau, who mostly wrestles greco these days and will be very outmatched. Then it's PD3 or Crutchmer. Since PD3 promised he wouldn't get scored on, it'll be a short day for the Magic Man.

Kyle Gadson the favorite to get through to Snyder, who was handed his last D1 loss from Gadson. Snyder probably flips that result twice in a row.

I think Gwiz will continue to make Casey Cunningham look really good. It's his time, and I imagine the rest in the finals helps as much at heavyweight as any other weight, even if the challenge bracket is only six.

Reactions: Gebmo and diggerpup
I think Graff isn't a good matchup for Nico. I like Nico, but wouldn't bet on him to beat anybody above himself here.

Zain too strong for any Russell funk. Magic Man will struggle against a more rested Downey - it might last a good 40 seconds haha!

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT