ADVERTISEMENT

WTT

mrh1645

Feb 11, 2014
World Team Trials are this Saturday, June 10th. Flo has an article in which they predict seeding in the challenge tournament. Assuming the seeds are correct and they hold, PSU related guys have the following paths ---

57kg: Nico (4) sees Zach Sanders (5) in QFs, Tyler Graff (1) in semis, with Nashon Garret/Nato winner in finals. Winner gets Tony Ramos in best of 3 on Sat night.

65kg: Frank Molinaro (1) sees Dean Heil (8) in QFs, Kellen Russell (4) in semis, and Zain (2) in finals. Zain (2) sees Mario Mason (7) in QFs, BJ Futrell (3) in semis, and Frank in finals. Winner gets JO in best of 3.

70kg: Nolf (4) sees Pantaleo (5) in QFs, Jimmy Kennedy (1) in SFs, and winner of Kulchytskky/Pami in finals. Winner gets Green in best of 3.

74kg: Hall (3) gets IMar (6) in QFs, Dieringer (2) in SFs, Dake (1) in finals. Cenzo (9) gets Marstellar (8) in R16, Dake (1) in QFs, winner of Chris Perry/AValencia in SFs, winner of Hall/Dieringer in finals. Winner gets Burroughs in best of 3.

84kg: Taylor (1) gets Trotman in QFs, Bo Nickal (4) in SFs, winner of R.Perry/Heflin in finals. Bo gets PD3 in QFs, Taylor in SFs, winner of R.Perry/Heflin in finals. Winner gets J'Den in best of 3.

74kg: Hall (3) gets IMar (6) in QFs, Dieringer (2) in SFs, Dake (1) in finals. Cenzo (9) gets Marstellar (8) in R16, Dake (1) in QFs, winner of Chris Perry/AValencia in SFs, winner of Hall/Dieringer in finals. Winner gets Burroughs in best of 3.

I haven't heard anything definitive, but everything I have heard publicly indicates that Hall isn't going to the WTTs because he made the World Junior team.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I haven't heard anything definitive, but everything I have heard publicly indicates that Hall isn't going to the WTTs because he made the World Junior team.
Hall will be will need to win the Junior WTT this weekend to make the team.

I think Flo just seeded everyone who has qualified, whether they are going to wrestle this weekend or not.

I
World Team Trials are this Saturday, June 10th. Flo has an article in which they predict seeding in the challenge tournament. Assuming the seeds are correct and they hold, PSU related guys have the following paths ---

57kg: Nico (4) sees Zach Sanders (5) in QFs, Tyler Graff (1) in semis, with Nashon Garret/Nato winner in finals. Winner gets Tony Ramos in best of 3 on Sat night.

65kg: Frank Molinaro (1) sees Dean Heil (8) in QFs, Kellen Russell (4) in semis, and Zain (2) in finals. Zain (2) sees Mario Mason (7) in QFs, BJ Futrell (3) in semis, and Frank in finals. Winner gets JO in best of 3.

70kg: Nolf (4) sees Pantaleo (5) in QFs, Jimmy Kennedy (1) in SFs, and winner of Kulchytskky/Pami in finals. Winner gets Green in best of 3.

84kg: Taylor (1) gets Trotman in QFs, Bo Nickal (4) in SFs, winner of R.Perry/Heflin in finals. Bo gets PD3 in QFs, Taylor in SFs, winner of R.Perry/Heflin in finals. Winner gets J'Den in best of 3.
If this plays out as FLO predicts this will be a great experience for our guys. Zain and Nolf look likely to make the finals-Hall and Bo look like they will have their hands full in the best kind of way. As far as Hall goes I think he is planning to crush his best of three on Friday then throw his hat in the senior ring on Saturday. Kudos to all of them for stepping up.

Last edited:
I

If this plays out as FLO predicts this will be a great experience for our guys. Zain and Nolf look likely to make the finals-Hall and Bo look like they will have their hands full in the best kind of way. As far as Hall goes I think he is planning to crush his best of three on Friday Mike then junior world team then throw his hat in the senior ring on Saturday. Kudos to all of them for stepping up.
By finals, I'm guessing you don't mean the finals of the challenger bracket, but the overall finals against those that are sitting out. Both Zain and Jason could be the challenger winners, though "look likely to make the finals" is too strong imo. Zain has Tank in his way, and Jason has Pami, who recently beat him. Great if they do, of course, even better if they win the whole thing given where they're at in their freestyle careers. Excellent experience either way.

Reactions: tabenn
I

If this plays out as FLO predicts this will be a great experience for our guys. Zain and Nolf look likely to make the finals-Hall and Bo look like they will have their hands full in the best kind of way. As far as Hall goes I think he is planning to crush his best of three on Friday then throw his hat in the senior ring on Saturday. Kudos to all of them for stepping up.
Yeah it's confusing I meant the finals before the actual finals. Even then Zain v JO and Nolf V Green are winnable.

This guy usually has great info. Regarding Bo.

Both Lee's and Bo Nickal are not competing at Trials. Vincenzo is not eligible for Juniors but is going at the senior level and Luke Gardner is in at Junior 66Kg also.

Mark Hall could reasonably compete in both, but the double weigh-in is probably too much.

Willie Saylor tweeted that he only expects 6 entries for the mini tournament at 74kg and does not list Hall in his brackets.

Projected Seeds from Willie:
1 Dake
2 Dieringer
3 Valencia
4 IMAR
4 LaValley (clearly one of these should be the 5 and he had a typo)
6 Marsteller

Reactions: RoarLions1
Willie Saylor tweeted that he only expects 6 entries for the mini tournament at 74kg and does not list Hall in his brackets.

Projected Seeds from Willie:
1 Dake
2 Dieringer
3 Valencia
4 IMAR
4 LaValley (clearly one of these should be the 5 and he had a typo)
6 Marsteller
In bracket form, it's (in Willie's tweet);
Round 1:
IMar vs LaValley
Valencia vs Marsteller
Dake & Dieringer with byes

Round 2:
Dake vs IMar/LaValley Winner
Dieringer vs Valencia/Marsteller Winner

Finals of Challenger Bracket:
Winners of Round 2 Bouts

Then, of course, the winner gets a well-rested Jordan Burroughs.

Reactions: Gebmo
By finals, I'm guessing you don't mean the finals of the challenger bracket, but the overall finals against those that are sitting out. Both Zain and Jason could be the challenger winners, though "look likely to make the finals" is too strong imo. Zain has Tank in his way, and Jason has Pami, who recently beat him. Great if they do, of course, even better if they win the whole thing given where they're at in their freestyle careers. Excellent experience either way.
Guy who wins should be able to wrestle the guy sitting and waiting the next day...The guys who just won wrestled 4 tough matches and now has to beat the champ 2 times while he is exhausted....

Reactions: Dogwelder
In bracket form, it's (in Willie's tweet);
Round 1:
IMar vs LaValley
Valencia vs Marsteller
Dake & Dieringer with byes

Round 2:
Dake vs IMar/LaValley Winner
Dieringer vs Valencia/Marsteller Winner

Finals of Challenger Bracket:
Winners of Round 2 Bouts

Then, of course, the winner gets a well-rested Jordan Burroughs.
Marsteller/Dieringer has a certain appeal ...

Marsteller/Dieringer has a certain appeal ...
In the past Chance has not been able to deal with anything Dieringer has had to offer, but you are right. A competitive match between the two makes 165 this coming season even more intriguing. Plus it would be another indicator that the kid is in a better place in his life.

Agree Mike and nit. Both are improving, but Dieringer is the more seasoned.

Is there a list of the wrestlers competing at the Junior WTT? I've looked on Floarena and at best it is an incomplete list.

Where can you find a schedule with times for tournament?

Here you go:

Friday, June 9
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM: Junior Freestyle: All weights Challenge Tournament - Preliminaries, Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Finals, Consolations and Consolation Semifinals

5:00 PM - 7:30 PM - All weights Final Trials: Best of 3 Series

Saturday, June 10
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM: SESSION I - Preliminaries, Quarterfinals, Semifinals, Challenge Finals/Consolations and 3rd Place, Challenge Tournament Finals

6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: SESSION II - Final World Team Trials – Best of 3 Series (Rd # 1, Rd # 2 and Rd # 3(If Needed) True Second Place Matches from Challenge Tournament

Thanks Used2B. Figured I'd be getting up at 7am Pacific time with red eyes Saturday morning.

Here you go:

Friday, June 9
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM: Junior Freestyle: All weights Challenge Tournament - Preliminaries, Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Finals, Consolations and Consolation Semifinals

5:00 PM - 7:30 PM - All weights Final Trials: Best of 3 Series

Saturday, June 10
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM: SESSION I - Preliminaries, Quarterfinals, Semifinals, Challenge Finals/Consolations and 3rd Place, Challenge Tournament Finals

6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: SESSION II - Final World Team Trials – Best of 3 Series (Rd # 1, Rd # 2 and Rd # 3(If Needed) True Second Place Matches from Challenge Tournament
Pretty certain these are all Central times, so add an hour if you're on the east coast.

This sucks! I really wanted to see either Frank or Zain avenge their loss to JO! Plus, injuries just suck in general - hope Oliver heals up soon!

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Given that JO is already saying he'd like a chance to wrestle the winner for the spot, it's probably worth revisiting the Nick Marable James Green thing from a few years back since the arbitrator's decision there is what JO would be relying on. Marable had won the US Open at 70kg and the right to sit in the finals, but didn't weigh in for the trials. He claimed his decision was due to injury but many were skeptical and thought Marable was having trouble making weight.

Since Marable's claim came within 18 hours of the weigh-in, the procedure as spelled out but USA Wrestling should have required (see below) Marable to still make weight, but that never happened. Not sure why that didn't matter to the arbitrator but most of the wrestling world was pissed off at the decision to give Marable another shot.

No idea why JO has pulled out but it's noteworthy that this is prior to the 18 hour window, so a medical excuse (assuming he has one from a doctor USA Wrestling finds legit) would permit him to get another date without having to weigh in this weekend.

I think JO will face a lot of the same skepticism that Marable faced. Marable had wrestled 74kg (he was the last US wrestler to beat Burroughs there) so was cutting to 70kg, and JO spent last year at 70kg, and difficulty of his cut to 65kg shows.

efKY8qK.jpg

Given that JO is already saying he'd like a chance to wrestle the winner for the spot, it's probably worth revisiting the Nick Marable James Green thing from a few years back since the arbitrator's decision there is what JO would be relying on. Marable had won the US Open at 70kg and the right to sit in the finals, but didn't weigh in for the trials. He claimed his decision was due to injury but many were skeptical and thought Marable was having trouble making weight.

Since Marable's claim came within 18 hours of the weigh-in, the procedure as spelled out but USA Wrestling should have required (see below) Marable to still make weight, but that never happened. Not sure why that didn't matter to the arbitrator but most of the wrestling world was pissed off at the decision to give Marable another shot.

No idea why JO has pulled out but it's noteworthy that this is prior to the 18 hour window, so a medical excuse (assuming he has one from a doctor USA Wrestling finds legit) would permit him to get another date without having to weigh in this weekend.

I think JO will face a lot of the same skepticism that Marable faced. Marable had wrestled 74kg (he was the last US wrestler to beat Burroughs there) so was cutting to 70kg, and JO spent last year at 70kg, and difficulty of his cut to 65kg shows.

efKY8qK.jpg

Regarding Tikk10's great post, I have one thing to say...Jordan Oliver..... WEIGH in and make the darn weight. Silence all critics!

Be proactive, I remember the heat that parable went through....JO doesn't want that

Reactions: tikk10
Regarding Tikk10's great post, I have one thing to say...Jordan Oliver..... WEIGH in and make the darn weight. Silence all critics!

Be proactive, I remember the heat that parable went through....JO doesn't want that
Marable!!!!

Nothing like writing a world team trials preview, then having to scrap an entire section because a finalist withdraws.

I would love to know why Oliver is not wrestling this weekend. My gut instinct was that he's having trouble making 65 kilos, which, if that's the case, he should not be allowed to wrestle off for the spot. But we'll see what happens.

Christian Pyles is implying on Twitter that there might be a non-illness or injury related reason keeping Oliver out. He then started talking about Molinaro sitting out of the challenge tournament with a bye to the finals. Which would imply something much different than Oliver missing because of injuries or illness.

Christian Pyles is implying on Twitter that there might be a non-illness or injury related reason keeping Oliver out. He then started talking about Molinaro sitting out of the challenge tournament with a bye to the finals. Which would imply something much different than Oliver missing because of injuries or illness.

does it imply a failed test? no other reason frank would get bye to finals or am I over thinking this?

#comeyhearingmakingmushofbrains

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT