ADVERTISEMENT

WTF?!? Taylor Swift? Really?!? What the hell happened to you Pennsylvanians?!?

img.png

It’s interesting.
I never heard of Spencer Bohren which automatically means I like his music better than Rascal Flatts and Michael Bolton.

The band formed in Los Angeles.

The original band members were from:

- Texas (Don Henley)
- Michigan (Glenn Fry)
- Illinois (Bernie Leadon)
- Nebraska (Randy Meisner)
That’s an odd designation but I don’t know how else you would do it. Also odd that Eminem is from MO and Jewel from Utah.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Was there a date on the map that I missed? Because Bing Crosby sold 5x the number of records Kenny G from Washington did.

I think that means Taylor Swift is the biggest selling artist FROM Pa.

At least that’s what the image says.

You can blame the rest of the country for that one.

They probably should have labeled the graphic “by US state of origin” rather than “in each US state”

(edit) Ah, just spotted the little gray addition to the text now. I still like my phrasing better :)

Reactions: psu1969a
How'd you like to be Washington with all the great music that has come from there (Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains, Heart), and your top selling artist is Kenny F'n G.
That's a kick to the groin

Florida with back street boys! Haha.

Nebraska?

Kansas is perfect

Just to inform Tom, it should be noted that Bernie Leadon of the Eagles lived in Gainesville, FL for awhile although was born in MN. His brother Tom was in Tom Petty’s precursor band to the Heartbreakers, Mudcrutch. Tom Petty’s guitar teacher in Gainesville was Don Felder of the Eagles, who replaced Leadon when he left. But the Eagles formed in CA.

Joe Walsh of the Eagles was originally from Ohio. This leads me to Rascal Flats, the Band on the map from Ohio. The lead singer and his cousin in the band attended some of the same schools my kids did in the Olentangy school district near Columbus, but not at the same time and when it was primarily a rural, farming community district. So it’s not surprising they are a country band.

I had to look up some of those because I'd never heard of them. Mannheim Steamroller? WTF? I found out their main claim to fame is Christmas albums. Whoever wrote Footloose must have had Nebraska in mind since there doesn't seem to be much of a music scene there.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion
Was there a date on the map that I missed? Because Bing Crosby sold 5x the number of records Kenny G from Washington did.
The industry started awarding Gold / Platinum record designations in 1958. I would guess that there's a good chance that record sales weren't tracked too accurately (or at all) before that.

She was born in Nutbush, TN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tina_Turner

Tina Turner was born Anna Mae Bullock on November 26, 1939,[a][3] in Brownsville, Tennessee,[4][5][6] the youngest daughter of Zelma Priscilla (née Currie) and Floyd Richard Bullock.[5][7] She lived in Nutbush, Tennessee where her father worked as an overseer of the sharecroppers at Poindexter Farm on Highway 180; Bullock later recalled picking cotton with her family at an early age...

I guess it’s been a while since Poison released an album.

The Harrisburg area produced Dan Hartman and Poison. Not matching cuff links.

Reading for Taylor Swift.

Pittsburgh gave us Tommy James, my favorite. Perry Como too. Pittsburgh has produced a great many good second rate bands.

Philadelphia too many to mention.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarryPSU

Pittsburgh gave us Tommy James, my favorite. Perry Como too. Pittsburgh has produced a great many good second rate bands.

Tay-tay definitely has more sales than Poison and she beats Hall & Oates but I can't figure out where Teddy Pendergrass ranks (do they count sales of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes while Teddy was with them?).

John denver was not born in Colorado. He settles there later in life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tina_Turner

Tina Turner was born Anna Mae Bullock on November 26, 1939,[a][3] in Brownsville, Tennessee,[4][5][6] the youngest daughter of Zelma Priscilla (née Currie) and Floyd Richard Bullock.[5][7] She lived in Nutbush, Tennessee where her father worked as an overseer of the sharecroppers at Poindexter Farm on Highway 180; Bullock later recalled picking cotton with her family at an early age...

Nutbush is best known as the birthplace and childhood home of singer Tina Turner, who described the town in her 1973 song "Nutbush City Limits".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutbush,_Tennessee

Perry Como was from Canonsburg as was Bobby Vinton.

I'm surprised KISS didn't make the list.

KISS have released 40 albums (no other rock bands will ever top this once in a lifetime feat) and sold over 100 million plus in their legendary career. They've influenced artists such as Garth Brooks, Lenny Kravitz, Kurt Cobain, as well as many rock bands.
YOU WANTED THE BEST, YOU GOT THE BEST, THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT