ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Season

It's highly likely, based on current number of new daily cases and the growth rate of same from week to week, that we will be seeing 1,000,000 new cases a day within a month (you can do the math - but I could explain it if necessary. It's all there in the data and trends). That number will drastically change attitudes. If we have a death rate of 1%, that would be 10,000 people dying a day. Are people going to be good with 3 9/11's a day? I can't see a wrestling season happening with the current explosion.
Took 98 days to reach our first 1 million cases and just took 6 days to get 1 million

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Took 98 days to reach our first 1 million cases and just took 6 days to get 1 million
You may be right, but that leaves the question of whether one 6 million dollar man deserves to be with this 1 woman for 98 days?

Some really bad news for the wrestling season:

1. PSAC canceled winter sports (with a potential loophole):

2. PA Health Dept will require wrestlers to wear masks during practice and competition:

What do cases being skewed towards lower demographics have to do with the death rate?

Nice way of using decimals so the %’s appear lower though

This is gonna be a challenge for wrestling. But if it's how we get a season ...

Offhand, at least:
1. AAA has 5 regionals -- which means only 3 of 5 runners up can go to Hershey. How to determine which?

2. Most districts and sectionals have well above 8 schools. They will need to either add more sectionals or set a cutoff to qualify for sectionals.

(Probably more issues.)

They are wrestling in the "bubbles" like how football was played.

This is gonna be a challenge for wrestling. But if it's how we get a season ...

Offhand, at least:
1. AAA has 5 regionals -- which means only 3 of 5 runners up can go to Hershey. How to determine which?

2. Most districts and sectionals have well above 8 schools. They will need to either add more sectionals or set a cutoff to qualify for sectionals.

(Probably more issues.)

You’ll have to excuse me, I’m a little slow. The rule that creates conflict is the one stating participation only for the school which is a dagger for YG, Broad Axe, M2 club teams and not the rule about showers not be available? The state title is just so important to every kid that wrestles. I’m thinking the kids will either lie about going or I can see the club instructors holding private clinics at the schools.

PIAA aiming for a shot between the eyes for a few folks there. I would say that more than a few elite athletes are going to opt-out this season.

You’ll have to excuse me, I’m a little slow. The rule that creates conflict is the one stating participation only for the school which is a dagger for YG, Broad Axe, M2 club teams and not the rule about showers not be available? The state title is just so important to every kid that wrestles. I’m thinking the kids will either lie about going or I can see the club instructors holding private clinics at the schools.

Not what I was going for. Doesn't have a ton to do with practice IMO.

What you see happening now - pushing back the season, condensing the season, limiting tournaments - this has been on the radar for a while now although nothing has been confirmed or publicly stated. I think a lot in the wrestling community already saw the issues that the sport faced this winter pretty clearly and while everyone hoped for the best, this season was always going to be a hail mary. Best case scenario is what we are seeing being trotted out now. We'll see if that is sustainable. There's just not a lot of tolerance for this risk in public schools and the PIAA.

There were alternatives starting to pop up and I think that was getting some traction. For some in wrestling, well they are going to get their wrestling and their competitions in one way or another - pandemic or not. I think the PIAA inclusion of the no participation outside HS team took aim at that. Basically, it's either us or them, you're not going to be able to have your cake and eat it too - because eating the cake means you are also putting the healthy eaters at risk. Also serves the purpose of putting an end to some guys who were trying to make some money out of this situation. Lord knows, wrestling parents can be easy marks, lol.

Poster on the Iowa board suggested early Jan.start for them- I presume that would apply to us.

Agree you can’t be sure where it comes from ... but there seems to be a lot of spread within teams and very little of spread between teams.

and maybe it shouldn’t be a concern at all for kids. They aren’t at risk. The rules are canceling games ... not the risks.
Exactly. The rules in the state I'm from has completely ruined the playoffs. Teams getting free wins because another team three miles away is "orange". Both teams being eliminated because of the same thing. Now a team that already had a bye to the title game is worried about making a color the week before the title game and they don't even play this week. So potentially the other semi final game, if played, would be for the championship. It's ridiculous. Teams with no players testing positive should be able to compete. Kids aren't the ones spreading it anyways. That's be proven. It's the freaking adults who refuse to follow a couple simple steps. Smh

Reactions: Lyons212
PIAA likely adding a "Super Regional" round after Regionals, so that each postseason round can be limited to one-day events.

Super Regionals to be split into East and West. SC AAA to get lumped into the West.

Reactions: danoftw
Wyoming Valley Conference (schools from Berwick to W-B) have paused winter sports until Jan 4.

Seminary has as well.

I had an online ref's meeting last night. To say that anybody knows what is going to actually take place in PA for high school wrestling is a real stretch.

Several leagues in my area have already postponed the start of practice until January. Other leagues are still debating when they will start.

The youth wrestling league in my region has now officially canceled their entire season. Some of the individual teams are still looking to try to have some tournaments, but for the most part the limitation looks to be the school districts, which are not allowing outsiders into their buildings.

A couple of the college refs I know were also in the meeting. They indicated that things look just as shaky for a college season, in terms of what they are hearing. My one friend indicated that the B1G is the college league that is most likely, among all the college leagues, to try to hold league competitions this coming season, which should make many of you happy. (He's also the most connected of my college ref friends, as he's officiated at nationals the last few years.)

Preseason tournaments fall outside the confines of the PIAA. Several of my friends were officiating at a big tournament held this past weekend in the Lancaster area. (Spooky Nook was the facility -- @hlstone, I'm sure you've been there many times.) For this tournament, they had dropped the requirements for the wrestlers to shake hands, and the ref to hold up the arm of the winner. The refs mentioned that most of the folks were in masks when not wrestling, and some were wearing masks when wrestling. The refs were, for the most part, wearing masks, but a lot of them were trying out different masks, or electronic whistles, and had some struggles trying to learn a new method of operation after years of doing things one way. They also mentioned that some of them were experimenting with ways to restart in neutral that didn't bring them in as close to the wrestlers. Again, a caution that preseason tournaments can modify rules on the fly; not something that refs have the option of doing for PIAA matches or tournaments.

Reactions: Gebmo
A couple of the college refs I know were also in the meeting. They indicated that things look just as shaky for a college season, in terms of what they are hearing. My one friend indicated that the B1G is the college league that is most likely, among all the college leagues, to try to hold league competitions this coming season, which should make many of you happy. (He's also the most connected of my college ref friends, as he's officiated at nationals the last few years.)

According to the PSU (University Park) COVID dashboard, they've had 54 positive results out of 962 tests for the last full week reported (11/27-12/3), for a positivity rate of about 6%. For the last week with full testing, they report 393 out of 15,132 tests, or about 3%. That's a bunch. Is that low enough for PSU to send their guys to other locations, and to have others come to University Park?

For all the s*** the Ivy League has gotten for their early cancellation of winter sports, Cornell reports 11 positives out of about 12,000 tests for the same 11/27-12/3 period (.01%), and 29 out of about 26,000 tests in the same 11/13-11/19 period (again, about .01%).

I don't think I need to add that testing only tells you that you probably weren't infectious 1-2 weeks ago, not that you aren't infectious on the date of the testing.

According to the PSU (University Park) COVID dashboard, they've had 54 positive results out of 962 tests for the last full week reported (11/27-12/3), for a positivity rate of about 6%. For the last week with full testing, they report 393 out of 15,132 tests, or about 3%. That's a bunch. Is that low enough for PSU to send their guys to other locations, and to have others come to University Park?

For all the s*** the Ivy League has gotten for their early cancellation of winter sports, Cornell reports 11 positives out of about 12,000 tests for the same 11/27-12/3 period (.01%), and 29 out of about 26,000 tests in the same 11/13-11/19 period (again, about .01%).

I don't think I need to add that testing only tells you that you probably weren't infectious 1-2 weeks ago, not that you aren't infectious on the date of the testing.
don't really want to pile on but the stuff is sweeping through the college campus'. JMU is basically done... they have two beds in use in their quarantine areas. I haven't seen any deaths aside from traffic accident. So it is an argument for cancelling for the 'kids' health when it is really cancelling for 'others' health. Neighbors across the street with three kids in 'club' sports (both outdoor and indoor) all summer and fall without noting any sickness or impact were quite upset when local schools cancelled winter sports. Wrong thread, I know...

Reactions: Lyons212
The PIAA released a wrestling bulletin. Included in it:

Weigh-Ins (the NFHS rules were changed to allow wrestlers to be wearing a uniform during weigh-ins):
With the change to wrestlers weighing in dressed in a legal uniform, this allows us flexibility to weigh-in in a different setting (even if not shoulder to shoulder) due to COVID 19 restrictions.
As an example, weighing in teams at mat side, next to their respective benches would be acceptable during the 20-21 season.

Wrestling With Masks:
Masks worn during wrestling will be treated as special equipment.
If the mask is misplaced, the referee is authorized to stop the match as follows:
a. in the neutral position, when no takedown is in progress, the match may be stopped as soon as the mask is displaced;​
b. if the wrestler is being placed at a disadvantage because the misplaced mask is covering the eyes, nose, mouth or is causing choking, the match shall be stopped so that the proper adjustment may be made; or​
c. in all other situations, the referee shall stop the match only when there is no significant ac- tion taking place. It shall be restarted as following an out of bounds.​
Guidelines for Refs:
- change whistle several times during the day
- Officials may recognize the winner of the match by pointing to the wrestler and raising the
appropriate color wrist band. Contact with wrestlers is discouraged
- Officials may wear masks or face shields
- Mask or face shields are required when not actively officiating the match
- Officials may wear disposable gloves. If worn, they must change after each match
- Consider use of a commercially manufactured whistle cover

These address some of the issues I raised earlier in this thread.

PIAA board mtg is today.

State College superintendent requested PIAA delay winter sports until Feb 1.

^^ This one has me baffled. The PA COVID-19 rules issued on Nov. 17 require mask wearing. As an example, before that date youth soccer players only had to wear them when on the sidelines, during halftime, etc. Since that date, they, as well as the refs, are all required to wear them even during competitions. The rules are at THIS LINK.

From the above link, some specifics:

Does the Order require individuals to wear masks when participating in indoor physical activity?
Yes, a person must wear a face covering when participating in indoor physical activity where another person or persons who are not members of the individual's household are present in the same space, irrespective of physical distance. Face coverings need not be worn if the person meets one of the exceptions in Section 3 of the Order.

Does the Order apply to athletes and sports activities?
Yes. Everyone who participates in sport activities including coaches, athletes (including cheerleaders), and spectators must wear a face covering, such as a mask, unless they fall under an exception in Section 3 of the Order.

Indoors: Coaches, athletes (including cheerleaders), and spectators must wear face coverings, when indoors and where another person or persons who are not members of the individual's household are present in the same space, irrespective of physical distance. This includes while actively engaged in workouts, competition, and on the sidelines, etc.

Outdoors: Coaches, athletes (including cheerleaders), and spectators must wear face coverings if they cannot maintain sustained physical distance from persons outside of their household. This includes while actively engaged in workouts, competition, and on the sidelines, in the dugout, etc. If sustained six-foot distancing can be maintained, face coverings may be removed when outdoors.

If what I have been hearing is correct those dates will most likely need to be moved back if a tournament is able to be held at all.

^^ This one has me baffled. The PA COVID-19 rules issued on Nov. 17 require mask wearing. As an example, before that date youth soccer players only had to wear them when on the sidelines, during halftime, etc. Since that date, they, as well as the refs, are all required to wear them even during competitions. The rules are at THIS LINK.

Does the Order require individuals to wear masks when participating in indoor physical activity?
Yes, a person must wear a face covering when participating in indoor physical activity where another person or persons who are not members of the individual's household are present in the same space, irrespective of physical distance. Face coverings need not be worn if the person meets one of the exceptions in Section 3 of the Order.

Yes. Everyone who participates in sport activities including coaches, athletes (including cheerleaders), and spectators must wear a face covering, such as a mask, unless they fall under an exception in Section 3 of the Order.

Indoors: Coaches, athletes (including cheerleaders), and spectators must wear face coverings, when indoors and where another person or persons who are not members of the individual's household are present in the same space, irrespective of physical distance. This includes while actively engaged in workouts, competition, and on the sidelines, etc.

Outdoors: Coaches, athletes (including cheerleaders), and spectators must wear face coverings if they cannot maintain sustained physical distance from persons outside of their household. This includes while actively engaged in workouts, competition, and on the sidelines, in the dugout, etc. If sustained six-foot distancing can be maintained, face coverings may be removed when outdoors.

If what I have been hearing is correct those dates will most likely need to be moved back if a tournament is able to be held at all.

that seems to be the consensus of most people in the know.

The PIAA has to set dates for postseason competition, so that they have a structure that everyone knows, before the season starts. That doesn't mean they can't or won't modify them if the situation requires them to do so.

Just guessing: could the "supplemental" designation be what allows continuation if a mask is dislodged?

Meaning that masks will still be required, but if they're designated as "required" then continuation is not allowable?

NW AAA Regional just got that much tougher -- only top 2 advance to Super Regional.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT