ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: PennState vs Ohio State FINAL

Gutsy night by the Lions with a huge crowd which was very loud at times, but especially so in the 3rd for Nevills. Have to believe his body pumped a bit more adrenaline with all that noise supporting him. Knowledgeable group too as the numbers clearly knew Nevills' loss by decision meant a meet win for the team.
Had to watch it recorded so only saw the end around 1am.

For the sake of my sanity please tell me that OSU has an actual board where wrestling is discussed. I read through the 11 Warriors Thread and could actually feel myself getting dumber with each post. The fundamental lack of understanding of even the most rudimentary elements of the sport was astounding. It was like reading a written transcript of the Nebraska Illegal Backfist/Stallmate Commentators. Only worse.:eek:
I like the guy who said he never knew there was "halftime" in a wrestling meet. Yeah, that's a hardcore fan. o_O

I thought the comment about the Penn State crowd cheering Nevils for losing was particularly idiotic. Yeah, the sixth ranked wrestler in his NCAA weight class, where he had to have a superhuman effort to avoid being destroyed by (arguably) the single best wrestler on the planet today, ends up making some great, gutsy moves to limit it to a 3 point win and preserving the victory over the number 1 or 2 ranked team in the country... why would you cheer for that guy. Talk about performance under pressure! I would almost argue Nick Nevils was the wrestler of the match.

I like the guy who said he never knew there was "halftime" in a wrestling meet. Yeah, that's a hardcore fan. o_O
Is this the same thread that included a poster who thought our adding Nolf wouldn’t mean anything in a tournament setting since the Buckeyes were set up to be a tourney rather than dual team?

Hahahahaha. A healthy Nolf at NCAAs and that spells big trouble with our holes filling in

Reactions: royboy
It comes down to total match points. PSU was up 12 I believe going into 285. If Snyder wins by 13 or more. OSU would have won.

If Snyder would have won by 8 or more points, then he would have had a major decision worth 4 teams points for Ohio State, so the team score would have been 19-19 with OSU having the tie-breaker.

I thought the comment about the Penn State crowd cheering Nevils for losing was particularly idiotic. Yeah, the sixth ranked wrestler in his NCAA weight class, where he had to have a superhuman effort to avoid being destroyed by (arguably) the single best wrestler on the planet today, ends up making some great, gutsy moves to limit it to a 3 point win and preserving the victory over the number 1 or 2 ranked team in the country... why would you cheer for that guy. Talk about performance under pressure! I would almost argue Nick Nevils was the wrestler of the match.

To the Tosu athletic supporters: FOOTBALL. :eek:

Seems as though Tomasello really caught a break on the headlock.
RIM_0311-X3.jpg

So, PSU wrestles a bunch of backups and still beats the #2 team in the country? Ho-hum...

If Snyder would have won by 8 or more points, then he would have had a major decision worth 4 teams points for Ohio State, so the team score would have been 19-19 with OSU having the tie-breaker.
This is not correct. Snyder would have had to win by 13 or more points. Here are the rules for tie breaking:

3.15 Breaking Ties in Dual Meets and Team-Advancement Tournaments
When two teams finish in a tie in a dual meet or a team-advancement
tournament, the following criteria shall be applied to determine a winner:

3.15.1 Greater number of victories.
Note: Forfeits, defaults and disqualifications count toward total number of victories. Each team would have had 5 victories so you move to the next tie-breaker.

3.15.2 Combined total number of falls, forfeits, defaults and disqualifications.
There were NO falls, forfeits, defaults, or disqualifications so you move to the next tie-breaker.

3.15.3 Total match points scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls. After the first 9 weights, PSU led the total number of points 85 - 73. So in order to win at this point Snyder would have had to score 13 or more points. What if he had scored 12 points? Well, we would then move to the next tie-breaker.

3.15.4 Total near fall points scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls. (Example: N-2 + N-2 + N-4 = Total of 8 near fall points scored for one team. Had Snyder scored 12 points the teams would have been tied through 3.15.3 so they would count up near fall points. PSU led near fall points by 14 - 4.

Great hard fought victory by Penn State. New rankings should have them at #1.

Having spent some time yesterday on the iowa board, I can report that the arrogance of their fan base continues unabated. As we saw last night, nothing is guaranteed, and they may be a tougher out than OSU. That said, I hope Cael and his lads deliver an appropriate dose of humility to the Hawkeye faithful.

Having spent some time yesterday on the iowa board, I can report that the arrogance of their fan base continues unabated. As we saw last night, nothing is guaranteed, and they may be a tougher out than OSU. That said, I hope Cael and his lads deliver an appropriate dose of humility to the Hawkeye faithful.

I noticed that too. The posters on the Iowa board were more upset about Ohio St losing than the posters on the Ohio St board were.

Yes, it's worth the read. Man they hate PSU!

Wow are they a bunch of criers

Hope Snyder is still wondering what happened? All he wanted to do was destroy PSU. Didn't happen!

Snyder is obviously a great wrestler. Too bad for him that he has bought into the oh-high-ya blow hard mentality..... If he wrestled for Cael he would keep his mouth shut and wrestle!!

Iowa board:

"i was of the opinion PSU was going to fall to tOSU because of losing Suriano & Nolf. tOSU is loaded but PSU really showed up to wrestle. All of their guys wrestled hard / smart & Carl deserves credit for that. It really reminded me of the old Iowa teams! We would pull the upsets. This was the Buckeyes match to take but have to give the “we are” team credit. They wrestled hard - for all 7 minutes. It’s going to be very hard to match them when their unranked guys wrestle like that."

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/credit.221562/

Thanks, Chi. That's good Sunday afternoon humor there.
FWIW, former student of mine wrestled at UM. Said it was a great match and clearly Penn State was the aggressor in the match.
But, your link was fun to watch the turning tide and emotions. They're winning, and all is well. First sign of things going south and the f-bombs and MF-bombs are flying towards PS fans. Why? Because they were cheering?

OL

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Iowa board:

"i was of the opinion PSU was going to fall to tOSU because of losing Suriano & Nolf. tOSU is loaded but PSU really showed up to wrestle. All of their guys wrestled hard / smart & Carl deserves credit for that. It really reminded me of the old Iowa teams! We would pull the upsets. This was the Buckeyes match to take but have to give the “we are” team credit. They wrestled hard - for all 7 minutes. It’s going to be very hard to match them when their unranked guys wrestle like that."

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/credit.221562/

hawkeyeinboiseRookie
Agree with OP. As an Iowa fan I didn't have a dog in the fight. While watching I found myself rooting for tOSU, I realized I have a bit of PSU jealousy. Doing the math as the meet went along I thought tOSU had it in the bag after 141. I have to give a ton of credit to PSU. As a pure wrestling fan I could not help but appreciate the effort at 197. Cassar must have felt like a million bucks when he woke up this morning, really happy for that young man. He believed he could win and went out and proved it. The bar is set high for Iowa wrestling, wouldn't have it any other way.

That was some rich reading.

Maybe they should post the rules of stalling and they might find that Hayes stalled his way to a TF rather than fight and give up a pin. So he saved a point. He should have been DQ’d And incidentally, a ref does not consider whether a stalling point will affect dual points. -___-

Do OSU fans understand delay of match? This ref doesn’t. Nor has he ever seen a defensive pin he liked....even when his nose is nearly touching one.

Did anyone on that board know why Ryan threw the brick? It was over whether Martin got the TD on the edge, not whether Bo got one afterwards. The call stood. Martin did not get the TD. Bo’s TD was not reviewed.

Good thing Moore underestimated our backup 197.

And seriously, Snyder WAS throwing shit on the mat he wouldn’t have normally and it cost him. The pressure was on and Nevills....has very obviously been working on a counter to Snyder’s fav TD. Snyder is no less of a wrestler today than he was yesterday. But....I always say, if you stick your neck out you should prepare to have your head Cut off.

Funny stuff in that thread.

They missed us wondering why the ref would award BoJo a TD on Hall when he refused to award us one in the exact same position. But. You know. Home cooking.

Reactions: Judge Smails
This is not correct. Snyder would have had to win by 13 or more points. Here are the rules for tie breaking:

3.15 Breaking Ties in Dual Meets and Team-Advancement Tournaments
When two teams finish in a tie in a dual meet or a team-advancement
tournament, the following criteria shall be applied to determine a winner:

3.15.1 Greater number of victories.
Note: Forfeits, defaults and disqualifications count toward total number of victories. Each team would have had 5 victories so you move to the next tie-breaker.

3.15.2 Combined total number of falls, forfeits, defaults and disqualifications.
There were NO falls, forfeits, defaults, or disqualifications so you move to the next tie-breaker.

3.15.3 Total match points scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls. After the first 9 weights, PSU led the total number of points 85 - 73. So in order to win at this point Snyder would have had to score 13 or more points. What if he had scored 12 points? Well, we would then move to the next tie-breaker.

3.15.4 Total near fall points scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls. (Example: N-2 + N-2 + N-4 = Total of 8 near fall points scored for one team. Had Snyder scored 12 points the teams would have been tied through 3.15.3 so they would count up near fall points. PSU led near fall points by 14 - 4.
At some point you should give up and call it a tie.

Didn't see this link posted - it's Cael's post match press conference. We are very privileged to have such a talented coach, obviously. But such a classy man as well. During the matches he just coaches his kids. Does not cry about calls, and does not even comment on many calls. Uses his challenge when he feels it appropriate. In stark contrast to the crying of oh-high-ya's and Iowa's coaches that look like Duzzy on the sideline regularly. I love it!!

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...andersons-post-OSU-press-conference-114628935

I would prefer they just have the two HCs wrestle to settle it.
That would be Great!

I was reading through some tOSU comments and someone made that comment....That would be comical as Cael would destroy him!

I give credit to the whole team in this one. In tough meets like this, you are not going to win every match. What is important is to limit the bonus points on the matches you do lose. If the first couple of PSU wrestlers got pinned, Nevills match would have meant nothing. Just like in football, you know some teams are going to score on you, but do you give up TD's or FG's.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT