ADVERTISEMENT

WrestleStat Re-Design is ready for prime-time!

andegre

May 18, 2004
Hello Folks! It's taken HUNDREDS of hours, lots of testing, and lots of feedback (thank you), but the new version of WrestleStat is ready to go!

I guarantee you I won't remember every item that has changed, but here are the highlights:

1) The entire layout/template of the site has been updated to a dark theme. I felt this made it easier on the eyes, especially if/when viewing in dark rooms. Some color-blind users have mentioned having problems with viewing some of the pages, if there are still pages/text on the site that is really hard to read, please let me know. (See contact info below)

2) Search feature has received an upgrade; you can now quickly search for dual or wrestler comparisons without having to go through the wrestler/team select dropdowns. For examples, just look at the text box at the top of the site (on EVERY page).

3) RSS Feeds have been incorporated into the site. You can now see up-to-date articles, blog posts, and podcasts for anything wrestling related. If there's a site/source out there that you follow that is wrestling related that's NOT on WrestleStat, let me know and I can get it added assuming it has a valid RSS feed url.

4) Your wrestlers and schools that you follow via WrestleTrak are no longer on the front page. There's now a link called "My WrestleTrak" that will take you to a page to view all of the schools and wrestlers that you follow.

5) Since the homepage has received a re-design and none of the old lists are there anymore (ie top wrestlers, top 10 dual rankings, recent recruits, upcoming duals, etc), they've been moved to their own pages. You can get to these lists from the "Lists" section on the homepage.

6) Rankings update (kind of). The main theme of the feedback I've received about the rankings is "why is EVERYONE ranked". Well, I've updated the wrestler rankings links so it now DEFAULTS to the starters-only version of rankings. You can still get to the rankings pages for ALL wrestlers at a weight by clicking the "View All Wrestlers for {Weight}" green button.

7) The rankings trend for a team/wrestler has also changed a little bit. Previously, there was a red/green arrow next to a number indicating how much that team/wrestler went up or down since the last set of rankings. This has changed so now you will see the standard ranking in white, then in "super"-text, there will be either a red or green number which indicates the trend.

Those are the heavy-hitters at this point. I know there are still little tweaks that need to be made, if you spot something, let us know and will add it to our log. (ie the Donate page, spacing doesn't look very good)

Dan Seifring aka Obrats has been cranking through the team rosters and schedules for this upcoming season, so those will continuing to change as the teams update their websites.

A little note about the rankings....since the algorithm was updated a few months ago, I've found a bug that is not allowing me to re-process the preseason rankings. That bug is going to get fixed in the coming months.

Lastly, as always, any feedback, either positive or negative, is ALWAYS welcome!

https://www.wrestlestat.com

Contact info:

support@wrestlestat.com
andegre@wrestlestat.com
obrats@wrestlestat.com

This site and HR are more interested in beer matchups lately, so this is a breath of fresh air.

But can you adapt it to beer wars?

Reactions: andegre
You are the friggin Man! We love Wrestlestat and it is fortunate for us all that you have both the passion for the sport and the mad skills to manage such a sophisticated tool. Here is a big thank you!

Re: Nick Lee I assume this simply means you see him moving up so quickly you are reserving a place for him. ;-)

I thought the primary means of determining ranking is based upon prior matches, ELO chess, and maybe some proprietary algorithms you have created, hence a lot of new freshman that we all know are top 4 guys, like Spencer last year have to start out down in the rankings until they build credibility at the college level but more importantly a viable data set for your analysis. This leads to 2 questions:

I see you have both Nevills and Cassar ranked at HWT.

(1) there are rumors innuendo visual sitings etc about Cassar going HWT, but I don't think anything official yet. That said you don't list Bo at 197 yet. At what point do you consider information reliable enough to move a wrestler between classes, and can you confirm something specific about Cassar.

(2) Since Cassar has no history at HWT how did you determine his ranking is worthy of #10. If he goes, in time he will move much higher, but I found that ranking interesting to start the season given his somewhat limited sample of matches at 197 let alone his empty slate at heavy.

I am sure keeping up with all of the lineups is nearly impossible so you must be getting a roster heirachy data set feed from each school somehow.

Keep up the awesome work!

Holy crap as I wrote that, Cassar mysteriously disappeared completely from HWY. Ok tell us what you know!!!!!!

Great job, really like how it's filled out. Haven't had a chance to deep dive just yet but it looks great.

Reactions: andegre
You are the friggin Man! We love Wrestlestat and it is fortunate for us all that you have both the passion for the sport and the mad skills to manage such a sophisticated tool. Here is a big thank you!

Re: Nick Lee I assume this simply means you see him moving up so quickly you are reserving a place for him. ;-)

I thought the primary means of determining ranking is based upon prior matches, ELO chess, and maybe some proprietary algorithms you have created, hence a lot of new freshman that we all know are top 4 guys, like Spencer last year have to start out down in the rankings until they build credibility at the college level but more importantly a viable data set for your analysis. This leads to 2 questions:

I see you have both Nevills and Cassar ranked at HWT.

(1) there are rumors innuendo visual sitings etc about Cassar going HWT, but I don't think anything official yet. That said you don't list Bo at 197 yet. At what point do you consider information reliable enough to move a wrestler between classes, and can you confirm something specific about Cassar.

(2) Since Cassar has no history at HWT how did you determine his ranking is worthy of #10. If he goes, in time he will move much higher, but I found that ranking interesting to start the season given his somewhat limited sample of matches at 197 let alone his empty slate at heavy.

I am sure keeping up with all of the lineups is nearly impossible so you must be getting a roster heirachy data set feed from each school somehow.

Keep up the awesome work!
Thank you!

Re: Nick Lee and the #5 ranking. This is a by-product of the bug I mentioned where I'm not able to re-process the preseason rankings right now. If the #5 is missing, that means he either moved up or down a weight. And since I can't re-process yet, that spot will be blank.

#1 - Cassar moving up to HWT was probably done by another user of the site. Kind of surprised that that person didn't move Bo up as well. I/we have zero inside info on anything related to the PSU roster/starters (if @obrats does, he's not telling me :))

#2 - The rankings (#1 thru #250 or so) are all based on the calculated Elo value that each wrestler has. Because it would be way too difficult to factor in, there are no changes to a wrestlers Elo value when they move up or down a weight. When they do switch weights, they retain that Elo value, then there actual ranking number is determined just by where that Elo value falls into place at that new weight. If you look at Cassar's Elo value (go to his profile page, then click the Ranking History tab, it shows as 1375.82. That value slots him at #10 at HWT. Let's say he were to have moved down to 184, a 1375.82 would put him at #16, just before Cash Wilcke. (I stopped showing the Elo value on the rankings pages, so I had to click in to each wrestlers profile to see what each guy was at 184) Not that it matters, but moving down to #16 at 184 tells me that that weight is deeper than HWT, which makes sense with all the guys graduating at HWT.

We don't really have any "ins" with coaches, there are a few random ones (and some super fans too) that send me emails about rosters, weights and starters, but it's no more than half a dozen. Obrats reaches out to some coaches via Twitter, but I don't know what kind of responses he gets back from them. I have been working with one of the assistant coaches of a D2 school, so he updates his roster directly. He's actually the one that pushed me to get the D2 site going. (I haven't checked to see if all the new code is working ok for the D2 site yet, that'll be in the next couple weeks or so....https://d2.wrestlestat.com).

Thanks again!!!

Reactions: pish69
Holy crap as I wrote that, Cassar mysteriously disappeared completely from HWY. Ok tell us what you know!!!!!!
No idea what happened there, unless you're looking at the starters only rankings page, which would make sense since Nevills is still set as the starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT