ADVERTISEMENT

WR Recruiting

africamurphy

Apr 1, 2019
I've frequently documented the "Hackenberg effect" on our WR recruiting through the sanctions era (i.e. Brady's old QB coach got Hack to come which got other elite WRs and TEs and even RBs to come play alongside him). We hadn't seen a run of skill position players like THAT at Penn State since the 90s...Godwin and Gesicki led to Hamler/Dotson and Friermuth...and Barkley and Sanders go without saying
...anyway...
If I'm an elite HS WR watching PSU last night, I'm calling Franklin and Yurcich and Hagan today. Sure, the kid might only get one year of Drew, but you have to trust that PSU could bring in another one after him.

I don't follow recruiting that closely. Are we in the running for any top 100 WR recruits currently? If not, I will be surprised if that doesn't change by December.

Might apply more to a really good receiver in the transfer portal who can come in and play right away with a really good PSU team and Drew at QB.
Agree as by the time any current, top HS WR is ready to play, Allar will probably be gone. Need for current HS QBs to recruit kids in their own class

Reactions: tlbakernc
Agree as by the time any current, top HS WR is ready to play, Allar will probably be gone. Need for current HS QBs to recruit kids in their own class
Many top 100 overall WRs are ready to play as true freshmen. The problem is that most from our region are riding the pine at Ohio St whose QBs look right now like they simply cannot get it to guys like Marvin Harrison. You pair even 1 or 2 of those guys who could be wasting away at Ohio St with Drew and you will have some serious fireworks.

FSU has three wideouts that were not originally recruited out of HS. It’s becoming a portal game. LSU has a QB and RBs who are transfers. Top teams weed the bottom guys out every year so they can bring in 30-35 new guys a year.

Might apply more to a really good receiver in the transfer portal who can come in and play right away with a really good PSU team and Drew at QB.

You all are right. I'm still thinking old paradigms when it comes to immediate success.

That said, the Hackenberg effect did trickle in for a few years. It's what recruits SEE on the field. Like Barkley, recruits still see him doing amazing feat in our basic blue and white...and they want to be THAT guy. (Not Sanders...but every 4 star RB we've brought in after Miles...has been part of the Barkley flow...) If recruits see PSU as an elite passing game place, it's a huge game changer in recruiting.

I've frequently documented the "Hackenberg effect" on our WR recruiting through the sanctions era (i.e. Brady's old QB coach got Hack to come which got other elite WRs and TEs and even RBs to come play alongside him). We hadn't seen a run of skill position players like THAT at Penn State since the 90s...Godwin and Gesicki led to Hamler/Dotson and Friermuth...and Barkley and Sanders go without saying
...anyway...
If I'm an elite HS WR watching PSU last night, I'm calling Franklin and Yurcich and Hagan today. Sure, the kid might only get one year of Drew, but you have to trust that PSU could bring in another one after him.

I don't follow recruiting that closely. Are we in the running for any top 100 WR recruits currently? If not, I will be surprised if that doesn't change by December.
Brady had three super bowl wins before hacks coach taught him the game.

FSU has three wideouts that were not originally recruited out of HS. It’s becoming a portal game. LSU has a QB and RBs who are transfers. Top teams weed the bottom guys out every year so they can bring in 30-35 new guys a year.
I was going to say the same thing. The Nole QB Travis has surely improved since he was captain of the sinking ship, but #4 Coleman from MSU likely had more to do with the W Sunday night than anything magical Travis has done.

And to give Coleman the benefit of the doubt, he did return to the region of the country he is from. His family was in attendance no different than a PSU players' k8n travelling from Boston to State College for a game. Yeah- it is still Free $hoes U...but I felt good for the kid.

FSUs rise is all about the portal and a desparate coach who was on a hot seat. Welcome to the new era of college football...

I agree that the portal is important, and a great way to fill some gaps in your roster but I'm still not convinced that having a mass influx of transfers is a good long term strategy for a stable program. Colorado is a different story as they were a joke of a program before Deion came.

You can look at these situations and see the differences.

It's one thing to gut a roster that didn't win much at all and had not won consistently in years like Deion did. Of course, we still need to let this play out.

Then you have Sparty and Tucker. His portal game worked once, then failed. This year is to be determined.

It's still about getting great players. It's one thing to turn over 5-12 per year if you replace them well. Older non starters for guys with 2-3 years eligibility left or bringing in a guy who starts for a guy who is buried on the DC.

Does Deion replace another 60 players this off season? I would say definitely not. He has the #70 class right now composite, but only 8 verbal. I think realistically, you want 20 of the best HS kids you can get here then ply the portal for best available. If he wins 7+, the portal guys, the good ones, will love him.

Reactions: Online Persona
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT