ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL gets one

No, Imhotep is 6A. They’re another Philly all star team.
Imhotep is 5A. They were the only team to beat Bishop McDevitt during the regular season. McD beat everyone else by 50 points. Tep got shalacked by P-R

Great win for P-R. Can Harrisburg hang with....

Reactions: bison13
Imhotep is 5A. They were the only team to beat Bishop McDevitt during the regular season. McD beat everyone else by 50 points. Tep got shalacked by P-R

Great win for P-R. Can Harrisburg hang with....
Pine Richland also beat Erie Prep, another tough private school.

Reactions: bison13
I'm from eastern PA. I will never root for private/charter schools. Happy for Pine-Richland and hoping H-burg can pull off a miracle.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
PR was 6a but moved down in the last few years. They still play several 6a teams and beat the WPIAL 6a champ North Allegheny this season.
There are without a doubt families that move to PR, and NA too, for the athletics/academics. Both school districts excel in both.

The WPIAL and public schools got another. Belle Vernon won the 3A crown. 9-8. Hell of a defensive game.
I just read the writeup on that. Defensive battle for sure. BV got a FG after a bad Goretti punt. Then later BV was punting deep in their own territory and the snap went over the punters head and into the endzone, and Goretti went up 8-3 after the two point conversion. The same guy that kicks FGs for BV also punts and he got hurt on the punt and couldn't play after that, so it's a good thing BV got that FG out of him while they could since they probably don't have a backup kicker that can make a FG.

So it was 8-3 at halftime and BV got a 2nd half TD to go up 9-8. Then late in the game, Goretti got inside the BV 10 but fumbled and then BV recovered and ran out the clock. So Goretti's offense didn't score at all.

I just read the writeup on that. Defensive battle for sure. BV got a FG after a bad Goretti punt. Then later BV was punting deep in their own territory and the snap went over the punters head and into the endzone, and Goretti went up 8-3 after the two point conversion. The same guy that kicks FGs for BV also punts and he got hurt on the punt and couldn't play after that, so it's a good thing BV got that FG out of him while they could since they probably don't have a backup kicker that can make a FG.

So it was 8-3 at halftime and BV got a 2nd half TD to go up 9-8. Then late in the game, Goretti got inside the BV 10 but fumbled and then BV recovered and ran out the clock. So Goretti's offense didn't score at all.
Pretty good summary there.

I feel really bad for the BV punter. He just went down in a heap with the ball laying right behind him. Nobody even touched him. NG picked the ball up for a TD.

At the end, NG was inside the 2 when they fumbled. The QB for BV then fumbled, but the play had been blown dead otherwise NG would have had a few more shots. BV got the D to jump offsides to give them room for the victory formation kneel.

It was a low scoring but intense game.

If I remember correctly, the 3A game last year was really low scoring. With 2 different teams playing in it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT