ADVERTISEMENT

Would the Selection Committee actually take 2 SEC teams and ND?

Notre Dame still has Miami and Stanford left, with both games on being road games for the Irish. If the 'Furd has Bryce Love back, I could easily envision them beating the Irish.
Stanford aside, I expect Miami will beat them.

All of this talk of how a playoff should be run..... the answer is already on display. What was once D1AA, and is now the FCS, has a playoff system that runs beautifully. The problem is the money tied to the longstanding bowl games. The NCAA can cry about its student-athletes having to play too many games, missing school, whatever.... but they already do it at the levels below FBS. (And I won't even go into the whole basketball side for missing school and too many games.)

You get a true playoff. Each game is hosted by the higher seed, on campus. Conference champs are in, and there are at large bids to be had. But again, too damn much money wrapped up in this bowl system to ever see anything like that develop for FBS. Our best hope is that a hybrid like some of what you guys have described happens with at least 8 teams.
Good thinking, but then the NCAA may have to go back to calling FCS some iteration of DIVISION 2. ;-)

I just don't think the SEC title loser could make it over a 1 loss Oklahoma, OSU, or Clemson.
Your scenario is possible. But if GA/Bama is a field goal game, how would you justify any of the other schools leaping over them? Everyone is still caught up in focusing on when teams lose and to whom, as opposed to looking at the whole resume, which is what the committee does.

...You'd know how to use that saying properly.
The quote flies ... whether you play someone in week 1 or week 10 you still have to beat them head to head. OSU was full strength when they lost to the Sooners, panda. OSU was full strength when they beat PSU. The excuse is that OSU DID NOT beat Oklahoma head to head. And that's not to say the Penn St couldnt beat Oklahoma head to head, it's just that they won;t get the opportunity in a playoff (most likely) because Oklahoma has a better record against the common opponent. I know strange things can happen, PSU will win out -- and they just have to keep their fingers crossed for one of those strange things to happen.

The quote flies ... whether you play someone in week 1 or week 10 you still have to beat them head to head. OSU was full strength when they lost to the Sooners, panda. OSU was full strength when they beat PSU. The excuse is that OSU DID NOT beat Oklahoma head to head. And that's not to say the Penn St couldnt beat Oklahoma head to head, it's just that they won;t get the opportunity in a playoff (most likely) because Oklahoma has a better record against the common opponent. I know strange things can happen, PSU will win out -- and they just have to keep their fingers crossed for one of those strange things to happen.

Except in my response to you, I didn't use "if" or "but".

Notre Dame still has Miami and Stanford left, with both games on being road games for the Irish. If the 'Furd has Bryce Love back, I could easily envision them beating the Irish.

Based on what I saw against Oregon State, a team that was absolutely massacred at home by Minnesota, and how ND manhandled USC, Stanford will get absolutely crushed. Even WITH Love. Stanford may be the most overrated team in the Country.

Miami might be interesting, but I think, based on how they beat NCState and played against Georgia, the Irish win. A one loss ND will then knock us out unless we absolutely trash Michigan State by 100 points. A close win against a team ND trashed will not help us.

If Ohio State beats Oklahoma and Michigan State beats ND, we are sitting at no worse than number 5 right now with Ohio State having the meat of their Conference schedule ahead of them. That's why you sometimes have to root for teams you hate when they play out of Conference.

Your scenario is possible. But if GA/Bama is a field goal game, how would you justify any of the other schools leaping over them? Everyone is still caught up in focusing on when teams lose and to whom, as opposed to looking at the whole resume, which is what the committee does.

Say it's Alabama that loses to UGA.

Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Clemson would all have better wins than Bama. All 3 would have 1 more win and against better competition. I don't think it's possible to take 2 SEC teams and leave out ANY of OU, OSU, Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT