ADVERTISEMENT

World Team Trials Schedule

Nolf was close, I think he looks as good as he's looked as a freestyler. Maybe gave JB a little too much respect. He caught Burroughs for what looked like a four but got called instead for a hands caution, making what could've been a 4-2 lead into a 3-0 deficit.

Nolf was close, I think he looks as good as he's looked as a freestyler. Maybe gave JB a little too much respect. He caught Burroughs for what looked like a four but got called instead for a hands caution, making what could've been a 4-2 lead into a 3-0 deficit.
Well Burroughs stopped because the whistle happened way before the 4. Never would if not for the whistle. Nolf looked really good, but don’t think I’d factor in something that happened well after the whistle into any kind of analysis.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Well Burroughs stopped because the whistle happened way before the 4. Never would if not for the whistle. Nolf looked really good, but don’t think I’d factor in something that happened well after the whistle into any kind of analysis.
I'll rewatch because I thought Nolf caught him flat before Burroughs appeared to give up the takedown.

shouldn't pyles know to stop talking immediately at the whistle because flo cuts directly to a commercial as soon as the match ends?

Reactions: OkieDokieSmokie
70 kg consis: Zain gets Pantaleo next (assuming Pants can go). Winner gets Oliver/Berger winner for 3rd.

79 kg consis: Jason vs. Hidlay, winner gets Carter for 3rd (Martinez forfeiting out).

I'll rewatch because I thought Nolf caught him flat before Burroughs appeared to give up the takedown.
You can watch Burroughs, he stands straight up and doesn’t even attempt to defend. Hands in the air.

I just rewatched and the whistle came right as nolf shot, but also incredibly Burroughs not only didn't land in danger, but also not even in takedown criteria. Maybe Nolf didn't run all the way through him either, but definitely too early in the exchange to say it would have been 2 or 4.

Carter has looked great so far. Aside from a bit of FS-newb-itis for the first 2 he gave up to Lujan, a great tournament. Solid defense and very good offense. Much improved finishing.

I think he’ll turn a lot of his narrow wins into 3-4pt margins of victory this year.

Also, saw him thinking about that inside trip when he gave up the third point to Ashworth. That was something I hadn’t seen before.

Reactions: Kuch96 and Sullivan
Nolf looked really good I thought. Super physical in the hand fight and snapped JB’s head off the mat a few times. The difference was that Nolf got in deep twice and only scored 1 point out of it. JB got in twice and got 4 points. JB is extremely difficult to finish on but Jason needs to finish those opportunities especially the second one where he had the single completely standing. I came away from that match thinking Jason is really really close and is making noticeable jumps in his freestyle game. I think he makes a world team in the next 2 years.

So if Spencer was healthy, a very small 57kg could of most likely made the team at 61kg lol. When is enough going to be enough in terms of destroying his body wrestling college. I wish he’d get healthy and just focus on world teams.

Where is all the PSU guys? Kerk would of been one of the favorites along withNick Lee and Rby(perfect weight for him). Plus Brooks would of been interesting to watch. Even Dean at 92.

While I’m bitching lol if Gable is going to wrestle college he might as well try and win a world title.

Where is all the PSU guys? Kerk would of been one of the favorites along withNick Lee and Rby(perfect weight for him). Plus Brooks would of been interesting to watch. Even Dean at 92.
It was discussed in the other World Team Trials thread that we had going since the Olympics ended.

So if Spencer was healthy, a very small 57kg could of most likely made the team at 61kg lol. When is enough going to be enough in terms of destroying his body wrestling college. I wish he’d get healthy and just focus on world teams.

While I’m bitching lol if Gable is going to wrestle college he might as well try and win a world title.
I could be wrong but Gable didn’t participate for a few reasons one of which being since he is still in college he is only eligible to receive the Dream Fund once a year. So he received it for the Olympic gold. Good move on his part to not only stay healthy though but also not let any results define his worth and value up to this point

Reactions: hlstone
Is Nolf’s future the DT path at 86kg? He looked like he still has some room to fill out.

Is Nolf’s future the DT path at 86kg? He looked like he still has some room to fill out. 2024 at 74kg then make the leap?

I can tell you where Brooks was last night. Carlisle, Pa. IDK why but I woke up this morning to a text from a buddy of mine who is a wrestling coach in Carlisle and a picture of him with AB.

Trying to make a world team and then the obligations that go with being on a world team would likely distract in some measure from not only their upcoming folk seasons for both scheduling and training reasons but from the team's. A lot of these guys have freestyle aspirations and that's partly why they're here but it's also possible to spread oneself too thin. I imagine some of the decision is in the hands of the wrestlers themselves and also that the coaches have a better idea of what's best for them, not just in the immediate sense but the longer timeline as well.

Just going through the brackets to see what's left to happen today (consis start at 11am, best-of-three finals start at 3pm)...

At 61kg, Seth Gross is in the consi finals (Joe Colon evidently forfeited after getting tech'd by NaTo) awaiting the winner of Tyler Graff and Carter Young. Fix (seeded 4th) and Tomasello (seeded 6th) are in the finals.

At 65kg, which had only 6 entrants, Yianni and McKenna are in the finals, McKenna having gotten past a game Evan Henderson 10-9 in a match I'll make sure to go back and watch. In the consi semis this morning, in which everyone entered is in, Dean Heil faces Evan Henderson and Henry Pohlmeyer (South Dakota State, 3x qualifier) faces Luke Pletcher.

At 70kg, it'll be James Green and Ryan Deakin going best-of-three for the world team spot. Both JO and Pantaleo have forfeited, so Tyler Berger and Zain will wrestle for third.

At 79kg, Jordan Burroughs and Alex Dieringer are in the finals. In one consi semi, Nolf faces a familiar opponent--Hayden Hidlay, while Carter Starocci is sitting in the consi finals after a forfeit by IMar, whom I would've never expected to be able to describe as "doughy," but here we are.

At 92kg, Kollin Moore and J'Den Cox are in the finals. Nate Jackson forfeited after his tough loss to Moore (he was up in the first but lost a few close exchanges) so it'll be Drew Foster awaiting the winner of Trent Hidlay and Myles Martin.

At 125kg, Gwiz and Mason Parris are unsurprisingly in the finals, while the winner of Dom Bradley v Jordan Wood will face the winner of Ty Walz v Hayden Zillmer for third.

On the women's side, at 53kg it'll be Ronna Heaton v Amy Fearnside, with the favored Heaton looking to make her first senior team.

At 55kg, 3x world team member Jenna Burkert faces Amanda Martinez.

At 59kg, senior team member Maya Nelson faces Megan Black.

At 62kg, Kayla Miracle faces Mallory Velte in a repeat of the 2019 world team trials, which Miracle won.

At 65kg, 2x world team member Forrest Molinari faces Emma Bruntil, who had been at 62kg recently.

But the match all eyes will be on is at 72kg, where Kennedy Blades faces Kylie Welker, both having recently smashed their way to junior world titles, and both who have trounced their competition at these trials (3 falls and a tech fall between them in four matches.

So far it looks like the men's FS will by on mat 1, but I suppose that could change. Young Graff there right now, followed by Heil Henderson.

Reactions: diggerpup
Carter Young convincingly upsets top seed Tyler Graff 9-2. Young is an incoming freshman at Northwestern. He attended Stillwater High School in OK yet somehow didn't wind up at OSU.

Heil v Henderson has already been more entertaining than all of Dean Heil's college matches combined. Henderson up 8-7 at the two minute mark.

Henderson got the fall midway through the second, while up 16-9.

Last edited:
Heil v Henderson has already been more entertaining than all of Dean Heil's college matches combined. Henderson up 8-7 at the two minute mark.

Had the same thought. Freestyle Heil is so, so much more watchable than folkstyle Heil.

Carter Young convincingly upsets top seed Tyler Graff 9-2. Young is an incoming freshman at Northwestern. He attended Stillwater High School in OK yet somehow didn't wind up at OSU.
IIRC Young moved from Tulsa to Stillwater while in HS, and then somehow didn't wind up at OKST.

Nolf Hidlay now, wrestling up 17 lbs from where they last met. Hidlay warned for passivity. Nolf in fast on a leg, lifts, trips, and then adds two with a tight gut. 4-0. Nolf goes behind for two more off a re-attack. 6-0 at the break.

Hidlay gets to Nolf's leg, finally, but Nolf works out of it.

Nolf with his own single, converts, now looking bow and arrow, switches to a gut, and he gets it. 10-0.

Just going through the brackets to see what's left to happen today (consis start at 11am, best-of-three finals start at 3pm)...

At 61kg, Seth Gross is in the consi finals (Joe Colon evidently forfeited after getting tech'd by NaTo) awaiting the winner of Tyler Graff and Carter Young. Fix (seeded 4th) and Tomasello (seeded 6th) are in the finals.

At 65kg, which had only 6 entrants, Yianni and McKenna are in the finals, McKenna having gotten past a game Evan Henderson 10-9 in a match I'll make sure to go back and watch. In the consi semis this morning, in which everyone entered is in, Dean Heil faces Evan Henderson and Henry Pohlmeyer (South Dakota State, 3x qualifier) faces Luke Pletcher.

At 70kg, it'll be James Green and Ryan Deakin going best-of-three for the world team spot. Both JO and Pantaleo have forfeited, so Tyler Berger and Zain will wrestle for third.

At 79kg, Jordan Burroughs and Alex Dieringer are in the finals. In one consi semi, Nolf faces a familiar opponent--Hayden Hidlay, while Carter Starocci is sitting in the consi finals after a forfeit by IMar, whom I would've never expected to be able to describe as "doughy," but here we are.

At 92kg, Kollin Moore and J'Den Cox are in the finals. Nate Jackson forfeited after his tough loss to Moore (he was up in the first but lost a few close exchanges) so it'll be Drew Foster awaiting the winner of Trent Hidlay and Myles Martin.

At 125kg, Gwiz and Mason Parris are unsurprisingly in the finals, while the winner of Dom Bradley v Jordan Wood will face the winner of Ty Walz v Hayden Zillmer for third.

On the women's side, at 53kg it'll be Ronna Heaton v Amy Fearnside, with the favored Heaton looking to make her first senior team.

At 55kg, 3x world team member Jenna Burkert faces Amanda Martinez.

At 59kg, senior team member Maya Nelson faces Megan Black.

At 62kg, Kayla Miracle faces Mallory Velte in a repeat of the 2019 world team trials, which Miracle won.

At 65kg, 2x world team member Forrest Molinari faces Emma Bruntil, who had been at 62kg recently.

But the match all eyes will be on is at 72kg, where Kennedy Blades faces Kylie Welker, both having recently smashed their way to junior world titles, and both who have trounced their competition at these trials (3 falls and a tech fall between them in four matches.
That 72kg women’s final is the match of the tournament for me.

Trent Hidlay beats Myles Martin in a match that started out boring but ended on a few big moves. There was a challenged call as to whose four that was, but they got it right, it was Hidlay's.

Trying to make a world team and then the obligations that go with being on a world team would likely distract in some measure from not only their upcoming folk seasons for both scheduling and training reasons but from the team's. A lot of these guys have freestyle aspirations and that's partly why they're here but it's also possible to spread oneself too thin. I imagine some of the decision is in the hands of the wrestlers themselves and also that the coaches have a better idea of what's best for them, not just in the immediate sense but the longer timeline as well.
Unpopular opinion: So Tom Brands may know what he's doing after all? :oops:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT