ADVERTISEMENT

World Team Trials - Penn State wrestlers

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
Junior and Senior World Team Trials are fast approaching (June 9-10).
Where do you see PSU guys placing at each weight?

Senior-level:
57KG: Nico
65 KG: Zain
65 KG: Molinaro
70 KG: Nolf
86 KG: Nickal
86 KG: Taylor

Junior-level:
60 KG: (?) Nick Lee
66 KG: (?) Joe Lee
66 KG: Brady Berge
66 KG: Verkleeren
74 KG: Mark Hall
74 KG: Joseph (if he goes)

Neither of the Lee's are wrestling the WTT. Also I am not sure Joseph is eligible for Juniors, I think if he wrestles it will be seniors. Wittlake is wrestling juniors and I would expect RBY to wrestle juniors as well.

Hall-Zain-Taylor get 1st
Nolf and Green are a toss up
Nico-Gilman-Ramos toss up
Bo-Molinaro third
Not sure about the new kids

Both Lee's and Bo Nickal are not competing at Trials. Vincenzo is not eligible for Juniors but is going at the senior level and Luke Gardner is in at Junior 66Kg also.

Reactions: LemonPie
Hall-Zain-Taylor get 1st
Nolf and Green are a toss up
Nico-Gilman-Ramos toss up
Bo-Molinaro third
Not sure about the new kids
I think Nolf is a little bit off Green in freestyle right now, I'd favor Green. Also don't think Nico, Gilman, Ramos is a toss up. Ramos a step above the other two right now and Gilman has 0 quality freestyle wins in recent history

Zain has the ability to defeat everyone in the bracket as long as the refs don't call any "correct throw" or "hands to the face" garbage.

65kg is always very interesting.

Nolf gives up too many points in freestyle right now to take Green.

Zain has the ability to defeat everyone in the bracket as long as the refs don't call any "correct throw" or "hands to the face" garbage.

65kg is always very interesting.

Nolf gives up too many points in freestyle right now to take Green.
I agree 100% --it will be interesting to see Nolf develop into a free-style wrestler after college.
It will also be interesting to see the adjustments he makes from US Open matches..I dont think taking 4th sat well with Jason.

Reactions: ecdcr
I think Nolf is a little bit off Green in freestyle right now, I'd favor Green. Also don't think Nico, Gilman, Ramos is a toss up. Ramos a step above the other two right now and Gilman has 0 quality freestyle wins in recent history
I agree about Green but when Nolf pushed him at the end Green pretty much folded and coasted to a one point win. If Nolf pushes the pace earlier he may own the last two minutes instead of the last minute.
As far as Ramos goes fine :(

Ramos is currently the class of that weight, hope Nico has a great showing. Zain CAN beat everyone at his weight. Nolf's folk style does not translate well to freestyle, but, as mentioned above, a higher pace at the beginning can translate into beating Green. It is DT's time at 86kg.

The brackets are up and I see Berge and Verkleeren in the Juniors 66kg bracket. I don't see Gardner or RBY. Mark Hall isn't listed in either the Juniors or Seniors.

Yes, Hall is waiting in the finals against the winner of the mini-tournament. It's crazy to recall that last year's junior world team trials had three soon-to-be NCAA Champions from Penn State at one weight (74KG): Nolf, Joseph, and Hall.

I agree about Green but when Nolf pushed him at the end Green pretty much folded and coasted to a one point win. If Nolf pushes the pace earlier he may own the last two minutes instead of the last minute.
As far as Ramos goes fine :(
Nolf will get REALLY good in freestyle after college when he has laser focus on freestyle only....He will beat Green bad !!!! Now that he wrestled Green a couple times he will beat him this weekend....He knows what Green wants to do now !!!! Jason is VERY smart....Lot's of film work on Green....

I don't see Yianni D listed in the brackets. Does anyone know why he is not competing?

I don't see Yianni D listed in the brackets. Does anyone know why he is not competing?
He's got mono. I saw this via a mutual friend who is friends with Yanni's mother, who posted on Facebook.

Thank you for the info. That sucks though. Yianni is one of my favorite wrestlers and I would have loved to possibly see him make another world team. Also would love to see him match up with Berge and Verkleeren!

Junior and Senior World Team Trials are fast approaching (June 9-10).
Where do you see PSU guys placing at each weight?

Senior-level:
57KG: Nico
65 KG: Zain
65 KG: Molinaro
70 KG: Nolf
86 KG: Nickal
86 KG: Taylor

Junior-level:
60 KG: (?) Nick Lee
66 KG: (?) Joe Lee
66 KG: Brady Berge
66 KG: Verkleeren
74 KG: Mark Hall
74 KG: Joseph (if he goes)
I think Nico is going to surprise a lot of people on Saturday....He keeps getting better and better in freestyle,,,,

Reactions: dmm53
Ramos is currently the class of that weight, hope Nico has a great showing. Zain CAN beat everyone at his weight. Nolf's folk style does not translate well to freestyle, but, as mentioned above, a higher pace at the beginning can translate into beating Green. It is DT's time at 86kg.
Banger my brother, I actually disagree (unusual) Nolf style IMO a version of DT just need a little tweak and poof, Green ( a world medalist) loses. Zain v Tank (best of three) is just wow Kung fu. Taylor v. Cox Best of three keeps me interested, Joseph v. Anyone little hint DONT TRY A BEAR HUG!!! Lol. Nico I like against all but NATO, although don't thing they will meet. Hope to see you for finals.

Reactions: dmm53 and Dogwelder
Verkleeran's going to have to work on his gas tank.

Pletcher on mat 2.

Just watched the two Berge matches. Love watching him: such a high wrestling IQ and instincts, doesn't expend unnecessary energy, not going to put himself in trouble but still creative.

Great sequence with 30 seconds left in first against Hornickle, who had Berge in a front headlock and Berge lowered his level and turned that into his own double.

Reactions: diggerpup
guys, can you switch the discussion about the actual Junior Trials to the Junior Trials thread

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT