ADVERTISEMENT

Words that are mispronounced that drive you crazy .........

Thus Spoke Mainer

Mar 6, 2012
My favorite, FORWARD. It's pronounced FOUR-ward. Not FOE-ward.
It used to be only a New York thing. Now it seems it has spread throughout the entire country.
Okay, keep it in New York if you want, but outside of New York, it's FOUR-ward.

My favorite, FORWARD. It's pronounced FOUR-ward. Not FOE-ward.
It used to be only a New York thing. Now it seems it has spread throughout the entire country.
Okay, keep it in New York if you want, but outside of New York, it's FOUR-ward.

What's with people not pronouncing the letter "T" ? Does anyone under the age of 30 pronounce “Putin” or “mitten” correctly???

What's with people not pronouncing the letter "T" ? Does anyone under the age of 30 pronounce “Putin” or “mitten” correctly???

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Adam Shine, who does Shine on Sports show on Mad Dog, does this all the time. I think it's a NY thing.

Et cetera not ek cetera.
This mispronunciation has reached epidemic proportions.

Then when it should be than.

I could go on forever about the word forte but I will just say that it is not pronounced for-tay, at least properly it is not given what Americans think it means. It involves the Italian and French meanings of forte and it’s respective pronunciations in each language.

Route. Rhymes with root.
You rout an enemy.
Funny story. I was working for a primarily U.S. company in Australia a decade ago. I found out from the locals that "root" has a similar local meaning to what "F*ck" means from a sexual connotation. About six months later my company created some saying that used "rooted in..." as a part of the saying. They put out t-shirts, built banners, billboards, etc. intended for global distribution. All of the stuff in Australia was quickly taken down once the Aussies shared with the U.S. marketing people that it's not a good idea to use that word in Australia. Ooops.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Consortium.

Con-sore-tee-um vs con-sore-shum.

Although I have heard that both are acceptable.

Not a mispronunciation, but an improper use.

People constantly saying or writing “I seen” and it drives me nuts.

For example: I seen Joe down at da bar yesterday.

This is especially prevalent with residents in my home area of NEPA among the less educated groups. I understand many grammar mistakes in written form and am willing to forgive, but this one doesn’t even sound right people.

I have too many to reasonably list, especially with the misuse of apostrophes in plurals.

But one that I see more and more all the time is 'suppose' instead of 'supposed', or 'use' instead of 'used', and similar. Examples:

That team is suppose to be good this year. incorrect. They are supposed to be good.

You use to be cool, but now you are so anal that you correct grammar mistakes. incorrect. I used to be cool.

I am putting down the keyboard now and backing away, because I know that my fellow board members will fill in nearly all the others for me. And I thank you all for that.

Crayon

How it should be pronounced: cray on
My wife pronounces it: crown
Never heard that until I moved to Kentucky. One of my daughters had a teacher working on homophones and gave the example of crown and crayon. My head almost exploded. I told her to tell the teacher she was wrong the next day at school. It doesn’t even make sense.

Reactions: paddoce
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT